Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you Believe in Ghosts/Spirits?

GreyScholar

120 users have voted

1. 1. Do you Believe in Ghosts

• Yes, as one that has died but not passed on, or returned, because of a task needing to be completed
    • Yes, but as spirits that never had a body or lived. Can be harmful to or hateful of the living
    • Yes, but as a impression or memory of an emotional event such as a death, murder, suicide, exc
    • Yes, but as a mix of 1, 2, and/or 3
    • No as I do not believe there is any proof of such, though I am open to the idea.
    • No I believe ghosts are fake and without any evidence to back it up.

I'm not going to say emphatically "no", because that would imply that we as human beings have 100% understanding about the world around us.  But we never do, as humans are always learning and discovering new things.  To say that we understand everything would be very arrogant on our part.

I will say that I don't think that there is any concrete, verifiable evidence of ghosts thus far that stands to our current standards of scientific scrutiny.

• Brohoof 1

I do not believe in ghosts.

Call me a killjoy but the idea of ghosts and spirits is silly and illogical. It doesn't make sense and a until I get proof that proves otherwise I never will.

People think I'm a ghost.

I say something to someone.

"Hey, ghost."

JUST TO BE CLEAR

I am NOT a ghost.

Nahh. But it's a fascinating subject to me :D I can't come to an accurate conclusion here, so I don't what to think. I've always been interested in them, though.

Ghosts? No.

Spirits? Yes.

Aren't they the same thing you ask? Absolutely not. I get my beliefs from the Bible. There is no reason for a dead person's soul to wander around Earth. God won't let any spirit to escape him. Either your rewarded with eternal life from following him, or your granted your own dersires and sent away from him forever.

How ironic, the guy with the ghost OC doesn't believe in ghosts.

To be fair though, I'm not completely closed to the idea (in a "Russell's teapot" sort of sense.) When I was a kid, I had a certain experience that may or may not have happened. I remember watching TV and seeing a guy with a grey flat cap and matching suit walk past me to the computer room.

My parents confirmed that I mentioned this to them when I was a kid, but this was 15-16 years ago! My memory is very shaky about the whole thing and plus, it's completely illogical. It might have all been a day dream or even a hallucination. Thus I'm staying firmly rooted in reality, but I do have a bit of wiggle room if I see a fair amount of valid evidence to the contrary.

Edited by Celtore

Well, the thing is... that if ghosts are real, then they are made of matter, but if they are made of matter, then why can they go through walls? So, if they can go through walls, then they are not matter, but if they are not matter, then how come people claim that ghosts can close doors? It's a bit of a contradiction. I say that ghosts only exist in memory, especially if you are emotionally attached to whoever died.

• Brohoof 1

No. But the human brain is pretty good at playing tricks on people. That being said, it's not completely impossible that there exist beings that are invisible/undetectable to us that would be what we call ghosts. But the idea that they are the spirits of the dead coming back to haunt the living is just silly.

But still don't think that's the case. If you've ever had sleep paralysis or taken hallucinatory/dissociative drugs or even just been sleep deprived for extended periods of time, you'd understand how easily the brain can be tricked into believing in paranormal and that kind of stuff and how convincing hallucinations can be. The human brain is amazing, but it's not failproof. In the end, It's possible to see, hear or feel things without an external stimuli. I believe that's how a lot of the "paranormal" stories such as, but not limited to, ghost stories, alien abduction stories and (please don't kill me) spiritual experiences come to be.

So yeah, I'm not excluding the possibility of something similar to how ghosts are typically portrayed actually existing, but I think that most of it just boil down to the brain imagining things. It's easy to see/hear things that aren't there when you're already freaked out.

Well, the thing is... that if ghosts are real, then they are made of matter, but if they are made of matter, then why can they go through walls? So, if they can go through walls, then they are not matter, but if they are not matter, then how come people claim that ghosts can close doors? It's a bit of a contradiction. I say that ghosts only exist in memory, especially if you are emotionally attached to whoever died.

Maybe ghosts are made of antimatter, which is why they can go through matter and such??  :blink:

/notreallybeingserious

• Brohoof 1

Sometimes, I can hear voices in my mind as if something was calling to me but when I looked to find the owners of the voices, I end up not hearing a single thing until I turn my back on them.

I definitely don't deny their existence; in short, yes.

No. But the human brain is pretty good at playing tricks on people. That being said, it's not completely impossible that there exist beings that are invisible/undetectable to us that would be what we call ghosts. But the idea that they are the spirits of the dead coming back to haunt the living is just silly.

