Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Why do so many people hate on country music?

Oblivion

Yes, but I see TONS of people hating on dubstep every day, and have you SEEN the crowds of pop-music haters? I mean, someone chucked a shoe at Harry Styles awhile ago, and let's not forget that water-bottled that got thrown at Justin Bieber.

To be fair, Beiber has done a hell of a lot more to piss people off than make bad music. I agree the boiling water was a little much but that little shit does need an attitude adjustment, 

• Brohoof 2

To be fair, Beiber has done a hell of a lot more to piss people off than make bad music. I agree the boiling water was a little much but that little shit does need an attitude adjustment,

Still doesn't invalidate his point. Beiber is a problem child, sure, but a good amount of the people who hate on his music, I swear only ever listened to 'Baby' and just wrote him off 5ever from there.

Wildfire's point is pretty much on the ball. All fans of certain genres find a way to hate other genres. I don't think there's a single genre that escapes it.

• Brohoof 1

I normally don't listen to country, but some of it is catchy.  As long as it's not about stupid stuff like beer.

But beer is good and god is great...:3

Lol yes, God is great. :P  But I've never drank beer since I'm underage lol.  Don't plan to even when I am.

If alcohol isn't your thing then it isn't you thing, nothing wrong with that! ^_^

• Brohoof 2

I think a big issue with country is that it appeals to a really small audience compared to most other music genres. I don't mind country myself(Johnny Cash is one of my favorite musicians), but out side a select few songs, country music isn't something I'd go out of my way to listen to

I think a big issue with country is that it appeals to a really small audience compared to most other music genres. I don't mind country myself(Johnny Cash is one of my favorite musicians), but out side a select few songs, country music isn't something I'd go out of my way to listen to

Not sure if I agree with that. By that logic all genres of music more or less appeal to a small audience. Music is a universal language, hardwired into the human brain as a form of communication and celebration. It takes different forms, but I've always personally believed that any individual can appreciate all forms of music. It's just that most people are so polarized that they choose to dislike.

• Brohoof 2

Only if you're looking at it on a worldwide view. In America, Country music is an extremely popular genre if you count up all the Americans as part of a total part of the population that like it.

• Brohoof 3

Only if you're looking at it on a worldwide view. In America, Country music is an extremely popular genre if you count up all the Americans as part of a total part of the population that like it.

It's also popular outside of America to some extent. The occasional major country song will chart on the boards of European and some more Westernized Asian countries.

I like Johnny Cash because seriously, who doesn't? But other than that i find it really annoying. To me it all sounds the same and it's extremely rare that one sounds good and different. That being said, I can't stand most new music either. Be it country, rap, and especially pop, I just can't stand listening to it

(edited)

I like Johnny Cash because seriously, who doesn't? But other than that i find it really annoying. To me it all sounds the same and it's extremely rare that one sounds good and different. That being said, I can't stand most new music either. Be it country, rap, and especially pop, I just can't stand listening to it

Yea, that seems to be a trend in most genres of music including country, a lot of it does tend to sound WAY too similar, I think modern rock is just as bad in terms of sounding the same IMO.

Edited by 0blivion
  • Brohoof 1

It has to do with the "redneck" and "hick" connotations.  At least, that's what I think.  Which is totally incorrect, by the way.  I've listened to country music from Italy and Germany before.  Most of it's good.  

The stuff on the radio is formulaic.  It's almost un-listenable.  Now THAT'S bad.  

I haven't heard alot of country lately, but when I do, I love listening to John Denver. And what from little I have heard Johnny Cash, He sounds pretty good. I think I kinda know what people are talking about, this "bad country", but I haven't heard enough to really say much.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well, I just don't like the way it sounds. Of course, the lyrics can be pretty bad, too. As I'm sure I've mentioned many times, I one time heard a country song that had a line of "God Bless Texas"... I wanted to throw up.

