Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The afterlife, what do you think happens?

Noble

Consciousness is caused by the neurons being stimulated by electrical impulses travelling through the brain. When we die, these electrical impulses stop happening, so I believe it is only logical to say there is no consciousness after death.

Snip

Hello! I'm just letting you know that we had two other topics concerning the afterlife, so I merged all three together. Thanks! :)

As for me, I'd like to believe there's a much better place for humans after life on earth. It gives me hope and something to strive for. How glum would it be to die on this planet and then cease to exist in any way, shape, or form afterwards? :(

• Brohoof 1

I always believed your mind goes into a peaceful dream mode and your soul calmly rests forever. Of coarse if there is an afterlife that's somewhat Earth-like that would be kickass! 

I believe that whatever you believe will happen, to an extent. Your 'soul' or whatever you like to call your consciousness can never be permanently be stuck in one place, but if you don't believe in an afterlife welcome to a few many years of nonexistence! But eventually you'll be brought back into the cycle of existence that I think is the truth of reality, the many universes and potentials for life...

As for me, I think I get reincarnation into a new life. Who knows what it is, something probably crazier than my wildest dreams!

(edited)

I was unfortunately cursed with the fate of being a hardcore atheist. 

Question - isn't that a personal choice rather than a set fate? I would not force either side of that choice onto you, I am simply saying that it is in fact a choice in which you have total freedom.

But in regards to the topic, yes, I am a Christian and I believe in Heaven and Hell. I believe this due to personal experience which, in my humble opinion, transcends/surpasses "evidence."

However, if I needed any evidence, I'm sure that I could find quite a bit to convince myself. That's not a problem.

Edited by Night Shine

(edited)

Question - isn't that a personal choice rather than a set fate? I would not force either side of that choice onto you, I am simply saying that it is in fact a choice in which you have total freedom.

But in regards to the topic, yes, I am a Christian and I believe in Heaven and Hell. I believe this due to personal experience which, in my humble opinion, transcends/surpasses "evidence."

One time I was sleeping when all of a sudden I saw lights outside the window, so I looked out and saw a flying saucer just before it disappeared and left no trace. No one else saw it, but since I did you all should believe me.

Edited by TheSteampunkNinja (TSN)

(edited)

One time I was sleeping when all of a sudden I saw lights outside the window, so I looked out and saw a flying saucer just before it disappeared left no trace. No one else saw it, but since I did you should believe me.

I won't believe you. However, I won't question your choice to believe from your own experience. ;)

Another aspect of my point that I don't think I conveyed very well is the fact that there is such a surplus of "evidence" that I could go onto the Internet and convince myself of literally anything. If I wanted to convince myself to become an Atheist, I could find evidence to do so. If I wanted to convince myself further to become a Christian, as I demonstrated at the end of my previous post, I could.

Given that there is such a surplus of "Scientific Theories" backed by "Legitimate Evidence" that will be disproved in T-minus five minutes and then proven again in T-minus ten, I prefer to trust something that I have personally deemed trustworthy for non-empirical and unscientific reasons.

Edited by Night Shine

You know, you guys don't have to see the afterlife to believe in one. We have to go somewhere, right? I mean, though our bodies rot in the ground, our souls must go somewhere else. I do believe in an afterlife. :)

• Brohoof 2

As for me, I'd like to believe there's a much better place for humans after life on earth. It gives me hope and something to strive for. How glum would it be to die on this planet and then cease to exist in any way, shape, or form afterwards? :(

I disagree. Eternal life would be the worst possibility for me. Even eternal bliss in heaven would end up boring after trillions of years. If your thoughts stop after death, boredom is impossible.

And even after death, you don't just "cease existing". You live on through the repercussions of your actions during life, and in the hearts of your loved ones.

I'm not really sure what comes after death. I don't think it's just a black void of nothingness though. Now what it is that's after death, I don't know. Do we reincarnate? Do we go to a heavenly afterlife? 

Anyways, I've read a lot of stories about kids recalling past lives. That's pretty interesting.

Also, what about ghosts, and spirits? I've seen "orbs" before, so that makes me curious about this said "afterlife". 

I'm curious about what happens after we die. Only time will tell. 

Even though I'm an atheist, I sort of believe in reincarnation.

I know that I don't believe in heaven/hell but the most probable outcomes, in my opinion, are reincarnation or nothing (which absolutely mortifies me).

Honestly I'm not sure what to think... I was raised catholic to believe in heaven and hell, but I don't think you can ever be too sure, no one can. The only ones who can be sure are those who have gone, and whatever they have or have not experienced after passing is just something we'll have to wait to see or not see whenever it is that we all pass.

