Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A quick survey

SciencePony

Hello everypony!

TL;DR: Please rate the importance of the following aspects of the show to you as an interval in the range from 0 to 1, with 0 being completely unimportant, 1 being most important:

• The characters
  • The art style and animation
  • The plot
  • The music
  • The voice talent
  • Inside jokes and references to pop culture
  • Nods to the fan base
  • The all-­ages appeal

Examples: 0.3 to 0.6, 0 - 1, 0.8±0.2

The intervals are entirely independenent and are allowed to overlap, do not have to add up to anything, etc. Thanks!

Rationale: I'm researching how representative a variety of survey methodologies is. I've seen these questions asked in the 2013 and 2014 "Brony Herd Census" surveys via "Arrange the items in the order of importance" methodology. The problem with that approach is that many people are not certain about the importance of specific aspects, but the methodology cannot account for that. So I'm asking this via a more advanced interval-based methodology so you can specify the degree of certaincy as well (In this survey e.g. "0.8±0.1" would mean you're fairly certain that the importance of certain aspect is around 0.8 and "0 to 1" would mean that you have absolutely no idea) and see how the results compare.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by SciencePony
  • Brohoof 1

The characters 1

The art style and animation 0.8

The plot 0.6

The music 0.6

The voice talent 0.8

Inside jokes and references to pop culture 0.3

Nods to the fan base 0.1

The all-­ages appeal 0.9

Right, that's my take on it. Hope I did it right.

Edited by Little Black Dress
  • Brohoof 1

Right, that's my take on it. Hope I did it right.

Thanks!

Actually I'm looking for intervals like, say, 0.8±0.2, but things like 0.8 are 0.8±0 and that's also a result! Although, I'll have to rethink one of the two data crunching methods I coded to account for zero error margins...

The characters: 1

The art style and animation: 0.9

The plot: 1

The music: 0.4

The voice talent:0.7

Inside jokes and references to pop culture: 0.2

Nods to the fan base: 0.3

The all-­ages appeal: 0.8

• The characters: 1

The art style and animation: 1

The plot: 1

The music: 1

The voice talent: 1

Inside jokes and references to pop culture: 0.3

Nods to the fan base: 0.5

The all-­ages appeal: 0.8

• The characters 1
  • The art style and animation 1
  • The plot 1
  • The music 0.9
  • The voice talent 1
  • Inside jokes and references to pop culture 0.5
  • Nods to the fan base 0.2
  • The all-­ages appeal 0.7

That's how I look at it.

• The characters: 1.0
  • The art style and animation: 0.8
  • The plot: 0.9
  • The music: 0.7
  • The voice talent: 0.8
  • Inside jokes and references to pop culture: 0.2
  • Nods to the fan base: 0.3
  • The all-­ages appeal: 0.7

Normally I would have voice acting and art/animation lower, but they're just so amazing in FiM. :)

The characters 1

The art style and animation 1

The plot .8

The music .5

The voice talent .9

Inside jokes and references to pop culture .4

Nods to the fan base .7

The all-ages appeal 1

The music can be annoying a lot of the time IMO. There are certain songs (like the mane theme) that you can only listen to for so many times. The .5 is for sweetie belle's singing. :)

Edited by Judgement

• The characters 1

The art style and animation 1

The plot 1

The music 1

The voice talent 1

Inside jokes and references to pop culture .5

Nods to the fan base 0

The all-­ages appeal .7

• The characters 0.8 (can be story driven)

The art style and animation 0.5 (It's gotta be fairly eye-candy, but by far not a breaker)

The plot 0.7 (characters more important, but needs a story)

The music 0.9 (seriously, movies/series is about feelings. What other media expresses feelings better than music?)

The voice talent 0.6 (unless it's terrible it's often enough for me)

Inside jokes and references to pop culture 0 (I have never understood why people like this, but it doesn't bother me though, if kept toned down)

Nods to the fan base 0.2 (generally don't care much, but then there is Derpy)

The all-­ages appeal (I can't answer this because I don't believe quality is dependent on age, all ages should enjoy quality)

I haven't put any 1's because nothing drives the show that much alone.

Only exception is Music which I put at 0.9.

I still listen to the songs from Pinkie Pride and re-live the emotions I had from the episode. So music can almost stand alone for storytelling for me.

It didn't get a 1 because I'm binding the music together with the story and characters from the episode.

-The Characters. 1

-The art style, and animation. 1

-The plot. 1

-The Music. 0.8

-The voice talent. 1

-Inside jokes and references to pop culture. 0.8

-Nods to the fan base. 0.7

-The all-ages appeal 1.0

The show needs to focus mostly on the things that capture the audience, no matter the age or what they find appealing. If the art style is as best as it can be, with the voices, characters and plot up to the same standards, the show will thus remain, being great entertainment. The music, references and pop culture jokes, I would still like them to be rather frequent and up to date because it gives the show a little color and doesn't make it seem like the animators and writers are just doing a job. :squee:

I think I put too much effort into this, I'm gonna go play some dark souls.  :derp:

The characters 1.0

Characters are super important, they're what make the show in the first place. Even if you have a great concept, it's nothing with the right characters.

The art style and animation 0.7

Animation and art style are important, bad quality makes it hard to enjoy the show, just like bad quality in music won't make it sound nice. It doesn't have to be the absolute best, but it isn't something to overlook.

The plot 0.5

The plot doesn't have to be super complicated, there just needs to happen something. It's no use if the characters didn't do anything, or if there's no development in any way.

The music 0.8

Music sets the scene, it's very important in my eyes.

The voice talent 0.8

Bad voice actors make a show so much worse, just like bad actors in a show chip away at the quality.

Inside jokes and references to pop culture 0.5

They're funny, but they don't have to be in the show, MLP has a lot of simple but clever jokes that don't reference anything outside of the show itself, they're good enough to make a show great. 

Nods to the fanbase 0.1

I don't like nods to the fanbase, winks are cool, nods are not. Keep the fanbase and show seperated, this is one of the major things that can make or break a show, too much catering and it's just fan service, the show needs to stay at its core, and not stray from it too much or too fast.

The all-­ages appeal 0.9

The all-age appeal is what makes this show so great, yes it is focused on the younger audience, but it's still very bearable to watch for the older audiences, in fact, they enjoy it to. Keep it like that, it's what makes the show great in the first place. Don't make it too focused on older audiences and not on younger audiences, it's fine as it is. 

• Brohoof 1

• 7 years later...

On 2014-03-18 at 11:54 AM, SciencePony said:

Hello everypony!

TL;DR: Please rate the importance of the following aspects of the show to you as an interval in the range from 0 to 1, with 0 being completely unimportant, 1 being most important:

• The characters
  • The art style and animation
  • The plot
  • The music
  • The voice talent
  • Inside jokes and references to pop culture
  • Nods to the fan base
  • The all-­ages appeal

Examples: 0.3 to 0.6, 0 - 1, 0.8±0.2

The intervals are entirely independenent and are allowed to overlap, do not have to add up to anything, etc. Thanks!

Rationale: I'm researching how representative a variety of survey methodologies is. I've seen these questions asked in the 2013 and 2014 "Brony Herd Census" surveys via "Arrange the items in the order of importance" methodology. The problem with that approach is that many people are not certain about the importance of specific aspects, but the methodology cannot account for that. So I'm asking this via a more advanced interval-based methodology so you can specify the degree of certaincy as well (In this survey e.g. "0.8±0.1" would mean you're fairly certain that the importance of certain aspect is around 0.8 and "0 to 1" would mean that you have absolutely no idea) and see how the results compare.

Thanks in advance!

I'll give all of the aspects you gave a rating of 1.