S04:E19 - For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils  

263 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

First off, allow me to begin by saying that this is the first episode of anything ever to make me sick mid-way through it.

That dream sequence scared me and created more than a bit of stress for me, and my pulse rate skyrocketed and boom, I thr...er, I got nauseous. 

Stupid heart defect...

That being said, it's a testament to how powerful this episode truly is, and, I must say, it's my 2nd favorite episode of the whole season, and easily top 10 of the whole series :D

Rarity and Sweetie Belle are such great sisters...they fight, they quarrel, they bicker, just like siblings do ever so often.

Despite all of this, they still do love and cherish each other, no matter what happens :D

That's why they're best sisters.

I liked how Luna pretty much said "Hey, bitch, I've been here before, and, like, trust me, brah, TOTALLY not a path you want to take, brah. #420blazeit" to Sweetie Belle; I think that shows some extra depth to Luna herself in terms of her relationship with her sister, and even just the little things like that you can notice make the episode great.

One thing I feel people will nitpick - and I'm going off of a "this is something people are going to gripe about to look smart" feeling I had - was that Rarity wasn't really arguing back with Sweetie Belle and was kind and patient for most of the time, until she got extra pissed at the end with Sweetie Belle at the end.

Keep in mind, though, she had nothing to really be mad at. She had stuff to be more visibly hurt at, than anything. She had the right to be mad at Sweetie Belle for sabotaging her headress, but, other than that, she shouldn't really had gotten mad and defensive at Sweetie Belle for being upset her dresses stole the spotlight. She wanted to go talk with her, (but of course, she put it off, because it seemed Sweetie Belle was still hella pissed about it) saying she wanted to make things right. No reason to be mad and yell back, so don't nitpick her for not being all over-dramatic back when Sweetie Belle came in and started yelling at her.

Rarity is over-dramatic, yes, but she always has reason for doing so :D

This provided a lot of development for the best sisters, though, and I'm glad to have been able to see such an amazing episode, no matter how much stress it provided me during that 22 minute span.

This episode felt so...pure. It was easily a perfect score, and I'll probably write a more excited and "omg this is so great review" after I start feeling a bit better. Seriously, that dream scene had the same effect as riding a roller coaster with me.

1 - 5:

:D :D :D :D :D

rarity_and_sweetie_belle_by_pony4444-d4w

• Brohoof 13

For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils was very heartwarming and it was also reminiscent of Sisterhooves Social. I liked the fact that we got plenty of Luna screentime (she's still going down in March Madness though). If you ask me, being jealous of a sister who steals the spotlight with her perfect dresses isn't quite the same as coveting the slightly greater influence of somepony you co-rule the world with. But Princess Luna finds a way to relate to Sweetie Belle's anguish. :)

A few more random thoughts:

-Now we know what five year old ponies look like. I don't know if that particular age and style were used before.

-Plot hole of the episode. Why didn't Rarity just use her telekinesis to get the box with the headdress in it back? :huh:

-And have we ever seen this security guard before? I dunno about you but I really liked Padlock. :D

-Apple Bloom's tail is prehensile?

-And the fact that Luna made an in person appearance was a nice unexpected touch.  The fact that she only came to Scootaloo in her dream last season made Luna seem distant and aloof. OK, maybe she WAS really there at one point, but that was a cameo with virtually no interaction. 

Edited by Wingnut
  • Brohoof 3

You realize that now, somewhere down the line, Luna has to appear before Applebloom in a dream. She's helped Scootaloo and now Sweetie Belle, so why not make it three for three? 

I've been looking forward to this episode since it was first announced, and I can say that it was just what I'd hoped for, if not more. Luna makes an excellent secondary mentor to the CMC but it also sneaks in how much Luna has changed. I mean, who better to teach somepony about the consequences of jealousy than one who has lived through it? And it is made very clear from her words that Luna has personally experienced how Sweetie Belle is feeling (though with far more disastrous results). The entire dream sequence was appropriately trippy and I thought the negative effect was a nice touch. 

