1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

... Well.

That was disappointing.

This episode suffers from a SERIOUS case of "build-the-character-around-the-plot"-itis. Applejack's character was more butchered here than it has been in a long while, and rivals even that of Pinkie's character-butchering throughout the season. Applejack's primary character-stance is that she's a down-to-earth pony who knows how to handle her responsibilities. Sure, she can get paranoid, but she knows her responsibilities and knows her family is able to hold its own to a degree. At the very least, this was ridiculous.

Personally, I would've just liked to see moments of AJ getting fearful throughout the episode, rather than "NOPE DROPPING EVERYTHING YOU WILL NOT GET ANY BOOBOOS WHILST I LIVE DEAREST KIN". She lied to her family (emphasis on "lied", people), completely dropped her responsibilities, and ignored anything and everything Applebloom had to say.

Yes, I know, it's "just" one detail, but it was ONE BIG DETAIL to just be able to shrug off.

Definitely one of the lower episodes this season.

... But it's at least still not as a bad as Ponyville Confidential. So that's good at least.

NO RARITY

FUCK THIS EPISODE

angry_rarity_by_mushroomcookiebear-d60rl:lol:

Alright.

That monster thing creeped me out, and AJ was a total badass fighting it. :D

AJ also called Rarity to watch over Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle. You can chalk that up to Rares and Sweetie being sisters, but I'm going to believe it's because AJ and Rarity are super close :D

Other than that, this episode was sorta ok, somewhat forgettable; it picked up towards the end, but was souring quick before AB took off on her own; AJ got sorta irritating for a while.

The thing that bumped this episode from dislike to neutrality was it was somewhat, but not fully, redeeming with a great ending. The first 3/4 of it was ass, in the form of being either boring or obnoxious; I was ready to flip the switch and go eat breakfast, and I would've had I not had better judgement. 

Lucklily, I finished it; I felt it to be OK in the end, due to Apple Bloom taking the cart, the dangerous fight with the Chimera, and Applejack finally kicking ass like she usually does. (Took long enough) :D

Overall?

(My new 1 - 5 Rating system by the way; 5 is best, 1 is worst.)

Somepony to Watch Over Me -

:D :D :D

• Brohoof 3

When Applebloom was left home alone, I went in thinking she's going to completely blow off her chores and responsiblities... 

But she didn't! Before A.J. came back to check on her, Applebloom finished all the things on the list. It only became a mess because A.J. suddenly popped back into the house, causing a reaction of falling objects!  

Applebloom really CAN stay home alone!

(edited)

Currently, I really don't like this one. The fiery swamp and chimera were a sweet treat as far as the animation and visuals are concerned, and Scootaloo's "No time for a song" was definitely a hilarious poke at the show. But the first two acts were really grating. Applejack has not behaved like this towards Apple Bloom, who has been without her family (most of it) during stretches of time, since Bridle Gossip. (Then again, BG had everyone out of character, if not seriously unlikeable.) If this happened somewhere after Bridle Gossip (maybe two episodes after Call of the Cutie), then AJ's stupid stick and constantly annoying pampering of AB would have some weight. Here, it really doesn't fit not just AJ's character, but also her and AB's growth since the pilot.

At this point, I'm placing this as my third-least-favorite episode of the season, in front of Flight to the Finish and Rainbow Falls.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)
I loved it. Not only because it was episode about Applejack. It was really solid episode, I enjoyed it much more than Twilight Time and It ain't easy being breezies. It has good humour, simple but well-written plot and it explores relationship, which was usually portrayed as perfect. It was nice to see that sometimes Applejack and Apple Bloom disagree :) I found Applejack's behaviour hilarious and I'm sure that this episode will be the beginning of the new memes. The moment, when AB started to sing, but Scootaloo said that it's not time for this was absolutely amazing XD And chimera. OMG, chimera was priceless *_* I would never expect that we'll see something like that in this show. 

