1. 1. What kind of phone do you have?

• iOS
    • Android
    • Blackberry
    • Nokia
    • HTC
    • Windows
    • Other

I'm an Android user. I was never big on ithingys. Androids are a lot easier for me to use and seems more user friendly. I've seen too many people have issues with the iPhone. 

Oh! I have a LG Optimus S.

Android. Customization is great, you can change the look of your phone easily without rooting your phone. Home screen and locker replacements are a matter of downloading an app.

I hate iOS, I have had problems with it ever since I got my iPhone 4S about a year ago.

Siri works whenever she feels like it, it's like she's going on strike because I'm not paying her. Oh what's that? Your hands aren't free, and you still need to use the phone? DON'T WORRY! If you can hold the Home button for 3 seconds, YOU CAN USE SIRI! What good does that do me? If I can press the home button, I can press the screen. I don't need Siri then. Yes, you can get a mod from Cydia if you jailbreak that allows you to access Siri with a Keyword, but Jailbreaking gets harder and harder as time passes.

I also hate how whenever I turn my phone on, it asks me for my voicemail password. I ENTERED IT 3 MINS AGO! STOP ASKING ME!

Also, why can't I have folders in folders, or have more than 16 apps per folder? That's so stupid. Why? I can fix this with a Jailbreak, but I shouldn't have to. That's such a silly thing to not have on the phone.

iTunes. I freaken HATE iTunes! It's so stupid, because it does whatever it feels like. It syncs every single song when I try to add a single song. Just copy the song to my phone, you don't NEED to copy all 110 of them, THE CLOCK IS TICKING! HURRY UP, I'M LATE FOR SCHOOL! AGAIN! Yes, after playing around with it long enough, I can figure out how to bypass the automatic syncing bullshit, but guess what? THEY KEEP CHANGING THE LOOK OF ITUNES! IT'S JUST LIKE YOUTUBE! Now I get to spend another 20 mins trying to figure out how to bypass the sync crap. I don't have time for that. I have things to do, places to be.

Also, the iOS glitches constantly. I find myself hard resetting it on a daily basis. It's kind of a big deal when your boss was trying to contact you, BUT YOU COULDN'T ANSWER BECAUSE YOUR PHONE WAS RESETTING! Oh dear, LOOKS LIKE I GOT MYSELF INTO ANOTHER BIND. The Alarm clock also has the habit to say: "You know what? I don't feel like waking up today, I'm just gonna call in sick. (Pun intended)" Guess what? I wake up 6 HOURS LATE FOR SCHOOL. Now I have to use one of my sick days because I don't; I'm truant.

So yeah, I'm definitely switching to an Android once I get out of this damn contract. 2 months to go.

Edited by UrdiePie

Android, it has an overall better ram and system comparing it to IOS. IOS burns out and slows down over time, and android keeps going year round. I'm a proud owner of a galaxy nexus and it has been doing good. My Ipod however...Smh

and with the money you save, you can buy a house..

Edited by HorseandRaisins

• 7 months later...

Android is for more advanced users(please correct me if I am wrong), and Apple is straightforward with their products, and more user friendly.

iOS 7.0 is a big advantage though, being more original than Android, so I am leaning more toward the Apple side, than Android.

Trust me, I love Android, but Apple is more simple to use.

For me, Android cuts to the chase. My Samsung Galaxy Mini has everything one would need in a smartphone, minus the tiny and unnecessary additions that crank the price up. It's effective and simple to use, and my preferred option over the iPhone.

Of course, I'm nowhere near a phone elitist - I won't shun anybody if they use an iPhone. I mean, iPhones are definitely good little phones - I'd just opt for Android in any given situation.

• Brohoof 2

As someone who uses a Kindle Fire HD...I definitely going with Android on this one.

It has a better set-up, it's designed nicely, and I just prefer it a lot more than any Apple device. 

• Brohoof 1

I perfer the "freedom" of android.

I don't like apple as much, but hey it is tech without different opinions we would run around with stiks. (and probably smell bad as well)

Though i love that i can choose between more phones with android.

Edited by a crazy pony
  • Brohoof 1

iOS 7.0 is a big advantage though, being more original than Android, so I am leaning more toward the Apple side, than Android.

iOS 7 looks like a copy of Android and Windows Phone.

Speaking of Windows Phone, that's what I have and I plan on sticking with it unless Microsoft shuts it down for some reason, in which case I'll probably just go to Android or whatever.

Edited by Daring
  • Brohoof 1

I want both of them to lose! Apple is as closed off and as restrictive as possible and Google is the least trustworthy tech company I can think of. I swear that my next phone is going to have Firefox OS on it... their app store couldn't be much worse than blackberry anyway :P

But okay, let's talk about my current experience using an Android device. I have been mostly happy with it because it doesn't impede me from doing any advanced stuff I want to do. I can hook it up to my computer and browse the file system without needing to download anything, the settings are all nicely organized and visible, it's pretty good for the type of user I am.

