Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

King Sombra Fan Club

Castle Bleck

I'm not going to lie when I say he's one of my favorite designed villains in the series so far.

Also as a villain, yes he wasn't the best, but he did a great job for the most part.

That, and give him credit, at least he did as much chaos as possible like taking control if the crystal empire back then.

(edited)

Alright, we needed one of these.

I really do love Sombra. Screw all the flak he gets! I think he exemplifies how this show doesn't conform to obvious clichés as easily as other shows do. Nope, Sombra isn't one of those villains that loudly announces their plans in front of the hero crew before enough amount of time spent maniacally laughing for them to get blasted (that there is the structure for 97% of all cartoon villains ever). Nope, Sombra was a damn smart unicorn, and he stands out for that reason.

Speaking of unicorns, that's another thing I like about him. He's not a mystical creature like a Changeling or a Draconequus... he's just a unicorn! It shows how any amount of darkness can grip you and turn you into an evil spirit from an outset of a totally normal, common pony race. He's the same, racially, as Rarity or Lyra, and I think that's great food for thought amongst other things.

I also love his motivation. He doesn't care about jabs at the crew, all he cares about is making sure nobody got their hands on the Crystal Heart. He's one determined villain. There are subtle touches that show he's a mastermind; the throne that only opens to dark magic (reckon he assumed the heroes to only know good magic), the staircase, the mirror doorway. No other villain in the show has done anything like that. It's a great crux for all sorts of fan theories and fiction.

Oh, and you can't deny he makes for amazing fan art.

war_of_the_equestria_by_ziom05-d5quvbl.j

Edited by Flipturn
  • Brohoof 7

Don't compare Sombra to Caligula.

If he was Caligula he would have turned the Crystal Palace into a nasty place filled with foals and creatures and gallons of booze.

Caligula was a gross, gross man. Not just violent and corrupt.

• 3 weeks later...

Sombra is epic.

He is the most successful of the MLP villains (Chrysi is second) and he is the most bad ass cloud ever!

He is also the most villainous villain in the MLP universe as he ENSLAVED an entire kingdom. Forget emperor Palpatine, that is UNLIMITED POWAH!!!

• Brohoof 1

I don't like comparing him to Caligula. Caligula was batshit insane, as in, he told his soldiers to attack the ocean

Better to compare him to Stalin or someone like that wasn't just a deranged moron.

I like that he was one of the few villains to not just be brute strength(he was fairly weak most of the episode) but on intelligence. Also, he tried to eat Spike

I don't like comparing him to Caligula. Caligula was batshit insane, as in, he told his soldiers to attack the ocean

Better to compare him to Stalin or someone like that wasn't just a deranged moron.

I like that he was one of the few villains to not just be brute strength(he was fairly weak most of the episode) but on intelligence. Also, he tried to eat Spike

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. I don't think Sombra was truly evil, just that he became mad because Celestia had to spurn his love.

• 4 weeks later...

No, Smaug sounds more eloquent, his voice is less growly. This sounds more like Chattur'gha to me

To be honest, if I had to pick a voice actor for Sombra in his prime(before being turned into a ghost) it'd be Peter MacNicol

I found this interesting

• Brohoof 2