But... my favorite part was probably that scene, when Applejack was fighting with chimera <3

BADASS APPLEJACK IS THE BEST APPLEJACK 8D

And it really annoys me that a lot of people tend to dislike it only because it was about Applejack and not about their favorite characters. Especially considering that she didn't get too much of screen time in seasons 1 & 2 and she deserves to get it now.

Edited by Anilewe
  • Brohoof 3

His palms are sweaty, knees weak arms are heavy there's vomit on his sweater already, mom's spaghetti

Overall I liked this episode. IT was mostly an Apple Bloom one, and to me kind of felt like the polar opposite of Sisterhooves Social, with both the characters and the situation. I thought Applejack's constant pestering and Apple Bloom being covered in spaghetti because she spaghetti'd all over the place once AJ came back was pretty funny. My one problem is, why did she care so much at this one point when the CMC are all usually out and about getting covered in spaghetti doing there own thing and almost getting killed sometimes (didn't they try to tame a lion once or something?). Applejack's boots at the end though :comeatus:. My favorite part was probably at the end when I saw who they were delivering the spaghetti pies to. SPAGHETTI???! SWAMP PONIES???! I LITERALLY BURST OUT SPAGHETTI LAUGHING!! I really didn't think it was possible to be more southern than the Apple family :lol: ! Although this wasn't a rainbow power key episode thing, it did have LOTSA SPAGHETTI SO MUCH SPAGHETTI I CAN'T EVEN HOLD ALL THESE SPAGHETTIS!!! a pretty good message to kids love spaghetti your parents because they'll be there for you when you need them and a message to parents not to ALWAYS be there for them (know that feel ^_^ ) and was actually one of the first episodes to really go into the magic of spaghetti Applejack And Apple Bloom's relationship. I'd give it an 8.7/10 would watch again. My favorite reference in the episode was the spaghetti one. 

Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti Spaghetti

• Brohoof 2

Currently, I really don't like this one. The fiery swamp and chimera were a sweet treat as far as the animation and visuals are concerned, and Scootaloo's "No time for a song" was definitely a hilarious poke at the show. But the first two acts were really grating. Applejack has not behaved like this towards Apple Bloom, who has been without her family (most of it) during stretches of time, since Bridle Gossip. (Then again, BG had everyone out of character, if not seriously unlikeable.) If this happened somewhere after Bridle Gossip (maybe two episodes after Call of the Cutie), then AJ's stupid stick and constantly annoying pampering of AB would have some weight. Here, it really doesn't fit not just AJ's character, but also her and AB's growth since the pilot.

At this point, I'm placing this as my third-least-favorite episode of the show, in front of Flight to the Finish and Rainbow Falls.

Did you not get that Applejack is the queen of OOC behavior? I really was worried that this episode would be as terrible as Spike at Your Service, but I ended up enjoying it.

Ever had that parent who just won't let you go even though you're clearly competent enough to take proper care of yourself? Replace that with a sister who's been forced to take care of you in absence of their parents.

Seriously think about it: with their parents dead (most likely when Applebloom was actually a baby), AJ was most likely the most responsible for raising her little sister. She's probably been doing it so much, she can act more like a mother to her than a sister. I'm willing to bet she doesn't want to let her parents down...

...buuuuuut that doesn't change the fact that she went wayyyyy overboard here. I was disturbed so much by her "guardianship" here, from all the safety devices and the constant check-ins. *shudder* Seriously, I wonder how my little brother handles himself, but I don't hover over him like a helicopter.

Aside from that, I liked the meta joke with the song. Nothing much else I can really say about it.

WARNING: Short display of horrible headcanon ahead!

"Say, AJ... You told me about that incident last week..."

"You mean when I, uh, left my sis home alone, took care of her then instead and, uh, 'saved' her later? Doc, we already talked 'bout that. Nothin' to worry 'bout!"

"Well, I ain't no therapist - wait, I am - but don't you think your... overprotective behavior-"

"There ain't nothin' overprotective 'bout takin' care of my sis! Well, I know I was... kinda wrong in the end. She prove to be able to take good care of herself after all!"

"Don't your think your... behavior that day was because of what happened to your parents when you weren't at home that one day all these years ago?"

