Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you know about Greece?

IridscentNionios

TZATZIKI MUDAFUKAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :D Feta as well as Tzatsiki can actually be made in any country. The problem is that Feta is a mostly goat's milk... NOT COW'S. There is a maximum of 30%? I think... 30% maximum of normal cow milk allowed. I think it's because our country supports goat herding more than cows. 

I'm gonna be honest, and not to go off-topic........i love Feta cheese.  That's b/c I have such an obsession with Greek Omelets, :D

I was just thinking about wine but isn't wine made from grapes?

Well duh... the greeks had grapes too. There is actually a tale about donkeys and grapes... don't remember it exactly now but people used to hit donkeys for eating the leaves but they noticed that they were eating the bad leaves and had better crops rates so they honored them and apologized.

I'm gonna be honest, and not to go off-topic........i love Feta cheese.  That's b/c I have such an obsession with Greek Omelets, :D

Greek Omelets? What?

I was just thinking about wine but isn't wine made from grapes?

Yes.....its was grown in Georgia, but was heavily sold in Greece. 

• Brohoof 1

Well duh... the greeks had grapes too. There is actually a tale about donkeys and grapes... don't remember it exactly now but people used to hit donkeys for eating the leaves but they noticed that they were eating the bad leaves and had better crops rates so they honored them and apologized.

Greek Omelets? What?

But grapes are grown almost anywhere...so that's why I don't really associate that with Greece

Greek Omelets? What?

Greek Omelets is what we make over here in the US.   Its mixed with 3 egges, feta cheese, tomatos, and a little bit of green peppers.  Taste delicious, you should try it, :D

But grapes are grown almost anywhere...so that's why I don't really associate that with Greece

False... grapes don't grow in every climate. They grow on vines in moderatly hot to hot climates. If you are in a hot place and there are fields or orchards around you there could be a grape vine.

Ahhh good to know

whenever I think of vineyards, I think of California for some reason though haha

Yeah............btw, i forgot to mention, there is a God of Wine, Dionysus.

False... grapes don't grow in every climate. They grow on vines in moderatly hot to hot climates. If you are in a hot place and there are fields or orchards around you there could be a grape vine

I concur.  Shame though, where I am, I actually wanted to plant grapes, but being in the New England area of the US...........too damn cold, :lol:

Yeah............btw, i forgot to mention, there is a God of Wine, Dionysus.

I concur.  Shame though, where I am, I actually wanted to plant grapes, but being in the New England area of the US...........too damn cold, :lol:

I know this lol

But he's not just the god of wine, he's supposed to be the god of "fun" basically

or as they phrase it, "ecstasy" 

False... grapes don't grow in every climate. They grow on vines in moderatly hot to hot climates. If you are in a hot place and there are fields or orchards around you there could be a grape vine.

I meant because they're grown in the US, and multiple other places

therefore I don't think of Greece with them...but yeah, I get your point

Well I know alot about ancient greek slavery, since I'm studying it an just did a huge fuck off shiny essay on it :P Plus I know a bit about the gods and the religion, but I know nothing abut modern greece :P

Edited by Sassy the Sasquatch

Well I know alot about ancient greek slavery, since I'm studying it an just did a huge fuck off shiny essay on it :P Plus I know a bit about the gods and the religion, but I know nothing abut modern greece :P

You mean the slaves the ancient greeks had?

Greece <3

Greece and Serbia are both Orthodox, and although we've been fighting a bit while the we were empires, we've been in great relations since the 19th century :D They are hospitable, just like us, and thankful. They can be a bit radical at times, but they did help us in the 1995 war in Bosnia :P

I know this about Greece

• It has a lot of awesome mythology. Icarus, the Minotaur, ect. We've actually seen quite a bit of Greek mythology in MLP which I think it freaking awesome.
  • The country is poor at the moment.
  • They fought off Persia with only 300 soldiers. 
  • "We go Together" is their national anthem.
  • For some reason their soldiers say "Tonight we dine in hell." They're Christian? Wouldn't it be "Tonight we dine in Tartarus", or something like that?

(edited)
They fought off Persia with only 300 soldiers.

Wrong the battle of Thermopylae was fought with 1100+ soldiers. Only the Spartans were the 300. There were also 700 Thesprotians that willingly stood beside their spartan brethren and 400 deserters forced to fight. But somehow only the 300 of Sparta were idolized. If the Spartans had retreated they would be disgraced in their countries due to tradition. The others weren't bound by tradition.

For some reason their soldiers say "Tonight we dine in hell." They're Christian? Wouldn't it be "Tonight we dine in Tartarus", or something like that?

That's only in the movies. They believed in Hades and the underworld where Persephone went during winter. Another interesting myth... http://www.mythicarts.com/writing/Persephone.html

"We go Together" is their national anthem.

Wait what now? That's what the national anthem is called in English? Actually i think you might be referring to the popular phrase "Freedom Or Death". 

Fun Fact:The Greek Flag has an equal number of blue lines for each syllable of the greek word "Freedom" and like wise white lines for "Or Death".

As for the national Anthem.

As the description of the video says the national anthem is a poem written by Dionýsios Solomós in 1823 that consists of 158 stanzas and is the longest Hymn in the world, set to music by Nikolaos Mantzaros. In 1865, the first two stanzas officially became the national anthem of Greece and later also that of the Republic of Cyprus. According to the Constitution of the Quintuplet of Cyprus, the Greek national anthem is used in the presence of the Greek Cypriot president (or other Greek Cypriot), and the Turkish national anthem is used in the presence of the Turkish Cypriot vice-president. Cyprus stopped using the Turkish national anthem, however, when Turkish Cypriots broke away from the Government in 1963. Hymn to Liberty was also the Greek Royal Anthem (since 1864).

The hymn was set to music in 1865 by the Corfiot operatic composer Nikolaos Mantzaros, who composed two choral versions, a long one for the whole poem and a short one for the first two stanzas; the latter is the one adopted as the National Anthem of Greece.

I think stanzas are like lyrics lines.

Edited by nioniosbbbb

• 4 years later...

Outside of the mythos and their contributions to the arts, sciences and philosophy especially. The works of Plato are a fascinating read. 

I do know that in the second world war they almost beat back the Italians. If it weren't for German aid, Mussolini might have needed to surrender. 

See the source image

• Brohoof 1

All I really know is the mythology, which I researched for a writing project i was doing. I know it's a gorgeous country but anything else about it is, well...Greek to me. (I know, that was obvious, forgive me). 

• 2 months later...