Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming The Official Sonic the Hedgehog Thread

Adorkable

I've always preferred Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog to Satam. I love it's cartoony nature and Sonic is written way better. He fits the world far more than Satam's Sonic.

But maybe I'm biased because Satam is just a poor man's Archie comics. <.< >.>

I won't lie, Satma did cater more to the archie comics as far as looks and story. The dark gritty atmosphere makes it interesting and compelling to the story they tell. It made sense and had more adult topics involved without making far too dark.

Adventures on the other hand was more jarring and loopy. It was a great cartoon for kids but as far as a plot, it seemed kinda confusing and nonsensical.

• Brohoof 1

I won't lie, Satma did cater more to the archie comics as far as looks and story. The dark gritty atmosphere makes it interesting and compelling to the story they tell. It made sense and had more adult topics involved without making far too dark.

Adventures on the other hand was more jarring and loopy. It was a great cartoon for kids but as far as a plot, it seemed kinda confusing and nonsensical.

Satam's seriousness has nothing on the actual comics either though. Compared to them they feel like a cheap knock-off.

As for Adventures' plot...well it's actually as simple as the original game: Eggman is trying to ruin/take over the planet. The various episodes are just singular instances of that, much like a Looney Tunes episode. It plays out in a way where Robotnik will essentially never be beaten because it would mean the end when they could make more at any time. (Not that they will, but that's the idea)

• Brohoof 2

Honestly I like Satam better than Sonic Adventures, because of the seriousness, and yeah I would agree here:

I'll admit that Sonic Adventures is very silly and has no interesting plot developments, however it pulls off being a simple children's cartoon very well, this makes it enjoyable enough to watch at least occasionally. So I like both Sonic Adventure and SatAM.

Have any of you guys seen Sonic Underground? What's your opinion on it?

• Brohoof 2

I haven't seen any Sonic cartoons other than Boom. I've heard and read up on the other shows, though.

Wasn't Underground the one that got cancelled? I remember there was something about a character that was supposed to be returning or something, but that never happened, as the show got the boot. Maybe I'm mistaken.

• Brohoof 2

I've never watched Adventures or Saturday Morning. Those are too old for me unfortunately. I had just come to the USA when Flintstones and Jetsons were finishing their runs. They were most likely already reruns. Sonic was running at similar times and I was able to watch for about a month if that. I've watched Underground on it's short run recently, but it didn't stay around long.

As far as the original Genesis games, I never actually owned 1 and 2. I was renting out both of them, or just 1 I forget now. I wasted days trying to get past the underwater level, but as soon as I got to it I quickly lost all my lives no matter how many I had. I HATE underwater levels and always lose a lot of lives in them, but nothing has been so hard or confusing as the underwater level in sonic 1. Sonic 2 I played at a friend's house and she let me borrow it for a day. I didn't get to play much and then had to return it. I seem to recall renting it a couple of times but beyond locking on with Knuckles for a minute to see what it was about when he's put in there I didn't do much. The lack of a save feature in 1 and 2 killed it for me. I could never beat them in one sitting. As opposed to 3 & Knuckles which I did 100% two times on all three characters.   

Edited by bronislav84
  • Brohoof 2

Honestly I like Satam better than Sonic Adventures, because of the seriousness, and yeah I would agree here:

I'll admit that Sonic Adventures is very silly and has no interesting plot developments, however it pulls off being a simple children's cartoon very well, this makes it enjoyable enough to watch at least occasionally. So I like both Sonic Adventure and SatAM.

Have any of you guys seen Sonic Underground? What's your opinion on it?

I've seen a little of underground but I was never as dedicated to it as Adventures and Satam. Sonic Underground was decent but it kind hit along the lines of Adventures as a kids kinda cartoon more.

I haven't seen any Sonic cartoons other than Boom. I've heard and read up on the other shows, though.

Wasn't Underground the one that got cancelled? I remember there was something about a character that was supposed to be returning or something, but that never happened, as the show got the boot. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Actually yes. Sonic Underground did get canceled but for the reason I don't remember. I also do believe Satam ended on a story cliff hanger. That sucked that we never got to see who the one with the eyes in the bushes was.

I've never watched Adventures or Saturday Morning. Those are too old for me unfortunately. I had just come to the USA when Flintstones and Jetsons were finishing their runs. They were most likely already reruns. Sonic was running at similar times and I was able to watch for about a month if that. I've watched Underground on it's short run recently, but it didn't stay around long.

As far as the original Genesis games, I never actually owned 1 and 2. I was renting out both of them, or just 1 I forget now. I wasted days trying to get past the underwater level, but as soon as I got to it I quickly lost all my lives no matter how many I had. I HATE underwater levels and always lose a lot of lives in them, but nothing has been so hard or confusing as the underwater level in sonic 1. Sonic 2 I played at a friend's house and she let me borrow it for a day. I didn't get to play much and then had to return it. I seem to recall renting it a couple of times but beyond locking on with Knuckles for a minute to see what it was about when he's put in there I didn't do much. The lack of a save feature in 1 and 2 killed it for me. I could never beat them in one sitting. As opposed to 3 & Knuckles which I did 100% two times on all three characters.   