... *sniff* "YEEEEES!" *cries*

"It's okay."

*coughs* What? Oh, the new episode. Okay!

Well, it was funny... A bit strange to see an overprotective Applejack, though. Not that her being protective would be unlikely, but... Well, let's skip that.

I liked this one more than last week's episode. Felt a lot less strange. And snoring Sweetie Belle was just as cute as independent AB was nice as character development. That's all. :derp:

• Brohoof 1

I loved it. Not only because it was episode about Applejack. It was really solid episode, I enjoyed it much more than Twilight Time and It ain't easy being breezies. It has good humour, simple but well-written plot and it explores relationship, which was usually portrayed as perfect. It was nice to see that sometimes Applejack and Apple Bloom disagree :) I found Applejack's behaviour hilarious and I'm sure that this episode will be the beginning of the new memes. The moment, when AB started to sing, but Scootaloo said that it's not time for this was absolutely amazing XD And chimera. OMG, chimera was priceless *_* I would never expect that we'll see something like that in this show. 

But... my favorite part was probably that scene, when Applejack was fighting with chimera <3
BADASS APPLEJACK IS THE BEST APPLEJACK 8D

And it really annoys me that a lot of people tend to dislike it only because it was about Applejack and not about their favorite characters. 

BADASS APPLEJACK IS THE BEST APPLEJACK 8D=Appleswag

Oh,and about memes...i'm seeing that the scene of Pastabloom(applebloom with pasta on her hair)will become a meme :P

And about the episode,i found Applejack's behavior too much overprotective,but maybe she has a reason...

And what if Applejack saw her parents' death,and on that moment felt useless,and tried to not make the same error with Applebloom?

Like i always say,it's a theory

And about a rating...

11/10

The chimera fight is one of my favourite scenes ever,and that appleswag...was too much for me :wub:

sticker,375x360.png

And the relationship development between Applejack and Applebloom was good to see,with a solid plot and good jokes

Because..

Who wants to see a perfect sister-sister relationship? :huh:

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I liked the episode, I felt it was pretty average with some other mlp episodes. I loved that little gag where Applejack put all those helmets on Applebloom (double helmets!). One thing that really bothered me was that Applejack felt a little out of character, they seemed to have exaggerated the whole "I won't let my family be harmed by anything" aspect of Applejack. Besides that, the episode was well executed and had fun little bits of world-building and a new creature. 

I'm starting to wonder if Applebloom actually went to Tarturus, if that's true, then that would be awesome!

Edited by crazypon3

I liked this episode, I loved the interactions between Applejack and Applebloom, I loved seeing Big Mac's face when AJ kept worrying over whether her sister was alright, the whole bit with Sweetie and Scootaloo pretending to be Applebloom was so funny and cute, The episode had a good moral and the whole lava area Applebloom went was creepy and so was that creature that attacked her. Also I agree with what WiiGuy said, Applebloom was doing very well with the chores and taking care of everything, yet when AJ showed up, it all went downhill, all in all a good episode, 10/10!

• Brohoof 1

Did you not get that Applejack is the queen of OOC behavior?

I know. When Applejack was out of character then, I was quick to point that out. (I voiced serious displeasure over her flanderization/out-of-characterization in Spike at Your Service, Princess Twilight Sparkle, and Rainbow Falls.) Likewise, her poor characterization here deserves the same flak.

(edited)

Heh, it's actually funny, because it looks like no matter what Applejack do, she's going to be criticized. She acts normal? Boring and predictable. She acts different? OOC. UGH. Sometimes this fandom really annoys me and it's one of those moments. 

...Also, DAT BOOTS >D

569347__safe_applejack_apple+bloom_hub+l

Edited by Anilewe
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

I loved this episode!

Reasons to like:

- Applejack (lol I know, I'm so biased)

-Big Mac really looked like he was about to knock Applejack out (I'm glad he didn't, but the look on his face tho)

- Applejack being awesome at the end (as if she isn't all the time ;) )

- The 'home-alone' thing goin on in the beginning

- Over-obsessive Applejack and Applebloom's reaction to it

- AJ giving Applebloom the double helmet XD

- AJ: "SCOOTALOO?!"

