1. 1. What kind of phone do you have?

• iOS
    • Android
    • Blackberry
    • Nokia
    • HTC
    • Windows
    • Other

First of all, jailbreaking is highly illegal and in the USA you could be fined $500,000 and/ or 5 years in prison. Every game that you can get on IOS devices you can get on android, either from the play store or converter. Second of all, Samsung's technology out dates apple's. Apple now are trying to sew everyone for no good reason, they also think they have invented everything. And finally, all products which you have bought from the apple app store/ iTunes store are property of apples and can be removed at any time. Also a lot of apples features are Google related.

So to conclude, unless apple step up their game they will nether beat android.          

Unlocking is illegal, not jailbreaking (common misconception since this rule was introduced). This you can blame on the cell carries in the US since they do not want you do be able to take your phone to whatever carrier you like. There are also different laws for tablets than phones. I'd have to look up specifics again but if you want to know more/the truth y'all can Google it.

• Brohoof 1

you might wanna try something more "modern" the xperia arc s is pretty old, i'd suggest you take a look at the Samsung galaxy S4 or the Sony Xperia Z/ZL/ZR or another quad core

I've played around with my sister's Galaxy S3, but I didn't like it as much as my iPhone, and I'm too in love with my iPhone to switch back...

Android 100%. I hate Apple's philosophy of not letting you do stuff. I had an imac at work and could not do nearly as much as with my PC. I like how I can browse my files on Android, swap memory cards, change the battery! I HATE itunes. It's like Android copied Apple but actually lets you do stuff.

• Brohoof 1

Also, just to be clear - these screenshots were taken from a non-rooted phone. Not every Android phone has the multi-window functionality, and some Android devices may not support the launchers I've shown (Lightning Launcher, SF Launcher, and Launcher Pro), but you don't need to root an Android phone to make it flexible or do cool stuff.

hmm i've heard about launchers but I dont really like them since they seriously slow down your phone BTW love the equestria wallpaper :3   

hmm i've heard about launchers but I dont really like them since they seriously slow down your phone BTW love the equestria wallpaper :3   

Not really. I'm sure there are a few launchers that may negatively impact performance/battery life, but most of the ones I've tried have had no negative performance impacts at all. In fact, my phone seemed to run faster with a few of them.

Keep in mind, all Android phones run a launcher, as that's what provides the homescreen. It's just a matter of using the default one that comes with your phone (Samsung phones come with the "TouchWiz Launcher", HTC phones come with "Sense", etc), or a third party one from the Play Store.

Not really. I'm sure there are a few launchers that may negatively impact performance/battery life, but most of the ones I've tried have had no negative performance impacts at all. In fact, my phone seemed to run faster with a few of them.   Keep in mind, all Android phones run a launcher, as that's what provides the homescreen. It's just a matter of using the default one that comes with your phone (Samsung phones come with the "TouchWiz Launcher", HTC phones come with "Sense", etc), or a third party one from the Play Store.

idk which launcher was for my original ROM but i'm currently using trebuchet which isin't bad at all i mean Nova was one of the options that my rom would let me choose but it seems that trebuchet is "lighter"

I'd like to give an unbiased opinion but my family pretty much runs on apple and I've never owned an Android product. So yeah, I've had a look at what the interface looks like from friends phones and I have no intention to covert. It's just a shame Apple is losing sales.

All hail the Apple master race!

• Brohoof 1

Android becuase well you could so much with it,but my only problem is it doesn't much love its all ioS.By that I mean all apps for companies go automatically to the iPhone and it takes months for the Android version to come out and its either glitchy or bugged. Also,to be honest,Siri is annoying and I hate it. How do I know? The people who I live with both have iPhones,so yeah.

In terms of mobile phone and tablet Apple all the way :)!

I have a Ipad and an Iphone and love both and have never had any issues, both run great and I use them loads :)! I am heavily invested now in to Itunes in terms of movies, which does tie me down to apply a little but atm im OK with that!

A few years ago anything else then apple I would have said was rubbish, but android has caught up alot recently, and while I think they are behind in terms of tablets with phones they are just as good if not better in many ways :)!

As for computers, microsoft all the way :x!

Android becuase well you could so much with it,but my only problem is it doesn't much love its all ioS.By that I mean all apps for companies go automatically to the iPhone and it takes months for the Android version to come out and its either glitchy or bugged. Also,to be honest,Siri is annoying and I hate it. How do I know? The people who I live with both have iPhones,so yeah.

Siri can be quite good at times though :P, its getting better and better to the point where I know friends who use it alot for things :)! It's also quite funny sometimes :P!

First of all, jailbreaking is highly illegal and in the USA you could be fined $500,000 and/ or 5 years in prison.
 No, it's not. Jailbreaking is legal and lawmakers respect this (but apparently not the Librarian of Congress), it's just that Apple doesn't like it.
  • Brohoof 1

I've owned both an iPhone and a few Android devices (currently a horrendously cheap one.)

They both suck. Really bad.