What I believe though, is that there is indeed an afterlife of some sort. I don't know what it could look like, where exactly it is in existence(hell, perhaps it could just be something that exists in one's shut down mind), or even if you would meet your departed loved ones there, but all I can really say is that I just believe in it. :)

For me the afterlife is not some other-worldly realm, but an extension of life. After death, all consciousness ends, and the physical body breaks down. Just as every plant and animal you have ever eaten has become part of you, you are broken down to become a part of other living things. You are gone, but your "life", that essence and energy splits, into ever smaller pieces, bonding with nature.

In my opinion, I strongly believe we would become spirits (or ghosts) with the same personality. We would still do what we like doing until the time we get reincarnated into other beings. Life is so fascinating on our planet.

I've been getting through this sort of concern since then. All we can do try and overcome your fears and worries and keep growing strong.

• Brohoof 1

Oh an interesting topic indeed. Hmm... Well I have a few ideas. 
1st: Science pretty much explains everything possible quite accurately so I guess we just stop functioning. Imagine it like we'd all stop thinking cuz that's pretty much the reason we are aware of our lives. But what's the fun in a scientific idea like that which brings me to the 2nd one.
2nd: I have a strong imagination so I can also believe that after we die we are reincarnated as something else. Perhaps after we die we could also be spirits trying to find a way to "exist" again. 
3rd: Maybe we aren't alive to begin with. There's no way you can prove anything's real beyond your own senses and who knows how much they could be lying to you. After we die our children still remember us, so do our grandchildren but after that nobody remembers you unless you did something important for mankind.

And finally I can tell you that no matter what happens after we die it's important we enjoy our lives! You probably won't care after you die so just be happy with the gift you were blessed with. :)

You die, but then you get sent to another world that is like earth, but is not earth. It would be exactly alike though, same people, same buildings, same environment. You will also be yourself there. Think of it as Earth 2.0.

(edited)

I think there is no heaven or hell only darkness. When you die it's like all your data gets erased and there are no back up files. Hopefully I'm dead wrong.

There is proof. NDE are metaphysical, people who say it's DMT are just ignorant and in denial. Chemicals don't cause people to float above their corpse in real time....

Edited by TheMarkz0ne
  • Brohoof 1

A while ago, I read the book Journey of Souls by Dr. Michael Newton. (Shoot me a PM if you want a larger quantity of excerpts) He's a psychologist specializing in hypnotherapy who puts people into a trance to diagnose various illnesses stemming from suppressed experiences. He stumbled upon a way to take people into past lives, and even the "void space" between lives (which is not an accurate statement, in the same sense that life is a void space between dreams.) and is able to cure various psychological maladies through this method.

He has accumulated a very clear picture of what happens before life and after death (same thing) through out his years. He's not the only one doing this, either. Dolores Cannon, Ian Stevenson, and Brian Weiss are other such practitioners. I sincerely doubt that there is some hidden convergence of these people to "get their stories straight" in order to sell some books while they continue their profitable practice which required a doctorate in something.

They are all individuals who opt to remain out of the "New Age" limelight so as not to sully their professional reputation. I really don't have a reason to believe that their motivations have been compromised, as indeed, stretching one's practice into what is known as "woo" is a surefire way to get your name blacklisted from the professional community. It's shaky enough ground as it is.

(edited)

Well after you die, the cells in your body begin to dematerialize and decompose. After that they put you in a giant oven, and burn you until you have dematerialized to a pile of ashes and Calcium. They then put you in a jar and bury it somewhere.

If you haven't already guessed, I do not believe in the implausible whimsical nonsense that is the "After-lif." The only things that reincarnate are unstable radioactive isotopes. 

Sources: Science 

Edited by DATA EXPUNGED

(edited)

What do I think??? Well...not to go into a dissertation based upon my religious beliefs and personal speculations, I'll just say after life comes death, and after death comes this...

110117882_640.jpg

Edited by Treble Bolt

You know, you guys don't have to see the afterlife to believe in one. We have to go somewhere, right? I mean, though our bodies rot in the ground, our souls must go somewhere else.. :)

I don't understand this line of thought. When we die out bodies shut down and our brains turn off. As you said our bodies rot in the ground. Why does the stark scientifcally based reality that we live in suddently stop and a magical realm and existence suddenly kick in? Sure it's not fun to think that its over when you die but its also sad to think that people imagine these unrealistic scenarios where they live eternally just to feel better about the stark future. I mean I like the idea of equestria but i know its not a real place. I liked the idea of a Santa Claus and Tooth Fairy but they don't exist. The greek gods and horoscopes are kind of cool but i don't place stock in them. I like the general idea of god and heaven but i believe there's absolutely no evidence they do either. At what point do people start using their eyes and minds and stop reading into selective fables written thousands of years ago? There's nothing wrong with making do with the brief life you have and making the best of it. You always remain in the hearts of the people who remember and loved you during your time here. That really is still something.

I don't think your soul or anything goes anywhere. Once you're dead, you're just dead. You don't know about anything going on. You're dead and gone. Nothing else happens imo.