Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Jan animations shut down by hasbro/C&D

M'aiq the Liar

>entertainment not being personal

>wut.avi.jpeg.mov

And if you look at the original post, the VA for button mash knows they could fight it, but due to hasbro blacklisting those who challenge them, they enforce a "sit down and shut up" policy if you want to work in animation after receiving a C&D from them.

I'm sorry but as someone who was planning a career in corporate law, before changing my mind and becoming a teacher instead, I feel very strongly about intellectual property!

I'm sorry but as someone who was planning a career in corporate law, before changing my mind and becoming a teacher instead, I feel very strongly about intellectual property!

The issue at large is that they were in the right, they did not violate law. But they cannot argue their position, as doing so would blacklist them, and prevent them from having a successful future in animation. Hasbro is essentially running things like a mafia.

• Brohoof 3

Hasbro loves screwing with the fans. I think a bunch of bronies need to come together and donate tons of money to a cause that would buy the rights to MLP from Habro and make in entirely a fan based animation that does not have these restrictive money grabbing creativity stomping laws that big corporations love to take advantage against the little guy who is not even making money from the actual fan made animation.

There are an estimated 14 million+ bronies worldwide and growing and if each one donated $1 it would be a large sum of money that could buy out the rights to MLP and make it either an internet based show or a series on YouTube that would still have the same voice actors and possible animators like Jan on the team. Also it would be a show by the fans for the fans and would be more friendly to the brony community in terms of fan made work.

I understand this will never likely happen but many can dream.

I hate Hasbro and its greedy bully like behaviors to animators and other fans that produce content to the enjoyment of this fandom. Without us MLP would have been cancelled after Season two IMOP. The Bronies are the shows lifeblood and I believe that we are one of the main reasons why the show is still alive and Hasbro is making money off it.

I'm gonna keep saying this. Hasbro are simply protecting their products, nothing more.

The issue at large is that they were in the right, they did not violate law. But they cannot argue their position, as doing so would blacklist them, and prevent them from having a successful future in animation. Hasbro is essentially running things like a mafia.

Oh man, and I've always LOVED the mafia -sniffle- Al Capone baby..

Jan could probably just recolour the ponies in the Videos and boom.

Hasbro can't do anything anymore because that isn't button.. its a totally original oc that totally isn't button at all.

• Brohoof 1

Jan could probably just recolour the ponies in the Videos and boom.

Hasbro can't do anything anymore because that isn't button.. its a totally original oc that totally isn't button at all.

No, they couldn't. If it looks like something that originated from FIM, you're still liable! Even if it is an OC. Edited by Pinkie Perry

That kind of makes you a tiny bit of a Nazi... though you have a point on Tiarawhy, you'd think they'd have gone for that first. But then again he's got stuff based elsewhere, theres no real way of stopping his stuff outside of youtube..

No, commiting genocide and/or advocating race-based eugenics would make me a Nazi. Please don't devalue the monstrosity of those people by comparing people like me to them. What I am is a narcissistic asshole with anger problems - not a Nazi.

Also Tiarawhy is female. Nonetheless, I'd love it if her vile trolling BS was stamped out for good. Still I don't hate her near as much as I do the FiW people.

Edited by Hawk Moth
  • Brohoof 1

No, they couldn't. If it looks like something that originated from FIM, you're still liable! Even if it is an OC.

They've have to prove it first. If the animation never mentions anything from the show or shows no locations from the show then it is NOT FiM.

No, they couldn't. If it looks like something that originated from FIM, you're still liable! Even if it is an OC.

Well in that case, let's all just stop creating fan-made anything.

Oh what a colorless world you live in... 

Do you not even understand that most original works were INSPIRED by fan-work!?

No, commiting genocide and/or advocating race-based eugenics would make me a Nazi. Please don't devalue the monstrosity of those people by comparing people like me to them. What I am is a narcissistic asshole with anger problems - not a Nazi.

I did say "tiny bit". Maybe the Gastapo getting folks to rat on people might have been more accurate?? 

• Brohoof 1

I'm gonna keep saying this. Hasbro are simply protecting their products, nothing more.

From what? From fanwork which brings more bronies who then buy their products? If you take a look at some other fandoms like Star Trek, you will see that fans do big projects similar to JanAnimations and they don't get taken down. 

Edited by TheWiseHippo
  • Brohoof 2

They've have to prove it first. If the animation never mentions anything from the show or shows no locations from the show then it is NOT FiM.

They wouldn't need to. The animation is in the same style of FIM, and uses a cartoon pony. That's all the courts would need to issue a C&D order.

okay, by your logic, then I shouldn't see all these chinese knock off toys that have accurate images of the character with a different name? news for you bud, they're all over the shop

• Brohoof 3

From what? From fanwork which brings more bronies who then buy their products? If you take a look at some other fandoms like Star Trek, you will see that fans do big projects like JanAnimations and they don't get taken down.

Alot of these products, such as the stuff sold at conventions are completely unofficial.

You can't copyright a style of animation. Places, names, character designs, sure. Thats like someone making a stop motion animation with clay models and being C&D by ardman animatons.

Edited by Malinter

And seriously, not everyone can just fork over hundreds to thousands of dollars for copyright approval. Just like how people can't afford to pay for itunes or netflix or cable, so they rely on youtube or other websites that can FREELY entertain the public.

But even these days, youtube is becoming a stick in the mud thanks to Google. I just don't see anything wrong with people who truly love something compassionately, put their talents towards a specific entertainment, and get penalized because they can't afford permission. 

Edited by Celestial Wish

okay, by your logic, then I shouldn't see all these chinese knock off toys that have accurate images of the character with a different name? news for you bud, they're all over the shop

Yes, but because China has no copyright laws, you can do as you please over there, and Hasbro can't do a thing about it.

And seriously, not everyone can just fork over hundreds to thousands of dollars for copyright approval. Just like how people can't afford to pay for itunes or netflix or cable, so they rely on youtube or other websites that can FREELY entertain the public.

But even these days, youtube is becoming a stick in the mud thanks to Google. I just don't see anything wrong with people who truly love something compassionately, put their talents towards a specific entertainment, and get penalized because they can afford permission.

You can now, and that is how they control you. Only they are allowed to show you. only they are allowed to tell you. only they are allowed to teach you. Because you cannot afford to do it yourself.

You can now, and that is how they control you. Only they are allowed to show you. only they are allowed to tell you. only they are allowed to teach you. Because you cannot afford to do it yourself.

Yeah and that contradicts all the freedom laws in the WORLD.

• Brohoof 1

But even these days, youtube is becoming a stick in the mud thanks to Google. I just don't see anything wrong with people who truly love something compassionately, put their talents towards a specific entertainment, and get penalized because they can afford permission.

I'm sorry, but tough. If you can't afford to participate in the fandom, then you can't afford it. It gives you no right to illegally download/stream videos. ( which is a form of theft, by the way.)

yes, but once imported, Hasbro has ever right to take them from the shelves

And they do! To be honest I've never seen any proper copycat FIM products.

• Brohoof 1

I did say "tiny bit". Maybe the Gastapo getting folks to rat on people might have been more accurate??

People have been snitching on others since the birth of language, yet you choose to call me a Nazi. Also the Gestapo were less notorious for advocating snitching; a more apt analogy would have been to call me an East German Stasi agent - who were truly legendary buzzkills. Sorry for splitting hairs, but it's something that really bothers me when everyone gets called a Nazi to the point where the word means nothing.
  • Brohoof 2