However, as I said, my main problem with country is how it sounds. I don't like the way they sing it, I don't like the way they play the instruments, etc. I also tend to find it depressing. It's not that I can't listen to downtempo music, but country music just really brings me down. If it isn't the depressing type, I just find it annoying. There really is no winning with country for me. The only "country" I like are country rock (which really isn't country at all, like Eagles) or country-slanted folk (like John Denver). Some Bluegrass, too... But I just can't find anything good in the main genre of Country.

I do find it funny, because I actually LOVE country rock and folk, but country by itself is awful. I don't really get that. lol

Edited by Envy

(edited)

What kind of country are you talking about? If you are talking Johnny Cash country, than no, that is not hated at all (at least by anyone who has an ear for older music).  Modern Country is NOT COUNTRY.

It is pop music with a southern sounding voice. What happened to the Steel Guitar, the laid back "nothing to do but sing" mentality that was very prominent in country music many years ago. Country is westernized(or southernized if you want) specific version of FOLK music. Jazz is the same way; it's a maturation of African-american folk music. 

Country music of today is mainly about relationships, usually bad ones (or deviant ones).  Or it's about silly things like a plastic cup you play beer pong with. But this is only part of the problem with why country sucks today.

Country is no longer tied to its roots; It is so close to pop music that the only difference is the voice and maybe a violin....seriously :eww:

It's sad to see, because I used to be a country fan, a die hard country fan....but then when I started listening to the newer stuff, I just threw in the towel because I could tell no difference between the most popular music in pop to country. And this happened when I was in 8th grade!!! 

Now, I don't listen to much of any modern music at all, because it's all the same in my ears.  Pop and Rap have dominated the modern music market, spilling into every popular genre in America. It's sickening, because as a music lover, it's sad to have to look elsewhere to find good music.

Edited by Treble Bolt
  • Brohoof 3

What kind of country are you talking about? If you are talking Johnny Cash country, than no, that is not hated at all (at least by anyone who has an ear for older music).  Modern Country is NOT COUNTRY.

It is pop music with a southern sounding voice. What happened to the Steel Guitar, the laid back "nothing to do but sing" mentality that was very prominent in country music many years ago. Country is westernized(or southernized if you want) specific version of FOLK music. Jazz is the same way; it's a maturation of African-american folk music. 

Country music of today is mainly about relationships, usually bad ones (or deviant ones).  Or it's about silly things like a plastic cup you play beer pong with. But this is only part of the problem with why country sucks today.

Country is no longer tied to its roots; It is so close to pop music that the only difference is the voice and maybe a violin....seriously :eww:

It's sad to see, because I used to be a country fan, a die hard country fan....but then when I started listening to the newer stuff, I just threw in the towel because I could tell no difference between the most popular music in pop to country. And this happened when I was in 8th grade!!! 

Now, I don't listen to much of any modern music at all, because it's all the same in my ears.  Pop and Rap have dominated the modern music market, spilling into every popular genre in America. It's sickening, because as a music lover, it's sad to have to look elsewhere to find good music.

You see the problem is today, is that a lot of people are ignorant on what REAL country music is, they turn on the radio to foggy 98 (Nebraska hic pop station) and the first damn thing they hear is "Red solo cup, I fill you up" and they are like "nope, not listening to this hick shit", so that right there turns lots of people off to the idea of country music, when they should be listening to Red Sovine or something actually worth while....Now I'm not gonna lie, I like some modern country, some of Toby Keith's songs are pretty good, but even he has gone a little too mainstream IMO....It seems now any city person can throw on a cowboy hat and sing with a southern accent and it's all of a sudden country music!

Even as I type this I am listening to some good ole music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zoTLwrm9QE

Well, I just don't like the way it sounds. Of course, the lyrics can be pretty bad, too. As I'm sure I've mentioned many times, I one time heard a country song that had a line of "God Bless Texas"... I wanted to throw up.

