Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

School Bans Rainbow Dash Backpack for Bullied Kid

Simon

Looks like nobody has posted a thread on this one yet, so I thought I would.  A kid was being bullied for having a rainbow dash backpack, so of course the school's solution was to tell the kid he wasn't allowed to bring it anymore.  

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/03/kid-bullied-for-rainbow-dash-backpack.html

Schools like this really make me sick... you don't solve problems by forcing kids into accepting being bullied.  It's the bullies that should be punished, not the kid.  Ugh... anyway what are everybody else's thoughts?

• Brohoof 18

So what they're basically saying is that it's the kids fault for having a Rainbow Dash backpack and bringing this on himself, rather than blaming the actual bullies themselves. Right. That makes sense. :mellow:

Edited by Frostgage
  • Brohoof 24

Someone should start a petition about this online or something.

If I can make one petitioning a state representative from Maine to make me a Men's Lingerie Model, this is definitely warranting one.

I can see it now...

It shall be called "Fuck you, assholes." :D

• Brohoof 19

Oh yeah it makes tons of sense... I think that logic could solve so many of the world's problems... it's not the murderer's fault for killing people, it's the stupid victim's fault for being in front of the bullet... if only we could get people to stop standing in front of bullets and having things worth stealing there would be no crime...

• Brohoof 17

I really hate to write this but 'Murica. Its fucked up how they make the victim suffer even more. THE FUCK USA, land of the fcking free indeed, where you cant wear what you want. 

Lets not punish the bullies... good logic

Edited by SveciaDash
  • Brohoof 4

Come on if he wants to bring it bring it the bullies need to deal with it if he says nothing the bullies will get bored and stuff it should of not banned the bag I deal with bringing a My little pony (pink to be exact) bottle to school I may be a girl but a tomboy so it seems to get people teasing but hey i just let them do what they may just with 3 simple word bronies gonna bro and 3 more haters gonna hate if that don't work well just think nothing of it honestly why ban it 0-0

• Brohoof 1

This happens too often in school: the kid gets bullied and gets blamed for the bullying. Still, it doesn't become any less disgusting, and this is no exception. School administration decisions like these do nothing except force him to push his passion for Friendship Is Magic into the closet (something he apparently doesn't want to do, which should be commended) and validate the bullying.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 15

Someone should start a petition about this online or something.

If I can make one petitioning a state representative from Maine to make me a Men's Lingerie Model, this is definitely warranting one.

I can see it now...

It shall be called "Fuck you, assholes." :D

I fully concur with Ghostie's post.   The kid has the right to wear, use whatever he wants.  If he wants to wear a Rainbow Dash backpack, that's his choice.  Now that the school banned it, that's like breaking one of the amendments.  Someone should definitely start a petition. 

• Brohoof 3

I love this mom... in the video she said that saying a backpack is a trigger for bullying is like saying a short skirt is a trigger for rape... I really love that analogy.

I really wish more parents would take a stand for their child when a school does something stupid like this... school districts are giant bureaucratic disasters and nothing gets fixed unless the parents complain, and complain loudly.

But gosh... this was in North Carolina just like Michael Morones... what the heck is going on in schools over there?

• Brohoof 8

I'm glad most schools aren't like this. I'd love to see how this school tackles other bullying issues.

'Child Who was Bullied for Having an Opinion, Told to Leave his Brain at Home'

It's institutions like this that make bullying such a problem now. When someone can get punished for enjoying something, and then get punished again by the people who are supposed to be doing something about it, all it does is perpetuate the problem. If a kid gets bullied for having an MLP backpack, and he's forced to leave it at home, what happens? Do the kids who bullied him just magically forget that he still owns the backpack and leave him alone?

Edited by Fire_Fly
  • Brohoof 6

Another mom at the school should speak up:

"Excuse me, but my child gets made fun of because of her ethnicity. I'm sorry it's causing a disruption. Should she leave her skin at home?"

