Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Why do so many people hate on country music?

Oblivion

I don't like country because it usually has something do do with love, beer, jesus and trucks with jesus beer and lovemaking in. I don't like the pedal steel guitar as a main instrument. I don't like it when it has distorted "rock-like" guitar. I don't care for Johnny Cash and the like. I don't care for the banjo nor most bluegrass instruments. The sounds go into my brain, my brain goes "nope" and generates anti-good.

For me it's all about how whiney the song is or how overused the chords are

Some country music, usually from 90's or earlier is decent to me

but most of it's just utterly annoying 

First thing's first, stuff like John Denver (my first favorite artist) is not country, it's considered western.

If you turn on the radio to a country station, every single song will be basically about the same thing, picking up girls, drinking, or something else that's even more stupid. My mom listens to it a lot so I know I've heard it and it is seriously terrible music.

Basically all the stereotypes are true.

Edited by DudeGuy676

Here's what I don't understand: a lot of people have been naming the subjects of country music as why they don't like it, but is that really a problem?

Someone can always put a new twist on an old subject, and if country artists want to talk about beers, girls, and trucks, I see no problem as long as they keep it fresh and provide new sounds and new lyrics that I can get down to.

Like I said earlier in this topic, I know next to nothing about country, but the same logic could technically be applied to all genres if you just listened to songs on the radio. I mean, how many rock songs are about love, especially love gone wrong? Or sex?

If I listened to the radio, a huge amount I bet.

Edited by Rainblow Hash
  • Brohoof 2

This is my face when I listen to county music:

attachicon.gifimages.jpg

People hate it because it's all beer and trucks and tractors! :eww:

Read some other posts, it's not ALL about beer, trucks and tractors! Especially some of the golden oldies! :)

• Brohoof 1

Like Lightning Bliss said, living in Texas; it's the prominent song genre in the state.  For me what makes me have a distaste for country music (and like the other posts said, some are ok, some are great like Johnny Cash) is the fact that if I live in Texas; it means I love country music, I have 300 acres in the valley, I own a farm, yada yada yada.  Pffft... I just live on 2½ acres.   BIG difference.

There was this one moment when my Mom went to this one exercise gym. There was this one sassy southern Texas lady stereotype who blares the most twangy southern imaginable from the loud speakers.  She was the manager.  She would come around bothering other customers to sing along saying stuff like "You know the words! Come on!" My Mom did NOT know any of the words.

SO basically:  From Texas = Loves country music

I mean like the one guy said in the thread, you can be a country boy and like the music too.  That's perfectly fine, just don't jump the gun thinking ALL Texans love country.

• Brohoof 2

country music is crap.

it's the same thing over and over

same style

same lyrics

talking about going mudding or something

or fishing

or drinking beer

or hunting

or sitting in a random vehicle

or talking about my gf that is technically nonexistent

and talking about getting cheesecake

• Brohoof 1

Like Lightning Bliss said, living in Texas; it's the prominent song genre in the state.  For me what makes me have a distaste for country music (and like the other posts said, some are ok, some are great like Johnny Cash) is the fact that if I live in Texas; it means I love country music, I have 300 acres in the valley, I own a farm, yada yada yada.  Pffft... I just live on 2½ acres.   BIG difference.

There was this one moment when my Mom went to this one exercise gym. There was this one sassy southern Texas lady stereotype who blares the most twangy southern imaginable from the loud speakers.  She was the manager.  She would come around bothering other customers to sing along saying stuff like "You know the words! Come on!" My Mom did NOT know any of the words.

SO basically:  From Texas = Loves country music

I mean like the one guy said in the thread, you can be a country boy and like the music too.  That's perfectly fine, just don't jump the gun thinking ALL Texans love country.

I would pull a Pinkie Pie and just start yelling the lyrics at the top of ma lungs!!! YEEHAW!!! ^_^

country music is crap.

it's the same thing over and over

same style

same lyrics

talking about going mudding or something

or fishing

or drinking beer

or hunting

or sitting in a random vehicle

or talking about my gf that is technically nonexistent

and talking about getting cheesecake

Dude, did you even read any of the other posts on this thread? >_>  It IS NOT all about those things, though I CAN relate to a lot of the things you mentioned! :P 

I personally like country music but not as much as other types..

However the reason I have heard that most people do not is that they consider all country music slow and always about depressing subjects which is untrue but that is how they view it. 

I read somewhere (probably Cracked though) that there is a direct correlation between the number of local country music stations and the local suicide rate. Whether this is a cause or an effect is beyond me.

I read somewhere (probably Cracked though) that there is a direct correlation between the number of local country music stations and the local suicide rate. Whether this is a cause or an effect is beyond me.

http://www.omg-facts.com/Science/There-is-a-positive-correlation-between/56491

Found something about it, you see though, this kinda crap gets on my nerves, I bet all the article is for, is a chance for rich white elitists to  bash white hardworking farmers that live in rural America...

