S04:E19 - For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils  

263 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Very good episode. My only complaint was Sweetie Belle going so far as to ruin Rarity's headdress seemed out of character and inconsistent with her past behavior, especially given that Rarity hadn't really done anything wrong, but it was sort of necessary for the plot. As a huge Sweetie Belle fan that really bothered me, but she definitely redeemed herself in the end and it was a great episode overall. :D

Oh yeah, and Luna once again proved why she is best princess. :comeatus:

• Brohoof 1

Very good episode. My only complaint was Sweetie Belle going so far as to ruin Rarity's headdress seemed out of character and inconsistent with her past behavior, especially given that Rarity hadn't really done anything wrong, but it was sort of necessary for the plot. As a huge Sweetie Belle fan that really bothered me, but she definitely redeemed herself in the end and it was a great episode overall. :D

Oh yeah, and Luna once again proved why she is best princess. :comeatus:

Actually don't see where she was out of character at all. shes always had this.. aggravation,,, of Rarity we saw this in Sisterhood Social and this continues that sibling rivalry. and this was a natural and most believable turn of events in that.

and I for one am happy,...elated... ecstatic and a whole plethora of emotions that they have chosen these two as the reflection of Celestia and Luna's back story because we can now relive their history through them.... I say what a fantastic development. and Luna's decision to intervene, screams this episodes moral of . "Don't make the same mistakes I did"

this is why I loved it so because it tied so many loose ends together 

Edited by Argumedies

Actually don't see where she was out of character at all. shes always had this.. aggravation,,, of Rarity we saw this in Sisterhood Social and this continues that sibling rivalry. and this was a natural and most believable turn of events in that.

I don't want to hear about how this was similar to Sisterhooves Social. In that episode Sweetie Belle actually had a legitimate reason and wasn't anywhere near as quick to anger. Even after being shunned several times she still made this:

24524__safe_rarity_sweetie-belle_animate

Whereas in this episode, she did something cruel for no good reason.

• Brohoof 2

Relevant

img-2435670-1-large.jpeg

At first I was like "Sweetie Belle, WTH?" Really, I didn't think Sweetie Belle could be that mean. That was kinda shocking. Especially her act of sabotage. :blink:

Since I don't read synopses of upcoming episodes, Luna's appearance came as a pleasant surprise. Although still, it seemed a little too relatable to Scootaloo's case in Sleepless in Ponyville. Conflict -> Nightmare -> Princess Luna. The only difference being in how things played out this time. Past, present and future. Belle-nezer Scrooge  :lol:

Oh man, more nightmare fuel  :yay:

The one in Filli Vanilli was quite impressive. This one too.

Those are the most notable parts in the episode for me. Overall I enjoyed the episode. 

I really did enjoy the dream/nightmare sequence. What made the nightmare stand out to me was the idea that the failure would ruin Rarity's career and social life. What freaks me out more about it is that it all seems pretty realistic and something that could've and would've happened if Sweetie Belle went through with her revenge plan completely and succeeded.

It also feels like all that tension and Sweetie Belle's anger towards her sister were building up throughout the series. Rarity does have a habit of stealing the spotlight, and we've seen several occasions where she's so caught up in her work that she neglects her sister. We even got that one bit in "Twilight Time" where Sweetie herself says that Rarity hasn't made any promises to take her to Manehatten any time soon, and that was another Dave Polsky episode.

Loved it! ^^

I have to say, I love it when they put Princess Luna in a dream every once in a while. ^^

And how it ended with Luna helping Sweetie Bell with that head dress, it was just so great! ^^

Adorable episode. Sweetie Belle definatley has some anger problems, but I guess you would have to know what it's like to constantly be upstaged by an older sibling. I thought the episode was truly beautiful, and I thought Luna connecting the dots and relating to Sweetie Belle was one of the cutest parts. I like the relationship between Sweetie and Rarity still because at the end they always realize how much they love eachother, Mane six should probably still check out her play. I think that would have been the slightly cuter ending.

I don't want to hear about how this was similar to Sisterhooves Social. In that episode Sweetie Belle actually had a legitimate reason and wasn't anywhere near as quick to anger. Even after being shunned several times she still made this:

24524__safe_rarity_sweetie-belle_animate

Whereas in this episode, she did something cruel for no good reason.

sorry, you must have missed the part where she was screaming at Rarity about not having a sister then running to Applejack right in front of her..

now at the you would think that all that aggravation had played out. things don't always get settled so easily and this is a perfect example. hell you should see some of the screaming matches I get into with my older sister (and were not exactly spring chickens) and ya, some of it has been downright dirty so this was quite believable. 

it doesn't surprise me non that there was a little devil bell in there somewhere, and what I think was the key to this episode was in the fact that Luna squashed it before it grew to "nightmare" proportions.

