Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you Believe in Ghosts/Spirits?

GreyScholar

120 users have voted

1. 1. Do you Believe in Ghosts

• Yes, as one that has died but not passed on, or returned, because of a task needing to be completed
    • Yes, but as spirits that never had a body or lived. Can be harmful to or hateful of the living
    • Yes, but as a impression or memory of an emotional event such as a death, murder, suicide, exc
    • Yes, but as a mix of 1, 2, and/or 3
    • No as I do not believe there is any proof of such, though I am open to the idea.
    • No I believe ghosts are fake and without any evidence to back it up.

The subject of ghosts has always been an interesting one for me. Not only because of how others react, feel, or believe/disbelieve in ghosts but also for how encounters or situations can be interpreted differently by thoses people involved.

I myself feel the idea of ghosts can be divided into a few groups: that of spirits, as in beings that have never had a body and that more often than not have a negative effect over the living. Then there is the impressions or memory left by those who died, not so much the actual ghost of the deceased but more a strong emotional 'imprint' left behind. Perhaps in more rare situations it may actually be a loved one being allowed to come back to deliver a message or bring comfort. Then, finally, there is the deception of the senses that bring one to believe there's something there when there's not. These I believe can all be true interpretations of ghosts and to their existence.

Yet, understandably, it is not always clear or easy to tell what a person is experiencing is one of the above, hence why there is so much disagreement and varying opinions on this subject.

Edited by EquestrianScholar
  • Brohoof 5

I come from a tropical island far into the Pacific with the notorious reputation of being completely haunted. This island that I'm talking about is Guam, where it's ancestors roam the jungles still protecting it from careless wanderers that might deface the ancient culture or history that they left behind.

As for my own family history, we came from the North end of the island where it is now usually more populated and more modern. My family has been known for producing mediums that can see ghosts, it didn't help that the land we grew up in was nothing BUT jungle surrounding a small ranch, so....sightings were plenty. My grandmother's sister was strongly connected to the supernatural going-ons around them as they grew up and was probably one of the last real mediums that died within our family blood. My grandmother would always tell tales of what happened around her and her brothers and sisters as they grew up from faceless specters, giant boars that could talk, and magical little people hiding in the coconut trees.

For me personally...I've always wanted a ghostly encounter ever since I was a little kid. I wanted to be one of those mediums that can communicate and see the ancient people long passed away. I never saw any of it though....but it still fascinates me today that the technology available to us in order to actually communicate with ghosts actually exists! Finally, someone like me who can't see or tell when something is nearby is finally able to experience at least 1/3 of what my family has!

So to answer your question, Yes, I do believe there are ghosts in this world. Both imprints of what once was and the intelligent hauntings of those who have yet to pass on. With an open mind and a fast eye, ANYONE can experience the feeling of being haunted.

• Brohoof 4

I believe there is some sort of entity that emulates living beings or once living beings that science has yet to fully understand. It is entirely possible that they are extradimensional beings, which would explain a lot.

Edited by Dinos4Ever

I did at one point, but not anymore. Well maybe, I believe in aliens, that is just odds of there being planets capable of supporting life. Maybe ghost can exist on a different plane and sometimes manage to breakthrough.

• Brohoof 1

It depends. My religion says that there are demons that walk the Earth, looking to deceive. These demons will take the figures of those we loved, or angels of light. These are what we refer to as "ghosts". So, technically, yes, I believe in them.

• Brohoof 3

I believe a ghost is remnant of a being that has died, and still roams the earth. I do not believe in this; however, I do believe that all living things, including animals, have spirits, and when they die they go to a spirit world in preparation for the final judgement. I also believe that some of these spirits have visited to give guidance and direction to those needing it.

I would believe in ghosts, but they just don't make sense. Why would you wander around scaring people, or other pointless things after death. And  if they are dead people, why aren't places like the Normandy beaches haunted from all that died on D-day? Or  other areas. don't get me wrong, I do believe in a soul, but ghosts not so much.

• Brohoof 1

I would believe in ghosts, but they just don't make sense. Why would you wander around scaring people, or other pointless things after death. And  if they are dead people, why aren't places like the Normandy beaches haunted from all that died on D-day? Or  other areas. don't get me wrong, I do believe in a soul, but ghosts not so much.