However, as I said, my main problem with country is how it sounds. I don't like the way they sing it, I don't like the way they play the instruments, etc. I also tend to find it depressing. It's not that I can't listen to downtempo music, but country music just really brings me down. If it isn't the depressing type, I just find it annoying. There really is no winning with country for me. The only "country" I like are country rock (which really isn't country at all, like Eagles) or country-slanted folk (like John Denver). Some Bluegrass, too... But I just can't find anything good in the main genre of Country.

I do find it funny, because I actually LOVE country rock and folk, but country by itself is awful. I don't really get that. lol

Most people that hate mainstream country will actually love the REAL deal, look at the video I posted, lol although it is kinda sad! :)

• Brohoof 2

Music is just a matter if preference.

However, I think the reason why some people dislike country music is because ANYONE can sing it or play it. It's not a genre that requires a lot of thought.

Because of this, a lot of artists choose to become country music stars just because it's easy to play.

i'm sorry, but country is just, err, I can't exactly say it. I just dislike it. I'm a trap or dubstep person, maybe even death metal.

Funny thing is, is that I actually love just about every genera of music! Especially power metal! ;)

Music is just a matter if preference.

However, I think the reason why some people dislike country music is because ANYONE can sing it or play it. It's not a genre that requires a lot of thought.

Because of this, a lot of artists choose to become country music stars just because it's easy to play.

You have no idea how much I disagree with that statement! :angry:  It's a simple music yes, but have you heard the way some people can play

the banjo!!!!!!!! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzae_SqbmDE

You see the problem is today, is that a lot of people are ignorant on what REAL country music is, they turn on the radio to foggy 98 (Nebraska hic pop station) and the first damn thing they hear is "Red solo cup, I fill you up" and they are like "nope, not listening to this hick shit", so that right there turns lots of people off to the idea of country music, when they should be listening to Red Sovine or something actually worth while....Now I'm not gonna lie, I like some modern country, some of Toby Keith's songs are pretty good, but even he has gone a little too mainstream IMO....It seems now any city person can throw on a cowboy hat and sing with a southern accent and it's all of a sudden country music!

Most people that hate mainstream country will actually love the REAL deal, look at the video I posted, lol although it is kinda sad! :)

AMEN to that...

I recommend the Marty Stewart Show for some good old REAL country music.

It's strange, if you listen to some country music from the 70's and 80's, it's actually difficult to tell if it's country or folk in many cases.

take this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27ZiixkruCY

My favorite song by Stan Rogers :wub:

• Brohoof 2

Funny thing is, is that I actually love just about every genera of music! Especially power metal! ;)

You have no idea how much I disagree with that statement! :angry:  It's a simple music yes, but have you heard the way some people can play

the banjo!!!!!!!! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzae_SqbmDE

The Banjo is more associated with Hill Billy stereotypes rather than Country music. Country music mostly consists of a guitar and not a Banjo.

Yes, there are songs that have Banjos in them but it's becoming less & less common.

Oh I know the Banjo can be difficult to play. My brother owns one and it took him a couple years to get good at playing it.

This is not to say that I don't like Country music. I actually find it... okay. It's definitely not terrible like Rap (oh god..)

I do like some Country songs such as "Somewhere With You" by Kenny Chesney and "Honey Bee" by Blake Shelton.

It is to my understanding that those both fall under the Country genre.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I think it's funny that many country singers will have songs about getting drunk and sleeping around, right next to songs about God and Jesus, on the same album!

Edited by OmniaVincitEquorum

I think it's funny that many country singers will have songs about getting drunk and sleeping around, right next to songs about God and Jesus, on the same album!

I don't really wanna get religious, but drinking really isn't a sin, the things you may do while drinking is another story though.

AMEN to that...

I recommend the Marty Stewart Show for some good old REAL country music.

It's strange, if you listen to some country music from the 70's and 80's, it's actually difficult to tell if it's country or folk in many cases.

take this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27ZiixkruCY

My favorite song by Stan Rogers :wub:

OMG YES!!! That is amazing! The lyrics for some reason remind me of folk metal! AWESOME! :yay:

• Brohoof 1