Edited by Argumedies

Relevant

img-2435670-1-large.jpeg

At first I was like "Sweetie Belle, WTH?" Really, I didn't think Sweetie Belle could be that mean. That was kinda shocking. Especially her act of sabotage. :blink:

Since I don't read synopses of upcoming episodes, Luna's appearance came as a pleasant surprise. Although still, it seemed a little too relatable to Scootaloo's case in Sleepless in Ponyville. Conflict -> Nightmare -> Princess Luna. The only difference being in how things played out this time. Past, present and future. Belle-nezer Scrooge  :lol:

Oh man, more nightmare fuel  :yay:

The one in Filli Vanilli was quite impressive. This one too.

Those are the most notable parts in the episode for me. Overall I enjoyed the episode. 

OMG, where did you get that pic?  I'd like to use it as the cover for my review.  I've already got the first Paleo/Sapphire ship-pic ready.

post-3094-0-57197900-1395511910_thumb.png

While I'll agree that SB has always felt outshined by her amazing older sister, comparing their behavior in this episode to their behavior in Sisterhooves Social is ENTIRELY inaccurate.

In Sisterhooves Social, it was a back and forth force created by Rarity yelling at Sweetie Belle a few times; the tension, and the anger, was less petty and more mutual. 

In this episode, however, Sweetie Belle was the only one in the wrong. Rarity worked hard to make those dresses look the best they could for Sweetie Belle's play, so much that it put her career and her designs for a top-tier celebrity clientele on hold, JUST so she could make a few dresses for her sister's play. 

When Sweetie Belle came in there and screamed and threw a fit about how Rarity's outfits stole the show, Rarity didn't yell back, and she seemed to feel a bit bad for it. She wanted to talk things over with Sweetie Belle, but SB was far too mad to do so.

That's when SB deliberately sabotaged Rarity's dress, which could've turned her into a laughing stock and effectively ended her career. 

Worst part is, it showed at the beginning of the episode that Sweetie Belle was entirely aware of who Rare's client was and how make or break this was for her career, but she did it anyway.

In Sisterhooves Social, they were both in the wrong, more so Rarity, but she felt remorse and made up for it.

In this episode, Sweetie Belle was the only one in the wrong, but she felt remorse and made up for it just as much as she messed up for it.

These two episodes are not alike in the slightest past sibling bickering.

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 7

While I'll agree that SB has always felt outshined by her amazing older sister, comparing their behavior in this episode to their behavior in Sisterhooves Social is ENTIRELY inaccurate.

In Sisterhooves Social, it was a back and forth force created by Rarity yelling at Sweetie Belle a few times; the tension, and the anger, was less petty and more mutual. 

In this episode, however, Sweetie Belle was the only one in the wrong. Rarity worked hard to make those dresses look the best they could for Sweetie Belle's play, so much that it put her career and her designs for a top-tier celebrity clientele on hold, JUST so she could make a few dresses for her sister's play. 

When Sweetie Belle came in there and screamed and threw a fit about how Rarity's outfits stole the show, Rarity didn't yell back, and she seemed to feel a bit bad for it. She wanted to talk things over with Sweetie Belle, but SB was far too mad to do so.

That's when SB deliberately sabotaged Rarity's dress, which could've turned her into a laughing stock and effectively ended her career. 

Worst part is, it showed at the beginning of the episode that Sweetie Belle was entirely aware of who Rare's client was and how make or break this was for her career, but she did it anyway.

In Sisterhooves Social, they were both in the wrong, more so Rarity, but she felt remorse and made up for it.

In this episode, Sweetie Belle was the only one in the wrong, but she felt remorse and made up for it just as much as she messed up for it.

Ghostie you are my hero. :wub:

I only wish I was better at writing my thoughts out myself.

• Brohoof 1

Now this, this was an episode that met my expectations...

Reasons to like:

- Sweetie Belle + Luna, Sweetie Belle is my favorite cmc and Luna's my fav princess

- The dream, my favorite part of the episode

- When Sweetie Belle said she dressed up real pretty on her birthday and there was lipstick ALL over her mouth

- The Sapphire Shores appearance, and Applebloom and Scoot's song references 

- Not exactly part of the episode but some of the episodes have this play on words for real life referencess

for example, this one refers to, I think, "For Whom the Bell Toils" I like stuff like that

Reasons not to like:

- The butt-hole ponies in the beginning that didn't even pay attention to the play, I mean, they could've at least acknowledged the content in the play, even saying something bad about the play would've been better than not even noticing it.... but then again, the dresses were obviously better than the play even if Sweetie Belle did do a fantastic job on it. So im not even going to count that.

And with that, I declare this episode ONE of my favorite episodes so far, along with Maud Pie, Rainbow Falls, Pinkie Apple Pie, Pinkie Pride, and Filli Vanilli (not in that order)

Edited by applejackson007

You know, the problem i always had with Sisterhooves Social is that Rarity is always portrayed as the only one who was wrong, she sure did things she should have handled a different way, but so did Sweetie, and somehow that gets almost never mentioned.