Scootaloo: "Uh, no?"

- "NO, there's no time for a song! Go!" Lovely poke at the show XD

Only one problem for me... I thought it was misleading, I honestly thought I was going to be watching a full-length episode on Applebloom being home alone and something ends up happening or whatever, but I loved the episode anyway. ^-^

Edited by applejackson007
  • Brohoof 2

Heh, it's actually funny, because it looks like no matter what Applejack do, she's going to be criticized. She acts normal? Boring and predictable. She acts different? OOC. UGH. Sometimes this fandom really annoys me and it's one of those moments. 

...Also, DAT BOOTS >D

569347__safe_applejack_apple+bloom_hub+l

And don't forget her Spaguetti moment...

My reaction to it:

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Oye... what can I really say about this episode that's good... besides the ending...?  The episode had Applejack excruciatingly out of character, and just really obnoxious to listen to.  I don't even think the most over the top soccer mom in the world would go as far as she did!  And it was just after making a family decision (that she was involved in, BTW) that Applebloom was ready to stay home alone, and then she comes back to make sure everything was alright, and then decides to never leave her again, and starts babying her in every way imaginable, from adding safety cushions to apple trees, to talking to her as if she's a baby, to checking on her if she wanted a snack... now I'll admit, Applebloom didn't seem quite ready by the looks of things, but not nearly at the magnitude that Applejack was making it out to be.  Honestly, I don't know what the hell they were thinking!   :okiedokielokie:

The only redeeming factor of the entire episode is the ending.  I'm not going to spoil anything about it, you HAVE to watch it!  But I just can't enjoy it after all the crap I had to watch beforehand.  In fact, the episode is so bad, that the ending pretty much singlehandedly brings the episode's score up from a 0.7/10 to a 4/10.  That's just sad.  I think I'm being pretty generous, but that scene was just so cool, but the episode was excruciatingly awful!  Even worse than Simple Ways, but there was nothing good about that episode, and this episode had an awesome final scene, so because of that, Somepony To Watch Over Me is overall a better episode.  I guess I just really like the ending.

4/10

(Hasbro, please remember that there are more than just kids watching this show, alright?)

This episode was one of the biggest screw ups I've ever seen on the show.  It really pains me to see episodes like this.  And that's your review for today by TheLuigiLightning.  Have a good day, everyone...

(There's no journal entry either, this proves they knew how bad it was).

Edited by TheLuigiLightning

I never thought I would ever have to say this and I feel horrible saying this as I have always been a huge AJ fan but that was the worst Applejack episode I have ever seen. They completely and thoroughly butchered Applejack's character in this episode by making her so completely out of character that she is barely even recognizable. Yes it is believable that Applejack can in some cases maybe be overprotective but that was ridiculous, this would have been far far more believable as a Rarity and Sweetie Belle episode than an Applejack and Applebloom episode because Rarity strikes me more as a pointless worry wort than Applejack. She was seriously worried that Applebloom wouldn't remember to open the droor to get a spoon, WTF? They just arbitrarily played up the over protective big sister thing for the sake of comedy and it fell completely flat because it made Applejack so painfully out of character.

(edited)

Okay so we were long overdue for an Applejack episode. This episode was a lot of fun. I'm sure there are some flaws but I wasn't really looking for them. I just woke up a few minutes ago...so I'll let someone else point out the flaws. I just watched it for the enjoyment of it. 

Apple Bloom did really well for still being so young but I can see why Applejack was worried for her. This is something that goes all the way back to Bridle Gossip in Season 1--Applejack stuck on Apple Bloom being too young to go very far by herself. However it's not out of Apple Bloom's character to do stupid things in order to prove herself. Like wandering into the Everfree Forest alone or pulling a pie cart to a town that sits along a dangerous route. And just because Applejack is the Element of Honesty, that doesn't mean she is going to be honest 100% of the time. That's what I love about these characters. They're imperfect. And that gives them room to grow. Applejack initial failure to make the pie delivery was one of those times she messed up, although the timeliness of the pie delivery was never brought into question. 

