Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was Sombra a psychopath?

Mywas

A Phsychopath is a person who lacks emotional connection such as empathy and love to others. Sombra didn't seem to care about anyone but himself and took enjoyment in tormenting the crystal Ponies. So maybe When Celestia said that he has a "Heart that is as black as night" she Meant that He was born with a disorder?

• Brohoof 1

I don't think he was a psychopath.

If he was, then that classifies all the villains in MLP as psychotic because they all had the same goal.

I just know my OC is completely insane.

post-14906-0-69920800-1395886124_thumb.jpgpost-14906-0-67356600-1395886163_thumb.jpg

eevee eevee eevee eevee eevee eevee.

((translation: I think he was just power hungry as he did not cause physical damage to other ponies))

So maybe When Celestia said that he has a "Heart that is as black as night" she Meant that He was born with a disorder?

I was on board with you until this last part.

I don't think Sombra has a disorder, he's just a black hearted nut, lol.

I was on board with you until this last part.

I don't think Sombra has a disorder, he's just a black hearted nut, lol.

By A Disorder I didn't mean insane like The Joker but rather that he is not capable of certian emotion such as empathy. Like Lord Voldemort or Red Skull

When you're described to have a heart black as night, that does seem to be the case.

By A Disorder I didn't mean insane like The Joker but rather that he is not capable of certian emotion such as empathy. Like Lord Voldemort or Red Skull

You think Sombra was evil, check out Tirek from G1. He was a demon!

You think Sombra was evil, check out Tirek from G1. He was a demon!

He also wanted to turn innocent ponies into the four horses of the apocalypse.  You know, for kids!

• 4 months later...
  • 7 years later...
On 2014-03-26 at 10:09 PM, The Wife of Rengoku said:

I don't think he was a psychopath.

If he was, then that classifies all the villains in MLP as psychotic because they all had the same goal.

I just know my OC is completely insane.

post-14906-0-69920800-1395886124_thumb.jpgpost-14906-0-67356600-1395886163_thumb.jpg

Psychopaths are not crazy. They're fully aware of what they do and of the consequences of their actions

Psychopaths are completely aware of reality while psychotic people are polar opposites; they hear voices, hallucinate, suffer from violent and/or delusional episodes and often do not fully understand what they are doing.

Sociopath
  • Make it clear they do not care how others feels

• Behave in hot-headed and impulsive ways

• Prone to fits of anger and rage

• Recognize what they are doing but rationalize their behavior

• Cannot maintain a regular work and family life

• Can form emotional attachments, but it is difficult

Psychopath
  • Pretend to care

• Display cold-hearted behavior

• Fail to recognize other people's distress

• Have relationships that are shallow and fake

• Maintain a normal life as a cover for criminal activity

• Fail to form genuine emotional attachments

• May love people in their own way

High functioning: The cold-hearted and, in theory, more dangerous kind of social predator. If a villain is consistently apathetic towards other people's feelings, but is capable of using a façade to blend in with society, you are usually left with a high functioning psychopath. These kind of psychopaths maintain high impulse control and are able to recognize the consequences of their actions, but are generally more cunning, calculating and manipulative. They exercise superficial charm to adapt to society and tend to be expert liars. When committing wrongdoings, they may plan them in advance to avoid getting caught easily or at least carry them out when in a situation where they are guaranteed to not get caught. Though they try to make themselves look normal to the public, they are often emotionally hollow, callous, possess a grandiose sense of entitlement and care little for anyone but themselves, seeing people as tools to use for their own benefit. However, this does not mean that every psychopath is villainous; in fact, psychopaths in real-life may be people living completely normal lives and, in fiction, some may even be heroic (though as anti-heroes). Dimentio, Emperor Palpatine, Light Yagami, Tom Marvolo Riddle, Louis Bloom, Amy Elliot-Dunne, Douma and Roose Bolton are examples. In the uncommon cases where a psychopath redeems himself/herself, he/she is almost always from the high functioning type.

