S04:E17 - Somepony to Watch Over Me  

245 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I loved the episode, who doesn't relate to being overprotective over ones sister. Or have someone being overprotective. Anyway, awesome the goat, lion and snake. Also funny seeing swamp ponies, we're definitely seeing more of Equestria. I enjoyed the episode it was awesome, Applejack is awesome.

• Brohoof 1

Bit of a bore to sit through, but I did like the Chimera, and the song being cut short. Two brights spots in an otherwise distinctly lackluster episode. Although I did miss the beginning, so perhaps on a second viewing I'll like it more.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Pros:

-CMC

-No GAK Ad's

-New Town

-Redneck Ponies

-New Creature (Chimera)

-Tactical Chair

-Socks

Cons:

-Not even taking a scratch trying to escape from the chimera

9/10

Edited by Twilightlicous
  • Brohoof 1

SWEET CELESTIA, AJ, YOU'RE BATMAN!!!!!!  :o

Gosh dang, Applejack be proving yet again that she got the finest moves out of all the Mane 6.  B)  I'm serious, no pony kicks flank as regularly as she does, and with her hooves alone no less, no wings or magic whatsoever.

Also, apparently they were travelling to Equestria's Cajun Country.  :lol:

Overall, this was a great episode I thought, on par with Rarity and Sweetie Belle's "Sisterhooves Social" and Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo's "Sleepless in Ponyville".  I'll have a full review out later, but suffice to say right now that this episode gets two big thumbs up from this guy.  :muffins:

• Brohoof 4

Well that was a nice cinema effect. I did like the joke of the song getting cut off. It's like a joke about how much songs there are this season. Anyway not much to say about this one. Everything seemed typical pretty good, though overprotective Applejack ranged from being funny to being a little annoying.

• Brohoof 1

I raelly liked this episode!

• First off, seeing AJ being protective is a side we've never seen before. She's always been the cool sister, but seeing how she genuily cares for her little sister was really touching!
  • Seeing how the characters getting older, the writers are giving the characters more chores. I love this!
  • That part where they were about to sing the song, but said no time...that was hilarious!!!

Now, that monster. The monster is called a Chimera. It was a really intense and super bad ass battle between AJ and the the Chimera. I loved how they threw that in, but the kept the story going.

And I really liked the Pony New Orelans. I found it hilarious, and very  cool.

I liked it. Gave a lot of character developments, and a great AJ episode.

9.3/10

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Good episode, weren't really any flaws. Just wish I could appreciate Apple Bloom and/or AJ episodes more. :huh:

Now, the Sweetie Belle/Rarity episode coming up... :D

Edited by Frostgage
  • Brohoof 1

Kinda mixed on this episode, there's a lot of things I liked but a lot that raised my eyebrow

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Second episode of the season without Pinkie? Okay then.  :(

Umm, otherwise I moderately enjoyed that! It felt like a comparison to another sister-relationship; Sweetie Belle and Rarity, which was covered in Sisterhooves Social. Except this time around, Applejack fusses over her sister lovingly and remedially, rather than angrily. :P Nice little spin on it.

I don't feel like doing anything extensively reviewing it, but I will list a few other things I liked.

• More exploration, I like them carrying that theme this season. Big crux for fan art and fiction in that fiery swamp!
  • Chimaera, too, was a great method of world building.
  • The denied song was fantastic.
  • Apple Bloom just had a ton of adorable moments, trying to shine in the family. This is the sort of CMC shenanigans that I enjoy watching :)

It can have a nice, plump 7.5/10 from me.

Edited by Flipturn
  • Brohoof 3

I know, right? They have to have best pony in every episode.  :(

I was jokingly exaggerating in my post where I said it was no good, though. It was alright but nothing special and Pinkie was sorely missed.  :P

• Brohoof 2

omc redneck ponies!!!! lol But seriously this was a great episode. we finaly get an applejack and applebloom episode. Plus we also get to see how much of a .... awsome pony applejack is. 9/10 from this guy.

• Brohoof 1

Not going to lie, that was better than I expected it be based off the synopsis. With that said however, Applejack was beyond ridiculous this episode. I can understand being worried about her little sister, but notice that all Applejack's attempts to "help" were actually causing more harm than good. Applebloom was perfectly fine until she showed up, and as someone who has an OCD habit of checking everything five times before leaving the house, having her check every couple of seconds was a bit much wouldn't you say?

