Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you know about Greece?

IridscentNionios

Actually no... the Byzantine Empire fell because it was corrupted economically from within. First of all... at first there was a whole lot of burying/hiding away the old culture of Greece due to it's "Pagan Nature". However... many did study it and learned from it. The problem was however that the monasteries had a lot of land that wasn't taxed... there were large re-designs of the system before that changed... but the thing is it didn't last long. There was corruption in the military where soldiers could buy off their time at the army... there was also the matter of many nations invading the whole Empire from all sides. You want me to count the amount of enemies they had?

Let's see... Mongols, Turks, Vienise, Franks, Crusaders riding Constantinoupole's temple of St. Sofia out of it's valuables. The Bulgarians, the Persians, The Visigoths, The Goths and whatever else northern tribe like the Slavs... that now claim the Macedonian heritage as their own... :grumpy:

You know, I gotta say one thing though.........the Northern Tribes as well as the Mongols, from what I read were indeed "tough dogs".  They didn't tolerate shit from no one.  

Religious and Mythological exchange. Cultural influence and such... you don't expect the Romans to never have known about the Greeks right? Also... at the time of the Byzantine Empire lots of Greeks prefered the tittle "Romios" which is something like "Roman". Why? Because they believed that if they called themselves Greeks they would be associating themselves with the Pagan origins of their nation.

Many Egyptians also prayed to Ra like they did to Zeus. The Great Alexander went himself to one of those Temples to seek answers for the following Questions. 1)Are all my father's enemies/killers dead? 2)Will i conquer Asia? 

There is also the unknown part of Alexander's sister who seeked to turn him into an immortal but ended becoming herself and changing into a mermaid. She is supposed to be swimming around asking sailors "Does King Alexander live?" and if the answer be negative she sinks them in her sorrow. But i am derailing.

What i meant to say is that many gods of different Pantheons could be equated. For example Isis the Egyptian godess of the Moon could also be related to Selene/Selune the greek godess of the moon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selene

However the concept and perspetive of the gods seems to have changed with the exchange of cultures. Polytheism and mixing religions was popular a lot... and in some cases seems to be even now.

You must be the first person I know to give me the best answer, :D  

I do have to say though, I had that feel that they were similar.  Even with the Egyptians.

Isn't Greece bankrupted? 

Erm, I also know a lot about Ancient Greece- like the mythology and such, but modern Greek... nothing much, really.

...... wow... i though people thought of us poor... bur Bunkrupt? That's a first one... no we're not bunkrupt. We are however under heavy inspection but the nicest people of all earth... the European comitee. But it's not so much their fault as it is our politicians' faults. 

So no... Greece is not bunkrupt. Greece ain't out of the game yet... but we're quickly becoming the labrat of the rest of the European Zone. You see if the plan they have on us works they're going to apply it to other countries like Spain, Portugal, Italy e.t.c. You think they're going to escape the crisis so easily? You think that they aren't taking such measures if not harder to refrain from being targetted by the comittee? This was a chain reaction... the crisis didn't begin here... the Goldman Shacks (or however it is spelled) bank was simply the excuse to show how ridiculously full of holes the economical and political system was.

• Brohoof 1

I've been a bit rusty on Greek history. Wow, they had a lot of enemies.

Not only the Greeks, but the Romans also had a lot of enemies. 

...... wow... i though people thought of us poor... bur Bunkrupt? That's a first one... no we're not bunkrupt. We are however under heavy inspection but the nicest people of all earth... the European comitee. But it's not so much their fault as it is our politicians' faults. 

So no... Greece is not bunkrupt. Greece ain't out of the game yet... but we're quickly becoming the labrat of the rest of the European Zone. You see if the plan they have on us works they're going to apply it to other countries like Spain, Portugal, Italy e.t.c. You think they're going to escape the crisis so easily? You think that they aren't taking such measures if not harder to refrain from being targetted by the comittee? This was a chain reaction... the crisis didn't begin here... the Goldman Shacks (or however it is spelled) bank was simply the excuse to show how ridiculously full of holes the economical and political system was.