But still don't think that's the case. If you've ever had sleep paralysis or taken hallucinatory/dissociative drugs or even just been sleep deprived for extended periods of time, you'd understand how easily the brain can be tricked into believing in paranormal and that kind of stuff and how convincing hallucinations can be. The human brain is amazing, but it's not failproof. In the end, It's possible to see, hear or feel things without an external stimuli. I believe that's how a lot of the "paranormal" stories such as, but not limited to, ghost stories, alien abduction stories and (please don't kill me) spiritual experiences come to be.

So yeah, I'm not excluding the possibility of something similar to how ghosts are typically portrayed actually existing, but I think that most of it just boil down to the brain imagining things. It's easy to see/hear things that aren't there when you're already freaked out.

Maybe ghosts are made of antimatter, which is why they can go through matter and such??  :blink:

/notreallybeingserious

Well, if they are made of anti-matter, then once they come in contact with matter, then there will be a shockwave and then once 1 gram of antimatter reaches 1 gram of matter, then 10,000 pounds of force would be released, which is not the case...so I think ghosts only exist in our minds.

Of course.I think they are real, and they have their own motives to stay in the mortal plane. I haven't had any experiences myself, but mom and dad claim to have seen them or at least feel their presence.Plus,remember our bodies are matter.. and matter only transforms, so maybe our bodies become something different after death...

Yes, I've seen and heard one before. I was also petted by that same ghost.

Two others have also pulled pranks on me before. 

They're pretty much just like invisible people but they seem to be able to travel through walls. 

• 2 months later...

I've always believed in ghosts, myself

And I've had a few experiences that I'd have to chock up to something supernatural

The most profound being a time when I was in my old apartment

I was laying in bed, talking on the phone, but had left my computer on

After awhile, the monitor went to sleep

As I continued talking, I saw the mouse move and the monitor turned back on

Later on, I checked out the scene to see if maybe something had knocked into the mouse to reactivate the monitor

but there was nothing by it  :unsure:

Edited by FatalRain

Not one bit. There is absolutely no credible evidence of ghosts, and the idea of ghosts make no sense whatsoever. Why would a dead person float around in a room for hundreds of years "haunting" people? How are you able to see them? What's causing them? Its a ridiculous thought

There is no strong evidence to suggest the existence of ghosts. Consciousness as we know it comes from electrical impulses firing off in the brain, allowing us to perceive ourselves and the world around us. Creatures existing and "living" without any physical form is not scientifically possible.

• Brohoof 1

No. Ghost stories are made up by people who want attention or money, or they're just stupid. 

You know I deleted my first answer to you but here I am again!  There are many people on this forum who have different opinions but refrain from judging motives or slinging insults. 

The fact that you don't believe is part of why diversity is welcome and interesting. If we were all alike in this world it would be pretty boring.

But when a statement goes from opinion to judgement- well that's kind of what we don't want people doing to us as Bronys or Pegasisters isn't it?  I think we are all pretty much in agreement that we wish people would not judge us. 

Now to answer this post as it was asked,

I think it there are definitely spirits / ghosts on this earth- some watching over us and unfortunately some who have not accepted death and are "stuck" as it were and can't seem to move on or don't want to move on until something in their former life is resolved.  

Well, I voted no, but I'm open. The reason why I chose no is because "Spirit/ghost" is such a fague term.

I will tell what I do believe.. I believe in creatures who are simply far more evolved than us humans. Creatures who, if we were able to perceive them, we would discribe as spirits or gods. Yet, on the other hand, I believe these creatures aren't aware of us or, they are aware of us just like we are aware of creatures like bacteria.

So yeah, according to my theorie, they do both good and bad to humans, but you have no idea what effect it has on our lives. They just might want to cure a "disease" or they might want to bolster some productivity in their own "Biology".

Gonna let you guys in a little secret....yet, its not crazy or anything.  Some people can do this...but, I see some.  However, I mostly smell them (the incense they had or there favorite perfume.  Don't ask how I know that) and I hear them.  Now it may sound crazy, but I thought the same thing too but i learned to just let it go. 

I do not believe in ghosts, there's absolutely no (reliable) evidence of their existence. People can tell me their experiences with ghosts, but I regard memory to be about as reliable as a Soviet space station (that is, just barely functional out of sheer luck).

Edited by Toaster Bot