The standout highlight for this episode was the presence of the chimera. The best part however was that it talked! Up to this point we've seen creatures that could be considered monsters like Timberwolves and Hydras, but this is one of the first times said creature was sentient enough to be capable of speech (outside of dragons and possibly changelings). Those three need a name (or three names. Would they be considered a single entity or three actually?) besides just "the chimera".

And the denied song...I always laugh when MLP starts getting meta.  

• Brohoof 3

Well that episode was kinda different... silly but different. If you ask me Applejack was a little too weird here though, I mean she really went overboard babying Apple Bloom here, and that was most of the episode... we really haven't seen her act like this before. Also, the chimera... did it have to talk? I mean I guess since it had hooves it could, but it was kinda weird and less threatening that way in my opinion. :huh:

The episode at least had some fun gags though- the hat/bows closet, Applejack wondering if Apple Bloom could find a spoon, the helmet thing(probably the funniest part about the babying), the cut-off song- this new writer got the humor down at least. Plus Applejack was pretty badass at the end there, so this episode has at least some redeeming entertainment value. B)

Overall though... this episode was just kinda good. I commend it for trying to be a little different, but the episode just ends up being ooc Applejack and annoyed Apple Bloom 80% of the time, which was weird and kinda boring... it was still fun here and there but this is probably my least favorite episode of the season so far. :huh:

7.5/10

• Brohoof 2

It's nice to see the CMC actually be competent for once!  Having known nothing about the episode before watching it, I thought that this was going to be all about Apple Bloom learning about the responsibility of being home alone, but it wasn't!  She was actually pretty good at it.  Her over-excitement about being left home alone also brought back a lot of memories.

The "We don't have time for a song!" line is probably one of the funniest lines I've heard in the entire show.  I'm pretty sure I've never laughed so hard at a joke in MLP before that.  It was just so well executed.

If I had to complain about anything, it would probably be that I felt the conclusion was a bit unrealistic, or at least the one line AJ says about not needing to hover over Apple Bloom anymore.  Also, they forgot about the lightning sand and ROUS, but that's a minor thing.  :P

Overall, a fun and good episode.  Not the best, but far from the worst.

• Brohoof 1

Umm, otherwise I moderately enjoyed that! It felt like a comparison to another sister-relationship; Sweetie Belle and Rarity, which was covered in Sisterhooves Social. Except this time around, Applejack fusses over her sister lovingly and remedially, rather than angrily. :P Nice little spin on it.

I don't feel like doing anything extensively reviewing it, but I will list a few other things I liked.

• More exploration, I like them carrying that theme this season. Big crux for fan art and fiction in that fiery swamp!
  • Chimaera, too, was a great method of world building.
  • The denied song was fantastic.
  • Apple Bloom just had a ton of adorable moments, trying to shine in the family. This is the sort of CMC shenanigans that I enjoy watching :)

It can have a nice, plump 7.5/10 from me.

We all know that Pinkie makes every episode better. So without best pony, what are we to do?

• Brohoof 2

This was a pretty fun episode! Not absolutely amazing or anything, but really enjoyable ^^

The opening with the CMC trying to act all mature then turning a corner and suddenly celebrating was adorable :wub:

Applejack was a lot of fun this episode. She seems to have learned how to teleport from Pinkie Pie, too. Her overprotectiveness was funny, but I did feel for Apple Bloom.

Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo was pretty damn cute. Sweetie’s “That sounds delightful” was so like her sister. And I was all excited for a song but then Scoots had to go and ruin that, huh? And they both looked cute in the bows

Also, “Like she does everything, with SASS!”

The spooky forest was cool, but where is it? Looking at the map of Equestria, the swamps are off to the south-east and there’s no town on the other side. There is Hayseed on the side closer to Ponyville but if that’s where the pies were going, why did AB have to go through the swamps? Or was that White Tail Woods? Or another part of the Everfree Forest? And if the town wasn’t Hayseed, then where was it? :huh:

The chimera sisters monster thing was awesome and they’re interactions were entertaining, but, yea, they were scary :blink:

Applejack was a boss in that final scene. A boss in flame proof boots

This was a really fun episode. I was worried for a awhile at the beginning that Applejack would ruin it, but it's hard to go wrong with Applebloom. It has some great jokes and references as well. The "No time for a song!" and "How does Applebloom sleep?" jokes killed, and so did the nods to Princess Bride and Jungle Book. Also, I can never get enough mythical creatures and new locations in Equestria. Seriously, how badass is a Fire Swamp populated by chimerae? Buck yeah!