Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The afterlife, what do you think happens?

Noble

Lol, The minds of teens/older teens now a days...

xD It's a fair confusion to make. Googling 'Binding of Isaac' leads you to nothing but pages about the game, at least it does on my end and I've never googled it before today.

And hey! I'm an older teen and I still know the difference between the game and the biblical story XD

I'd like to think I'm one of those sane people.

Also, It bothers me when people try to forcefully convert others. Whether you're trying to convince someone to believe in the Giant Flying Spaghetti Monster, or that there is no deity/deities at all. I find that it's better just to live, and let live. I'm not saying that you can't debate/talk about your differences, but beliefs shouldn't be spread by the sword.

I had a fair amount of experience when it comes to people forcing religion down your throat.

xD It's a fair confusion to make. Googling 'Binding of Isaac' leads you to nothing but pages about the game, at least it does on my end and I've never googled it before today.

And hey! I'm an older teen and I still know the difference between the game and the biblical story XD

Because you at least know about religion!

I had a fair amount of experience when it comes to people forcing religion down your throat.

Because you at least know about religion!

I just have an interest in learning about all religions. Hence why I chose to study the Christian religion at GCSE and then again at A Level xD IDK why I find it so interesting, I'm not sure.

I just have an interest in learning about all religions. Hence why I chose to study the Christian religion at GCSE and then again at A Level xD IDK why I find it so interesting, I'm not sure.

Maybe because something tells you it's true?

I don't know what happens to our consciousness, or soul as some would call that, but I'm sure what happens to our body - it goes the way of all flesh. In other words, it turns into lifeless, rotting sack of meat and bones. It may sound a bit harsh, but that's the truth.

• Brohoof 1

Maybe because something tells you it's true?

Well yeah... I believe all religions are true... and not having a religion is also true. They all exist so they have to be true. My religion is not any more true than someone else's.

With knowledge of every religion, you are able to decide which one fits your already existing beliefs best and for me, it was the UU religion.

I'd like to point out a fact to maybe quell this debate. The crux of this argument going is is this assumption that the old testament is 100% fact and completely correct in it's interpretation of the facts, and that God is really completely responsible for those acts and we 100% know the complete nature of these events.

Assuming God did do horrific things, I could pull a card and give a very interesting interpretation of the Crucifixion....     

• Brohoof 1

Well yeah... I believe all religions are true... and not having a religion is also true. They all exist so they have to be true. My religion is not any more true than someone else's.

With knowledge of every religion, you are able to decide which one fits your already existing beliefs best and for me, it was the UU religion.

This doesn't make sense. Two things that contradict each other cannot be true. The Bible and the Quran can't both be true words of God. Brahman and Allah can't both exist and so on. If I make a religion that worships Mario does that make Mario true?

Edited by Rivendare

This doesn't make sense. Two things that contradict each other cannot be true. The Bible and the Quran can't both be true words of God. Brahman and Allah can't both exist and so on. If I make a religion that worships Mario does that make Mario true?

If you truly believe that Mario is your God then I have no reason as to see why it isn't a true religion. I may believe differently and I may disagree with you religion but that doesn't make you religion any less true. It makes perfect sense.

I think we may be using different definitions of the word 'truth' here.

And I believe at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what book you follow or what god you believe in (if any). Nothing comes of it. Religion is nothing more than answers to questions that don't need answering and a basis for morals and ethics.

Edited by EllEssEss

If you truly believe that Mario is your God then I have no reason as to see why it isn't a true religion. I may believe differently and I may disagree with you religion but that doesn't make you religion any less true. It makes perfect sense.

A religion based on Mario would be less true than Christianity for example. Mario is universally accepted to be a fictional character in a video game created by humans. There is no evidence whatsoever to support Mario's existence. Jesus Christ on the other hand has been practically proven to have been a real human being and some of the Bible has historical evidence to back up some of its claims.

Just like how practically no one worships the old Greek and Roman Titans and Gods such as Zeus and Apollo anymore as its widely accepted that these beings are not real based on evidence pointing to their stories being false.

If anyone believes that Mario is their God they are incredibly delusional

Edited by Rivendare

Aww man this question.... 

