S04:E17 - Somepony to Watch Over Me  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Even if this episode wasn't the best there were still some pretty funny moments in it.

I thought this was a good Episode for Applebloom and an interesting Adventure even. Only Applejacks reaction, with making the barn extra safety, was a bit to over the top to be believable for me.

Posted (edited)

I've spent a lot of time bagging on this one, so I was surprised to find a lot to enjoy here. The Applejack stuff is still really irritating - I find some humour in the exaggeration now, but I really don't wanna see it from Applejack, and stuff like the apple nets is so ridiculous that it doesn't even seem real anymore. I'm not sure I buy any of this from Applejack, even with her sympathetic motivation, and a little more subtlety would have gone a long way. Still, if you've gotta do something like this, then this is probably the right approach, and the CMC reaction shots are consistently hilarious, even if what they're reacting to is grating caricature. The stuff about not wanting to be treated like a kid anymore resonates, and that fight scene with the chimera is genuinely exciting. The event that actually convinced Applejack that Apple Bloom could be left alone feels kinda perfunctory, though; I mean, she did just get herself into danger due to a lack of preparation, and that doesn't really fit the moral being presented here. Still, maybe it's just because of my low expectations, but this isn't nearly as bad as I had remembered; I'd even say I enjoyed chunks of it even though all the same issues I had with it before still apply. 

Score:
Entertainment: 5/10
Characters: 4/10
Themes: 7/10

Story: 4/10
Overall: 50/100

Edited by AlexanderThrond

Others have already said everything I could say here. It's a bad episode.

I still really like the cold open.

Score: 3/10

I enjoyed this episode, and Applejack’s over the topness. I can see why others don’t like it, but she didn’t annoy me like other characters do in their caricature versions.

The three headed beast was strange and out of place. Why do the Apples put up with that every delivery to that town? Pay some pegasi to fly the pies over the danger. Ask Fluttershy to deal with the beast. Offer a pies for safe passage deal.

Granny Smith said both deliveries were equally hard, right? I wonder what Big Mac had to deal with.