Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Why do so many people hate on country music?

Oblivion

why is it that every time their is a topic on any forum based on genres of music, people always tend to say something along the lines of "I like everything except country" when a lot of country music has just as deep of meanings to it as most any other kind of music, in some cases more so!

Me I like just about EVERY kind of music, just kind of depends on what mood I'm in, but I simply love good ole country music from time to time, hm, just don't get it!

• Brohoof 4

I'm personally not a fan of country, it's probably one of the few genres I don't actually listen to often, if at all. I guess it's just because of the way most country artists sound? I'm not a fan of country accents , so I would prefer not listening to it. It just doesn't interest me as much as the other genres. Of course, living in Ohio, country music is pretty common here so it gets annoying having to constantly hear it. I find hating on it to be pointless since you could always just not listen to it. To each their own, I guess.

I like country, but only some of it. Meaningful, generally older stuff. New country is something I dislike though. When it's just all "Beer and Trucks" kinda junk. 

• Brohoof 6

I'm sure there are different reasons. I personally have never delved into country music so I can't necessarily say whether I generally like the genre or not.

Johnny Cash is probably the only country I ever seriously listen to, and one could argue that he really transcended the country genre with how good he is.

For me, I like the sound of the instruments used in country songs, but I don't really like the lyrics or the subjects because it's hard for me to relate to them I guess. I'm not really a country boy.

• Brohoof 3

Country music is defined by it's general lack of production focusing on very simple mixing with one goal: vocals loud as shit, everything else in the back, to a far greater extent than most other genres. Now, all cultures across the world have music like this that's heavily vocals focused. It would depend more on the quality of the singer then, and I think the problem a lot of people have with country is that the singers chosen, who get focus in the mix, tend to have a rather nasal and annoying timbre to their voices, which is a hallmark of the genre in the first place. The dreaded southern twang accent.

I don't care, personally. If I like a song I like it, genre be damned. Also, Avicii with that country crossover with house music.

• Brohoof 1

I like country, but only some of it. Meaningful, generally older stuff. New country is something I dislike though. When it's just all "Beer and Trucks" kinda junk. 

Some new country is alright though, such as "Whiskey lullaby" and "Amarillo sky", but I agree with you to some extent, some of it IS crap!

Johnny Cash is probably the only country I ever seriously listen to, and one could argue that he really transcended the country genre with how good he is.

For me, I like the sound of the instruments used in country songs, but I don't really like the lyrics or the subjects because it's hard for me to relate to them I guess. I'm not really a country boy.

Lol, Johnny Cash is amazing, and yes, I can see how a non country boy would would have trouble relating...YEEHAW :yay:

• Brohoof 2

Because I don't like the topics the songs are about usually lol. That and the fact I was raised in West Virginia and I hear it.... constantly.

Luke Bryan is okaaaaay though ;) along with a few others.

I'm a country boy,so I love country!

It's mostly because of the modern country music, it is absolute garbage.

What about Darius Rucker?

All of his songs are beautiful.

• Brohoof 1

Alot of modern country is cringe-inducing, but I think another contributing factor is that country music is the music of rural white people and in the U.S., the media tries to condition people to think that rural white people are stupid and/or evil. That's why it's a pleasant surprise to see a character like Applejack in a show like Friendship Is Magic.

My exposure to country music is lacking; I do like Johnny Cash though and Jerry Douglas' dobro is awesome...though that is more bluegrass than country.

Admittedly most of ther songs are about chewing tobacco trucks and girls etc, but they actually have a few VERY deep songs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH0HGDzB_nY

They sound only passingly similar but for some reason, the beginning of this one reminded me of Lost Souls by David Banner.

Either way, this was actually really good!

And ya know, some folks have said that country is really just the non-city form of rap. I mean, you could easily replace the subjects of chewing tobacco, trucks, and girls with weed, fancy cars, and girls and you could hardly tell the difference if it wasn't for rap and country sounding different.

Now, that doesn't go for all country or rap, but the mainstream forms most definitely.

• Brohoof 2

Wow.....I don't know bout most of you, but I love Country.  (However, you could say i love country music from the 70's to 90's).  Now its jut a wreck to listen to.

BTW, one of my favorite country singers are John Denver, so if you say other wise:

fotus_rage_by_halorecons12-d795w1j.jpg

FEAR ME!!!!!

• Brohoof 2

It's not just country, lots of music fans hate on other genres. Like, pop music fans will get mad if someone comes up and calls them "A mainstream fan". Music fans always have opinons on other music fans.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I think it's because of the stereotype that all of country music is painfully Redneck(which I don't find bad. I'm sort of a Redneck myself and I have a soft-spot for "Wal-Mart Country" as I've heard some of it called.).

Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of stereotypical depressing "drowning your sorrows" type country with the exception of a few songs. My taste leans towards County-Pop/Rock and Outlaw Country when it comes to the older stuff.

I still stand by my opinion that Johnny Cash's "Hundred Highways" is one of my favorite albums of all time and one of the best albums ever put together. It may be mostly covers but he puts so much heart and soul into them that you can really feel the music. It's feels almost like his final reflection on life and goodbye as he makes his peace and prepares to make the journey home. It's sad and fitting that the final song is a re-recording of "Free From the Chain Gang Now"  

Oops, sorry. I think I just went off in a tangent and starting gushing about Johnny Cash. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 2

It's not just country, lots of music fans hate on other genres. Like, pop music fans will get mad if someone comes up and calls them "A mainstream fan". Music fans always have opinons on other music fans.

I know, but it seems that country always seems to get the short end of the stick....

• Brohoof 1

I know, but it seems that country always seems to get the short end of the stick....

Yes, but I see TONS of people hating on dubstep every day, and have you SEEN the crowds of pop-music haters? I mean, someone chucked a shoe at Harry Styles awhile ago, and let's not forget that water-bottled that got thrown at Justin Bieber.

• Brohoof 4

To be honest, and completely contradictory to this thread, I really don't like... well, "modern country", I guess. I also find that song about beer and trucks to be rather unpleasant and aggravating. I feel frustrated, to put it simply, when I hear that stuff on the radio. I lived in a pretty podunk town in Oregon, so that stuff never left me alone. Especially when I went horse-riding in my friend's grandpa's arena. XD I like the older style stuff that Applejack sings, though... I guess I should consider that folk or something, though. Ever heard of Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?

(Forgive my lack of genre knowledge on Country)

• Brohoof 2