Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The afterlife, what do you think happens?

Noble

as the title says, what do you think?, do we go to heaven, or do we get reincarnated?, or what the buck happens?, i personally believe we get Reincarnated, but i wanna know what you think!

I would like to believe there is life after death. Unfortunately there is no evidence to support this so all I can really do is just stick to my belief that there is an afterlife.

Either that or you just float in purgatory forever.

Edited by Lady Rainicorn
  • Brohoof 3

I think there is no heaven or hell only darkness. When you die it's like all your data gets erased and there are no back up files. Hopefully I'm dead wrong.

Give it a few decades and you will be.

And I don't know about any of you but when I die, IF I die, I'm gonna haunt Bill Cosby's toaster.

• Brohoof 5

Well as much as I would love to be optimistic and say we all go and live out or deaths happily ever after in heaven with angles and music and all that jazz, I was unfortunately cursed with the fate of being a hardcore atheist. So I believe that nothing happens after you die and that you simply cease to exist. Of course until I die I won't know for sure, and after I'm dead I don't see myself caring too much.

Edited by TheSteampunkNinja (TSN)
  • Brohoof 2

Well...we're dead. Your body just ceases to function and exist. Just complete darkness. Yes, it's a scary thought, but it's more believable than some man in the sky or some demon in a fiery place. Reincarnation is an interesting idea though, I'll give you that much.

• Brohoof 2

Personally I am able to believe in a few things.  I can believe in a God because it was the way I was born and raised.  I can believe that we are reincarnated because in my view, it`s not that outlandish, what I cannot believe is that we will never be once again as even math cannot disprove this completely.

So the universe has forever been and will always be.  Suns will die, but suns will also once again be born.  Planets will form again in the future via another big bang or whatever happened in the past.  The only thing we know is that this is a never ending cycle.  How many times has this happened before?  What are the chances that in the future a brain will be assembled just like your current brain and you will once again come into what is reality, just in an uncountable number of years in the future?

Infinite is a number the human mind cannot comprehend, but with an infinite amount of time, isn`t anything possible?  For all I know I could have lived this exact life a million times over, only slighly different, possibly the same, or completly seperate from what has happened before.

What happens?  Choose what you want to believe.

• Brohoof 4

What happened to you before you were born? Exactly.  ;)  The conscious mind ceases to exist, there is literally nothingness. There's no perception. Imagine your life before you were born, and that is how the afterlife is. Your body stays behind, and if it is placed in a pine box, eventually returns to the Earth. 

• Brohoof 3

nothing happens after you die human consciousness is generated through your brain to when that stop working it over. i have died for five minutes from major dehydration so if something does happen i don't remember.

This topic has ravaged my brain and I used to lose a lot of sleep thinking about it. I have finally come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter. Whether there is nothing or everything, we really shouldn't worry/think about it. We're never going to know for sure what comes after death. It will drive you insane thinking about it. I would gamble on nothing or reincarnation as the two most likely things that happen though. Imagine living in an afterlife for eternity. 

Infinity is a scary thought

Edited by Dark Moon
  • Brohoof 2

Well as much as I would love to be optimistic and say we all go and live out or deaths happily ever after in heaven with angles and music and all that jazz, I was unfortunately cursed with the fate of being a hardcore atheist. So I believe that nothing happens after you die and that you simply cease to exist. Of course until I die I won't know for sure, and after I'm dead I don't see myself caring too much.

For both of our sakes, I really hope that we're right about the Heaven/Hell/Sometimes Purgatory thing. I can't imagine being an atheist and living in fear of floating in nothingness of eternity.

• Brohoof 3

For both of our sakes, I really hope that we're right about the Heaven/Hell/Sometimes Purgatory thing. I can't imagine being an atheist and living in fear of floating in nothingness of eternity.

I don't believe in floating in an empty black void for over an eternity after I die. I believe is absolute nothingness, no consciousness or anti-gravity or anything else silly like that. I believe you completely cease to exist, all your memories and thoughts are totally 110% extinguished. It might seem dark, but like I said, it's not like you would be in a very good position to mind all that much.

Complete nothingness. That's what I honestly think happens and it's a bit freaky. You stop existing basically. You won't know it because you won't be able to know. No memories, thoughts, or anything. Just nothing.

I'm an athiest.

While I know I'll be proven wrong, it could either be full of an endless darkness abyss of a never ending dream, or a reincarnation of a new life.

Join the club.

We have jackets.

I don't believe in floating in an empty black void for over an eternity after I die. I believe is absolute nothingness, no consciousness or anti-gravity or anything else silly like that. I believe you completely cease to exist, all your memories and thoughts are totally 110% extinguished. It might seem dark, but like I said, it's not like you would be in a very good position to mind all that much.

Oh you, you mustn't be so literal minded. We're thinking about the same cessation of existence. Since I'm a big fan of the paranormal, I think that one's already disproven, what with extra dimensional specters and hauntings. But, I'm almost sure you're a skeptic about that, so don't take my word for it.