However, I can't see myself ever using an iPhone. Firstly, I wouldn't download iTunes to my computer, even if I could get it working on Linux under wine. My other problem is with iOS, being user friendly is one thing, but I feel it's just too simplistic in a bad way. Certain features (like force quit) are hidden with the intent to make the device idiot proof. That is very discouraging for someone like myself.

Android and iOS are basically the same when it comes to difficulty level, I'm not buying that iOS is easier anymore. I've seen and used both, the only thing I can say is that android is less of a frustrating experience for a more advanced user. What this means for the mainstream market? I don't know.

Edited by Celtore

I prefer Android phones over Apple, because you can do so much more without having to jailbreak (or root, as it's called on an android) your phone. And Apple seem to make worse and worse products after Steve Jobs died...

• Brohoof 1

I have both, technically. I own an IPod Classic, and so as not to worry about ITunes I use CopyTrans.

But my phone runs Android, and I am very happy with it. Did you know that Android is based on Linux? I love Linux.

I'm not a fan of either Apple or Microsoft, I only use the IPod because it was a birthday present and it has a 160GB storage capacity.

I feel it's just too simplistic in a bad way. Certain features (like force quit) are hidden with the intent to make the device idiot proof. That is very discouraging for someone like myself.

EXACTLY.

It's somehow addressed to "idiots" (i'm not saying who eve uses it is an idiot). But it' just too simple. I mean i can give it to my grandma and she can navigate the whole thing. Android is more "malleable".At least you have a back and a menu/setting button...+ u can clear the whole ram in one click, any-who it has wayy more rams than Apple i mean 2Gb is pretty good(mostly the recent phone) specially that the new apps are more cpu intensive and "heavier". Sometimes my iPod 5th gen freezes because it just can't take it anymore+ all the Gapps(gmail,g-drive,g-docs,etc...) are less restricted than the whole Apple account thing(example:u have to put a password every single time yo update and download apps, and in case you download an app on iTunes, you need to sync your phone to have it installed) Android: u can shop from any PC no need for iTunes(btw that thing slows down the PCs really bad)u just launch the browser sign into gmail and go the play store...

Edited by rayray

Android, for the time I actually used a cellphone. I really liked android. no where near as restrictive as Apple. and Android is on so many devices....it just makes sense to have Android as an OS. I've also owned a couple Android tablets.

With apple, well...you're stuck with using their hardware...and paying a lot for it. For what you could get in an Android device for less.

Also with Android you have actual menu buttons and Widgets...and you can manipulate the screens how ever you want. I love widgets on my mobile devices. Saves clicking on a tiny little icon and waiting for the app to load. Apple doesn't have that.

the ONLY thing I use from Apple is an iPod, because IMO that's something they've done right. I currently have a Gen2 nano and a gen 2 iTouch...

I also hate how Apple doesn't have micro SD card lots to expand memory. Which is how Apple can charge more money for  a larger capacity phone/iDevice...Which is another thing I LOVE about Android stuff...the ability to swap SD cards. Makes transferring media so much easier via memory card vs plugging in the device.

This is also why I still have my old RCA Lyra MP3 player, it's got an expandable SD card slot.....though it's very limited in organizing music and you can't make playlists or anything on it. Which is what I like about my iPods.

TL;DR

iPod/Apple for music

Android for everything else

• Brohoof 1

Did you know that Android is based on Linux? I love Linux.

The key to ultimate,easy,simple tweaking. I rooted my xperia ion and it's pretty awesome. I'm running Paranoid Android 3+ which is actually better than the base ROM(OS).

I also hate how Apple doesn't have micro SD card lots to expand memory.

EXACTLY(also:P)  The highest amount of internal storage that Apple offers is 64 Gbs but you have to pay a lot for that.

Android: Maximum internal memory is 32Gb + a maximum expansion of a 64Gb micro SD =96Gbs of storage!!+in case you want to change your phone, you just move all your stuff on the SD card and insert it in a new one BAM all your data is there 

• Brohoof 1

I voted Apple and Android (shouldn't that be iOS and Android?) since I could and I have both an iPhone 4S and a Galaxy Note 2. The 4S is purely my iPod (though TBH lately I've been using my Zune 80 again because I am so sick of how bad iTunes is, I use an app on the 4S anyways that mimics the Zune UI so...). I like stuff about both systems but I prefer Android after using it for the past year. There was a time iOS was vastly supirior, then Google introduced Project Butter to Android and it became a whole new OS compared to past iterations.

Both phones are unlocked and "rooted" so I can basically install whatever I want on them, but I like the freedom of Android and being able to hook it up to my PC and not be restricted to a special program that I have to do everything through. I also hate the severe limitation imposed on iOS, especially simple things like how many apps you can place in a folder and such. I honestly prefer Samsung's UI over iOS as well. iOS 7 doesn't really change things up enough if you ask me, looks like the same ol thing just with different colors and flat looking icons (from what I've seen anyways, won't be upgrading my 4S to it since I want to remain jailbroken if I even keep the thing much longer). An SD slot is also a must for me. My 4S is a 64gb one and I have it full from just music, and it's not even close to being all my music. There are wireless usb sticks now that could allow storage expanse with an Apple product, but I prefer just being able to pop a card into the phone. Especially since they are smaller, don't require charging, and you could carry like 16 of them in a case the size of the usb stick.

