Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The afterlife, what do you think happens?

Noble

Personally, I believe whatever you think happens to you, is what happens. If you believe in Heaven, cool enjoy Heaven! If you believe in reincarnation, get ready to be reincarnated! If you believe nothing happens, well then nothing happens. I like the idea of everyone being right. Personally I believe in reincarnation, so I think I'll be reincarnated, but I don't think that's what's going to happen to everyone.

• Brohoof 1

There have been people who have been officially dead several hours and revived, there bodies were cept near frozen so no cell damage occured. when they were revived and asked if they saw anything, all report just blackness. nothing. 

To quote gregg: they were dead, just not quite dead.

This brings up an interesting point.

If they were able to recall what being in a state of death was like, that could mean human "consciousness" is something that exist separately from the body's biological functions. If that's the case, maybe they were stuck in a state of "limbo" still trapped in a non-functional body and cut off from everything on the outside because whatever force governs things didn't think it was time and expected they'd come back.

Such a concept that the state of the body can affect the soul as long as the two are connected could also explain why some people that have degenerative diseases of the brain experience moments of clarity right before death. It's the point where they're starting to break free and "waking up".

Okay, I call bullshit on this. Regardless of whether or not what most of Christians believe is true or not, this is just inconceivable. How could nonbelievers possibly deserve more punishment than murderers, rapists, child molesters, and so on? I don't personally believe that afterlife is a certain thing, but if Hell is real, and it punishes people for being atheists, why would it only punish them? It seems to me as though it would be more likely for horrible people to be punished than it is for those who simply chose not to believe in something for their own reasons.

That's why I hate a lot of Christian Dogma even though I'm a(admittedly self-practicing) Christian. Much of it goes against the nature of what God is, and is described as. As I view it, God God would act the irrational and petty ways some of his followers do.   

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 1

I don't know, I pretty much have the same feelings and beliefs as you do but I also believe that if we start over, we should probably think back to our past mistakes and what we've done wrong and use the lessons that we learned about life

We should be able to begin our lives anew with the belief that no matter what happens to us and no matter how great or small the sins we commit are, we should always do what we can to atone and repent for them, live on to this day in honor of those who have lived peacefully until the bloody chaos of war became more common and that we always have our friends, strangers or not, to help us in times of great dire and need. That's what I believe in when the world as we know it finally comes to an end for us people, that I do.

• 1 month later...

So I have this topic spread around my home, school and town every now and again but they are always the same, I suppose those with the same culture usually have the same beliefs, so I got thinking, what would different cultures, religions and mindsets think?

personally I have what I like to call "the afterlife control theory"

Which basicly means that your beliefs and dreams will dictate your afterlife. so if you believe you get to be a pony and live in Equestria after your human death, then that's what you get!

(that is what I actually believe also :) )

And now I pass the thought provoking staff onto you guys, what do you think,

no matter how silly or awesome it is, it is what you believe and no one can take it from you.

So post away!

(edited)

I've often considered the same thing, that what one truly believes will become the truth in their afterlife. Religions are too varied and too widespread for there to be any one truth or if there is a truth it's likely not what anyone on this planet believes.

I'm a believer in the multiverse though and that there are many things humans cannot understand no matter how smart we've become so that fuels my belief of such things.

Essentially it means that any religions or belief systems that are no longer believed by anyone are essentially dead such as Greek mythological gods.

I should make it very clear though: What actually happens in the afterlife is inconsequential to me. If there is a single truth and I happen to end up with the short end of the stick then I will accept this as it is the bed that I have made for myself. I live my life for the purpose of living my life, not to make my lot in the afterlife better. It's a waste of a good 80+ years to spend it all trying to please someone or something that may or may not actually be true when there's so much to life that I would have to give up in order to do so.

Edited by Discordian
  • Brohoof 2

I don't believe in any kind of afterlife. There's just no evidence that anything like that exists. Not that I have an issue with anyone who does.

As long as I make the most of my time here on earth, I'm satisfied with that. :)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

God pats you on your head and wishes you better luck next time.. and then you get reincarnated in a new body. Done.

Edited by Guest

(edited)

Surprisingly one of the reasons i'm a Christian. I don't want to believe that after I die thats it, I die. I don't believe in that, 'you live on through the earth' stuff. I want to be able to believe that when I die, I live again and NOT CEASE TO EXIST!