Spirits linger where their last breath was taken (aka, trapped so to say)...most of the time, according to mediums, ghosts will try to communicate with the living. To manifest, to call for help, or to be put to rest...have fun possibly? :3

But, if it were a reckless ghost, let's say a demon...that's another story. Those are the ghosts that terrorize the vulnerable. 

I totes believe in the paranormal! I've had one too many experiences with them, and seen some very creepy things. From demon, to a possible angel, and to average spirits. Yes, I believe that they exist...can't fool with that stuff though. I want to try a one of those spirit boards, but my mom freaks and tells me not to mess with that stuff, claiming that it can welcome evil spirits. I heard stories of demons pretending to be someone that the the board user is trying to contact. 

Freaky stuff...like I said, wouldn't mess with them. XD

Edited by Kitteh Cakes

I don't personally believe in them. Hell, I encountered a "Shadow People" but I don't believe in that stupid tripe either. I find it interesting to read about the paranormal and such, but I just don't believe in it. Three of my friends say my room is haunted as well, but I really don't believe in it nor do I really care. 

• Brohoof 2

Not in the traditional sense.. but in the sense of "The dead watch over the living" sort of way, like when a parent dies, they watch over their kids and so on.

Just like how the Angels watch over us, but the family members is much closer :)

(edited)

@@SleeplessSketch

Very nice, places such as this interest me though because of the risks that exist I do worry for those that choose to become a medium as there are many dangers such individuals can face. Your island filled with ghosts and spirits of ages past can be a place of wonder and risks, though thankfully there are ways to keep safe from those that seek to most harm the living.

@@Ceremi,

There is actually an interesting analysis floating around where aliens and the fae (fairies, fair folk, little people, exc) share much in common, that they may actually be one and the same.

@@super2379,

That is actually covered partly with my first group of spirits without a body, that never had a body. These 'spirits', or demons as they can be called, can and very well often do take the forms of those thought to be the deceased to deceive others that try communicating with them... which is why being a medium can be dangerous.

• Brohoof 1

I do.

I am one of those people who aims for balance. I am equally religious and scientific. I think there are many things that the scientific method can explain. With that said, I also think there are a least a few things that are beyond human control and understanding.

Ghosts are fascinating. @@EquestrianScholar pointed out the basic categories many believers roughly identify haunting entities.

When it comes to intelligent ghosts, as in ghosts that interact with the living some how, I theorize them to be souls in Purgatory. (Look it up if unfamiliar) I think of Purgatory is here in our world, and souls that still have some "unfinished business" or are still too attached to this world remain in a spirit form here until they are ready to go to heaven. Because heaven is, well, paradise, most would not hesitate to go. Therefore, I think most souls do not become ghosts. However some simply are not ready yet.

(edited)

I have never personally had any sort of supernatural encounter.

Neither have I, at least not directly. While I was an Elder, my companion had an experience with a dark figure near his bed leaving him unable to move or speak for quite some time. Finally though he was able to get out of bed and get the rest of us to give him a blessing so as to offer him protection against that force that had come near him, there being four of us total in the apartment we were staying in. I believe completely this was real, as I know there are spirits that seek to harm us... who hate us for the bodies we possess and they cannot have, beings that can take any number of forms and have grown quite skilled in deceiving the living over the numerous generations of existence.

I also know that contact with a loved one is possible, though feel that perhaps a medium is not the best choice in reaching one that has become deceased. At the very least because the contact can be intercepted, tapped, causing the message to be answered by the wrong sort.

On ‘ghosts’ themselves I am interested in actually exploring places said to have ghosts, to see for myself what can be found there.

Considering that the human eye can see only what is within a portion of the entire electromagnetic spectrum, I do believe that ghosts could exist. That being said, there are many things that people have yet to learn. We still haven't managed to send people to Pluto yet.  B)

• Brohoof 1

No. I see no reason to believe in souls or spirits to begin with (consciousness is merely a process of the brain). Now if ghosts were something else, that'd be another issue. However, I haven't seen any reason to believe in any kind of ghost.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, I do. As far as I'm concerned they're real. I've seen Orbs before, in the middle of the nights. Some tell me these are demons, some tell me they're guardian angels. I don't know what they are, but they prove to me that there is something out there we don't know about. Also, when I was a little kid, I claimed to see my dead great grandmother on several occasions. My cousin claimed to see a friendly ghost at her house. Another cousin of mine claimed to see a recently deceased family pet.

• Brohoof 1