Although, I do have to nitpick a few things. For one, the laughing "Raricloud" sounded too much like Luna at first. And yes, before anyone corrects me, I know that Rarity and Luna are both voiced by Tabitha St Germain, but Tabitha has shown she can differ between the two voices fluently for the most part. Second, how is Luna showing parts of a memory neither she nor Sweetie Belle were there to witness? Like with the birthday, they should only be viewing this from Sweetie Belle's POV, so unless Luna is also tapping into Rarity's memories neither of them should be seeing this. I know I'm over-thinking this, but it still bugs me a little. 

Despite these tiny nitpicks, I thought this episode was really sweet by its end. 

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 1

I liked how Luna pretty much said "Hey, bitch, I've been here before, and, like, trust me, brah, TOTALLY not a path you want to take, brah. #420blazeit"

This is my new head canon for Luna's demeanor forever, thanks man.

• Brohoof 4

... Let me be honest here, first ten minutes of the episode, I was expecting to thoroughly HATE this episode. The ponies at the play being SO inconsiderate of the feelings of children, Rarity being a sweetheart only for Sweetie Belle to be an ungrateful jerk who has NO understanding of her sister's efforts... for quite a bit of the episode, I was thoroughly ticked off, and even now, that still felt so off to me.

However, when Luna came to intervene in Sweetie's dreams, the episode DID start getting better. The conflict started feeling more understandable and relateable, and I do appreciate what it did. Luna herself was done wonderfully in the episode, and that little bit of dialogue where she refers to being outshined by her sister really shows that she's yet to escape such conflicts, which is something I assumed they wouldn't bring up again.

As well, Rarity was done PHENOMENALLY. She was caring, sympathetic, kind... all-in-all, just doing what she could to be a good older sister; even a good person. She was GENEROUS, to a point I don't think the show's done before. And I absolutely ADORED it. I felt so sorry for her for the first part of the episode, getting yelled at by her sister for just being nice. I couldn't even feel sorry for Sweetie because of that.

This episode really felt like a Christmas Carol-esque episode, and I'm honestly surprised it wasn't saved until then, given the showing of "past, present, and future", dreams, and whatnot.

Well, thats how children work, sometimes they are just very inconsiderate of the feelings of others, they don't even mean it like that, most of the time. Most of the time they don't even notice that they are dicks, how could they? They are childen after all, their compassion is not fully formed yet.

Children are selfish, thats how it HAS to work. They need to be, its important for the propagation of the species.

But that the other adults at the start did not give Sweetie the praise she deserved for her play was a pretty dickish move of them. They don't have the excuse of youth and an unformed character on their side.  :okiedokielokie:

• Brohoof 2

Sweetie Belle, you will be haunted by Princess Luna, expect her first appearance when the bell tolls one, and has ceased to vibrate, I'm probably not the first to see a Christmas Carol connection, since cartoons use this as a plot devise, but Friendship is Magic did it well. It's nice to see Sweetie Belle get her own episode again, and see her development with Rarity, plus some back story of a younger moment that children tend to remember, but for the wrong reasons. Sweetie Belle has a jealousy side, bordering on histrionic personality disorder, then again so does Rarity, but she has maturity to keep some of her flaws resigned, Sweetie Belle is still growing up, so in a fit of rage she sabotages Rarity's headdress, and in a dream Princess Luna comes, Sweetie Belle is the second filly to see Luna in her dreams, I would love to see Luna come into Applebloom's dreams, so it is here where we see the visions of past, present and yet to come, showing Sweetie Belle the possible outcome of her grievous folly, for in the end Sweetie and the rest of the crusaders go to Canterlot, so Sweetie can fix her mistake, and owns up to her mistake, next saving face with Sapphire Shores, I really enjoyed this episode, the cutie mark crusaders have grown up so much, furthermore I love the sisterly love of Rarity and Sweetie Belle, as she realizes Rarity was trying to keep her happy, however it was Princess Luna I really loved, who knows what it's like to be jealous of an older sister, then consequences that can entail, and she was amazing in this episode, like Rarity and Sweetie Belle, next weekend Flim and Flam return, friend or foe in " Leap of Faith."  

