S04:E18 - Maud Pie  

351 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I'd have to say, this was a very rock solid episode. (Get it? Hahaha...sorry...) I liked the comparison between the hyperactive Pinkie and her more...oh what word best describes her, um...less enthusiastic sister Maud. I also like the unintentional aesop of, while they ended up becoming somewhat friends by the end of it, Maud understood that just because they're Pinkie's friends doesn't mean they have to be her friends as well, she's happy enough knowing Pinkie has a great group of ponies she can be with.

Although, Maud's monotone personality had the negative effect of sucking some of the mirth out of scenes and replacing it with awkwardness. Sometimes it worked, other times it just dragged on a touch too much like how she thought to use a rock to "peel" an apple. Thing is though, I like Maud as a character so I'm willing to ignore it for the most part.     

Maud reminds me of Sonata, an original character from the fan-made crossover between Ace Attorney and MLP:FiM called Turnabout Storm.

Especially when they smiled in the end!

I found nothing interesting at all in the entire episode. About as boring as the rock farm.

I'm sorry to hear (er... read) that. =(

Personally I thought it had some of the best humor out of the entire show.

Edited by Envy

God, Maud Pie makes Gummy look hyperactive.

Someone mentioned this in a chat: What would Maud be like Discorded? Would she be super enthusiastic and ecstatic like Pinkie Pie, or would it be like inverting the color gray and simply getting another very similar shade of gray?

• Brohoof 4

I came up with Maud's pick up line, "Is that a rock in your pocket, because I have one in mine... his name is Boulder..." Maud you sly fox you, stop being perfect.

• Brohoof 2

I just wanted to add that I think that Maud not only killed it in this episode, she straight up... Maudered it.

Okay it's official, Maud puns are better than rock puns. ^_^

vyKzHuz.jpg

I found nothing interesting at all in the entire episode. About as boring as the rock farm.

Good Celestia, this episode was boring.

Well, either you like Maud's personality or you don't I guess. :mellow:

Rarity = inb4 ghostie Maud = inb4 anti

Both can also be inb4 Radiance. :comeatus:

Seriously, I think Maud might be one of my top 5 favorite ponies now. :o

• Brohoof 11

@Kip the Dip,

Discord: Let's find out! *Pokes Maud's head and "Discords" her*

Maud: *Smiles calmly* .........I suddenly feel more uplifted today.

Discord: ...That's all?! Oh, for Celestia's sake!

Edited by Anti-Villain
  • Brohoof 6

I saw the Hub's Pi Day picture with pinkie and Maud and immediately hoped Tara strong would be doing her voice something like Raven from Teen Titans. The voice and character ended up similar to what I guessed but I don't think it was Tara. (EDIT: Maud was voiced by Ingrid Nilson)

I thought it was a good episode. I knew she was going to be the opposite of Pinkie (of course). I thought her type of personality interacting with the others was great. I really like how Applejack didn't seem comfortable letting Maud use a knife.

Another bit that I thought was funny was when Maud's pet rock Boulder ate a sandwich. I didn't catch it until I watched it the second time.

Pinkie's mane deflating made me wonder how the episode was going to end- Maud sure wasn't giving any clues.

Overall I like how this was a "different" episode. I also love drier/smart-ass type humor and characters like Maud in shows for some reason.

Edited by steve88

Well, either you like Maud's personality or you don't I guess. :mellow:

I felt that more depth was called for.  All we know about her is that she's into rocks, is incredibly dull, and loves Pinkie.  There were plenty of opportunities to establish more about her personality without taking away from the larger theme of the episode.

But that's just me.

• Brohoof 2

I felt that more depth was called for.  All we know about her is that she's into rocks, is incredibly dull, and loves Pinkie.  There were plenty of opportunities to establish more about her personality without taking away from the larger theme of the episode. But that's just me.

I guess, but what I saw was a character who knew who she was. She was also clearly meant to be a sort of polar opposite to Pinkie Pie, which I think they pulled off getting across as well as they could. Their is certainly an air of mystery to her yet though, which might be bothersome for some but I like that, gives her more room to come back sometime I think. :)

That was pretty awesome, and a great lesson that you don't have to act the same as someone else to be friends with them. Pinkie and Maud contrast eachother so much throughout the episode, and yet they're totally comfortable with the other acting that way :) So the entire problem was the other 5 thinking Maud wouldn't like them being their usual energetic selves around her.

