Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Super famous forum memebers

Best Username Ever

(edited)

I have noticed there are a few forum members who are so popular everyone knows there names and there statuses hit the comment limit and just out of interest i am wondering how do these people become the forums celebrities i am just a regular old forum user who isn't known by anyone and i do want to make a lot more friends here like those popular people so i have more then a handful of notifications when i log in so i can spend longer talking to people on here. I always worry people won't like me because i am boring and my profile doesn't say much about me.

Edited by Best Username Ever
  • Brohoof 2

From what I've seen from 'popular' members, they tend to be ridiculously nice, make extremely good posts, or are just funny to be around. All of them have something about them that made them 'popular' in the first place. However, I would recommend making close friends with people instead of trying to get popular, popularity doesn't really matter. I'm sure you're fine, just send the occasional PM to people or add people to your friends list and try to get to know them a bit, that's all it really takes to make friends. 

• Brohoof 8

(edited)

Basically, to be popular, you have to fit more or less of the following criteria:

1. Go back in time and join the forums in 2011 when it was just starting up

2. Type in colored text for no reason

3. Spam the living hell out of the forums with constant status updates, posts, and topics

4. Be a "super fan" of a pony to show everyone your power level

5. Start a "clique" of sorts between other popular members

6. Brohoof everything

7. Have a large, bright avatar and signature

8. Praise everything an admin or mod does

I kid, I kid...In all seriousness, don't worry about it. Popularity doesn't make someone better than anyone else. It can change people for the worse a lot of the times. At the same time, being popular doesn't mean they didn't deserve their "status" if you will. Personally, I would desire real friendships and discussions on here rather than popularity

Edited by Rivendare
  • Brohoof 24

It's not the popularity part of it it's more the friendship part and the something to do here part i only ever have a few notificatiosn to respond to then i get bored.

Also i fear when i add people they will be like who the hell is this guy and un friend me

• Brohoof 2

It's not the popularity part of it it's more the friendship part and the something to do here part i only ever have a few notificatiosn to respond to then i get bored.

Also i fear when i add people they will be like who the hell is this guy and un friend me

Well, when you add someone as a friend you automatically receive all of their status updates in your notifications. Add more people who you like and/or want to see their status updates. Most people accept all friend requests. If you want you could send them a PM or two to get to know them better or to simply introduce yourself

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I remember the days when "super famous forum members" meant FinestHour and his 150 notifications within a few hours. Good god, that boy posted up a storm and everyone loved him.

Edited by Discordian
  • Brohoof 6

(edited)

There is always someone I can recognize or know from other forums, whenever I write in a forum. But I just don't really feel the need to know everything they're doing and their updates. 

Edited by SweetieBelle456
  • Brohoof 2

I don't like labeling people as "popular" because everyone on this site is popular amongst their friends in their own ways. Just because someone is super well-known on here doesn't necessarily crown them as popular. I mean, yea it's cool if someone ranks as an Alicorn on here, but it's just a pointless picture under your avatar. I've had a few Alicorns actually take part in my threads. It was cool to see that they responded, but I didn't see them anymore important than anyone else.

• Brohoof 3

From what I've seen from 'popular' members, they tend to be ridiculously nice, make extremely good posts, or are just funny to be around. All of them have something about them that made them 'popular' in the first place. However, I would recommend making close friends with people instead of trying to get popular, popularity doesn't really matter. I'm sure you're fine, just send the occasional PM to people or add people to your friends list and try to get to know them a bit, that's all it really takes to make friends.

Me and you are most popular members 2k10+9-5 4eva.

Best thing to do is keep posting and make sure they're on topic posts and to comment on status updates. If you're a friendly person, you'll be popular in no time.

I mean, yea it's cool if someone ranks as an Alicorn on here, but it's just a pointless picture under your avatar.

I've had a few Alicorns actually take part in my threads. It was cool to see that they responded, but I didn't see them anymore important than anyone else.

