245 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

• 1 year later...

I thought this was a good Episode for Applebloom and an interesting Adventure even. Only Applejacks reaction, with making the barn extra safety, was a bit to over the top to be believable for me.

• 5 months later...
(edited)

I've spent a lot of time bagging on this one, so I was surprised to find a lot to enjoy here. The Applejack stuff is still really irritating - I find some humour in the exaggeration now, but I really don't wanna see it from Applejack, and stuff like the apple nets is so ridiculous that it doesn't even seem real anymore. I'm not sure I buy any of this from Applejack, even with her sympathetic motivation, and a little more subtlety would have gone a long way. Still, if you've gotta do something like this, then this is probably the right approach, and the CMC reaction shots are consistently hilarious, even if what they're reacting to is grating caricature. The stuff about not wanting to be treated like a kid anymore resonates, and that fight scene with the chimera is genuinely exciting. The event that actually convinced Applejack that Apple Bloom could be left alone feels kinda perfunctory, though; I mean, she did just get herself into danger due to a lack of preparation, and that doesn't really fit the moral being presented here. Still, maybe it's just because of my low expectations, but this isn't nearly as bad as I had remembered; I'd even say I enjoyed chunks of it even though all the same issues I had with it before still apply. 

Score:
Entertainment: 5/10
Characters: 4/10
Themes: 7/10

Story: 4/10
Overall: 50/100

Edited by AlexanderThrond

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I enjoyed this episode, and Applejack’s over the topness. I can see why others don’t like it, but she didn’t annoy me like other characters do in their caricature versions.

The three headed beast was strange and out of place. Why do the Apples put up with that every delivery to that town? Pay some pegasi to fly the pies over the danger. Ask Fluttershy to deal with the beast. Offer a pies for safe passage deal.

Granny Smith said both deliveries were equally hard, right? I wonder what Big Mac had to deal with.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this episode is slightly scaring. The three-headed monster is something unpredictable! Delivery to that town is irrational and absurdly. As was said @Meushell

On 8/20/2018 at 10:42 AM, Meushell said:

Pay some pegasi to fly the pies over the danger.

I think It's a good idea!

Also, Applejack was so irritating! As for me, I don't like keeping watch over me too much. Freedom is awesome!

And I wonder where did Granny Smith go...

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

I have mixed feelings about this episode. I actually didn't hate Applejack being out of character a bit, because it was quite funny. What actually felt really out of place for me is the weird burning place with the chimera sisters. The story took such an abrupt turn into action fantasy, and the transition just felt unnatural.

• 3 months later...

Applejack being so exaggerated here didn't have to be such a big problem. If it was actually funny, it could've at least been a guilty pleasure. But no, Applejack is incredibly annoying instead of funny. It's a combination of her being pushed so far and the fact that it's Applejack, the most logical of the mane six, doing this. When Twilight lost her mind, there were reasons or at least there was progression. Lesson Zero had Twilight slowly deteriorate and It's About Time had Twilight stay awake for days. In this episode, Applejack is super exaggerated right from the start. And it doesn't help that she's made oblivious too. Applejack can't comprehend that maybe Apple Bloom has a point when she says that her initially falling off the table and making a mess was Applejack's fault. Of course, Apple Bloom doesn't elaborate on that point because that would make sense and end the episode. 

And the ending is terrible too. Apple Bloom puts herself into extreme danger and is rewarded for it. There are two problems with this. One, it makes Applejack look even worse. Apparently Apple Bloom falling off a table convinces Applejack that Apple Bloom needs extreme protection, but Apple Bloom running off recklessly and putting herself in danger convinces Applejack that Apple Bloom can take care of herself. It's inconsistent with how Applejack has been written in the rest of the episode and makes the whole thing even more frustrating. The second problem is that it sends a really bad message. It's like that problem in Bridle Gossip where Apple Bloom ran off to a stranger and was rewarded except now it's the main focus of the episode and it's even worse since Apple Bloom is actually put into danger here.

Despite the overwhelming negatives, there are some things I like. The cold open is cute and some of Applejack's overprotectiveness is kinda funny. I like Applejack putting a bike helmet on Apple Bloom's head when she already had one on. And there are some other jokes that work, particularly when Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo are there. And the action scene at the swamp is fun to watch. It's just not enough to make up for everything going against the episode.

Score: 2/10

• 6 months later...

AJ was definitely over the top here, I think the episode would have worked better if she actually had a good reason to behave like this, lets say something actually did happen to AB or she did something to make AJ worry, but here it comes out of nowhere and felt forced to me. The chimera was a very interesting character but the fight itself was pretty cringe worthy. 5\10

• 1 year later...

In my opinion, this episode is bottom of the barrel trash! Mostly because of Applejack was being so borderline out of character and trying SO desperately hard to protect Apple Bloom as humanly possible and it just comes off as really irritating. I can understand this kind of concept can work back in Season 1, but this is Season 4, and it doesn't work.

It also doesn't help that Applejack doesn't hold any accountability nor apologizing for all the ruckus she caused and babying Apple Bloom throughout the entire episode. 

Despite it's MASSIVE issues, there are some good things that I do like. The chimera looks pretty cool. Apple Bloom's song being interrupted was pretty funny. And seeing Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle wearing Apple Bloom's bow was so super cute.

Other than that, it was such a horrible episode and it sucks because I was interested seeing Apple Bloom taking care of herself and the house for a day and have this Home Alone type story. I would much rather had that than what we got instead, to be honest.

Edited by JMTV99

• 2 years later...

I thought this episode was pretty amusing and hilarious. I would wonder why Applejack and Big Mac deliver the pies through a burning swamp with a dangerous Chimera, but I've always enjoyed seeing the CMC interact and get up to mischief. I would have wanted to see a "home alone" type of episode where Apple Bloom had the whole farm to herself and it revolved around her dealing with it. 

Wow, Applejack is a overprotective sister, no way ? What a twist ! No one could've seen that coming, right ? Who would've thought, I'm shocked !

For real, it makes sense for her to try and protect Applebloom as best ass she can. But I also get why Applebloom would want some independence. It's a very liberating feelings to be home alone as a kid/teenager. But sneaking out to try and bring the pies to the end of the swamp was really dumb on her part. She knows how dangerous it is, and she didn't even bring protection. Applejack in her full gear to deal with the Chimera was pretty cool (and hot). I just love how strong and valiant she is, worthy of being the best pony (not my favourite but the objective best one).

Finally, the swamp bayou cajun ponies were pretty funny, like they were high all the time, and it wouldn't suprise me if they actually ate some meat, unlike the regular ponies. But that's just a theory ! A pony theory ! Thanks for reading.

I'd say this episode is a 7.5/10, I love the Apples so much, and their family dynamic is pretty fun to watch !