Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can you play the piano?

Sholem Itzhak

I’ve been playing piano for about 8 years now, and the last 3 of them were quite ambitous. I am trying to become the best pianist I can be. I mean to make my salary off it later. I’m quite young now, but I really want to fulfil this dream.

Even though we don’t use ABRSM grades in Holland, my teacher thinks I should be around grade 8 by the end of spring, so you could say I am close to grade 8 right now (which is awesome!).

Jazz… Composing is still very hard for me, but improvisation is starting to become something really natural. Music theory is something that interests me more than any school subject.

To anyone struggling to decide if he/she should play piano or not… All you need is a few lessons, and you can play whenever you want, however you want. It’s really easy to become good if you are inspired. And if that is not what you are going for, you will almost always enjoy yourself when playing piano, even if you aren’t really making progress. Don’t let stupid exercises scare you away, because they are there for a reason :3 Once you see the progress you’ve made, you will be very statisfied.

The dream:

http://grooveshark.com/#!/playlist/Something+Awesome+With+Jazzy+Tunes/96221791

http://www.ram.ac.uk/departments?departmentid=40

• Brohoof 1

I used to b/c I wanted to be like famous composer, Martin O'Donnell and write music.   I stopped though b/c my laziness and stress was getting to me, :(

I hoping I go back to it, so I can write up some music for my future MLP: Fan Film.

No, but I have a friend(pegasister I think) that plays the piano and she's so good.. Like whenever I see her play I'm mentally asking myself why I said to my parents I didn't want to play piano as a kid.

• Brohoof 1

I...kinda do, a little bit.

In middle school, I took bad, and I played in percussion.

Which is like...30 different instruments like the xylophone, bass drum, maracas, all that good stuff.

But when learning to play the xylophone, you learn the same keys that are on a piano.

So, I know the keys. ^^"

But, I can play a little bit of chopsticks, then basic stuff like:

"Mary Had A Little Lamb"

"Oh When The Saints"

"Twinkle Twinkle Little Star"

Stuff like that. ^^"

Nothing big and epic though! ^^"

• Brohoof 1

Not quite. I've been playing a little bit of piano when I'm in a practice room and can play some very basic things. If its the right technique, I'm not so sure.

• 4 years later...

I would love to play the piano but it's beyond my skill set. I have an old keyboard I used to mess with but I never got anywhere with it.

On 1/19/2019 at 12:51 PM, Venomous said:

I cannot play the piano but I would love to learn how. That, and the violin.

I tried violin too, but that's the hardest instrument in the world; not only do you have to learn all the right notes, you have to make them sound good, which is much harder than hitting a key on a piano to create a clean sound. Mine always sounded like someone strangling a cat.

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 1

Yes, but not very well. I have very little talent in anything, piano included. Would love to be able to play it worth a damn and create music that people could listen to and be inspired by or feel some kind of positive emotion from, but I don't think it is meant to be for me.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

Never mention that accursed word around me.

It reminds me of the dread Class Piano classes that I felt like I barely got through. And it also reminds me of the fact that I haven't kept up my piano since graduating a year ago and...I need to do that...like really bad. If I have to take class piano again (which I've had to do twice now, since there was such a large gap in time since the first time I took it and continuing my education), I will cry.