But if it's not too much to ask from the both of you, could you have a little hope that death isn't the end?

• Brohoof 3

Well. First of all, there is no hell. Hell is a lie. 

I hope we get to go to our own version of heaven. That this life is only a test, and when it is over we finally get to be at peace and live in harmony with ourselves. 

• Brohoof 3

I'm not completely sure about this, and it's something I've thought about a lot, and to be honest, I'd say we get reincarnated into something different while losing memories of anything in the past life, for all I know I could of lived 100 different lives in the past, I'm not sure, it's just something one thinks differently and well I can't be too certain of my theory at all.

• Brohoof 1

I was thinking of avoiding this thread because of my religious views but I suppose no one has to listen to me. When you die you go a face God. You are either forgiven, which is what happens when you believe and follow God; or you are damned. When you are damn you are eternally separated from the presence of God and cast into Hell. In Hell there is no comfort, there is no light, there is torture, their is weeping, there is gnashing of teeth. The other people who get to go to heaven spend eternity basking in the glory of God. So take what you want out of that, its pretty extreme for our very politically correct society.

• Brohoof 2

Oh you, you mustn't be so literal minded. We're thinking about the same cessation of existence. Since I'm a big fan of the paranormal, I think that one's already disproven, what with extra dimensional specters and hauntings. But, I'm almost sure you're a skeptic about that, so don't take my word for it.

But if it's not too much to ask from the both of you, could you have a little hope that death isn't the end?

Well of course I hope for it, but I also hope that I sprout wings and learn to fly, in my own beliefs there is no way it could possibly happen, but I still wish for it. On the other hand you can never really know for sure, I could find out that I grew wings in my sleep when I wake up tomorrow.

Also I would believe in ghosts, except for the fact that I have been begging for a ghost to come and haunt me for years now and it hasn't happened yet, so if there really are ghosts out there and they passed up a chance at some free haunting, well all I can say is that I am incredibly disappointed with whoever is running the afterlife.

• Brohoof 1

Sadly, I don't believe in anything after death.  I think it's a lovely sentiment, an afterlife and all that, I really do.  I just have a hard time believing in something I can't physically grasp or look at documented photos of.  I can see photos of the moon.  I've yet to see a legitimate documented photo of the 'pearly gates'.  

I'm not bashing any religion, don't get me wrong.  I think people have a right to believe in whatever they want to believe in, so long as it's not infringing on the rights of others in the process.  I'm happy there are some who can blindly follow a being they've never seen.  I think I'd be a lot happier if I thought I didn't just disappear after death.

I believe in ghosts but that's another matter entirely.  Something to do with a spiritual resonance left behind.  In some cases you don't even have to be dead to have a ghost.  A ghost, to me, is a really delayed shadow.  It will mimic your actions and can sometimes interact with the physical world.  Basically it's a hologram that can move/touch things.  That's just what I believe anyway.

I personally believe in reincarnation. Depending on your actions it depends on what you reincarnate. If you were a low-life then you reincarnate into probably the lowest of the low. If you were good bu not so good you reincarnate into an animal. If you were super good then you reincarnate into top of the food chain. Lol jk all I can say is I believe in reincarnation after death.

No religion bias on me i'm a nonpracticing christian, but i like to believe we do go on to something greater as being in our body is more of a learning experince as anything, were we go rather it be heaven, paradise or what other religions call we dont know but i think they mostly got it right abd it's the most awesome, as in awe inspiring, place there is, but thats just my opinion i may be wrong

I was thinking of avoiding this thread because of my religious views but I suppose no one has to listen to me. When you die you go a face God. You are either forgiven, which is what happens when you believe and follow God; or you are damned. When you are damn you are eternally separated from the presence of God and cast into Hell. In Hell there is no comfort, there is no light, there is torture, their is weeping, there is gnashing of teeth. The other people who get to go to heaven spend eternity basking in the glory of God. So take what you want out of that, its pretty extreme for our very politically correct society.

I still think it is wrong for /any/ religion to damn people to hell. I grew up in the southern baptist church, and I was forced and brainwashed to believe this sort of nonsense, and I still have mental and emotional problems related to what people did to me this day. 

I've since become buddhist/spiritualist, And I long for truth and peace, and for others to see that that is what truly matters. I think it is absolutely wrong for anyone to deserve eternal punishment like that. And for organizations to spread lies and hatred such as that. 

I don't mean to be a dick. I just personally went through a lot of abuse, conflict, and suffering due to those attitudes being instilled into people. 

• Brohoof 1

When we die, our consciousness is transferred directly onto our MLP Forums account, where we are doomed to live forever in a pastel-colored digital hell of our own creation.

I know this is true because I'm actually dead right now and have been for the past 17 minutes.

• Brohoof 5