Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you know about Greece?

IridscentNionios

I've been meaning to make a thread like this for a long time. I've been searching this forum for a long time and have yet to find a single greek person other than me dwelling here. I'm starting to believe that there is none... hell from what i know from talking around with people there is none that knows even remotely what the situation in Greece is like.

So i am going to make a simple... yet very hard question. 

How much do you really know about Greece?

I realize this might seem like a very general question but it's a start from which other questions can come from. Like... what do you think about the Greeks, the current situation of Greece e.t.c.

If there is something you always wanted to ask, or an impression you always had upon Greece please feel free to mention it here. However know that if it is false i will not hesitate to correct it... always keeping my cool and kindness on.

Warning:Political issues, history, economy may be discussed here. Just sayin...

I don't know much about Greece, but I do know when it came to fighting the Greeks were not very hesitant when fighting the Romans in their old battles on the home front. That's the only thing that I know about Greece.

Well they have interesting mythology and invented democracy 

It's just a shame politics wise Greece is loosing it's democracy thanks to the EU because now it's under foreign control, and that far right is on the rise, so Greece is getting into deep shizzle

But aside from those two thing I don't know much else about Greece

Edited by Asherdangerdash

@@Judgement,Aaah well if you want to know i am a greek mythology geek. Hell i've even though of headcanon involving more greek inspired goodness about Queen Chrysalis! YAY!

@@Scootalove, It's sad that they decided too late to unite against them... thing is Greece wasn't a nation at that time. Not in the political term at least... it was just a bunch of city-states. 

• Brohoof 1

@@Scootalove, It's sad that they decided too late to unite against them... thing is Greece wasn't a nation at that time. Not in the political term at least... it was just a bunch of city-states. 

Yeah, too late for that. It could have helped them in a way if they united, but with the heated grudge it really made the unison not happen.

Like Asher said, Greece has excellent mythology.   I, for one, enjoy Greek mythology, alongside Roman, Egyptian, and Chinese mythology.   However, I am not too knowledgeable of Greece itself, yet its history, I know some of it.  Spartans, Trojans, Conflicts against the Persians, etc.

• Brohoof 1

@, It isn't exactly... "losing" it per say. The current democracy we have has nothing to do with the concept and the origins of the Ancient Greek democracy that is called "liberal democracy". What we have right now is... for lack of a better term "representative democracy". Which means that we vote for representatitves that express according to us the democracy we wish to have.

If you really want to know more about the political situation of Greece feel free to PM me and i will tell you in detail.

• Brohoof 1

@@Judgement,Aaah well if you want to know i am a greek mythology geek. Hell i've even though of headcanon involving more greek inspired goodness about Queen Chrysalis! YAY!

Chrysalis, if im not mistaken is linked to Athena.

• Brohoof 1

@@Scootalove, It wasn't exactly the grudge... none really had substantial "grudges" against the other. The thing that was stopping them was pride.

Here's what i mean... Spartans while the best warriors ever in Greece had one problem... they wanted to either lead, or not participate in military campaigns at all. They didn't even participate on The Great Alexander's expendition against the Persians... yet they're being idolized by the tons of movies existing about them right now... especially with 300. 

• Brohoof 2

@@Scootalove, It wasn't exactly the grudge... none really had substantial "grudges" against the other. The thing that was stopping them was pride.

Here's what i mean... Spartans while the best warriors ever in Greece had one problem... they wanted to either lead, or not participate in military campaigns at all. They didn't even participate on The Great Alexander's expendition against the Persians... yet they're being idolized by the tons of movies existing about them right now... especially with 300. 

Hmm, I understand. Pride leads to a lot of things.

I think there were considered the best warriors in the Ancient World.  That's because of there training at such a young age. 

@, Excuse me? Oh no... i wouldn't say that at all. The one connected perhaps with Athena is Twilight.

Here are two who could be connected with Chrysalis.

Proteus... the shapeshifting god of "Elusive Sea Change". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proteus
Metis... the titaness one of the first spouses of Zeus also a shapeshifter. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metis_(mythology)

• Brohoof 2

I think there were considered the best warriors in the Ancient World.  That's because of there training at such a young age. 

Actually, that and with the strategies that they had prepared before they went into battle.

Well yes of course... but there were mistreatments like you wouldn't believe... of course i am talking about "Ancient" Greece. Military camps replaced school for them really...

• Brohoof 1

@, Excuse me? Oh no... i wouldn't say that at all. The one connected perhaps with Athena is Twilight.

Here are two who could be connected with Chrysalis.