You know it is not going to matter what I think would happen anyways since there are *so* many beliefs out there that say what will happen to us. You search for the truth yourself and what you believe makes sense then that would be your option as to what you would think would happen to you when you die. Everyone sees through a different worldview so what one may believe to be truth is going to sound stupid to someone else.... 

So my answer is go find what explanation works for you. I am a Christian so I do believe life after death however as I said before that is not going to matter I'd go check out a person's testimony of a death related experience and they were brought back to life. There are a few of those and I'd say that would be your best bet in knowing what happens after death.

Edited by Ticking Timebomb
  • Brohoof 2

A religion based on Mario would be less true than Christianity for example. Mario is universally accepted to be a fictional character in a video game created by humans. There is no evidence whatsoever to support Mario's existence. Jesus Christ on the other hand has been practically proven to have been a real human being and some of the Bible has historical evidence to back up some of its claims.

Just like how practically no one worships the old Greek and Roman Titans and Gods such as Zeus and Apollo anymore as its widely accepted that these beings are not real based on evidence pointing to their stories being false.

I'm pretty sure that Jesus and God is accepted to be fictional character created by humans (Atheists etc.) Many various people believe that. Jesus may have been proven to exist but there is fuck all to prove he was the spawn of the immortal creator other than the bible.

There is evidence to disprove everything and to prove everything. Religion comes down to an opinion based choice.

Edited by EllEssEss

Okay, finally I caught up to this thread, sadly it's mostly about religion rather than the actual question, oh well, nevermind...

I don't think people should bother about the question what happens when we die. Nobody can tell and nobody will ever be able to tell what it's like. I am certain nobody can say that they know for 100% certain what happens after death. All things mentioned are theories and that's what they will be in the end. Theories. Some say they will go to heaven when they die, others to hell, some believe in reincarnation while others think there is nothing.

I've been asking this question to myself a lot of times but no matter how hard I try, I simply cannot imagine what happens after you die, I have not experienced it (or at least I cannot remember experiencing it). There is a time when you will find that out, but that time has not come yet. As for near death experiences, I highly doubt them, simply for the fact that everyone saw something different when they were "dead". However I would like to mention some theories that have caught my interest:

1. After you die, your life "resets".
By that I mean we are brought back to the time of when we first were born, a reason for me to think this theory might be something is for people experiencing their life in their last moments, could it not be possible for them to turn back in time to when they were born? After all time is something we are bound by when living, not after dying. This could explain a typical Deja-vu where memories are momentarily brought back from your "past life" after experiencing a scene in your life.

2. You do not die, you simply start "dreaming".

This one is also pretty interesting. Have you ever had a dream that felt so real that you were actually having emotions about it? Even after waking up? That might be a result of a life you have experienced before you died, meaning living in a different dimension entirely where other physics etc work. Not to mention that (at least) I sometimes feel like I'm a supernatural being full of energy when still almost asleep but knowing I am lying in my bed (before my actual senses come back).

3. You are still around but others cannot hear or see you.

This is my third theory I came up with. I often had the feeling of being watched and I felt someone's presence around me while doing something but in the end I was alone. This might only be my sixth sense talking here but I have a feeling there is something around us that cannot interact with us, maybe a being that has been here before. The reason I tend to believe in that theory is our very own mind. I cannot imagine how our brain has to work in order for us to have certain thoughts, feelings etc (some of them are explainable but the majority simply isn't) and these thoughts and feelings of the "remaining" are the things that are around with us, giving us certain emotions that we cannot explain ourselves, maybe one day we will be exactly that.

"Now I return to the earth.

Wind blows.

Rain falls.

The strong prey on the weak.

All is as it should be."

Monsoon's dying words in MGR.

i've never given much thought into afterlifes and the like (if there is, i've decided i want it to look like equestria which is impressive considering before i just wanted a ton of women... MLP works in mysterious ways....)

I do like the idea that all things return to the earth, it may not be true incarnation as religious picture it but it is a change beyond death and even science states that energy can neither be created or destroyed so who knows where the energy that makes a person aware goes after death.