Anyone who would bash mudding obviously has never went with someone who knows how to mud for fun. :)

Haha, I know right bro? mudding is freaking amazing fun, get the ole truck out and of one HAY of a time! :yay:

• Brohoof 1

It's probably due to how country music isn't the same anymore.

Now it's all about trucks, tractors, girls, drinking; it's all the same stuff anymore.

At least, that's how I see it. 

I've never been a fan of country music.

Bring on the WUBS!

I used to hate it, but my one best friend loves it, so recently I gave it another shot and enjoyed it.  I think the two top reasons would be how some lyrics are just about beer and girls and the other reason is that it might just not be someone's type of music.  Like for me, I can't stand dubstep.  Well, there are some exceptions of where I do enjoy it.

• Brohoof 1

• 5 years later...

I guess because the way it's "changed" ? I personally LOVE country music, whether it be classic country or modern, it's all still country to me, and I'm sick and bucking tired of getting made fun of for it. I understand people have the right to hold their own opinion about what they like and don't like, but y'all people who hate country music and don't freaking shut up about how much you can't stand it...that's where the problem lies. You're free to not like it, but just keep it to yourself or at least don't go prancing around saying those of us who like country music are ignorant hillbilly trash. This is just one of those topics that really fires me up I guess, and I've just had some bad experiences with country music haters. 

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

Because it's changed. Today's country songs all have the same snap track backing track and that's what they use in pop music. It's been changing since about 2013 but it has completely shifted since then. Only one of today's artists that still uses the "old" style is Luke Combs, and it's great.

And it's been WAY too long since there was a country song about a truck. For the last 5 years at least they've all been about women. We get it, you're 45 but a 24 year old writes your songs and you sing them to screaming 13 year old girls, nothing creepy about that. Nashville has been trying to be like Los Angeles and it has wound up self destructing them. Once fans are leaving by the thousands cause they kept trying to fix something that wasn't broken and now THEY think it's fixed. A lot like how NASCAR is right now.:mlp_wat: 

I only like country music if it's fall into the same style as Johnny cash or dark like Blues sacaceno. Anything outside of that I hate it, because It's boring to listen to and not my kind of taste.

3 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

I guess because the way it's "changed" ? I personally LOVE country music, whether it be classic country or modern, it's all still country to me, and I'm sick and bucking tired of getting made fun of for it. I understand people have the right to hold their own opinion about what they like and don't like, but y'all people who hate country music and don't freaking shut up about how much you can't stand it...that's where the problem lies. You're free to not like it, but just keep it to yourself or at least don't go prancing around saying those of us who like country music are ignorant hillbilly trash. This is just one of those topics that really fires me up I guess, and I've just had some bad experiences with country music haters. 

The thing that makes me the most irritated about country music is that it is forced on me everywhere I go in my god awful Southern hell state. I've noticed that even where I live, country is a very love it or hate it kind of genre among people I know/have known. Yet, it is played everywhere in public. It is even played in Walmart. It'd be easy for me to keep my hate of country music to myself, if country music itself was kept to itself. But it is is everywhere, and it is one kind of music that can really sour my mood like no other.

Even though I tend not to like Country music in general, I believe I know precisely what is wrong with it: lack of sincerity and trends. If you investigate trending Country music, you will notice many trends: snaptracks, false accents, references to stereotypical country lifestyles (beer, pickup trucks, standard country attire, etc.). This is not necessarily a bad thing... but it does tend to get terribly formulaic when you compare it to other genres. In other words, Modern Country has transformed into a strange, amorphous entity, since it is attempting to mimic modern Pop music. :mlp_pout:

Can Country music be genuinely good? Absolutely; you need only look past the trending Pop-Country music you see on ratings boards. In my opinion, these are good examples, even if I may dislike Country music as a whole.

• Brohoof 1

Metal head here. 

I can't get behind country because:

• It's overplayed where I live. 
  • The muscianship is very rudimentary. Twangy, major scale, folk/ blues inspired, low (if any) distortion guitars and basic beats from the rhythm section. 
  • It lacks energy and intensity. 
  • The vocals all sound the same. 
  • The subject matter is repetitive (beer, Jesus, 'murica)
  • Most importantly I can't relate to it. I'm not from the south. No one in my family wears a seston. None of us hunt. I don't drink. I'm not religious. And i'm not all that patriotic. 

So why in the world would it appeal to me?

Because it's usually watered down rock with absolutely no talent, no substance and no redeeming value. It's the southern version of really shitty pop music.

However, some good country does exist. Check out Blackberry Smoke. Super good and I rather like it. And I hate country.

• Brohoof 1