• Brohoof 2

I'd have to say that this episode really did leave an impression on me.

First off, it was good seeing Luna again to help Sweetie Belle with her problem and get her to come to her senses where she could learn the error of her ways. Scootaloo and Apple Bloom were really funny in this episode, and to top it off, Rarity and Sweetie Belle learned to forgive each other and bring us a heartwarming episode.

8/10

tumblr_m7f65dSbsv1rziwwco1_500.gif

• Brohoof 4

I loved seeing Sweetie Belle and Rarity interact in this episode, they're just as close to each other sister wise as Applejack and Applebloom are. I loved seeing Sweetie Belle learn her errors and then try and fix it. I loved seeing Sapphire Shores in this episode and it was nice to see Luna again, she's my favorite princess next to Twilight. The whole dream sequence bit was trippy and really was like the dream bit with Scootaloo and Luna. Applebloom should be next for trippy dream sequence scenes, lol. All in all a good episode, good morals and good story. 9/10!

• Brohoof 3

Well, thats how children work, sometimes they are just very inconsiderate of the feelings of others, they don't even mean it like that, most of the time. Most of the time they don't even notice that they are dicks, how could they? They are childen after all, their compassion is not fully formed yet.

Children are selfish, thats how it HAS to work. They need to be, its important for the propagation of the species.

But that the other adults at the start did not give Sweetie the praise she deserved for her play was a pretty dickish move of them. They don't have the excuse of youth and an unformed character on their side.  :okiedokielokie:

... That IS a legitimate point, yes. I suppose I didn't think of it like that.

It still feels rather odd to have in the show, however. Friendship is Magic tends to focus on having characters with set personalities that blossom into more, but hold the characters on the same basic moral grounds as they grow. The show hasn't done a whole lot of exploiting of the less considerate and selfish mentality children can have, and seeing it now, out of Sweetie Belle, while not entirely wrong, was really shocking and off-putting.

... And yes, I think we can agree those guys were a bunch of flankhats.

• Brohoof 1

Alrighty, I'm feeling much, much better now :D

DEAR GOD I'M SPEECHLESS!!!! :D

That episode was truly beautiful in a way my waifu herself could appreciate!!! :wub:

It's my 3rd favorite episode of the whole series now, behind only "Rarity Takes Manehattan" and "Suited For Success" :wub:

Dear god, it was so, so, perfect, and here I was, worrying myself sick that I'd have to defend Rarity until I worked myself to death  ^_^ 

She was so perfect, so amazing...I'm really speechless :wub: This is one of her best episodes yet, and she didn't even have the spotlight :wub:

This is why I fell in love with her character to the extreme extent that I have :wub:

I'm grinning like an idiot even as I type this :D

tumblr_m817vwvx201qc5ffho1_1280.png

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 5

I loved it!! I just love seeing these two sisters together. I no like angry Sweetie Belle, she is too "Sweet" to be that mad. Rarity didn't do what she did on purpose. This is Rarity, everything has to be exotic. I understand why Sweetie Belle sabotaged her work, I know because I did it when I was younger when I got angry. Other than that, I really enjoyed the episode and give it 8.5/10.

This is just something I had posted somewhere else yesterday before the episode.

"Luna visited Scootaloo in her dreams in season 3 and she will do the same to Sweetie Belle in the new episode tomorrow. I will assume that Luna will do the same to Applebloom in a future episode and these visits could be linked in a way which could mean something."

Building on to what I had said there, it could be the lessons Luna taught them that could mean something.

• Brohoof 3

Yeah, okay, I'm cool now.

This episode though... it's another great entry into the Rarity and Sweetie Belle sisterhood saga, and it's even better than Sisterhooves Social.

I really liked how the episode began with the sisters interacting, showed a contrast between them with the dresses, and flowed on perfectly from there- the contrast and tension between them really did exist throughout the whole episode, whether they were near each other or not, and that really stuck out to me. Heck, as soon as the dresses became the focus of Sweetie Belle's play I said aloud 'Oh, I see where this is going.' and was ready for every step of the ride.

