Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A Beginner's Guide to Roleplaying

Finesthour

I was busy, and unable to get to a computer. Actually, RPs and Fanfics aren't that different. Both tell stories. The mane difference is that instead of a single person writing it and calling the shots, multiple ponies control multiple characters. And knowing more about Daisy would be pretty essential in a character driven RP. And besides, even in a story driven RP, the characters should still be interesting. And I will be dead honest, in all my time on any website ever, the RPs that last longer and ponies clearly enjoyed were the ones that had several paragraphs. The ones that only had short posts and chat-box-esque replys were the ones that either died in a week, or turned into a spam/flame war. There were a few that finished, but they were in the minority. And I still don't see how detail is so bad. Its detail that makes the post more vivid and appealing. Heck, detail makes everything more appealing, characters, settings, etc. For example, which movie would you be more inclined to watch? A dad is separated from his son and must travel a long ways with an annoying sidekick to get him back. Or When Marlin, a father clownfish who can be a bit over-protective, loses his son Nemo to some divers, he must travel across the ocean with his forgetful-but-lovable sidekick Dory, overcoming hazards such as sharks, mines, deep sea monstrosities, and more, so he can be reunited with his son. Obviously, they are both the same movie. But the second one was much more descriptive, and paints a more detailed image, and reveals details that we would not of known before, like what obstacles he'll face, his name, and the fact that the characters are fish. But oh well, we clearly both have different preferences on RPs, and by now, you probably think 'm some evil jerkass who sits at my the bottom of the ocean evil base,

typing these posts.
No, I believe you have views that no one else shares. Tis' all.

And no, they are different. Ask any one who has been on Role Play sites for long posts like that, and THEY are the ones who die.

My disagreements with tom were mainly due to him insisting on certain formats and stuff.

Detail is good, but giving too much detail is bad. If your character is sneaking into an enemy hideout or something, more detail would be great. If somebody asks you what you want to drink, you don't need a paragraph to explain why you want water.

Daisy considered the question for a moment before replying.

"I'll just have water, please"

That would be sufficient^

You don't need to write a paragraph to answer a single question unless it's a major question, or the answer is weird and the reason behind it carries significance.

Also, it's not good to just randomly throw in character development. If you say:

"a man walked through the door. He wore a long, leather trench coat with hood obscuring his face. His heavily scarred hands toyed with the hilt of a sword thrust in his belt. The scars came from... (several paragraphs explaining how he got the scars)

That's random character development. It doesn't make sense where it is, and would most likely break up the flow of the writing. now, if somebody asks him why his hands are all scarred up, then those several paragraphs of character dev are fine.

• 3 weeks later...

My disagreements with tom were mainly due to him insisting on certain formats and stuff. Detail is good, but giving too much detail is bad. If your character is sneaking into an enemy hideout or something, more detail would be great. If somebody asks you what you want to drink, you don't need a paragraph to explain why you want water. Daisy considered the question for a moment before replying. "I'll just have water, please" That would be sufficient^ You don't need to write a paragraph to answer a single question unless it's a major question, or the answer is weird and the reason behind it carries significance. Also, it's not good to just randomly throw in character development. If you say: "a man walked through the door. He wore a long, leather trench coat with hood obscuring his face. His heavily scarred hands toyed with the hilt of a sword thrust in his belt. The scars came from... (several paragraphs explaining how he got the scars) That's random character development. It doesn't make sense where it is, and would most likely break up the flow of the writing. now, if somebody asks him why his hands are all scarred up, then those several paragraphs of character dev are fine.

That is exactly where I was coming from. 20 paragraphs explaining your action is TOTALY not needed. If it was a book, maybe. but the last thing I would want, with many others, is to read an entire wall of text to just respond small.

Bumped as people don't seem to notice this exists.

• 4 weeks later...

Always great to have new RPers :)

Btw, you should join Elements of Nature when the next part starts, which shouldn't be too long, I think. I hope. Maybe :/

I could see them working best under the control of the RP creator, as they can keep them in the right positions to benefit, and not ruin the story.

My point exactly.

If done correctly, Alicorns can work.

I used to do quite abit of rping in video games, so this stuff seems more like basics. I'm no pro, so I hope you'll give out more tips later on some time. :3 Thanks for the tips anyway!

Pro tips do not exist.

You learn how to be a pro by experience.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not really that into roleplaying but sometime I need to sit down and read that text and check out how others are doing it

Edited by Jokuc

errr can ask were i can go for rpg's if there are any on this forum

Anything marked "role-play" is an RP. I don't think we have any actual RPG's right now, with actual game mechanics or anything.

I might suggest adding the definition for "IC", which makes a good word for explaining OOCly, such as "ICly you do not know that I am about to eat you."

• 2 weeks later...