• Brohoof 2

I'm pretty sure that Jesus and God is accepted to be fictional character created by humans (Atheists etc.) Many various people believe that. Jesus may have been proven to exist but there is fuck all to prove he was the spawn of the immortal creator other than the bible.

There is evidence to disprove everything and to prove everything. Religion comes down to an opinion based choice.

Your whole assessment is that all religions are true and that none are more true than another. Mario has no evidence. Jesus has evidence. Evidence > No evidence, therefore Christianity is more true than a Mario religion. Some religions are just absolutely insane and dangerous (Scientology, Satanism, Heaven's Gate, etc.), these of which should not be encouraged and supported as "just as true" as any other religion.

Edited by Rivendare

Your whole assessment is that all religions are true and that none are more true than another. Mario has no evidence. Jesus has evidence. Evidence > No evidence, therefore Christianity is more true than a Mario religion. Some religions are just absolutely insane and dangerous (Scientology), these of which should not be encouraged and supported as "just as true" as any other religion.

I don't see how you can say Scientology is any more dangerous than Christianity. Christians constantly purged Pagans for centuries. If that doesn't constitute as a dangerous religion then I don't know what does.

All religions are true. Some may be wrong, but that does not mean they are not true.

I'm Christian, protestant to be exact. I believe that once you die you either go to heaven which is whatever you want it to be. It could also be that once you die you'll just disappear into darkness and you just don't exist I have no idea how that would be but when we weren't born we were in that darkness. Maybe we are all just old souls that have existed for a long time and we constantly begin a new life but I don't know I want to believe in heaven just your own personal paradise that's what I want to believe at least.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94
  • Brohoof 2

I don't see how you can say Scientology is any more dangerous than Christianity. Christians constantly purged Pagans for centuries. If that doesn't constitute as a dangerous religion then I don't know what does.

All religions are true. Some may be wrong, but that does not mean they are not true.

In modern times, Scientology is one of the most dangerous religions. Browse through the Wikipedia page on Scientology to see what I mean. They scheme you out of thousands of dollars to rid you of make believe "Thetans" (which are alien beings that were deported off their planet 76 trillion years ago by the evil "Lord Xenu")  so that you will "live a happier life".

I'm confused as to what you define "true" and "wrong" as. Google defines them as:

True - "In accordance with fact or reality"

Wrong - "Not correct or true"
Edited by Rivendare

I'd go check out a person's testimony of a death related experience and they were brought back to life. There are a few of those and I'd say that would be your best bet in knowing what happens after death.

The problem with that is that these people nearly died. None of them have actually died.

And as for all of those people who "Died" at hospitals and were "Brought back" through medical procedures. Those people who "Died," didn't really die. Those machines with the lines that beep monitor your heart NOT your brain. As I have stated before, people are not physical beings. People are intangible personalities that are the result of a series of electrical-chemical processes that take place in their brains.

The heart is there to sustain the body that sustains the brain that sustains the electrical-chemical processes that cause consciousness, and personality, essentially the person in question. If the heart goes out, and fails to to its job, the brain will soon follow. However, the heart's end doesn't necessarily mean the end of that person.

Edited by Commander Urdnot
  • Brohoof 3

In modern times, Scientology is one of the most dangerous religions. Browse through the Wikipedia page on Scientology to see what I mean.

I'm confused as to what you define "true" and "wrong" as. Google defines them as:

True - "In accordance with fact or reality"

Wrong - "Not correct or true"

Wrong - Immoral

True - Reality, exists, is fact, can be observed. (Yes you can observe a religion.)

My definition of wrong is relating to ethics and morality. Not just a standard dictionary definition.

Edited by EllEssEss

The problem with that is that these people nearly died. None of them have actually died.

And as for all of those people who "Died" at hospitals and were "Brought back" through medical procedures. Those people who "Died," didn't really die. Those machines with the lines that beep monitor your heart NOT your brain. As I have stated before, people are not physical beings. People are intangible personalities that are the result of a series of electrical-chemical processes that take place in their brains.

The heart is there to sustain the body that sustains the brain that sustains the electrical-chemical processes that cause consciousness, and personality, essentially the person in question.

Maybe so... 

I'd personally stay away from discussing such a question over the internet though. Topics like these I generally keep my mouth shut for obvious reasons.