general media Tumblr: Love or Hate it?

Revy ~ Two Hands

Tumblr  

62 users have voted

1. 1. Tumblr: Love it or Hate it?

• Love
    • Hate
    • WTF is Tumblr?

I like the idea of Tumblr, but the users...

For the most part, I like it if I witness intelligent users there. I love following some fandom-related blogs (Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Disney, etc.)

However, I do find some pretty ignorant users there, so, yeah, it totally depends on the people that I see there. No different from any other social site, really. 

I love Tumblr itself. It's a pretty unique platform and I mostly like how it functions.

I also love the artists you find and the random pointless crap you come across.

Unfortunately, because it's such a free medium, it's also given a platform to those who probably shouldn't be allowed to have one. Some of the utter garbage that the “SJW” blog about really does make me sick to my stomach. :eww:

I've kinda stopped trying so hard to avoid these people because they always manage to creep back into my dashboard one way or another. Instead, I’ve followed a couple of blogs that refute these people in order to even out my feed a little.

Fight fire with fire I guess. :catface:

Well, and it doesn't do the site good to have those SJW now be the poster child for tumblr. Every day I hear of more and more people avoiding that site due to the toxic nature of the SJW plague that infects it. Which is a shame, before the identity politics and SJW ruined the site, it was a fairly decent place to see new artwork.

Indeed, even David himself had something to say about it.

It's sad, really, and I sometimes wish that there was actually something we could do about it

Edited by Hansel
  • Brohoof 1

Sometimes I enjoy it, sometimes I find it incredibly stupid (as is with any social networking site where people post stupid images).

Although I really don't understand what people are talking about when they refer to "SJW"s. Apparently it must be something that I don't get much exposure to. I do think some of the LGBT blogs I've followed say some strange things even I don't agree with, but that's about it... I see nothing wrong with any of the feminist blogs I've seen/followed. =/

What DOES annoy me is when I follow somebody because they're an actual friend or acquaintance that followed me, and then they're the type that reblogs nonsense I don't ever want to see. Like I have one who is either reblogging TwitchPlaysPokemon (which was REALLY obnoxious and annoying) or skimpy anime/video game characters. >.>

Although I really don't understand what people are talking about when they refer to "SJW"s. Apparently it must be something that I don't get much exposure to.

"Social Justice Warriors".

img-2440331-1-tumblr_n2t9jsNikd1rq01f1o1

img-2440331-2-tumblr_n2t9jsNikd1rq01f1o2

This video will explain further.

Edited by Hansel
  • Brohoof 2

Honestly I have mixed feelings.

I find it good if you use it to reach a different crowd of people but the interface is extremely u unfriendly to its users.

I also dislike how you can't block certain content since as an artist, I prefer to see only art related posts.

This leaves my dashboard flooded with reblogs I would rather not read.

"Social Justice Warriors".

img-2440331-1-tumblr_n2t9jsNikd1rq01f1o1

img-2440331-2-tumblr_n2t9jsNikd1rq01f1o2

This video will explain further.

I still don't get it...

The most ridiculous Tumblr I've ever seen was actually the opposite of what you posted, one accusing MLP:FiM of being sexist against men... One of the "reasons" given being that the show's world is ruled by women characters and not men characters!

Although, I guess I've never understood all of that "check your privilege" stuff on Tumblr, but it all seems minor to me. Probably because I do think that a fair bit of what the LGBT and feminist blogs I read say is actually valid.

I still don't get it...

The most ridiculous Tumblr I've ever seen was actually the opposite of what you posted, one accusing MLP:FiM of being sexist against men... One of the "reasons" given being that the show's world is ruled by women characters and not men characters!

Although, I guess I've never understood all of that "check your privilege" stuff on Tumblr, but it all seems minor to me. Probably because I do think that a fair bit of what the LGBT and feminist blogs I read say is actually valid.

And I've seen people on Tumblr claim that the MLP fandom was homophobic and sexist towards women, which they backed up with false accusations and examples taken completely out of context.

