Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Best & Worst OC Designs

Castle Bleck

n..no.. my friend's OC was a creation for RP avatar and ponysona... wait you say you make it as a joke?

Yes. Did you not read the part where I said I was drunk when I made it? I took every cliche in the book and threw it all together.  Well, the machine gun leg and cyborg eye were more personal touches.

yes i read it. i think i saw the machine gun thing in a movie though and that proves my point enough. by the way, i like the drawing

Yes. Did you not read the part where I said I was drunk when I made it? I took every cliche in the book and threw it all together.  Well, the machine gun leg and cyborg eye were more personal touches.

• 1 month later...

No, no hardened ponies, everyone in equestria smiles.

What about Maud? Yes, I am aware that she smiles for a few seconds near the end of the episode, but seriously. What I like about the ponies on the show is that many of them, while appearing pretty flat and static at first, end up having unique and complex personalities and backstories. As for their designs, I have always admired the way that all of the main characters have something that is completely unique about their design and makes them stand out, while at the same none of them stand out too much. I think that OC's should try to mirror the characters of the show in these ways.

(edited)

i would like to believe that both of my OCs are original and not cringe worthy. but i have seen plenty that are. some generic cookie cutter OCs and some typical edgy OCs and alicorns, and ones with reptile eyes or bat wings or broken horns or antlers. basically all the weird stuff you can use in general zois Pony creator. the ones that claim to be related in any way to a canon character, using dark colors like navy blue or maroon red improperly. OCs that have sharp teeth and are black and red. all that stuff is cringy.

although, if i were to reveal some info about my main OC: Phoenix. people might find him a little cringy because he can have a dark, however original backstory depending on whether or not it works with the RP. 

Edited by ~Phoenix~

Well people do have allot of thought and opinion about the subject OC. So might aswell add my own, to the list. First of all i just started writing an RP OC, but note that am really taking good care try make good. But then the question arrives. What is good? With all this people seem like they so many viewpoint about how OC is supposed to be. I can never hope please everyone, so i think the plan started out with when started write my OC is that write something that pleases me, and that know that i will be able RP. I can not say still if people like this OC. But even so, this far come into developement of him i have already started grow attached to him. And that good, in my book. It mean i will not neglect him cause get tired of written million words. I will keep on working on him until his just as i want him.

However of what read here, i now realise to full content on how critical some people can be about people RP characters. And i just have enough worries about my spelling and grammar in general to even bother worrying about all this other stuff. But when everything is said and done i think will like OC am makeing.

And the notes on weapons. Well what now is canon is that Rainbow Dash her self use word bullet, in one scene and pinkie pie is packing with canon and the guard are carrying spears. And also shown in cutie pox there is ponies that know fanching. Then we also have lance’s just in justing games. And in season 4 we got introduced to ponies using bow's. Even if looks like we're on practical thing to use.

This at where least what know that have been shown in the show. So rise the question do ponies kill? And my answer would be yes, and intellectually critter kills for it's on survivel. And we do now there is some danger in equestria. So they would most likely defend himself, even meaning the fact they have take life. But wouldn't say they are aggressive, on country if anything the show has told us is that equestrian ponies were peace loving. and rather solve problem with non harmful methods. And think they never would perform any act of villeins until they feel is the only option.

Darn got bit carried away there theorycrafting on equestrian morals. Anyhoves i believe said what need to say and more.

thanks! those are custom emoticons and it looks like she is talking X3

Yea is nice that addit bit flar on OC, but mouth moment might be little fast. It look like she talking really fast and is in hurry to expline herself. I would sudjest making it's mouth shape last for one more key fram. I think that about fix it.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Eh, it's hard to narrow it down for me because I personally believe that even if your character hits every single garish Mary Sue nail on the head, it can still be an awesome character. It all depends on the writer and their skill. When it comes to pure physical attributes, I like many others don't care for overly bright colors. As a digital artist myself, I find that it's rather difficult to actually pin down the exact color tone scheme for the series. But if all else fails, you can always go to the FiM wiki's galleries and just snag colors from screenshots. That's what I do. Garish color coordination is also a pet peeve of mine, one that which even the animators of the show itself aren't immune.

Odd eye colors are another pet peeve of mine. Heterochromia, to my knowledge, hasn't been shown to exist in Equestria, but if done right I don't have objections to OCs having it. However, characters who have "rainbow eyes", multiple colors in one eye needs to stop; that doesn't blend into Equestria and just smacks of a special snowflake trait. Crystal Ponies have a slight variation in their eyes, the shadowing in their eyes is slightly different than their main eye color, so slight even that it's often unnoticeable. That's fine as it doesn't draw attention, but rainbow eyes... yeah, no.

When it comes to personality traits, cliches and Mary Sue tendencies; like I said, they can still be an awesome character with all of them. However, what irks me the absolute most is when people try to give their characters random surface flaws in a blatant attempt to make their character not a Mary Sue. These attempts always backfire and even end up making said character even more of a Mary Sue.

I don't have a problem with Alicorn OCs, I have more than one myself. But I really don't like it when people have Alicorn OCs that are either really bad at flying/magic or can't do them at all. It makes no sense. Now, having an Alicorn who just recently ascended and aren't used to the new ability they gained fine, as long as they grow in ability and confidence, Twilight did that. However, I can't stand it when Alicorn OCs never grow, there's no reason for that and just smacks of an attempt to not make their character "over powered" while still trying to get away with an Alicorn OC.

Edited by Prince Firemane

Yea is nice that addit bit flar on OC, but mouth moment might be little fast. It look like she talking really fast and is in hurry to expline herself. I would sudjest making it's mouth shape last for one more key fram. I think that about fix it.

i know... looks like she talks a lot, that speed was intended for my OC chatterbox, but i feel like i should use 2 frames per image instead of just one, by the way, cute OC, i like his dance

• 5 months later...

i just wanted to throw in that dark colourshemes CAN be acceptable as cannon shemes (see thunderlane). especiallry if you mix darker shades in a neat flat contrast (thenormal paste contrasts work in a similar way ^^) also stranger colourshemes may be enforced by the characters race/origins. for an instant an OC like mine who come from an exotic (tropical, india-ish) land.

THIS DOES NOT MEAN i support jetblack OCs in anny way! i still despise them but there are acceptable darker colourshemes ^^

• 7 years later...

Well, lookie at THIS cookie! Is she bad or good? Rainbow Kaboom, she's on the left and I... Made her when I was 11, but I'm NOT changing her, just so you know! Yeah she's rainbow, but so what? So is Rainbow Dash! She's a butterfly pony, because these don't really exist in the fandom! She looks like a skittle though! :P 

397640708_RainbowKaboomStellarHeights.png.422549e223d70d7292dde3aa6b328753.png

• 5 weeks later...

Design wise? Anything that looks it'd have a name like "King Shadow Alicorn of Darkness 9000 Years McEvil III."  :please: