Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are you scared of needles?

Legacy Dash

129 users have voted

1. 1. Needles?

• Scared of them.
    • Ok with 'em.
    • Love 'em <3

I hate them too. It doesn't matter how many shots I've gotten I can never get over my fear. The last time I had to get a shot I was pretty much crying and shaking by the time it was done. You have no idea how hard it was to just sit still and let them do it.

It makes me feel like a real wimp sometimes, but I just can't get over it. I'm terrified of needles and it takes all my willpower to not just get out of the chair and run when I need to get a shot.

Well I'm not the only one who often tears up a lil,

I get so afraid when I think about the doctor messing up somehow. Like if they poke it in the wrong place or accidentally twist it.

But thank goodness that never happens.

I have a reason to hate needles...

When I was about 8 I got a shot. The nurse wasn't particularly skilled and... well... the needle repeatedly scrapped against bone. That feeling is something I'll never forget.

Getting stuck isn't bad, and donating blood is good for both you and society, but that experience was scarring to me. I've had a lot of blood drawn and I have great veins for it. The probing around for a vein isn't too bad either. A bit uncomfortable is all. But any time a needle goes in, I have to struggle to suppress my vagal response. Once it's in, I'm fine. I don't like it, but I can deal with IVs and the like. I've even been getting allergy shots, which has helped desensitized me. Maybe someday I can start donating blood. As a universal donor, I really should. And so should you!

If you have a problem, my technique is simple: take a deep breath and tense up; then let it out, relax, and let you mind be blank. You only need a second or two, and then it's over. If it's an IV or something, try not to look at or think about it. Maybe bring a story to tell, even if no one but you listens. It's also an excellent time to practice relaxation techniques :P

I have always been scared of needles or anything that can pierce the skin. I know they don't usually hurt that bad, but I think it's just the thought of it going through the skin. I guess I'm just a little squeamish, I don't know. Whatever it is, I can't bring myself to give blood, get flu shots, or anything that involves needles.

I know this is random but am I? or do I just creep out for nothing? you guys may get me over my fear so do you guys hate them? or is it just me?

There was already a thread on this topic here, so I merged yours with it. Please be sure to search for existing threads before making new ones.

I used to be a bit nervous around sharp or pointy objects, but after i underwent a surgery, followed by a recovery period that involved FOUR needles and tubes attached to me (two draining blood from a wound, one feeding me with IV fluid, and one in my lower back which injected painkillers in case i needed them) - i kind of got used to em'.

Edited by Terminus

Needles don't scare me one bit. I don't even feel it anymore when I have to get a shot.

I even enjoy getting shots at the doctor's office due to the empowering nature of overcoming fear. I used to be terrified of needles when I was younger, and now they don't bother me at all.

I'm not sure how I got over this fear. I think it was a combination of becoming older and experiencing far worse things. Once I ended up with a few horrible experiences under my belt it became far more difficult for stuff like this to get to me anymore.

Holy Celestia, yaaaas.

I hate getting shots, but when I got my blood drawn back in February I almost fainted. I was so scared and nervous. I had to blast Miley Cyrus in my ears to somewhat calm down. But once that IV went in my arm was twitching like crazy. I could feel it in my arm. I wanted to cry. It left a crazy bruise... :(

And then when I went in for surgery I had to get a numbing shot because I hate getting the IV, I'd rather get a shot. The lady had to do it like three times and the iv still wouldn't go in. So another nurse came back and was about to give my another numbing shot. But I was like 'ahhh heeeellll no.' So I scrambled to get my moms attention and held onto her arm in panic.

Needles scare the hay out of me. :(

• Brohoof 1

You're looking at the person who's been donating blood since his sophomore year in high school. (Over five years of it.)

So I'm pretty okay around needles.

Edited by TheDarkMysteryMan
  • Brohoof 2

I have no problems at all with hypodermics. In fact, a nurse once laughed because I said it looked cool when she drew some blood and I watched it just pour up into the tube. Oh, they don't hurt either. 

B)

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

We're in pain from various things all the time. A tiny itch that becomes a tiny scratch that becomes a larger scratch that becomes a gaping sore. So what's one needle?

A needle is at least a real tangible source of pain. Tiny pains that just erupt on the body for no conceivable reason don't have much of a source. If someone isn't afraid of those, then why would a theoretically beneficial needle be of much concern?

I'm not too concerned with needles. Have you ever been stabbed by a sparrow? As in they just fly right up to you and don't make any attempt at stopping. A sparrow can embed itself right into you without warning.

It's how I got my first pet sparrow. Maybe I'm kidding, maybe I'm not.

@@Mitchfizz05, I imagined your avatar was saying your original post with that exact face and I spent more time laughing than I should have.

I think I have the same amount of uneasiness around needles as most people do, but when push comes to shove, I'll get it done. One or two seconds of pain is probably worth it for the lack of flu I'll have after that.

• Brohoof 1