Oh! Okay. I'm very sorry, I hope I didn't offend. It's just that I was overheard from a bunch of History teachers who were gossiping that "Greece is nearing bankruptcy, but Germany is bailing them out.", so I guess I just repeated what I heard.  :blush:

Ah man..........I was in fact, thinking about traveling there to visit the sites, like Athens, Temple of Apollo, etc.  

You know, I gotta say one thing though.........the Northern Tribes as well as the Mongols, from what I read were indeed "tough dogs".  They didn't tolerate shit from no one.  

You must be the first person I know to give me the best answer, :D  

I do have to say though, I had that feel that they were similar.  Even with the Egyptians.

You think the Northern Tribes were tough and harsh? Ever heard of the It was a cruel Turkish tradition/theme. Children were taken away from their parents, their homes, their families and they were raised as Turkish soldiers with the education apropriate to that. 

Such traditions/custom/habits forced many families to dress their children as females giving them female names until they reached the right age where they avoided conscription through this way. It was seriously some hardcore stuff...

I mostly know about myths and art architecture, thanks to art school.

And that we are neighbors since I live in Italy!

Sadly I don't think my country is very far from your country's situation. How are most people coping with everything?

I learned Greek and later Roman mythology and history in 7th grade. XD I know all about Zeus/Jupiter's many sons and daughters and wives, and how Hera was a total b%^$. 

I'm still really interested in that stuff~

PS: Romans were total assholes that wiped out and took the Greek's way of life and basically made all other lives a living hell all across the Mediterranean Sea. 

Edited by IncognitoKiwoy

Oh! Okay. I'm very sorry, I hope I didn't offend. It's just that I was overheard from a bunch of History teachers who were gossiping that "Greece is nearing bankruptcy, but Germany is bailing them out.", so I guess I just repeated what I heard.  :blush:

No i am not offended... i am just surprised. I have heard worse actually... like stuff that Greeks are thieves and shit... What the Germans are doing is offering money to continue the flow of cash which is needed for economy to continue working. But it isn't going to solve much... trust me if the system in it's entirety doesn't change the economical crisis will repeat itself only stronger and worse than before. What we need is a political and economical reconstruction... NOT CASH. In the beggining of the crisis the governement took money from civilians to fund the failing banks... guess that didn't work so well... and that money isn't going to return to the civilians anytime soon. 

Ah man..........I was in fact, thinking about traveling there to visit the sites, like Athens, Temple of Apollo, etc.  

I actually have visited Athens. My birthtown is near Olympia the birthplace of the Olympic games. Look we still work as a country... and we're going to continue to do so... trust me we're not going to be stopped not anytime soon.

• Brohoof 1

You think the Northern Tribes were tough and harsh? Ever heard of the It was a cruel Turkish tradition/theme. Children were taken away from their parents, their homes, their families and they were raised as Turkish soldiers with the education apropriate to that. 

Such traditions/custom/habits forced many families to dress their children as females giving them female names until they reached the right age where they avoided conscription through this way. It was seriously some hardcore stuff...

Whoa........and here I thought the Turkish were like the Mongols.  What were these guys thinking is the only thing that pops in my head, lol.  Yet, when i said northern tribes being tough and harsh, it was that they were mostly referred to as the Barbarians.

Not to go off topic, but if i keep this up, im gonna end up watching Gladiator, :D 

I mostly know about myths and art architecture, thanks to art school.

And that we are neighbors since I live in Italy!

Sadly I don't think my country is very far from your country's situation. How are most people coping with everything?

Doing our best... what we need to do is stand up for ourselves and stop everyone from selling most of Greece's belongings and economy to other nations. Example... Cosco the Chinese company has made deals to take part of Pireus the biggest port of Athens in Greece. They pay less, and hire less... you know what that means right? Besides the fact that we're allowing companies to just freely roam from other countries to our economy. 