Edited by Hansel

Well, and it doesn't do the site good to have those SJW now be the poster child for tumblr. Every day I hear of more and more people avoiding that site due to the toxic nature of the SJW plague that infects it. Which is a shame, before the identity politics and SJW ruined the site, it was a fairly decent place to see new artwork.

Yeah .. pretty much this exactly. I particularly appreciate the phrase "SJW plague". Plague is a good word for it.

I go on tumblr for the ask blogs, and that's it. The user base it's become known for is just awful, though I'm kind of amused by how their own indiscriminate droning does more to harm their own causes now than anything else.

(edited)

WTF is 'SJW'? I learned what 'trigger warning' is this year and heard the term 'feminazi's', 'slut shaming' all this year.

Ugh Tumblr I am disappoint.

Also I F****** hate Gif's. 

Edited by Gamer Twilight

I was obsessed when I first created an account a year or two back. I accidentally deleted my blog and stopped using it. I recreated my account, but it's never been the same and I don't use it anymore. Whatever lol

Reblogs. Reblogs everywhere.

Yes, I enjoy it a lot. In fact, I used to spend countless hours everyday going past hundreds of pages on my dashboard.

Though it has been quite a bit since I've visited Tumblr for my daily dose of ponies.

• 3 weeks later...

Eh, I used to like it but I hate it now.

The layout is awful (as someone previously pointed out) and the SJW side is awful, also almost every joke on Tumblr gets completely ruined by an overused response like "DID YOU JUST?!" or "omG 2 TYPES OF PPL!" Infact, it's so overused someone actually made a "wheel of responses"

10156999_10202798919766675_196537466_n.j

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

The layout is awful (as someone previously pointed out) and the SJW side is awful, also almost every joke on Tumblr gets completely ruined by an overused response like "DID YOU JUST?!" or "omG 2 TYPES OF PPL!" Infact, it's so overused someone actually made a "wheel of responses"

img-2518201-1-10156999_10202798919766675

Not to defend tumblr but the layout is in control of the individual blogger.

In theory you can do anything design wise to your blog. That said as someone who actually can code HTML and CSS, the way it's structure is kinda fucked up, for trying to customize it.

Edited by Gamer Twilight

img-2518201-1-10156999_10202798919766675

I actually kinda like the layout, even though it's sorta awkward. It sort of reminds me of how the Internet was back in 2005 for some reason.

Also what is

up with people

typing

like this

and starting a sentence in lower case and then shifting to upPER CASE TWO LETTERS INTO A WORD LIKE THIS FOR NO APPARENT REASON PUNCTUATION IF FOR WHIMPS YO. 

lt's okay if you avoid the bast part of the social justice movement.

You know what, best to avoid Tumblr Social Justice altogether unless you have a strong resolve and a lot of willpower to see past the bullshit to the real issues. 

I put down "hate" (dislike would be more accurate) because of the self-indulgence and overstimulation found on Tumblr. By "self-indulgence", I mean the "this blog is where I post pictures and GIFs of things I like, several times a day; look how awesome everything I like is" atmosphere of Tumblr. You aren't as important as you think. By "overstimulation", I mean Tumblr's tendency to provide you with so much "content", of all sorts, that this content no longer is interesting, amazing or special to you. You can get sick of the things you like if you consume too much of it. That's a fact to take to heart.

If you have a Tumblr and you don't use it in this manner, what I said in the above paragraph does not apply to you.

I actually kinda like the layout, even though it's sorta awkward. It sort of reminds me of how the Internet was back in 2005 for some reason.

Also what is

up with people

typing

like this

and starting a sentence in lower case and then shifting to upPER CASE TWO LETTERS INTO A WORD LIKE THIS FOR NO APPARENT REASON PUNCTUATION IF FOR WHIMPS YO. 

By layout I'm talking about the really fucking weird formatting system, like how people reply, it's stupid and confusing and half the time I can't tell who's talking.

• Brohoof 1