Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Scootalove so popular?

Mywas

I can relate to scoots in a very relevant way.

She has the inability to fly (and most likely won't get it)

I have the inability to truly express my feelings about someone... Which means I most likely won't be able to have a meaningful relationship.....

As to why she's so popular.... Well ^^^^...... She's easy to relate to.

• Brohoof 1

Poor little filly; so alone with no parents and is behind her peers. I want to scoop her up, take her home, and teach her how to ride a motorcycle (for some reason) and shower her with ooodles of love

:catface:

• Brohoof 4

• 8 months later...

I believe Scootalove was started as a means of counteracting Scootabuse. These days it pretty much outnumbers it greatly (a very good thing in my opinion), and as we learn more about her, I think it's taking on different forms. Also, it doesn't have to involve her being an orphan who's adopted by Rainbow Dash, or any kind of overly sappy stuff. It could just be the two of them spending a day together or just having a good time. It doesn't even have to involve Rainbow Dash, it could be anypony: Her parents, one of the other mane 6, the other crusaders, etc.

I (and many others) love it because we feel she deserves happiness and affection rather than abuse and rejection. Even if she's not your favorite, I think you'd feel the same if you saw it that way.

• Brohoof 4

I think it is because people feel sorry for her.  It is my understanding that Hasbro has stated categorically that 1) She is NOT an orphan, they just haven't shown her parents.  2) She is not related to Rainbow Dash (at least, not closely related) & 3) She is NOT crippled.  Like Fluttershy, she is just slow to fly.

In Sleepless In Ponyville, she is over the moon about a casual compliment from Dash.  All the CMCs worship the ground Dash flies over, but Scootaloo worships the most. Ironically, Dash barely knows S is alive & doesn't have the time of day for her.  I know what that feels like.  No, the one who could really help S is Fluttershy.

In Dash's defense, I would say she is 19.  When you were 19, how much time did you spend w 12 year old kids?

I am not a big CMC fan, but S is my favorite because she has the most problems & usually doesn't let them get her down.

• Brohoof 3

The whole appeal to Scootaloo is that despite her prominence throughout the series, she's still a very blank slate. She's also become a very easy punching bag to some (she is to the fandom what Spike is to the writers of the show) because of her position in the show, with the chicken jokes, her inability to fly, and her complete and inexplicable lack of a known family.

Scootabuse to many, myself included, is mean-spirited and the most extreme incarnations of it are nothing short of sickening to think that some in the fandom actually believe this stuff is funny. Scootalove reacts to this by loving Scootaloo for the demeanor, attitude, and ambition that makes her a lovable and relatable character, and calling attention to the potential that she has for future character development.

In a show full of successful ponies, Scootaloo is the underdog. We all need a good underdog story to relate to, and this is the closest MLP has come to that.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Despite their not being biological siblings, I see Rainbow and Scoots as being sisters every bit as much as AJ and AB or Rarity and Sweetie Belle.  "Scootalove" says that it's possible to be family because you feel like family.  If you can't relate to that...  I don't know what else to tell you.

• Brohoof 1

• 11 months later...

RD and Scoots not being actual sisters makes their relationship all the more meaningful. They truly care for each other because they want to, not because they have to. They also have an ideal kind of bond where they both help to make each other better ponies; Rainbow gives Scootaloo the encouragement and support she needs, and Scootaloo helps to bring out Rainbow Dash's more caring and sensitive side. Their two episodes together in Season 7 did a lot to build on this dynamic. It's just wonderful to witness, imo.

Edited by n1029
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...

Cause she's a chicken. At first, I was really surprised because I thought Apple Bloom was the most popular CMC (it is for me), so I was amazed to see her in third place on the poll, and Scootaloo (not my favorite at all) on the top.