• Brohoof 7

What I find interesting about Grayson's and Michael's situation is the fact that both kids are in the "targeted" demographic that FIM is geared towards. 

It's strange that the worst we, as adult fans, have to deal with is media scrutiny/teasing by them. Teen fans overall seem to be able to hold their own pretty well despite High School and Middle School being horrible for bullying.

However, Elementary school kids are really left out of the bullying scene when it comes to any fans of FIM. They seem to take the worst punishments and have the worst reactions when it comes to how their peers and adults view their love for this show. 

Sadly schools do not help for the most part. Bullying is still a bad problem and it's only going to get worse.  It actually has been proven that bullying has gotten worse in the past 10 years, and who knows how much it's going to get before people actually wake up and actually address this ever growing problem.

The way the school has handled Grayson is further proof that the school system does not care about their students. I guarantee there is nothing in their school dress code that Grayson disobeyed by bringing that backpack, he was the victim. Going after Grayson for defying a social norm just emphasizes that the public education system is an institution that has little tolerance for individuality and personal talents and traits. 

• Brohoof 6

I love this mom... in the video she said that saying a backpack is a trigger for bullying is like saying a short skirt is a trigger for rape... I really love that analogy.

I really wish more parents would take a stand for their child when a school does something stupid like this... school districts are giant bureaucratic disasters and nothing gets fixed unless the parents complain, and complain loudly.

But gosh... this was in North Carolina just like Michael Morones... what the heck is going on in schools over there?

It's sad, but true. Somehow, it's just how things work now: People do the bare minimum, as opposed to actually trying to solve the problem, and they get away with it until enough people care enough to make noise about it. The fact that this is still happening consistently says there's not enough noise being made.

The sad thing is that the school is trying to say that this was a short term solution and they're working on the problem, but what they don't understand is that they just made the situation worse... what happens when he goes to school without the bag now?  The bullies find out that by bullying him, they got the school to force him to leave something he loves home.  They empowered the bullies and gave them a tool to harass him even more... 

But I guess to realize that, a school would have to think ahead before making a completely reactionary decision.  

I just wonder how many times the school has done this in the past before someone finally called them out on it...

• Brohoof 3

WHAT?! They think that the solution to a case of bullying is to punish THE VICTIM?! So they're basically saying "F*** you kid, we're not gonna help you! We're not gonna punish the bullies or anything like that because it takes too much effort! NOW ACCEPT BEING BULLIED!".

First, we had the asshole teacher who recorded an autistic kid who was stuck in a chair, now we have teachers who don't give two flying fucks about bullying. What kind of fucked up world do we live in?!

My reaction to the genius who decided to do this to that poor kid

post-18648-0-92158000-1394646576_thumb.jpg

This would be like saying "This black kid is being bullied for his skin colour! Let's not punish the bullies, instead we make shall that kid get plastic surgery to change his skin to white!". Yeah, I know, this isn't a good analogy, but you get the point

Edited by Master of Antics
  • Brohoof 7

And this is why I'm so glad one of my cousin's is getting out of elementary soon. They just don't think the kids have enough brains to bully each other.

Ahahahah. No.

The worst bullying I've ever had to suffer was in elementary school.

I agree with a petition. Down with idiotic rules that cater bullies!

• Brohoof 1

Ugh, this is stupidity at its finest.....

Someone should right a big letter telling them everything they just derped  and send it to them with a My Little Pony stamp and a anonymous address.

Also include this picture

post-24604-0-09728700-1394648127.jpg

Edited by TheChosenPony
  • Brohoof 2

People handle bullies in the worst possible way.

Hey school, you punish the bullies for the bullying, not the kid who's only "crime" is bringing a backpack of a character he likes to school

For some reason I could see my old high school doing the exact same thing as this school, thank goodness I graduated.

About 4 or 5 teachers from my high school were bullies and I disliked them greatly.