And what a ride it was- from Sweetie Belle getting fed up with Rarity for being 'too good', to the dream sequences showing events that happened in the sisters' past, to Sweetie Belle going all the way to Canterlot to try and make up for her mistake earlier in the episode where she pulls a thread out of a headdress(if not only because of the rather horrifying imo nightmare sequence where Rarity loses everything because of that), I feel their relationship was well-explored here. Luna was a surprisingly great element to this episode too- with her being able to relate to Sweetie Belle's situation of being outshined by her sister, I feel she was a much better fit here than in Sleepless In Ponyville(although I suppose that episode was needed to establish her dreamwalking ability to make way for this one), and the fact that she even appeared in person to help Sweetie sew the headdress was certainly a great moment for her- it might even slightly help justify how overrated she is to me. Slightly. ^_^

I really can't even think of anything glaringly wrong with the episode- Sweetie Belle might have been a slight bit of a spoiled brat maybe, but it was just part of the episode's character arc anyway. And if anyone complains about the lack of screentime for the rest of the Mane 6, well, it wasn't their episode. They left when they needed to I feel(when Sweetie Belle started the aforementioned phase above nontheless).

Yeah, so overall, I just absolutely adored For Whom the Sweetie Belle Tolls. The story, the characterization, the visuals(those dream visuals man, gorgeous stuff)- it was all just perfect in my mind. It was definitely a much better sisters episode than Somepony to Watch Over Me, I think we can all agree on anyway. Absolutely amazing episode, one of the best of all of Season 4 if not the whole show. :D

10/10

• Brohoof 4

Reasons I loved this episode:

• Rarity and Sweetie Belle episode.
  • Progression from Sisterhooves Social.
  • Sapphire Shores returns.
  • The dresses! :yay:
  • Sweetie Belle's nightmares (wow, that sounds terrible when I put it like that).
  • LUNA! :wub:
  • Spike is used well in this episode.
  • Dave Posky wrote it.
  • Everything else.

Did I mention that Luna is in the episode?

74881-applelooking_at_viewerlunathe_fun_

I also have a question.  Was Sapphire Shore's dreams about dolphins meant to be a reference to Paleo?  Are they saying we should ship her with Paleo?

Paleo.png

• Brohoof 4

I loved it!! I just love seeing these two sisters together. I no like angry Sweetie Belle, she is too "Sweet" to be that mad. Rarity didn't do what she did on purpose. This is Rarity, everything has to be exotic. I understand why Sweetie Belle sabotaged her work, I know because I did it when I was younger when I got angry. Other than that, I really enjoyed the episode and give it 8.5/10.

This is just something I had posted somewhere else yesterday before the episode.

"Luna visited Scootaloo in her dreams in season 3 and she will do the same to Sweetie Belle in the new episode tomorrow. I will assume that Luna will do the same to Applebloom in a future episode and these visits could be linked in a way which could mean something."

Building on to what I had said there, it could be the lessons Luna taught them that could mean something.

Wow; you might have a point there. Luna visiting the Cutie Mark Crusaders in their dreams could be their Rainbow Eyes(and it even started before Rainbow Eyes were a thing)! :o
  • Brohoof 1

Wow; you might have a point there. Luna visiting the Cutie Mark Crusaders in their dreams could be their Rainbow Eyes(and it even started before Rainbow Eyes were a thing)! :o

Hipster CMC had rainbow powers before it was cool! >_>

• Brohoof 2

My cat was bothering me for most of the episode. "Shut up Luna, I'm trying to listen to Luna!" Yes, my cat's name is Luna, and no I actually named her before I became a brony.

Anyway, this episode was great. The dream sequence was really surreal and creepy, just how I like them. Rarity was great. Anyone who complains that she's not generous enough needs to watch this. I also really appreciated how they brought up Luna's jealousy of Celestia, and what happened because of it. I honestly thought we would never hear about that again.

