Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Jan animations shut down by hasbro/C&D

M'aiq the Liar

The reason this is happening is because of our fucking ancient copyright laws. Copyright laws around the world are not suited for the modern age. I personally think that any use of material, as long as it does not have a negative influence on the market of the product, should be legal. Exceptions made for negative commentary/criticism. This way, things like PMV's, Button Mash's Adventures, ETC would all be perfectly legal, but selling an episode would obviously not be legal, nor would reposting an entire episode (not legal now either, but it happens.) I'd love to be able to use any track in my videos and have everything legally sorted, but artists often don't have the time to read through my requests, even though they'd probably love me to use it. For now, I need to stick to doing stuff that I know is allowed, like music by Monstercat.

I would agree, except that this likely had nothing to do with copyright law.

A large number of JanAnimations' videos featured Sweetie Belle. Sweetie Belle's name is trademarked. One of the requirements of having a trademark is that the holder of that mark must defend it legally when they see it to be used by someone else and can identify that person. If they don't defend it, they could lose the trademark, which is a lot more valuable than one fan making videos.

That's the law that sank it, and it was actually kind of predictable.