Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How should the plot go in Season 3?

Marcusaralius76

How should the plot go  

48 users have voted

1. 1. What kind of plot should they use for season 3?

• Pure Episodic
    • Short story arcs (2-5 episodes per story)
    • Pure story arc (Each season is a single continuous story)

I've been hearing a lot about this idea for the show lately. A lot of people on other sites think that the writers should make a single continuous plot for the whole third season with one major lesson. How do you guys think the plot should go?

Personally, I like the current episode system with each being its own story and occasional references to past episodes. Though I think it would be interesting if they tried making a story arc go farther than just two episodes. Thoughts?

I wouldn't do a pure story arc until later seasons; I would hold that off until season 4. For now I would like to see some short stories to start us off.

Well, considering that when I first watched the show, i made it with the assumption that is was gona be just one long story arc and then it turned out I was completely wrong and was left heart broken, my greatest wish is for them to finally do one.

I think they should try short story arcs and see how that turns out. I don't how I feel about a pure story arc.

Well, considering that when I first watched the show, i made it with the assumption that is was gona be just one long story arc and then it turned out I was completely wrong and was left heart broken, my greatest wish is for them to finally do one.

That was my first assumption as well.

I like the layout of the seasons at the moment but episode story arcs would be pretty darn awesome. There is always the worry with those sort of episodes that they'd drag out the storyline but the MLP producers are better then that :)

I like what they did in Season 1: episodic format, but occasionally they'd make reference to the Grand Galloping Gala, which became the focus for the finale.

• Brohoof 1

I like how the storyline(I can't write or read the word "plot" anymore with keeping a straight face xD) is now, a bit more continuity would be great(like Reading Dash was) :)

• Brohoof 1

As much as I can imagine loving a pure story arc for season 3, I don't see it being handled well enough to my liking. I can see how the short story arc could do very well, though. That would also help keep it from getting stagnant, and have a bit of a different direction after 2-5 episodes, giving it more potential. If it were to remain purely/mostly episodic, well, I can't imagine creativity being creative for long enough.

I vote short story arcs! Maybe building to something, but at least it gives chance for twists and turns and development :D

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Is it wrong that when I read "plot" in the title of this thread, my mind jumped to the alternative meaning often associated with more... adult oriented material of MLP: FiM?

I'm going to go out on a limb, without any substantive evidence to back it up, and say this: the third season will either be fantastic or less than stellar; a dichotomy is going to be apparent. Season 4, should we be graced with yet another season, will balance out the show. But the third season will be the first one which will be regularly compared to the first two, resulting in judgment from the fan base.

Aside from this blind prediction, I think it should remain primarily episodic. MLP thrives when story arcs are inserted at climactic sections of the season, i.e., the beginning and the end. Continuity nods are great, though I think story arcs would begin to grow stale and throw too much focus onto one of the ponies rather than the whole of the Mane Six.

Edited by Thereisnospoon303
  • Brohoof 3

I would definitely love to see story arcs that last for more than one episode. It'd be a nice change of pace, even though I am totally fine with them being purely episodic as well. I don't know about one lasting for a whole season. There's a chance that would be good, but I think I'd get arc fatigue.

I would love to see some short stories because that's what I enjoy the most. You know, those epic feeling of excitement you get every time a story based episode ends. "What will happen next? Oh my, this is so exciting I can't wait to see what will happen!" Atleast that's what I think. Also I would want to see more episodes where all ponies takes part, and not just one - three ponies which I feel it is like right now. I would love to see some Dragonshy-like episode again.

I like the way they do it now, but considering the only multi-episode arcs are currently the 2-part Season 1 and 2 premiere episodes, and the fact that the Season 2 finale will also be a 2-parter, it gives me the impression that the show creators might be willing to experiment more with multi-episode arcs in the future, and I'd definitely be ok with that too. :)

Is it wrong that when I read "plot" in the title of this thread, my mind jumped to the alternative meaning often associated with more... adult oriented material of MLP: FiM?

Quite honestly, that was my first thought too.

Anyway, I would dearly love for there to be episode arcs in the third season. Heck, if the entire third season was one long episode arc, I could fully accept that as a good reason for why it's only half the length of first two seasons. Only thing is, I'm not sure what they could do to make it a story arc without interjecting some new villains and turning it into an action/adventure show.

Which wouldn't be a bad thing at all, it'd just be difficult.

• Brohoof 3

Quite honestly, that was my first thought too.

Anyway, I would dearly love for there to be episode arcs in the third season. Heck, if the entire third season was one long episode arc, I could fully accept that as a good reason for why it's only half the length of first two seasons. Only thing is, I'm not sure what they could do to make it a story arc without interjecting some new villains and turning it into an action/adventure show.

Which wouldn't be a bad thing at all, it'd just be difficult.

Not difficult at all, a one story arc would probably follow this structure: There's a big bad guy and in order to defeat him they need certain artifacts, so they must travel the world (hopefully outside equestria) in order to find him and defeat him. Each episode can have a new small villian or problem. One of them should be recurrent and be of great importance in the end in order to make things more interesting, and also having one of the ponies leave the good side temporarily would be great too. Fluttershy or Pinkie Pie would seem to work the best for this, I'd say Rainbow but she is loyalty...

Edited by Eenohay

I like the way the episodes are now, but I don't think I'd mind short story arcs. Actually, that might make the episodes more interesting, given the story arcs the show's already had (basically the 2-part episodes at the beginning of both seasons) had more development.

Turning season 3 into one continuous story might be too much of a stretch from seasons 1 and 2, though. I'm not sure if fans are ready for a saga. :huh:

Story arcs tend to stick with me more. Yes, there are many single episodes that I could point to and say, "That was an awesome episode," but I feel that a story arc gives characters more depth, since you're not throwing throwing them in twenty-minute situations (There's only so much you can do with a 20-minute story plot). If you take a look at Season 1/2 Episodes 1 + 2, you'll see that the stories can develop more, and go into further detail, and that made the endings in Episode 2 all that more rewarding-if it had been a single episode, I doubt it would have been half as good. 10 minutes would have been the evil guy showing up and talking and causing havoc. Five for the mane six going to stop him/her, and five for the end battle. Time constraints are the bane of every episode.

If they could pull it off well one continuous arc be great, but I personally like the 2-episode format used on the premieres. It's a good time-frame to develop a story, without getting stale (my only worry with the season arc is that it could drag on). I find a lot of the individual plots creative as it is, and I wouldn't want that to be stifled to fit into a tight storyline. Allusions within the episodes leading up to a larger problem might be nice.

I think the plots should get bigger ;)

No but seriously, I like it the way it is right now. I already die having to wait a week for a new episode, having to wait a whole week for the next part in a continuing arc would be traumatising.