Yeah, the post count avatar is kind of misleading. Some people work to get a higher post count in order to "gain popularity" because their name is everywhere on the forums.  I see someone as being popular if they actually contribute to discussions in a more meaningful, productive manner.  The 100 minimum character limit actually helped with that, but now that 20 is the minimum, many just take advantage of that.  I like the new minimum because there are many topics where you just want to be short and sweet with an answer, but there needs to be more of a balance, and though the moderators are trying to make things productive overall, there will always those who only care about post count and not meaningful discussion.

(edited)

A pinch of egoism, or a dash of unique presence is required to be memorable, and either way your posts better be damn poignant or freaking hilarious. Either way, one does not stumble into popularity easily. (Or, very often.)

I just see popularity to be a big contest on the forums. Especially with ranking. What I do is I friend the new brownies because they'd usually like it if they got a friend

'Tis a matter of perspective, that. Unfortunate that many do unnecessarily see it as a popularity contest, and from that comes many a saga of pretty pathetic forum drama. Good on you for being a friend for the newest members.

Edited by Blue
  • Brohoof 2

Hello!

Hmm, well... I believe the famous people here are known for being either extremely nice and funny, taking up staff duties or being an artist. Ohh! Huge avatars and signatures are also a must... Don't forget all those gifs and a huge profile page to keep them viewers coming. ^_^

Either way, popularity shouldn't be a priority in these forums. If you pay attention to the quality of your posts you'll get noticed soon enough. It's always better to have a few amazing friends than have hundreds of people stalking your profile. But then again, all that power does sound tempting... :lol:

I have noticed there are a few forum members who are so popular everyone knows there names and there statuses hit the comment limit and just out of interest i am wondering how do these people become the forums celebrities i am just a regular old forum user who isn't known by anyone and i do want to make a lot more friends here like those popular people so i have more then a handful of notifications when i log in so i can spend longer talking to people on here. I always worry people won't like me because i am boring and my profile doesn't say much about me.

One day (hopefully sooner rather than later), you'll realize how useless it is to worry about being popular.

• Brohoof 1

5. Start a "clique" of sorts between other popular members

Clique.jpg

(I blame @Sugar Cube for this one.)

Speaking more seriously, longevity and publicity tend to go a long way in cementing one's notoriety. It shouldn't play a role in judging the worth of a member, however, as some of the best folks around are the ones you don't always see.

• Brohoof 4

Another topic about famous Bronies?

I've noticed a ton of topics based solely around this ego-feeding nonsense lately, I'm just glad that everyone here seems to have their heads screwed on properly. It's fun to get noticed but not to be popular, don't ever get the 2 mixed up.

Personally; I don't know a single 'popular' Brony here, so I can't really say anything about them in all fairness. I myself don't relish the idea of being popular, noticed yes but not the same extreme as you'll begin to find that people will create an image of you in their own minds and set their standards/expectations of you according to said image. When you fail to be seen for who you really are then you have a problem.

Happiness is something that we should all pursue, fame isn't always necessarily the way to go about achieving it though.

Eh... I'd imagine being 'popular' on a forum requires a lot of time on your hands. Lots of time to always make your presence known on the forum. Introducing yourself to every (or a lot of) new member (and trying to relate with them), posting in a lot of topics, and communicating with other members via replies (but not in an argumentative way) and messages, etc. etc.

It probably also helps to be in a smaller community, but the thing is... I don't know that you'll ever get popular by wanting to be. The only communities I ever remember really being 'popular', it just came naturally.

But look at me now, just another random member here. xD

Seriously, don't worry about being 'popular'... Just worry about having fun... Because trying to be popular probably won't get you there. Just be yourself and if it happens, it happens, and if it doesn't... So what? If you became popular and loved this community, it will only make it more painful when all of the members that you love to communicate with leave, and that does happen.

• Brohoof 1

No mere mortal users of this forum can ever compare to greatness of the Helix Fossil.

On a more serious note, I don't know. Some people just seem to be more popular than others. The good thing about this forum though is that everybody is generally nice, and we all seem to get along so popularity really doesn't matter at the end of the day here.

• Brohoof 2