No i am not offended... i am just surprised. I have heard worse actually... like stuff that Greeks are thieves and shit... What the Germans are doing is offering money to continue the flow of cash which is needed for economy to continue working. But it isn't going to solve much... trust me if the system in it's entirety doesn't change the economical crisis will repeat itself only stronger and worse than before. What we need is a political and economical reconstruction... NOT CASH. In the beggining of the crisis the governement took money from civilians to fund the failing banks... guess that didn't work so well... and that money isn't going to return to the civilians anytime soon. 

I see! I actually feel a bit more educated, thank you. That is truly awful, and I wish I was able to do something to help. Unfortunately, I am just a single person all the way around the world. I'm hoping now that everything will become better now for your country. 

And I've never heard of anyone calling Greeks thieves. That's disgusting, I apologize on their behalf.

PS: Romans were total assholes that wiped out and took the Greek's way of life and basically made all other lives a living hell all across the Mediterranean Sea. 

Not only that.................................look at the problems with the Middle Eastern countries like Palenstine/Israel, and the Gaza strip.  If im not mistaken, today's issue dates back to exactly the Romans.  They were Conquerors.  Just like the Spanish, French, and the English were during the Renaissance Period.

I forgot to mention, the Romans had formed the biggest Empire in the history of the Ancient world.  Mongols came second and the English came third.

Edited by Promethean Alicorn
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I learned Greek and later Roman mythology and history in 7th grade. XD I know all about Zeus/Jupiter's many sons and daughters and wives, and how Hera was a total b%^$. 

I'm still really interested in that stuff~

Romans like Turks, like everyone that occupied Greece and ultimately FAILED to supress our "Greekness" were good at the beggining until corruption started to take them down from within. In the beggining Christianity wasn't so supressed, the smallfolk weren't so opressed like they were later.

IMPORTANT STUFF:Hey guys! You like Greek godesses and stuff? Check out Genzoman's art gallery! Amazingness!!!

http://genzoman.deviantart.com/art/Nike-goddess-of-victory-120719773 Here we have Nike the godess of Victory the "Winged Godess" fastest flier in all of ancient mythology. She was said to be an embodiment of how fast the news of victory travel. Reminds you a familiar pony? Like i don't know... Rainbow Dash?

And while i am at it... did you know? The city-state that welcomed the victors of the Olympic games tore down part of it's own city's walls to welcome the champion home. They believed gates were too trivial to become obstacles standing in the way of the champion.

I see! I actually feel a bit more educated, thank you. That is truly awful, and I wish I was able to do something to help. Unfortunately, I am just a single person all the way around the world. I'm hoping now that everything will become better now for your country. 

And I've never heard of anyone calling Greeks thieves. That's disgusting, I apologize on their behalf.

What you can do is observe the system around you and question whether or not you want to live in a system that claims to promote "competitiveness" while in truth, as the books i read in school say, "A company must not only try to reach the top of it's sector... but also try to deter others from entering." Honest to god that's what it said... more or less.

Edited by nioniosbbbb
  • Brohoof 2

http://genzoman.deviantart.com/art/Nike-goddess-of-victory-120719773 Here we have Nike the godess of Victory the "Winged Godess" fastest flier in all of ancient mythology. She was said to be an embodiment of how fast the news of victory travel. Reminds you a familiar pony? Like i don't know... Rainbow Dash?

Lol.  For some reason, I had the name Victoria ringing in my head. 

Not only that.................................look at the problems with the Middle Eastern countries like Palenstine/Israel, and the Gaza strip.  If im not mistaken, today's issue dates back to exactly the Romans.  They were Conquerors.  Just like the Spanish, French, and the English were during the Renaissance Period.

I forgot to mention, the Romans had formed the biggest Empire in the history of the Ancient world.  Mongols came second and the English came third.

