Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Kodiak

The last episodes I used to get people into the show were Party of One and Mare in the Moon (parts one and two). However, I'm going to try my luck with Bird in the Hoof and see how that goes, seeing as how the whole episode is focused on comedy between Fluttershy and Philomena. Mileage may vary, but that's my response. ;)

I think the best episode to get into the show would be Sonic Rainboom. Just the amount of awesomeness that Rainbow Dash has and the witty humor was enough to pull me into the fandom, so why not others?

Edited by Flaedr
  • Brohoof 1

I think the best episode to get into the show would be Sonic Rainboom. Just the amount of awesomeness that Rainbow Dash has and the witty humor was enough to pull me into the fandom, so why not others?

Same here, that episode got me hooked into the series

DAMN.

STRAIGHT.

But no, in all seriousness, I would use Lesson 0. It's off the top funny, kooky, just a barrel of laughs. Especially dat Twilight pedo face.

Posted Image

• Brohoof 10

The episode that got me hooked is probably "Dragonshy", when all six go on an adventure up a mountain to stop a dragon from endangering Equestria? I mean, wow. Who knew dragons and ponies went so well together?

Edited by Zero

• 2 weeks later...

Id begin by showing this non brony a clip from the original show then id say "this is what you imagine me watching".

THEN id stick on series 2 'Lesson Zero' of FiM and say "This is what i watch!"

Hope that helped :lol:

Bridle Gossip is a great introductory episode. It's funny and mature and has some excellent points about jumping to conclusions and judging something or someone before giving them a chance. Much like non-bronies need to give the show a second look before judging it, so the ponies needed to take another look at Zecora before presuming the worst.

Sonic Rainboom is an awesome episode with good humor, plenty of Rainbow Dash, and a bit of exciting heroism. Good all-around episode

Party of One is great for all the above reasons. Depends on who your target non-brony is.

Return of Harmony 1&2 for the Trekkies out there considering the show. John deLancie. The Trekkies will love it. :)

I've usually just shown people the first 2 episodes. But some of these other ones are good suggestions for people who despise MLP without ever seeing it... we all know that the majority of those types are just bronies who don't want to be bronies. :)

Besides the pilot, I'd have to go with Dragonshy and the Cutie Mark Chronicles. The former shows that this isn't the typical show aimed at young girls. You've got dragons, mountain climbing trecks and all topped off with the epic staredown of Fluttershy vs Dragon.

With the CMC, you idividually encounter each member of the mane 6, as well as being given a definite backstory for each of them. Not to mention I'm pretty sure anyone can relate wth the hardships encountered as a kid such as being picked on by bullies, wanting to succeed in something you enjoy or just trying to get past that first day of school.

• Brohoof 1

I find that Lesson Zero, Party of One, Return of Harmony 1+2, A Dog and Pony Show, Hearth's Warming Eve, Secret of my Excess, The Cutie Pox, Luna Eclipsed, May the Best Pet Win, The Mysterious Mare Do Well, Sweet and Elite, Sonic Rainboom, The Cutie Mark Chronicles, Owl's Well That Ends Well, Feeling Pinkie Keen and The Best Night Ever are kinda too character/continuity-based to be newbie episodes.

Friendship is Magic 1+2, Boast Busters, Griffon the Brush Off, Winter Wrap Up and Fall Weather Friends are all a little...no offence, cheesy, and could turn away some early viewers.

The Ticket Master and Applebuck Season are all well, too boring for new viewers. I mean we can hardly encourage a non-brony to join up with very slice-of-lifey episodes.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders episodes don't really represent the usual feel of the show.

Suited For Success and Green Isn't Your Color are in my opinion, amazing episodes, but the typically feminine theme of fashion could deceive new viewers that the show is just as girly as the stereotype. Similarly, you should avoid Look Before You Sleep by fifty miles. Sleepovers are even MORE likely to deceive the non-brony of over femininity.

And despite the fact Over a Barrel is an amazing episode with the best message of all in my opinion, it's too far from MLP's usual setting for it to show off what the show is actually like.

In conclusion, I'd recommend Dragonshy, because it not only shows each character quite well (Twilight's leadership skills, Pinkie's randomness, Rarity's fashion obsession and hatred of dirt, Rainbow's bluntness and courage, Applejack's down-to-earth persona, and of course, Fluttershy's tenderness and fear of everything xD); the episode is also very action-adventure, which to be honest is something a non-brony would find very pleasantly surprising in a show like MLP.

• Brohoof 2

Luna Eclipsed maybe.

The characters are all their usual candy colors but the costumes make it a little less girly looking, hence easier for a guy to watch. The humor throughout the episode is also some of my favorite. Pinkie Pie is being herself but she's not as up in your face as she is in other episodes. Her chicken act and pretending to think Luna is eating ponies is rather funny xD

Let's talk about the structure of the right episode.

-It needs to show the strong traits of the 6 main ponies.

-It needs to bring in the audience's attention to both a serious and humorous way.

-It needs to present itself in a way where an early viewer could see where the episodes end (a lesson learned and sent to Celestia)

Lesson Zero is perfect for that, and not just because my name is Zero.

Edited by Zero
  • Brohoof 1

• 5 weeks later...

So, let's say you're having to introduce someone new to MLP.

Is the first episode really the best episode to introduce someone to the series?

What episode do you show them first, and why?

Just an interesting and very practical question :P

I'm pretty sure we have a thread like this one somewhere in Sugarcube corner.

Anyway, for me it would have to be either Dragonshy, Party of One or Lesson Zero.

Of course it's also good to start with the pilot episodes, but lots of people wouldn't find very exciting

edit: here's the thread http://mlpforums.com/topic/2508-what-episode-to-introduce-a-non-brony-to-the-show-with/page__p__78114__hl__introductory__fromsearch__1#entry78114

Edited by Marshmallow

So, let's say you're having to introduce someone new to MLP.

Just a heads-up, I merged your thread with an existing one we have on the topic. As a general reminder, only stuff that isn't related to ponies should go into the Everfree Forest board. ;)