Proteus... the shapeshifting god of "Elusive Sea Change". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proteus

Metis... the titaness one of the first spouses of Zeus also a shapeshifter. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metis_(mythology)

Now that's something new to me, :lol:.   Guess i've been hanging around too much with Roman Mythology.   :)

BTW, I have to ask you this b/c it even stumps me.............In your opinion, why did the Romans have similar Gods to the Greeks?  (I already know about the names like Greek Ares is Roman Mars).

Edited by Promethean Alicorn

Actually, that and with the strategies that they had prepared before they went into battle.

Well to be honest to me the phalanx ain't much different thatn the "Turtle" of the Romans. It's just that the Greek's time had passed... and the old system was decaying. When Greece re-emerged as the Byzantine Empire things were considerably more... united you could say... though the Byzantines had other stuff done wrong.

• Brohoof 1

Well to be honest to me the phalanx ain't much different thatn the "Turtle" of the Romans. It's just that the Greek's time had passed... and the old system was decaying. When Greece re-emerged as the Byzantine Empire things were considerably more... united you could say... though the Byzantines had other stuff done wrong.

Now, I see why the Byzantine Empire fell. It's always good to learn about ancient times.

Now, I see why the Byzantine Empire fell. It's always good to learn about ancient times.

Indeed......I enjoy that type of time period b/c its mythology, history (notable figures, the number of political conspiracies,*yet the Egyptians had the most*, and battles), as well as the origins of Latin.

• Brohoof 1

Now that's something new to me, :lol:.   Guess i've been hanging around too much with Roman Mythology.   :)

BTW, I have to ask you this b/c it even stumps me.............IMO, why did the Romans have similar Gods to the Greeks?  (I already know about the names like Greek Ares is Roman Mars).

Religious and Mythological exchange. Cultural influence and such... you don't expect the Romans to never have known about the Greeks right? Also... at the time of the Byzantine Empire lots of Greeks prefered the tittle "Romios" which is something like "Roman". Why? Because they believed that if they called themselves Greeks they would be associating themselves with the Pagan origins of their nation.

Many Egyptians also prayed to Ra like they did to Zeus. The Great Alexander went himself to one of those Temples to seek answers for the following Questions. 1)Are all my father's enemies/killers dead? 2)Will i conquer Asia? 

There is also the unknown part of Alexander's sister who seeked to turn him into an immortal but ended becoming herself and changing into a mermaid. She is supposed to be swimming around asking sailors "Does King Alexander live?" and if the answer be negative she sinks them in her sorrow. But i am derailing.

What i meant to say is that many gods of different Pantheons could be equated. For example Isis the Egyptian godess of the Moon could also be related to Selene/Selune the greek godess of the moon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selene

However the concept and perspetive of the gods seems to have changed with the exchange of cultures. Polytheism and mixing religions was popular a lot... and in some cases seems to be even now.

• Brohoof 1

Indeed......I enjoy that type of time period b/c its mythology, history (notable figures, the number of political conspiracies,*yet the Egyptians had the most*, and battles), as well as the origins of Latin.

Mythology is really interesting in general.

Isn't Greece bankrupted? 
Erm, I also know a lot about Ancient Greece- like the mythology and such, but modern Greek... nothing much, really.

Actually no... the Byzantine Empire fell because it was corrupted economically from within. First of all... at first there was a whole lot of burying/hiding away the old culture of Greece due to it's "Pagan Nature". However... many did study it and learned from it. The problem was however that the monasteries had a lot of land that wasn't taxed... there were large re-designs of the system before that changed... but the thing is it didn't last long. There was corruption in the military where soldiers could buy off their time at the army... there was also the matter of many nations invading the whole Empire from all sides. You want me to count the amount of enemies they had?

Let's see... Mongols, Turks, Vienise, Franks, Crusaders riding Constantinoupole's temple of St. Sofia out of it's valuables. The Bulgarians, the Persians, The Visigoths, The Goths and whatever else northern tribe like the Slavs... that now claim the Macedonian heritage as their own... :grumpy:

Actually no... the Byzantine Empire fell because it was corrupted economically from within. First of all... at first there was a whole lot of burying/hiding away the old culture of Greece due to it's "Pagan Nature". However... many did study it and learned from it. The problem was however that the monasteries had a lot of land that wasn't taxed... there were large re-designs of the system before that changed... but the thing is it didn't last long. There was corruption in the military where soldiers could buy off their time at the army... there was also the matter of many nations invading the whole Empire from all sides. You want me to count the amount of enemies they had?

Let's see... Mongols, Turks, Vienise, Franks, Crusaders riding Constantinoupole's temple of St. Sofia out of it's valuables. The Bulgarians, the Persians, The Visigoths, The Goths and whatever else northern tribe like the Slavs... that now claim the Macedonian heritage as their own... :grumpy:

I've been a bit rusty on Greek history. Wow, they had a lot of enemies.