Actually it wasn't so much of a problem that they were conquerors... as to how they were handling it. Let me explain... In Jesus' times the clerk collecting the taxes collected something extra from the tax-payers for himself, so did the one above him, and the one above him, and the one above him. Do you expect unrest to not exist with such a treatment? It's not the problem that they were conquerors... the problem is that they couldn't handle the land they conquered from a point on... 

Just like the Byzantines later could not. They devised/promoted a system where they gave land to lords near the edges of the Kingdom. "Akrites" they called them... and they had the land for free/low fee with the promise they would protect it. They became heroes to the people one of them is Digenis Akritas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digenes_Akritas

Lol.  For some reason, I had the name Victoria ringing in my head. 

Well they are basically similar... the fact that one is the latin counterpart of the other shouldn't make much difference.

Doing our best... what we need to do is stand up for ourselves and stop everyone from selling most of Greece's belongings and economy to other nations. Example... Cosco the Chinese company has made deals to take part of Pireus the biggest port of Athens in Greece. They pay less, and hire less... you know what that means right? Besides the fact that we're allowing companies to just freely roam from other countries to our economy. 

Sadly I do know what you mean...our country isn't in better shape...we are surely getting there...there might be a chance to change something during the next elections but our country is being sold by the current politicians without asking anything to its population...

It does make me sad to hear about Greece, it must be a truly wonderful country. Surely the E.U. was the worst thing our countries could get into...

Sadly I do know what you mean...our country isn't in better shape...we are surely getting there...there might be a chance to change something during the next elections but our country is being sold by the current politicians without asking anything to its population...

It does make me sad to hear about Greece, it must be a truly wonderful country. Surely the E.U. was the worst thing our countries could get into...

The problem is that the EU was supposed to be a cultural and national union as well. It was supposed to be like a group everyone of us could relate to.

Side note:When the EU expanded the news of it reach even kid's newspaper/article in one of the newspapers i got when i was a kid. ((honeslty i got it mostly for the comics it provided with it. Nom nom nom awesome comics)) Imagine that... propaganda like HELL.

The problem is the EU right now is simply another economical organisation our countries belong to. The Euro might be a stronger currency as it is but it doesn't change the fact that the current nature of the EU NEEDS TO CHANGE.

• Brohoof 1

Actually it wasn't so much of a problem that they were conquerors... as to how they were handling it. Let me explain... In Jesus' times the clerk collecting the taxes collected something extra from the tax-payers for himself, so did the one above him, and the one above him, and the one above him. Do you expect unrest to not exist with such a treatment? It's not the problem that they were conquerors... the problem is that they couldn't handle the land they conquered from a point on... 

Just like the Byzantines later could not. They devised/promoted a system where they gave land to lords near the edges of the Kingdom. "Akrites" they called them... and they had the land for free/low fee with the promise they would protect it. They became heroes to the people one of them is Digenis Akritas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digenes_Akritas

Ah....I see.  That's very interesting, :D

P.S: You know, you should make another thread, with "Which is your favorite God/Goddess in Mythology and Why".  I think many would be really fond of that, since there are a lot of mythological creatures, gods (well...not so much), etc. in MLP.

• Brohoof 1

Olives are grown there and I know a bit about Greek mythology

but that's essentially it

Let's not forget, if im not mistaken.........the Wine. 

(edited)

Sooooo much feta..... In a ll seriousness all I know is greek mythology and some of the history. Thats about it.

TZATZIKI MUDAFUKAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :D Feta as well as Tzatsiki can actually be made in any country. The problem is that Feta is a mostly goat's milk... NOT COW'S. There is a maximum of 30%? I think... 30% maximum of normal cow milk allowed. I think it's because our country supports goat herding more than cows. 

Let's not forget, if im not mistaken.........the Wine. 

Oh yes! My name is Dionysios that comes from the greek god Dionysus god of wine and reverly son of Zeus and Semele. His animal is the dolphin... i LOVE doplhins! XD http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionysus

Edited by nioniosbbbb