Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Kodiak

I have no idea but I do know the perfect one to not show a non brony! Slice of Life, they will most likely not get the self refferencing. In my opinion the first one is always the best.

S01E01, of course.

It really shows what the ponies really are, and who they represent.

There surely has been some development on the characters, but episode one will surely introduce the show to new viewers perfectly.

• 1 month later...

I agree that the order must be kept as well as possible, but I also think that Friendship is Magic might not be a good introduction to the show. You see, one of the complaints about that episode is that the characters seem to be a little a different, to have some different chemistry; and I think that's true because they still hadn't discovered the magic of friendship and weren't actual friends by that time. Also, it's a two parter(which, by itself, can put people off: it's easier to give a chance to 20min than to 40min) and, therefore, it's more adventure and action packed with a peculiar pacing(great pacing, but different from the usual), it has a type of story that is not seen that often in the show. That way, it doesn't show the viewer exactly what they are going to be dealing with if they watch My Little Pony; therefore, I think this one could be skipped in one's first time.

Well, keeping the order of the show, I think that the best introduction would be The Ticket Master. It would be ridiculous to show someone Magical Mystery Cure or Lesson Zero first, it's necessary to know the characters very well to understand and appreciate what happens, but The Ticket Master has a very simple plot that focuses on the characters having a problem(as opposed to a problem that is to be solved) and, that way, it can also serve as a good introduction to them and the usual chemistry between them. Also, the third episode is an small story with a problem solved with friendship(without the massive brutal killing rainbows part), some kind of development for all characters involved and a group hug in the end(I love those group hugs!), which is much closer to an average My Little Pony episode. Also, it doesn't feature any songs besides Pinkie's Gala Fantasy, which is easily ignorable by people that would find the musical part weird, but gives a good taste to those who would like it. Plus, even though one person might like another episode better later on, it's best to stick to the normal order, specially since the show does have a continuity on the character development, which might not be noticed if you choose a later episode.

With that, I think that The Ticket Master is the safest bet to be the first; and Friendship is Magic is to be watched right after, of course. Sorry, was that too much?

Edited by IDoNotSpeakEnglish

It's hard not to watch episode 1 for an introduction. Everypony is introduced in this episode, the lore is explained, it explains how the sun rotates, and introduces Celestia and Luna in the best way it can.

As we all know, there are plenty of episodes to chose from. The real question is, what is this person like?

If they're the kind of person who demand action for attention, why not one of the finales? Especially the fight in Twilight's Kingdom.

If they're the kind of person who is kind of OCD like, and needs to watch episodes in order, why not try Friendship is Magic?

If you think they would need something funny, plot not being a major concern, there's plenty of choices for that too.

This being said, also take into consideration what kind of pony they would relate to the most. We all have more than likely chosen our favorite ponies, if any, based on how we can relate to them, or what we would prefer to see in a future mate, perhaps.

If this person seems like they would be a Twilight fan, why not an episode such as Lesson ZeroA Royal Canterlot Wedding, or maybe even Magical Mystery Cure? (Just a few examples!)

If a Rarity fan, you would have choices like Rarity Takes Manehatten, or A Dog and Pony Show.

Just things like that. In my opinion, to accurately choose what episode to show said person to gain their entry to the herd, first know what the person likes and such.

Just a little advice, best wishes on your herd recruiting! ^^

You just made things much easier for me. Thank you so much for the order that you've presented each concern with. :)

What got me even more curious about the show after I watched the Season 3 Premiere at my cousins, was "MMMystery on the Friendship Express".

The references caught my full attention.

The reference that screamed at me the most was the James Bond reference (since I was into James Bond at the time (even today I'm still into the movie series)). :)

Edited by Jonny Music

• 1 month later...

After having fun taking pictures of a twilight plush on vacation with my dad he has become increasingly interested in seeing what twilight looks like and sounds like. What would be a good way to introduce twilight to my dad?

He also saw the yay part of sonic rainboom and thought it was hilarious. And he is supportive of me watching the show btw

Edited by alpinefroggy

I recently indoctrinated introduced one of my friends to the show. It began completely accidental, but I just rolled with it.

First, I got his attention with an extra dose of lore (he likes lore. :3 ) with Ponyphonic's "Lullaby for a Princess", and then I threw "Applebuck Season" in his face. It worked! :3

• 1 year later...

I introduced my sister using Lesson Zero. She knows the characters already due to me constantly talking about them, and it had the perfect mix of funny moments to get her into it. But it was actually Lullaby for a princess that got me hooked! Though my first official episode was Spice up your Life. (And I got lullaby for a princess thanks to warriors cats books! Funny how things work out like that) 

• Brohoof 1

hmmmm well I think i introduced people early on with Bridle Gossip because "look racism in a cartoon" ... heh ^^; 

but nowadays I lean towards showing the decent discord episodes because modern references! It's easier to get non brony attention with Discord. and the face that its John De Lancie. Slice of Life is also a good one for the same reason, but also "lol Lyra and Bonbon are SO not lesbians" which I always find amusing and the Doctor Who references. Still love the 4th Doctor's scarf being in there. 

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)
On 8/22/2015 at 0:22 PM, IDoNotSpeakEnglish said:

It would be ridiculous to show someone Magical Mystery Cure or Lesson Zero first, it's necessary to know the characters very well to understand and appreciate what happens,

Heh, Lesson Zero and Magical Mystery Cure are my two favorites, and the former is the first episode I ever saw and responsible for getting me into it. I think it shows a nice glimpse of each character and what their personalities are. Granted, Magical Mystery Cure shows the characters already well advanced in terms of their development so I wouldn't pick that as an intro. When I introduced my brother to the show I showed him Party of One, which he liked, but after he saw Friendship is Magic 1&2 he said they were better for getting to know the show, which stands to reason.  

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 1

Might as well start at the beginning I figure. My first was Putting Your Hoof Down, but after one or two other episodes after it, I was convinced to go back and start from the pilot.

The first few episodes did give the show a good start, they explained the situation well. Though many other episodes, for example Party of One could have worked too.

I recommend "Canterlot Wedding" and "Luna Eclipsed". Both are good, timeless episodes that I found to really good to start introducing. 

If I can, "A Royal Problem" is probably the next one because it's just so great, even if that's already Season 7. 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...