S04:E18 - Maud Pie  

351 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I thought it was a good episode overall, but that's because I get really excited about any new character being introduced. Especially if they're related to the mane six! It was pretty painful watching the girls struggle to get a reaction out of Maud, but that was just bound to happen anyway.
It was so sweet to hear Maud's outright love for Pinkie, that was the best part!! :wub:
Also thought it was kinda silly how Maud decimated that boulder but it was super cool nonetheless!

• 1 year later...

I loved this Episode ! This is one of the few Episodes i watched both in english and german audio, in english i only thought that the Episode was good, but with the german Audio, i loved this Episode! In the german Version, she has at least a tiny bit emotion in her voice and while i get, that her more normal voice from the original audio fits her more, i thought she was originally a bit to boring.

In this Version i found Maud Pie to be charming and funny and i like her character more than before. Just sad that we didnt really saw much from Pinkies other 2 Sisters, except for that one Flashback. I think we should have known the other earlier introduced characters more, before introducing a new one.

• 5 months later...

I do like the ending here, and I think this does a pretty good job of conveying how two very different personalities could simply be incompatible, but I don't find Maud's quirks very funny. Watching the mane six struggle to get along with her is mostly just awkward, and laughing at Maud's behaviour feels condescending at times. Plus, on one or two occasions, it simply doesn't seem they're communicating properly. The example which stands out the most is Maud smashing the apples with rocks, which is completely inexplicable, but many other scenes cut right when Maud does something unusual, so we don't see how much she and the mane six attempted to appreciate each other's interests. Mostly, I just get the sense that Pinkie should have been a bit more cognizant of how Maud and the mane six might misunderstand each other, and thus done more to serve as a mediator. Despite that, I do think the moral more or less works; the problem, again, is that I don't find this especially funny, even though the ending is adorable and Pinkie Pie is as enjoyable to watch as ever. Maud would improve significantly over the next two seasons, but this episode's too focused on the fact that she's different to really let the audience understand her. At the very least, her increased social skills in future episodes give this one the same sort of warm nostalgia that early season references to the mane six's goals do, so at least that's nice. 

Score:
Entertainment: 4/10
Characters: 6/10
Themes: 8/10

Story: 6/10
Overall: 60/100

Really not sure why I used to dislike this episode. My first two times watching it, I just found it to be boring, not really getting it. However, my third time watching it a year and a half later, I found it to be much more enjoyable. I think what broke my shell and finally got me into it was realizing that the episode's message is not, "Maud is God and you are wrong if you do not bow down to her.", even if that message wouldn't be entirely farfetched. :P The message is that introverted people who show little interest in things outside of what they're used to are understandably not going to be able to click well with others, but it's up to true friends to look at what's on the inside and not give up on people like that just for being different. It has its flaws, such as Pinkie's constant shouting growing redundant and a slightly rushed conclusion, but it more than makes up for those flaws with mostly good storytelling and some hilarious moments. I will never forget the brilliance of, "It tastes like apples.", and, "I threw it.". Though I generally find the newer episodes with Maud Pie more entertaining, I now look back on this episode and see it as a good introduction to Maud's character. :nom:

• Hugs 1

• 1 month later...

This could've just been a simply entertaining episode, and while it is still very entertaining, what makes this episode amazing is the connection between Maud and Pinkie. It's the first time we've seen Maud so it doesn't feel like we've already done this which is a problem "The Gift of the Maud Pie" has. It's a great character introduction and a fantastic episode.

Score: 9/10

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about this episode. During the intro to Maude, we see her sniff a rock and identify it. Later on, we see her sniff one of Rarity's diamonds that fell into the muffin basket then eat it as if it was a muffin saying " Its crunchy". So we know she can ID a rock based on scent. So that leaves two options. She was messing with the Mane six and no one caught it. OR she could not smell the rock over the muffin which I doubt. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2018 at 9:27 PM, AlexanderThrond said:

The example which stands out the most is Maud smashing the apples with rocks, which is completely inexplicable

That scene really stood out as a need to give Applejack a reason to dislike her. Overall, I enjoyed the episode, but that was just random.