If you're looking for a good mobile platform, IMO, webOS kicks the crap out of anything out there. It is however, tragically now a bit of a dead platform. I still love my Palm Pixi to death, despite the near complete lack of apps/support.

But, I've been messing around a bit with BlackBerry 10 and I must say, it's leaps and bounds ahead of anything Apple or Google has come out with; now they just need people to jump (back) on board to give them a run for their money.

Unlocking is illegal, not jailbreaking (common misconception since this rule was introduced). This you can blame on the cell carries in the US since they do not want you do be able to take your phone to whatever carrier you like. There are also different laws for tablets than phones. I'd have to look up specifics again but if you want to know more/the truth y'all can Google it.

Meh, I'm British so that might explain it. I don't really understand most of their rules like if you pirate two things you apparently get the same penalty as a terrorist. And if I am correct jailbreaking is illegal here in the UK, you don't get a crazy fine like in America but it is still illegal.   

As someone with both(my Ipod is a second gen Ipod Touch and my Phone is a Galaxy Axiom), I'd have have to say Android is worlds better. Not only foes it run far better than iOS, but it's completely unlocked right out of the box where you can install anything you want on it via downloading .apk files and running them. 

With Apple you have to Jailbreak the damn thing to even change your wallpaper. It's really damn absurd. As one person on Youtube put it: Apple treats it's users like little kids that will hurt themselves is they don't control everything they do. Google treats Android users like responsible adults who can take care of themselves.   

Meh, I'm British so that might explain it. I don't really understand most of their rules like if you pirate two things you apparently get the same penalty as a terrorist. And if I am correct jailbreaking is illegal here in the UK, you don't get a crazy fine like in America but it is still illegal.   

Jail breaking actually isn't. In fact, the people working at the Apple genius bar have been known to do it for you(I know someone who did it that way) My guess is that Apple Employees hate their job and like pissing the bosses off. 

Edited by Shoboni

First of all, jailbreaking is highly illegal and in the USA you could be fined $500,000 and/ or 5 years in prison.       

Since when is jailbreaking illegal? I only heard of it being illegal for tablets or if you're still under contract with a carrier and trying to switch with the same phone.

And you can't run the same apps through a converter as far as I know.

Edited by -Nobody-

Android is best phone operating system. Custom roms, free apps, rooting, the sky's the limit. I'd never switch to an iphone or windows phone.

By the way you forgot the 2 other major operating systems; blackberry and windows phone 7.

Edited by Guest

Screw both (though I'm on a GSII right now). I'm just waiting for this to hit the stores:

Jolla_Aloe.jpg

This runs Sailfish OS, which essentially picks up from where Nokia left off with Meego (before Elop practically destroyed the business >_> ).

ahem. Option #3, Windows Phone. And I'm 99% sure I speak for Daring too (unless I missed his reply earlier)

Unlike Android, its fragmentation is limited down to just two versions. Both those versions had a very responsive and fluid UI. Basically, it works like this: Even on a single-core processor, WP tries to ensure it's never locking up your UI. The handler for "Connect to Wifi" says "Okay, I'll connect to this wifi point, and let you know when it's on. You can do whatever." On some badly-implemented Android apps, it's a little more likely to freeze up the whole screen until it's done.

Also, it tends to be a little more focused on isolating and restricting apps than Android (which anyone can code for). As a result, you're not likely to see VPN or compiling software, but the apps you get are less likely to contain some sort of malware.

Oh, and unlike most Windows laptops and even Android phones, it's pretty easy to completely remove any crap that the manufacturer installed on it. My phone was made by HTC, but you'd pretty much have to dive into System Information to be able to tell.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I know this has come up before, but very rarely with a POLL!

Popular brands are split up, the rest are divided into the respective operating systems. This should make for a decent balance of results, so let the voting commence!

EDIT: Just realised I posted in the wrong sub-forum. Can a mod please move it to Media Discussion? Thanks.

EDIT 2: Just realised I'd bypassed Blackberry completely! If you are a Blackberry user who voted 'Other' before this message appeared, you are free to change it to the new option if desired.

Edited by Paspie
Moving to technology section of Media Discussion

i use a samsung galaxy SII

i installed a jeboo kernel root, and right now it's running MIUI. i overclocked it's 1.2 Ghz processor up to about 1.8-2.0 ghz, making it a pretty fast machine.

i love android :3

i also have a sony experia X10i.

this was my first phone to ever mod the software, and right now it runs windows phone 7.(it used to run android tough)

i don't really use this one tough, just sometimes to try some new stuff in ODIN.

Edited by repsol rave

Where's the "I don't own a cell phone" option? Nope, no joke. I've never owned one. I have a landline for phone calls, a computer for Internet, and a TV to watch TV. 

What would I need a phone for?

• Brohoof 2

I use BlackBerry 9790. I really don't enjoy those big smartphones like xPeria Z or Samsung Galaxy S III. On the other hand I have some bad memories connected with iPhone. It kept crashing all the time and generally I did not enjoy using it. I use phone mostly for calling and listening to music, so I really don't need much. I wouldn't even have this phone, but there was nothing older to get at my home :P