Edited by Mr.Green
  • Brohoof 1

Well...I believe that it matters on your religious beliefs, I for one hope to die in a big fight and go to Valhalla, but if I die a peaceful death, then I'll probably go to Hel...which brings me to one awkward point. I believe that Heaven may exist, after all it's been around and mentioned through history for a very long time, but Christian Hell doesn't exist. The reason I say this is because Christian Hell was "borrowed" from the Norse afterlife Hel, adding an extra L to avoid confusion, and the Greek underworld. It was created by Christians to scare Wiccans and Pagans into converting. So in short, I believe that almost any afterlife is possible, depending on belief and such, just not something you can think up and instantly go to after death...

Nothing. I don't personally believe in anything myself, seeing as how I'm an atheist and all. The thought of nothingness is actually quite terrifying but it's personally what I think will happen. Think Otherwise? Fine by me, I respect your beliefs as long as you respect my non-beliefs. 

• Brohoof 2

Nothing. I don't personally believe in anything myself, seeing as how I'm an atheist and all. The thought of nothingness is actually quite terrifying but it's personally what I think will happen. Think Otherwise? Fine by me, I respect your beliefs as long as you respect my non-beliefs. 

I understand... but its just that, it really scares me to know that i'll just die, and thats it. Which is why I wish to be famous for being a good person and spread my views(don't worry, not religion.) Which also why I despise science sometimes. The thought of just non existence.... it really is terrible, and terrifying. Thanks for sharing your opinions though! :D

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I don't believe in an afterlife for individual beings.  When one dies, one's individual consciousness does with it.

However, I am also of the belief that consciousness is an emergent property of not just the mind, but the universe as well, it just can only be seen through one entity's eyes at a time, at least for every person, as if there is some other mechanism that prevents us from directly seeing another person's perspective.  I think that when one particular viewpoint stops working, it is somehow randomly transferred to another being.

I know it's not a coherent theory by any means and can name a lot of problems here, but it is the best I got without wasting half my Sunday researching the problem of consciousness.

Edited by JustFairness

(edited)

Mr.Green, on 02 Mar 2014 - 3:03 PM, said:

Surprisingly one of the reasons i'm a Christian. I don't want to believe that after I die thats it, I die. I don't believe in that, 'you live on through the earth' stuff. I want to be able to believe that when I die, I live again and NOT CEASE TO EXIST!

I would honestly prefer absolute nothingness, where I cannot think or feel anything, to a potential eternity spent in agony. But one's wishful thinking does not make truth. If that turns out to be true that's where I'm headed without a doubt. No matter what the afterlife brings, however, it will not change the fact that you existed in the first place. Edited by Discordian
  • Brohoof 1

I think that logically there is no afterlife.

But, being brought up as a Catholic, I've got a slight hope that we live on in some form, content and aware.

I would honestly prefer absolute nothingness, where I cannot think or feel anything, to a potential eternity spent in agony. But one's wishful thinking does not make truth. If that turns out to be true that's where I'm headed without a doubt. No matter what the afterlife brings, however, it will not change the fact that you existed in the first place.

I have nightmares of it though.... I die and then just black, nothing. I love the fact that I feel. Happiness, anger, love, betrayal, joy, sadness, bravery, all of it. And to have all that just torn from me is scary. I don't know why but it is. Thank you though. I try to keep my mind off of it though, so I don't go scaring myself and get paranoid. I still have a life ahead of me! Got to remember that! And so do you! ^_^

I have nightmares of it though.... I die and then just black, nothing. I love the fact that I feel. Happiness, anger, love, betrayal, joy, sadness, bravery, all of it. And to have all that just torn from me is scary. I don't know why but it is. Thank you though. I try to keep my mind off of it though, so I don't go scaring myself and get paranoid. I still have a life ahead of me! Got to remember that! And so do you! ^_^

The thing about nothingness is you wouldn't experience it. There's really no reason to fear it because it's not like you'll be floating around in this "blackness"

There's literally nothing. You just end. You wouldn't even know that things ended, that you even had a life or what it means to be dead. If you did have any sort of experience that wouldn't be nothingness, that would be an afterlife, albeit a boring one.

• Brohoof 1