Something that ALSO often gets ignored is that Rares and Sweeties PARENTS are the ones who are really to blame. They just dumped Sweets on Rarity without telling her that they would go on vacation. Rarity had no time for preparing herself, Her parents could have just asked if she even had time for babysitting, seeing how a busy mare she is.

Showing up on Rares doorstep und dumping Sweets there and basically saying "We are going to vacation, couldn't be bothered to tell you beforehand, we don't care that you have to work hard to make a living. See ya later, ololol!" shoes not very much respect for Rares and Sweetie.

Im sure Rarity would have had no problem with babysitting Sweets, but why didn't they ask her a week before?

Edited by Obsidian Sky
  • Brohoof 1

You know, the problem i always had with Sisterhooves Social is that Rarity is always portrayed as the only one who was wrong, she sure did things she should have handled a differend way, but so did Sweetie, and somehow that gets almost never mentioned.

Something that ALSO often gets ignored is that Rares and Sweeties PARENTS are the ones who are really to blame. They just dumped Sweets on Rarity without telling her that they would go on vacation. Rarity had no time for preparing herself, Her parents could have just asked if she even had time for babysitting, seeing how a busy mare she is.

Showing up on Rares doorstep und dumping Sweets there and basically saying "We are going to vacation, couldn't be bothered to tell you beforehand, we don't care that you have to work hard to make a living. See ya later, ololol!" shoes not very much respect for Rares and Sweetie.

Im sure Rarity would have had no problem with babysitting Sweets, but why didn't they ask her a week before?

Hey now, Sisterhooves Social is an excellent showcase of her generosity :D

In the end, she went and got covered in mud and ran a race to make up her wrongdoings to her sister in the form of all the yelling that was done.

And, if you click my headcanon link in my sig, the problem with her parents is in my headcanon :D

Now, this:

Rarity is always portrayed as the only one who was wrong, she sure did things she should have handled a differend way, but so did Sweetie, and somehow that gets almost never mentioned.

And that's the point I was making here in my defense; they were both in the wrong, maybe Rarity a little more so (but she made up for it in end, remember? :D ) in Sisterhooves Social.

In this episode, Sweetie Belle was entirely in the wrong, and the fact that someone would compare this episode to Sisterhooves Social, where they were both in the wrong, would imply that they were both in the wrong in this episode, which is false, and I believe anyone who watched this episode should concur with my line of reasoning.

Sibling bickering between the same two siblings is the common bond between these two episodes, nothing more, nothing less; other than that, they are completely different.

• Brohoof 1

Just watched it, it was a pretty awesome episode.

I was hoping to hear Luna sing but, oh well.

Also, the title of the episode, being a Metallica fan...I really liked the title itself.

Classic sibling bickering in this episode...I've experienced it MANY times, being the oldest of 3.

Just an all around good episode.

Edited by xFlutterdash
  • Brohoof 1

Hey now, Sisterhooves Social is an excellent showcase of her generosity :D

In the end, she went and got covered in mud and ran a race to make up her wrongdoings to her sister in the form of all the yelling that was done.

I know. I was not trying to attack your opinion there, or someting like that. Did not want to make it sound that way. I just felt the need to mention that i think the biggest culprits in Sisterhooves where their parents. That is something that i feel is seldom mentioned.

I liked the episode very much, and always thought that Rarity doing something she hates so much, like that mud diving, was a really generous thing.

• Brohoof 1

I know. I was not trying to attack your opinion there, or someting like that. Did not want to make it sound that way. I just felt the need to mention that i think the biggest culprits in Sisterhooves where their parents. That is something that i feel is seldom mentioned.

I liked the episode very much, and always thought that Rarity doing something she hates so much, like that mud diving, was a really generous thing.

No worries, brah :D I didn't take it that way :D

Luna is best Ghost Of Christmas Yet To Come.

No, I'm best ghost >_<

• Brohoof 2

Very good episode.

Fast paced, great visuals, continuity nods, Luna was not overbearing and was used as needed, I felt for Sweetie even though she was being unreasonable, I was happy when she succeeded in saving her sister, Rarity was used well, some good subversive gags.

Loved it.

If I had a complaint, I guess it could be blunt in a few areas (particularly those clumsy exposition drops at the start.

Edited by Whatevs

Wow, that episode was a bit more emotional than I thought it'd be. Sweetie Belle really has some anger issues that she needs to sort out. She was still adorable though.

LUNA. THANK YOU LORD FOR BLESSING US WITH HER PRESENCE. Seriously, it was great to finally see the perfection that is Luna.

It seems like they might make this a trend, Luna coming to the CMC's in their dreams, offering advice. I like that  idea, it gives Luna  more depth. But I don't want them to make it her permanent role. I'd like more Luna based episodes. Hell, I'd love Luna only episodes. But I really liked her in this one, because she can relate so well to Sweetie Belle.

I feel very bad for Rarity too. She wants nothing more than her sister to succeed. As a Rarity fan, that aspect made me a little upset how she was treated.

Still though, this was pretty good development for Sweetie.