And I can totally respect Maud's singular focus on rocks. I have quite a few areas of interest, but still treat them somewhat similarly.

Various points I particularly liked:

-"It's a dress. It doesn't talk."

-"It's crunchy." I totally saw that one coming when Rarity's hat lost a rock into the basket :lol:

-Maud's epic rock throw. Didn't see that coming!

-"I'm not really into winning." That is an excellent personality trait to have, because winning implies that others have to lose.

-"It's about rocks. They're all about rocks. I've written thousands."

-Rocktorate in rockology :lol: At least I think that's what Pinkie said.

-Maud definitely deserves that degree after demonstrating such knowledge of rocks to be able to pulverize a boulder with her bare hooves in seconds.

One thing I don't like is the exclusion of Spike. I think he would have gotten along with Maud right away, both by his perceptiveness to see that she really was having a good time, as well as their common interest in eating rocks. I guess it would have eliminated the conflict to some extent, but still, he's just... not there, even when they're in the library. And never got to eat any of the rock candy :(

I was also a little disappointed that we never got to see Maud's cutie mark. I was hoping it would be something profound and significant to the story revealed at the end, but I guess it's probably just a rock.

And I kind of wish Maud would have shown off more varieties of rock, to actually get kids interested in geology :) Plus would have been a good chance to add some Equestrian lore, finding rocks in the side of a cliff and explaining what they say about the land's history. Err, show. Because rocks don't talk.

I'm totally making a Maud plushie.

• Brohoof 5

This episode was awesome. From the very beginning, it seemed like a season 1 or 2 episode; original and unaware of its fanbase. Good just because it is, not because of fan-pandering. It was really fun how un-fun Maud was.

The resolution bugged me, though... Their connection is that they all love Pinkie Pie? Really?! I still loved the episode, though. I really liked how Twilight talked about how good of friends the mane 6 already are. And it wasn't just talk, you could tell from how they acted in the episode. Previously in this season the mane 6 have felt kinda... Disconnected. Like they just show up in the same show because people like them. So that was nice.

Maud is creepily obsessed with rocks...

Overall, I'd say... 8/10 Really fun, but not jam-packed with epicness like some episodes.

• Brohoof 2

... Well... this episode was definitely something.

Something I really liked.

It was a good episode.

Yay.

... Okay, Maud impression over.

I freaking LOVED this episode.

This episode in particular holds a moral I'm really able to find myself understanding. There's more than one social life to a person, but we often feel a heavy desire to have them intertwine. Pinkie wanted this so very badly. And I understand it entirely. I've felt this way before too. I've tried it, and interestingly enough, it didn't exactly work out.

Fact is, one friend of a person isn't exactly compatible with another, often moreso the case with a person's relatives. I love one of my friends with all my being but his brother's a bully. <<;

It's all just based on how well the people can talk, and sometimes closing the gap between two sides isn't easy, and this episode portrayed that amazingly. They tried to make friends with Maud, they really did. And I really, truly love that.

Some may complain that Maud was fairly bland, but that was the point. Maud never went through the exciting life-changing event that made Pinkie so happy. She grew up on the Rock farm; she became bland. Like a rock. But she's still a good soul, even if she is a simple, soft-spoken one. I loved how they pulled her off.

And Pinkie kept desperately trying to befriend both sides despite the differences. I can understand that. I really, truly can. I've been in that position before. It's not fun to see a friend not getting along with a different set of friends. But, of course, differences are still there, and can't be denied.

Good moral, good characters, good story... Overall, this was an enjoyable episode, through and through. Easy 9.5/10.

Or... I guess you could say this episode really...

ROCKED

*stoned to death*

• Brohoof 4

Maud reminds me of Sonata, an original character from the fan-made crossover between Ace Attorney and MLP:FiM called Turnabout Storm.

Or Lana Skye, from the first game. Neither of them crack a single smile until they can love their energetic younger sister again. Actually, it's eerily similar!