I really liked Sweetie Belle in this episode too. She was selfish and a bit cruel, but when she learned just what the consequences of her actions were she did everything to make it right. I know how that feels, I've done things like that myself. No wonder she's my favorite cmc.

10/10 for now. I can't think of any major complaints. I'll post again after watching it a few more times to see if my opinion changes.

Edited by BasementPony
  • Brohoof 2

Relevant

large.jpeg

At first I was like "Sweetie Belle, WTH?" Really, I didn't think Sweetie Belle could be that mean. That was kinda shocking. Especially her act of sabotage. :blink:

Since I don't read synopses of upcoming episodes, Luna's appearance came as a pleasant surprise. Although still, it seemed a little too relatable to Scootaloo's case in Sleepless in Ponyville. Conflict -> Nightmare -> Princess Luna. The only difference being in how things played out this time. Past, present and future. Belle-nezer Scrooge  :lol:

Oh man, more nightmare fuel  :yay:

The one in Filli Vanilli was quite impressive. This one too.

Those are the most notable parts in the episode for me. Overall I enjoyed the episode. 

• Brohoof 1

FANMADE_Sweetie_Belle_scoot_by_starsteppSweetie Belle Episode YAAAY!(?)

This was an ok episode. I really loved the voice for Luna :comeatus: (new VA?) and the Rarity nightmare thing was pretty well done. I liked how they were doing it kind of like in "A Christmas Carol." But overall, I didn't feel this was gonna be memorable as, say, the last Apple Bloom episode. One thing that kind of creeped me out was how Luna knew all of this. Like was she just there staring through the window the whole time or something? And Illuminati is now canon because of that headdress. 

Oh and also,

1395502312846s.jpg

This was fantastic!

:D

I now  look forward to seeing more Luna -- perhaps a visit to Applebloom now that Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle have had her visit their dreams.

I can't think of anything  negative about the episode. It hurt a little at just how angry Sweetie Belle got, and then the ending made me tear up a little. This was a heart-wrenching episode for me personally.

• Brohoof 1

Wow, just..wow. The PERFECT Sibling Episode. Now its well known I may be biast (Rarity is best pony) and after episodes with AB and AJ, there was alot of competition. But this was just, pure gold! And this WAS a sibling episode! I do NOT want a dozen replys saying this entire thing was some further explanation of lunas powers, or how Rarity is "such a bad sister". Anyone who would even waste the calories to type such a thing, clearly does NOT have a sibling!

This season is hitting hard home the relationships between not only friends, but family. And for that i praise it all the more. So haters, go hate. Go ride your Luna-bus right on down to "we hate Rarity ave" and think what you will. The reality is, this and Maud Pie, have been perfect examples of what its like to have a sibling, or in this case to be exact, a Sister.

But before the flames start, I will mention, It was great to see Luna have a large role again. She has such a huge, HUGE fanbase that I am sure this episodes message,and the development of Sweete and even a bit of Development for Queen Ra-ra will get lost in the sheer drewling and foaming at the mouth for Luna...I demand some Celestia action DHX! Big Sister Flank is better flank!!

p.s. The shifting of the dreamscape was so..real. From swimming to space travel to seeing things like your Sisters faces in a cloud. It felt natural, and wasnt rushed or forced. This episode was just, GOLD!

• Brohoof 2

I have to say this episode showed an amazing new side to sweetie belle and luna. I loved it. It showed classic real world drama that could only be expressed through these two ponies. But one thing I could suggest

Sequins. It needs more SEQUINS!!!

I just watched the episode on Youtube because I wanted to see if Luna sang. I loved it, though she didn't sing! :D I really loved the touch of how Rarity was rocking back and forth in her decaying old home in that shot. I think the MLP crew are taking these episodes many steps further from their target audience this season!!! :D

Edited by yayayayayala

NOW THAT'S HOW YOU DO AN EPISODE!!!!

now you see best ponies in action.

Rarity! Luna!.... oh...and Sweetie Bell

Actually this was fantastic all the way around. my new favorite season episode

Edited by Argumedies
  • Brohoof 1