Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Naming your child after a character on the show.

Azureth

I don’t see why not, I certainly would:

I wouldn’t want an ordinary names if I was to father a child: I like to be original with my choices and not just do the same old boring thing everyone else does. So to me Sarah or Rebecca or something as far as names go don’t cut it, too ordinary and common.

I think Rarity, Pinkemena (however it’s spelt) Cadence, Zecora and Twilight are really nice names, and they sound unique and I don’t think too eccentric,and to none bronys just sound like unique and cool names.

Edited by Asherdangerdash
  • Brohoof 1

Unless you name them Cadence or Belle (and then call them Sweetie as a nickname), then this is not a good idea. It could hurt a child's chances for a career if their name is "Shining Armor" or "Twilight Sparkle". Its just like how many of the more over the top names in urban neighborhoods (Laquisha comes to mind) hurt kids chances of getting a good job. 

• Brohoof 2

It is rather interesting to name your child after characters in shows in general.

Like many people said before me, Cadence (or Cadenza), Rarity, Lyra, and Luna could pass as names for children. It isn't too obtrusive and weird sounding and I don't think many people would make fun of your kid for having that name.

In terms of male characters, let's just say you're going to be very limited in naming your son. The only good names that I can think of our Joe (Pony Joe) and Gustav (the French Griffon from Mystery on the Friendship Express).

Actually, now that I think about it Angel sounds like a good name too. I guess that bunny can be useful after all. I still can't forgive him for the way he treated Fluttershy back in S2  :blush:

No, I wouldn't name my child after an MLP character.

I plan on adopting in the future, anyway.

Hmmm...Maybe, but most likely I probably will just take the core elements from that certain pony character and find/create names that symbolizes the element (including, but not limited to the Elements of Harmony)

I actually think Rainbow would be a really nice name for a girl. Zecora isn't a bad name either. Some names like Twilight, Pinkie, etc. are a little different for a person but they aren't that bad. I've seen much worse

Edited by Rivendare

If i was a adult i would probaly name my kids after the show but yeah they might be teased and bullied from it.I was once bullied and if i ever am a adult who has kids i would not want them too become bullied like i did when i got too a new school since me and my famliy moved but i was a kid then but I'm a 16 year's old and it's my dads birthday today but its only 1:21am right now.

Rarity and Candance are deffiantly good names for girl kids.

Edited by Felicia
  • Brohoof 1

I'd totally name my daughter Trixie. And it would be a requirement that for Halloween, she always goes as a magician, wearing a purple hat and cape.

"But I wanna be a princess!"  :angry:

"Who do you think you are? Twilight SPARKLE?"  :eww:

:(

"Good, then it's settled. The Great and Powerful Trixie it is!" *crazed laugh*  :umad:

Edited by The Mane-iac
  • Brohoof 7

• 2 months later...

I can see myself giving a child of mine a middle name the name of a character or a nickname but I am not sure of first name...Yes no maybe so.. I probably would end up doing it if aloud to xD

• Brohoof 1

If you ask me, names are a big deal. It's a permanent branding (of figurative sorts) for your child ('til they turn 18 and they get to change it). It's an identity for them they are stuck with. On a level, the child and the name become one. And why choose a name for a child anyway that's based in MLP? Everytime you call your child's name you will be reminded of some show. I think a name should sort of "belong" to the child.

I don't mind it if you choose a normal name for your child like Cadence or Luna, but if anyone names their kid Twilight Sparkle.... :(

My friend is going to name their son Anakin and I've been too nice to tell them up-front that it's a horrible idea.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Octavia, Macintosh, Joe, Luna, Babs (short for Barbara), Suri, Trixie, Fleur, Maud, Matilda, Will, Angel, Wynona, Jeff, Lily.

I could see all of those as names.

Edited by Jeric
  • Brohoof 1

I really don't think it would be a good idea, I mean, the child could get bullied by it, embarrassed, and what not, if anything, I think using one of the shows names could be used as a middle name, but anything more, then no, just no.

"Hey! What's your name?"

"Applejack! You?"

"Wait..... What?" *backs away slowly*

I think it would be a great, fantastic idea. Seriously, I don't think people care about someone having an unusual name as much as some people seem to think. No, a girl is not going to get bullied at school because of being named Rarity, that's stupid—well, okay, there's a chance she might but then there's a chance she might get bullied for a million other things! There's also an equal chance that everyone will think it's an awesome name and she might be super popular and not bullied at all. Names are supposed to be unique, anyways, so that the person can be distinguished from other people, and if you name your child something that is an already very very popular name so that they'll be tons of other people in their class with that name, you have failed at fulfilling the purpose of naming, and that, to me, is a lot worse than naming a kid after a pony.

• Brohoof 1

cadance is actually a name, so thats good... still, i would burst out laughing if someone introduced themselves as twilight sparkle.

and applejack is a drink..... then again i know someone called brandy champagne, so i cant judge. :umad:

It depends on what name you use. Diamond Tiara is not a very good name for your new born son. But Macintosh would work swimmingly. So I could see it working so long as you do not use the more "Equestrian" of pony names. Like applejack, or Rainbow dash (yes I know one already exists) or Twilight Sparkle. But names like Octavia and Trixie are fairly normal names in most western world areas.

Oh, and no naming your kids after Fan characters. someone already did this in naming their kid "nyx" after the fan made filly reincarnation of NMM. If you are going for a pony name, I'd avoid oc's.

• Brohoof 1