Low functioning: Usually, low functioning psychopaths do not conform to basic social standards. They are eager to flaunt their pride, act on destructive impulse and have very little regard for the consequences of their actions. As such, these variants are hot-headed villains who seemingly live without shame and may or may not bring harm to others or themselves depending on the circumstances of their situation through careless misdeeds. While minor symptoms of a high functioning psychopath may be present in a low functioning one, such as a constant need for stimulation, grandiose self-importance or habitual lying, these kinds of psychopaths do not usually hide behind a façade and easily become openly hostile (if not, violent) when things are not going their way. If caught or confronted for committing villainous deeds, it is very easy for them to show no genuine remorse or outright refuse to accept responsibility for their actions. Examples include Ramsay Bolton, Joffrey Baratheon, Zorin Blitz, Dandy Mott, Muscular, Lord Djibril, Kitazaki, Charlie Walker and Montgomery de la Cruz. 

so king sombra might be an psychopath

Edited by Scootaloo9074090

Definitely not if comic canon has any say, and we just might get some say soon. But even just judging the one-note villain he is in the show, no, he is not a psychopath. Psychopaths always believe that they have complex, justifiable reasons for being devoid of empathy. If all it takes to be a psychopath in the world of MLP is to just be a villain lacking personality and a backstory, that's all the unreformed villains we're talking. 

Enjoying the suffering of others, also known as being sadistic, does not necessarily equal psychopathy, nor does lack of empathy equal psychopathy. Rather, these symptoms could be signs of several potential mental health disorders, such as narcissistic personality disorder, antisocial personality disorder, or sadism.

With that said, we don't actually know if Sombra enjoyed the suffering of others. I mean, we know he controlled the crystal ponies and used them for his personal gain as slaves, but there is no sign of him deriving enjoyment from doing it. The fact that he did that though means he lacked empathy, so that is certain. I don't believe he is a psychopath though; rather, I believe he is a malignant narcissist with his egotistic behavior in season 9.

On 2021-09-14 at 6:41 AM, CloudMistDragon said:

Psychopaths always believe that they have complex, justifiable reasons for being devoid of empathy.

I'm not sure if all psychopaths are that way, but I do know that the villains often see themselves as the heroes or as having good and justifiable intentions.

On 2021-09-14 at 6:41 AM, CloudMistDragon said:

If all it takes to be a psychopath in the world of MLP is to just be a villain lacking personality and a backstory, that's all the unreformed villains we're talking. 

Lack of personality and lack of a backstory are rather illogical reasons to believe that one is a psychopath.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2021-09-19 at 9:52 PM, EpicEnergy said:

Enjoying the suffering of others, also known as being sadistic, does not necessarily equal psychopathy, nor does lack of empathy equal psychopathy. Rather, these symptoms could be signs of several potential mental health disorders, such as narcissistic personality disorder, antisocial personality disorder, or sadism.

With that said, we don't actually know if Sombra enjoyed the suffering of others. I mean, we know he controlled the crystal ponies and used them for his personal gain as slaves, but there is no sign of him deriving enjoyment from doing it. The fact that he did that though means he lacked empathy, so that is certain. I don't believe he is a psychopath though; rather, I believe he is a malignant narcissist with his egotistic behavior in season 9.

I'm not sure if all psychopaths are that way, but I do know that the villains often see themselves as the heroes or as having good and justifiable intentions.

Lack of personality and lack of a backstory are rather illogical reasons to believe that one is a psychopath.

Psychopaths are not crazy. They're fully aware of what they do and of the consequences of their actions

Psychopaths are completely aware of reality while psychotic people are polar opposites; they hear voices, hallucinate, suffer from violent and/or delusional episodes and often do not fully understand what they are doing.

Sociopath
  • Make it clear they do not care how others feels

• Behave in hot-headed and impulsive ways

• Prone to fits of anger and rage

• Recognize what they are doing but rationalize their behavior

• Cannot maintain a regular work and family life

• Can form emotional attachments, but it is difficult

Psychopath
  • Pretend to care

• Display cold-hearted behavior

• Fail to recognize other people's distress

• Have relationships that are shallow and fake