Maud having her pet rock on her the entire time they were looking is kind of hilarious. I mean, it probably wasn’t against the rules. That is something my friends and I have done when playing the Hot or Cold game.

• 2 months later...

I actually found this episode to be hilarious. I don't know why, but her seemingly not showing enthusiasm and the mane 6 not knowing what to do was so funny! Maud was so boring that she was actually funny somehow.:laugh:

Edited by qwerE

• 3 months later...

I love the awkward humor here. Maud and the mane six have such opposite personalities that all of their interactions are hilarious. The timing is especially great here with a lot of pauses to push the awkwardness even further. The moral is decent too, though I don't think the mane six should apologize for not getting along with someone.

The only other thing holding this episode back is, surprise surprise, Pinkie. She is so screechy and loud and it's incredibly annoying. 

Score: 8/10

• 1 year later...

"I don't really like candy. But I do love Pinkie Pie."

Maud's last line saved what was for me a dull episode. But it had some nice moments, like the scary-looking-but-friendly-spider who offered Maud a flower. Or that fact that of course rock-farmer Maud knows all about rocks, the same way I'll bet Applejack knows everything about apples. 

• 4 months later...

I loved this episode because it was about one of my favorite ponies, Maud. I love the way Maud contrasts to the other ponies in the show and her demeanor is the exact opposite of Pinkie Pie's. She is an oddly comforting pony for me, although Pinkie in general is annoying to me so she kinda ruined some moments in this episode. I don't understand the hate against Maud Pie, personally. Maud isn't a boring character, you are taking her too literally.

She is an adorable and sweet pony. "His name is Boulder" - Maud Pie

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...

I love this episode, and I really like Maud :mlp_maud: She's a honest and unique character and she's perfect to contrast her pink sister :) I also think she's a sweat heart: "I don't really like candy. But I do love Pinkie Pie."  :adorkable: I especially enjoyed the humor in this episode, even if I have to admit it's most likely not eveypony's cup of tea.

• Brohoof 1

Cute episode. Maud Pie is a really interesting character and I really love that she really care about Pinkie. While her dry humor can be a bit hit and miss, but she does give a chuckle. The best moment of the episode for me is when Pinkie got stuck between the rocks, Maud runs up and jackhammered the rock and saved Pinke. That part made my jaw dropped and I was like 'Wow! Holy crap. Maud is very cool!'

Plus, it ends on sweet note that Maud didn't care about rocks, but she loves Pinkie with a smile. That was adorable.

I can see why Maud became the fan favorite Pie Sister and I'm glad that she was able to become a recurring character throughout the rest of the series.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Has been over a year since I have watched this episode. It is my favorite episode in season 4, for sure, because it involves one of my favorite ponies - Maud. I really enjoy the lesson and how everyone can't be friends. Maud cares a lot about Pinkie and saved her life.

• Hugs 1

It's the grand showing of the famous (or infamous) Maud Pie, Pinkie's total opposite. I think at first I wasn't a big fan of Maud, her demeanor and the way she talked and acted seemed very boring to me (and yes I know it was by design when they created the character). I think with time I warmed up to Maud more in relation to Pinkie Pie than to her actual character. I love seeing these two interact, how Pinkie only sees great thing in her sister, and even notices things no one else can, and how Maud loves her sister crazy energy even though she can't partake in it the same way everybody else does.

I think this episode is another great characterization of Pinkie, where she tries to make her friend like her sister as much as she does. But that's not how you cultivate friendship between the people you love, but of course Pinkie doesn't see it until the end. Everyone really tries their hardest to cater and to befriend Maud, even though it's a hard thing to do. But in the end, it's everyone relation to Pinkie that helps them connect, and Pinkie is all the more relieved. Of course, it wouldn't be a Pinkie Pie episode without some crazy antics, and boy do we see that she's an extreme extrovert. She just radiates energy throughtout the episode, and it's always a joy to watch.

I really think this is one of the best Pinkie Pie episode, even if it's not named after her. 8.5/10, love it !