Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you have an easy time making friends?

FatalRain

• 6 months later...
(edited)

It's hard I mean especially irl when u dun see much people. At work I guess there are people but everyone feels much older and most of the time busy working lol ofc but that is probably the place I see the most people. And these days it's all work at home now. So basically I don't see anyone other than my parents. And I guess it's online but idk it feels harder to interact and that. 

It was easyish at university (postgrad not undergrad cuz they sucked) where there were many people except while I made a lot of friends I also pretty much lost them instantly. Like oof. As well as feeling betrayed by someone I put so much energy into. Some people are clearly not worth it. Maybe if I went to some kinda group or something Id make more frens but idk. 

Edited by flurry

No, it's not easy for me. In real life, it's easier to talk to people and most people I speak to do like me or are friendly. Living in a smaller village, I don't have many options to meet people in general. Maybe things would be different otherwise. :coco:

Online is very hard, though, because it lacks most things real life has to offer. I can't see the eyes while writing. I can't see how they react and all the subtle signals. It makes understanding harder. Also, most people vanish after some time in my experience and I eventually do the same, when no one is remaining. Many online people aren't interested and stop talking. I respect that of course. :) But in general...yeah, online is extremely difficult and most relationships aren't forever. I met my best friend online and we couldn't be more happy, so it is definitely possible~ Just needs a bit of luck and always remaining active, no matter how hard it is. :)

• Brohoof 2

12 minutes ago, Adorable Lovestar said:

I like to think I make new friends easily enough, but I also worry about keeping up with them all, sometimes. I keep friends until we aren't friends anymore.

You gained a friend very quickly just now.

I would like to see you make a Welcome post in Welcome Plaza section though? Just to know you a little better?

Yes, but I have a hard time keeping them. Most of my relationships fade away because I tend to disappear for long periods of time. My mind wanders off, and I must go and find it. So, only a small group of friends remain. And to be honest. It is always them talking to me. Because, otherwise I wouldn't call them on my own. They know me very well. That I am a little different from most people, and still accept me as I am. They don't expect anything from me. The same way I don't expect anything from them. And still they know I will be always there for them if they need my help.

It's easier for me to make friends online in settings like the forums here than it is for me to make friends in real life. In real life I've pretty much always been a social outcast, growing up I literally only had one friend, all throughout Elementary and Middle school. When I moved to a different state and started High School, I had no friends because now my one and only friend that I had was six hours away. High School was pretty lonely for me and I never really made any friends during my time there. :sunny:

Being online though, and especially on websites like the forums here where we all share one common interest- ponies- has helped me to make several new friends that I didn't have before! Being a part of this community in general has helped me to connect with other ponies, which is good because maintaining some level of social interaction is important. I don't think it would have been very great for my mental health to not have any close by irl friends and at the same time not have any online friends either. :worry: I don't know what I would do without you guys :wub:  

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, I have this weird paranoia that I'm too annoying if I start convo or meet people first. So every friend in my life is my friend only because he were willing to know me better

• Brohoof 1

Not really, I normally don't talk to people much.  If I could get away with it, I'd probably be a hermit in some sort of deep forest with my only contact with the outside world is my internet and also a once in a while stall I'd have at a local farmer's market where I sell produce or maybe a check-up with a doctor???  Besides that, no one knows who I am.  I'd be like the Grinch except I'd steal Halloween :ph3ar:

Nope, I just kinda have to hope they come to me. I’ve been very fortunate, especially since one of my best friends loves to invite themselves over. You may think that’s a conceited thing to do, but to someone who gets nervous about asking to hang out, I think it’s great! :yay:

• Brohoof 1

I was horrible at it before. I used to be the person no one really talked to. But I’ve broken it down to a science and had success with it ever since. Basically if you can laugh along with something that someone’s saying, like a joke you overheard. That’ll stick with them, they’ll remember that you in particular liked that joke, and then you just work your way to joking around back with them. Then it goes further to hanging out then friend groups then more friends in those groups that they introduce you to.

thank you for listening to my TED Talk

Edited by Petrus

I have a more difficult time right now since I am spending all my time on my projects. I barley keep up with my current friends. It's a trade off. I would rather find time to work and progress in life that waste my time on Youtube, and sadly, by doing that I also stay far away from friends :worry:

• 5 months later...

It depeeeeends. If I’m at lets say a book club, then I’m going to have a high chance of meeting someone who I’ve got stuff in common with. Which makes it easy to make a friend. if I’m out at a random spot,starting a new college class or at someone’s party it can be hard, unless the other person is a very outgoing people person. I gotta see the situation and the people. Get a feel for everyone’s personalities. It can be easy or hard for me. It all just depends. 

In the workplace? No. Heavily guarded at work. I don’t trust anybody. Got burned way too many times. People try to get close to me, up goes the wall.

• Brohoof 2

19 hours ago, Blitzo said:

It depeeeeends. If I’m at lets say a book club, then I’m going to have a high chance of meeting someone who I’ve got stuff in common with. Which makes it easy to make a friend. if I’m out at a random spot,starting a new college class or at someone’s party it can be hard, unless the other person is a very outgoing people person. I gotta see the situation and the people. Get a feel for everyone’s personalities. It can be easy or hard for me. It all just depends. 

In the workplace? No. Heavily guarded at work. I don’t trust anybody. Got burned way too many times. People try to get close to me, up goes the wall.

I’m pretty much the same way. I try and approach people I don’t normally talk to now and then but for the most part it feels awkward.

• Brohoof 2

Nah, I'm terrible at reading people (I think I've even lost a few friends because I did something bad and didn't realize it:huh:)

Plus my severe anxiety. I can kinda keep up with existing friends or when people talk to me first (this way I'm sure that they're interested in talking to me). But I've almost never started a conversation first, I have a strong feeling that I'll annoy the person or fuck up in some way, the fear is too much to overpower. I had a lot of moments when I met an interesting person with similar interests but just couldn't talk to them

Yes and no. It is not difficult for me to carry a conversation and be talkative.. which makes it pretty easy to introduce myself and get to know people. However, I usually do not interact with people I do not know unless I either have to or if there is some sort of social event that requires you to talk such as.. playing board games or similar. So to answer the question, I am not making many friends because I am not really trying to. If I did, I doubt I would have any problems. I am very good at creating new relationships but I am horrible at maintaining them.