The only real gripe I have with Android isn't really about Android at all, it's about app developers. They focus on iOS first and foremost, and some apps either take months to come to Android, are super buggy/laggy when they finally do (Gameloft MLP I'm looking at you since you're still laggy compared to iOS version even on my OP Note 2), or just plain and simply don't show up on Android. Really wish they could force users to upgrade to the newest version so developers wouldn't have to cater to older OS's and hinder app stability/performance. But it could be worse I suppose... WP8 with very few top apps making it or not showing up until a year later or so.

I could go on but I won't. All I'll say in closing is that after owning the Note 2 for the past year, there is no way I could use an iPhone until the screen gets much bigger. My 4S feels way too small and painful to hold onto (great for a pocket-able media player but not a phone), and when I was comparing the Note 2 to the iPhone 5 last year that was my biggest complaint and why I ultimately passed up the 5. Plus playing games like MLP is awesome with the large screen, not even the little bit of added height on the 5 could compare. And no, I don't have any issues sticking the Note 2 in my pocket...

Edited by Puddlejumper

I've had both and it's no contest. Apple iOS is my preference.

You can pretty much do the same on both devices if you jailbreak, but the games are lacking on Android.

But at least Android isn't WP8. :P

• Brohoof 1

I prefer Apple. I've heard the age old argument that Apple products are for the less technologically savvy, and all that, but as a tech enthusiast and as someone who knows what he's talking about, I still prefer Apple. 

Don't get me wrong, I had an Android based phone previously (Xperia Arc S), and I absolutely despised it, and after switching to an iPhone, I'm happy. I love the design, the OS, and just everything. 

I had an Android based phone previously (Xperia Arc S), and I absolutely despised it

you might wanna try something more "modern" the xperia arc s is pretty old, i'd suggest you take a look at the Samsung galaxy S4 or the Sony Xperia Z/ZL/ZR or another quad core

I've had both and it's no contest. Apple iOS is my preference.

You can pretty much do the same on both devices if you jailbreak, but the games are lacking on Android.

But at least Android isn't WP8. :P

First of all, jailbreaking is highly illegal and in the USA you could be fined $500,000 and/ or 5 years in prison. Every game that you can get on IOS devices you can get on android, either from the play store or converter. Second of all, Samsung's technology out dates apple's. Apple now are trying to sew everyone for no good reason, they also think they have invented everything. And finally, all products which you have bought from the apple app store/ iTunes store are property of apples and can be removed at any time. Also a lot of apples features are Google related.

So to conclude, unless apple step up their game they will nether beat android.          

Both. I own a Galaxy S3 for personal use, and I have an iPhone 4 issued to me from my job.

I much prefer the GS3 though, as Android is a very flexible OS, that's fully customizable, and much less restive on what you can use for it.

First off, Android allows more user freedom. For example, I use Hotmail/Live/Outlook/Whatever it's called this week as my main email, and with Android, I can see the Outlook application to be the default program for handling email links in my web browser. Much like if I get an email with a link in it, I can set Chrome to be the default browser, or something else. With iOS, the stock programs are the default, so even if I have Chrome installed, any time an app needs to open a webpage, it'll open in Safari instead.

Next, there's the matter of customization. With iOS, you have a homescreen, with icons, and that's about it. With Android, you can add widgets, replace icons, only show your favorite apps on the homescreen (While putting the rest in the app drawer), etc. In fact, if you don't like the UI at all, you can replace it. You're not stuck with the default launcher/home screen, but can change it however you want. For example, here's a few screenshots of how my phone looks/used to look:

post-1147-0-89533500-1378589627_thumb.png post-1147-0-12516800-1378589623_thumb.png post-1147-0-08678700-1378589620_thumb.png

(Left one is my current setup)

Finally, there is multitasking. iOS cannot multitask really well, if what it does do can even be considered multitasking. On iOS, you basically can have on app running at a time, and most apps are not able to run in the background, or have only limited background capabilities. Android easily allows apps to run in the background if they need to, and some builds (such as the one on the GS3) even allow you to run two apps side-by-side. For example, if you want to check the latest MLP news, but don't want to interrupt the episode of "Witchcraft" that you're watching, you can do that:

post-1147-0-25136200-1378590213_thumb.png

Granted, iOS does have the benefit of being very easy to use and user-friendly. Despite how much it tries, I do not believe that Android is an overly user-friendly operating system for beginners/first time smartphone users, and can even be somewhat intimidating with how many options there are and all the features available. However, once accustomed to it, Android is an extremely powerful opperating system that runs circles around iOS in terms of functionality and usability.

Also, just to be clear - these screenshots were taken from a non-rooted phone. Not every Android phone has the multi-window functionality, and some Android devices may not support the launchers I've shown (Lightning Launcher, SF Launcher, and Launcher Pro), but you don't need to root an Android phone to make it flexible or do cool stuff.

• Brohoof 1