All in all this was a great episode. There was a character flaw that was exploited, someone was in danger of death, more mythical creatures (another thing I love about this show--dragons and hydras and chimeras oh my!), and a pony either went crazy or got carried away. 

Applejack's obsession with protecting Apple Bloom really sold this one for me. Her persistence that Apple Bloom wear a helmet was great, especially when she slapped that second helmet on her (THE HELMETS HAVE BEEN DOUBLED!). They might have gone a little too far with it, I admit, but you also have to understand that this is something Applejack has never done before. And I go back to Bridle Gossip on this. Applejack is very protective of her sister. I feel like her worry for Apple Bloom was natural. Of course, she could have gone home, seen that everything was alright, and get back on the road, knowing that Apple Bloom wouldn't have had everything done perfectly but that she would be okay as a whole. However, had this happened, some of the best moments of the episode would have been missing.

On the other side of the coin...Ponyville can be a pretty dangerous place too...there has been an Ursa Minor attack before. Dragons sleep in nearby caves. When the God of Chaos decides to attack, Ponyville is the first place he goes for. And it's right next to a forest chock full of dangerous mythical beasts (and Fluttershy happens to live at the edge of it) So I guess you can never really be too sure. 

For some of you folks who say that they butchered Applejack's character, keep in mind that Applejack snapped. It wasn't as obvious as some of the other times that ponies have snapped. But if you get so worried or angry or upset and you snap, do you act like yourself? Applejack was so overcome with worry about Apple Bloom (again, having never left her home alone before...and do you know what kind of mischief she and her friends can get into??) that she kinda broke and went nucking futs/full retard. This isn't the first time a character has been broken down. For example, look at Twilight. I'd say that, nomally, she's a very logical and thorough pony. Most of the time there's an explanation for something. There's an intelligent way to work out a problem. Was she very logical at all in Lesson Zero? I'd say something along the lines of that happened to AJ today. Applejack knew that Apple Bloom could handle herself. She just wasn't ready for it. Overcome with worry, she acted entirely out of character. It wasn't inexcusable like Rarity's endorsement of child labor in Sleepless in Ponyville. She just wanted to be sure Apple Bloom was really safe. And she learned from this mistake and righted her wrong. 

Just being most levelheaded pony doesn't guarantee levelheadedness. AJ wasn't very levelheaded in Applebuck Season. She was stubborn. I think we can all agree that AJ is undoubtedly the most stubborn pony. And I'd say she demonstrated her stubbornness to a tee today. 

Okay, I've ranted long enough so I'm gonna end it on this note. While I liked this episode, my only qualm right now is that we don't know what happened to Granny Smith or Big Mac. I would have preferred to see the episode end with those two returning and asking Apple Bloom how her stay at home alone went and there being some inside joke with her and Applejack. But as far as we know, they could never have returned. Big Mac could have mobbed by dragons. Granny Smith might have thrown out her hip and might be at the hospital. We don't know! :lol: okay this is unlikely. Although the ending was warm and fuzzy and it was good, I feel like it could have been better. 

At least Apple Bloom got all her chores done. Now Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle don't have to do her chores for her :lol:

This episode gets a solid 8/10 from me. I liked it and I had fun with it but there are other AJ episodes that are much better.

Edited by Jean Valjean
  • Brohoof 2

Not in keeping with Applejacks character? perhaps not, but at least it was adorable. I drewded a pikchur for it o_0

Nice :D I saw that some people already started making fan arts, I can't wait to see today's Drawfriend Stuff on Equestria Daily! 

And... well...

IT WAS SO AWESOME  :wub:

post-20905-0-00979300-1394300640_thumb.jpgpost-20905-0-82206100-1394300641_thumb.jpgpost-20905-0-56407600-1394300643_thumb.jpgpost-20905-0-23918200-1394300645_thumb.jpgpost-20905-0-85976700-1394300646_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 2