Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Self Harming...

Commander Bubbles

I dont agree with anyone in this thread o_o mostly because both sides naive believes they are the only right.

I have only a few things to say and im probably gonna offend someone by saying this for sure
1. Self hurting can relief mental pain temporarily, but as sayd its only temporarily.

2.1. Self hurting can be seen as a sign of weakness as you succumb to the the mental pain and physically hurt you. Thou there are some exceptions that im not gonna dwell into here ._.
2.2 Avoiding self hurting does in a lot of scenarios mean you are strong enough to withstand the pressure your mental issues and pain us causing you. Thou as forementioned there are some cases where it can be seen as a weakness instead.

3. As much as i understand why people hurt themselves I want you to consider this. You may leave a scar that will never heal on your body, will this be a reminder or a trophy? I honestly believe hurting yourself only brings more pain as you're left with a reminder of last time you hurt yourself.

As mentioned earlier this is in no way meant to hurt anyone, I totally understand depression and mental problems which may cause self harm. Thou i can personally say i have gone down a tough road and i never succumbed to hurting myself physically. I don't loose any respect for those who did hurt themselves because of the pain, but i have no respect for those who hurt themselves for the attention. Thou i wont ever ask which one you did or are doing. I have had friends who did hurt themselves (it was quite visible if you saw their arms) and they were for the most of it nice people.

I dont agree with anyone in this thread o_o mostly because both sides naive believes they are the only right.

I have only a few things to say and im probably gonna offend someone by saying this for sure

1. Self hurting can relief mental pain temporarily, but as sayd its only temporarily.

2.1. Self hurting can be seen as a sign of weakness as you succumb to the the mental pain and physically hurt you. Thou there are some exceptions that im not gonna dwell into here ._.

2.2 Avoiding self hurting does in a lot of scenarios mean you are strong enough to withstand the pressure your mental issues and pain us causing you. Thou as forementioned there are some cases where it can be seen as a weakness instead.

3. As much as i understand why people hurt themselves I want you to consider this. You may leave a scar that will never heal on your body, will this be a reminder or a trophy? I honestly believe hurting yourself only brings more pain as you're left with a reminder of last time you hurt yourself.

As mentioned earlier this is in no way meant to hurt anyone, I totally understand depression and mental problems which may cause self harm. Thou i can personally say i have gone down a tough road and i never succumbed to hurting myself physically. I don't loose any respect for those who did hurt themselves because of the pain, but i have no respect for those who hurt themselves for the attention. Thou i wont ever ask which one you did or are doing. I have had friends who did hurt themselves (it was quite visible if you saw their arms) and they were for the most of it nice people.

I don't agree with your first comment, but I agree with you strangely about your personal situation.

I've also been down a rough road and never hurt myself, but how in the world does hurting yourself benefit you at all? 

Never once thought about it, as I'm not one that particularly enjoys pain...

Suicide...maybe, once, when my family was homeless and living in cheap hotels for 6 months...it was a very dark time full of simmering tempers, crippling monotony and harrowing despair, seeing how people in desperate need brought out the greed in common people and how 6 people trapped in a small room quickly acquired a gnawing hatred for each other...

But I digress.

Remember the motto of a certain pink party pony, friends...

• 3 weeks later...

I don't see the 'relief' in cutting one's wrists, arms, legs etc. It just tends to make things a whole lot worse and it can leave permanent scars. I suppose I can see it as a cry for help, since it's difficult to hide them, but in other cases, such as a small group in my school, it's become a disturbing fashion trend. If you feel the need to hurt yourself you need to tell someone, cutting won't help or solve anything.

It's quite a taboo subject, I suppose, but I can relate, as I used to 'self' harm' in a different way by pulling out my hair and eyebrows, and sadly it's grown into a bad habit. It's not a relief for stress at all and I totally regret starting it.

Edited by Dr. Frasier Crane

Ah yes, the infamous emotional desert phase, where people feel deeply depressed and feel like they can't find happiness. Everyone has gone through a desert phase in at least one of their lifetimes. Don't let it disturb you, it's a sign that your consciousness is growing. In the end, you will become a much better person from enduring the experience :)

I'm self-destructive when angry but rarely am i self-harming. I wish i could help you dammit... but i guess the only thing i can tell you is how close i came to suiciding. I've been shit many times in my life... i realized that while it may sound selfish... You should never do yourself harm and ruin your mood for others.

• 4 years later...

I didn't know you could discuss this kind of shit here.

I tend to self harm a lot, almost every single day because of how emotionally distressed and hopeless I am. I hate no one but myself. Physical pain also helps emotional pain go away. 

I disagree with self harming. But if you choose to do so,  then all I can say is find some alternative to relieve the stress. I read through some other threads like "what do you when you're sad or stress?" And I doubt it that many of you don't have an alternative. 

Edited by TBD

I just wanted to remind everyone that everyone is different and deals with issues in a different way. Please keep posts on-topic and appropriate.

I had posted on this thread a few years ago and I was self-injuing back then. I have had various relapses since then but I am currently receiving treatment and it is going well. There is help out there.

Done, been there, I have my scars. Did it a few years ago. 

Just know that self-harming is really not the solution to anything. I mostly did mine as a cry out for help, for attention seeking and now I bear the memories of having done it and how incredibly stupid it was. 

Maybe it actually works for some, maybe it does relieve people of some kind of stress, pain or depression for a while, but the scars that will form on your body will be with you for years and years until they have faded so far enough you can't really see them anymore. They are not really worth bearing and so I advise against it. 

Don't do stupid shit like that. 

I used to back in high school. It had a few different meanings for me. The physical pain distracted me from my emotional pain, and I honestly kind of enjoyed it a bit. I guess I'm a bit masochistic. I only stopped because it really worried my mom, and by the time she found out I was already mostly past my depression.

In hindsight, my reason for being depressed really wasn't that serious, especially compared to other people's situations. It's kind of embarrassing to think about.

At some points I'd get so mad and sad I'd punch and beat myself scratching at my face, punching walls bashing my head into things such as walls I even considered starving myself to death at one point, still think about it 

Not all too long ago, I was self harming quite regularly. I didn't stop until I hurt myself so badly that I had to go to the hospital. I still have quite a few scars on several parts of my body. All I can say is, if you're hurting yourself, please get help. There are better ways to relieve the mental pain. I had to go to the hospital to realize that.

• 2 months later...

I've never done anything to purposefully self-harm myself, and it personally bothers me a bit that some people feel like they have to cause harm to themselves because they feel there's no way out. It's just kind of depressing I guess. 

• Brohoof 2