As someone who has seen Adventures and Satam rather avidly, I'd recommend giving them a look up. They are amazing cartoons for their time though allot, if not everyone, agreed on Satam being better. Discordian being one of the few that liked Adventures better, though there is nothing wrong with that.

As for the water level in the first sonic game. You must be referring to everyone's common bane, the Labyrinth Zone. Yeah, allot of people I've heard have really hated that level for it's difficulty. It's one of those levels where you learn from trial and error. I could slip through Labyrinth Zone with fair ease nowadays, but that's because I've learned a few tricks to keeping alive while in the underwater portions especially. I'll not lie though, it's difficulty isn't far too exaggerated.

• Brohoof 2

SatAM got cancelled after it's second season. They left off on a gigantic cliffhanger and it was never really continued. The comics, which are based on SatAM, are still running today but as far as I remember don't even go through the Doomsday Project storyline from the second season of SatAM.

I've seen a little of underground but I was never as dedicated to it as Adventures and Satam. Sonic Underground was decent but it kind hit along the lines of Adventures as a kids kinda cartoon more.

Actually yes. Sonic Underground did get canceled but for the reason I don't remember. I also do believe Satam ended on a story cliff hanger. That sucked that we never got to see who the one with the eyes in the bushes was.

As someone who has seen Adventures and Satam rather avidly, I'd recommend giving them a look up. They are amazing cartoons for their time though allot, if not everyone, agreed on Satam being better. Discordian being one of the few that liked Adventures better, though there is nothing wrong with that.

As for the water level in the first sonic game. You must be referring to everyone's common bane, the Labyrinth Zone. Yeah, allot of people I've heard have really hated that level for it's difficulty. It's one of those levels where you learn from trial and error. I could slip through Labyrinth Zone with fair ease nowadays, but that's because I've learned a few tricks to keeping alive while in the underwater portions especially. I'll not lie though, it's difficulty isn't far too exaggerated.

Not that it wasn't obvious who the red eyes belonged to. :lol:

I wish I had a streaming subscription so I could watch the older shows. Not just Sonic shows. I'm sure there's a bunch of shows I'd watch.

If nothing else you can always buy them.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

Which is your favorite Sonic game?

Sonic Heroes

What are your top 5 favorite Sonic games?

Sonic Heroes, Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic 2

Who's your favorite Sonic character?

Shadow

Who's your top 5 favorite Sonic characters?

Shadow, Espio, Eggman, Sonic, Knuckles

What's your favorite Sonic song?

Team Chaotix

Which was your favorite Sonic cartoon?

Sonic Boom

Thoughts on Sonic Boom?

The game sucks. The show rocks.

Who's your favorite Voice Actor for Sonic?

Jason Griffith, I also like Roger Craig Smith

Who's your favorite Voice Actor for your favorite character?

Jason Griffith

Who is your least favorite Sonic Character?

Cream

Who is your least favorite Sonic Voice Actor?

Tails in Sonic Heroes

When did you become a Sonic fan?

I became a fan when I received Sonic Heroes for Christmas. I was about 7 years old I think.

What is your least favorite Sonic game?

Sonic Boom obviously XD

and last...

What was your first Sonic game?

Sonic Heroes

Edited by MechanicalDoom
  • Brohoof 2

welp might as well post my thoughts on Sonic Boom since it's out now.

Honestly, I'm rather disappointed. The humor in the show's rather bland, and the episodes are rather boring and hard to get through :/

I played the Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal on 3DS in Best Buy, and it was just too slow-paced and boring for my tastes. Rise of Lyric, haven't played, but doesn't look good either.

• Brohoof 1

Sonic Heroes

Sonic Heroes, Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic 2

Shadow

Shadow, Espio, Eggman, Sonic, Knuckles

Team Chaotix

Sonic Boom

Thoughts on Sonic Boom?

The game sucks. The show rocks.

Jason Griffith, I also like Roger Craig Smith

Jason Griffith

Cream

Tails in Sonic Heroes

I became a fan when I received Sonic Heroes for Christmas. I was about 7 years old I think.

Sonic Boom obviously XD

and last...

Sonic Heroes

Team Chaotix is a pretty unusual song to be considered a favorite. Not that I'm bashing you for it. I love the song myself. For a few years the Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog soundtracks were the only things I sang. I had them memorized and would sing while walking to and from school when I had no batteries or headphones for my CD Player.

• Brohoof 1

Team Chaotix is a pretty unusual song to be considered a favorite. Not that I'm bashing you for it. I love the song myself. For a few years the Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog soundtracks were the only things I sang. I had them memorized and would sing while walking to and from school when I had no batteries or headphones for my CD Player.

When I was a kid and heard that song in the Team Chaotix battle, the little kid me was like "Wow! This is so sick!" It's probably my favorite, but I like other songs a lot, too. The Egg Albatross music is great. I also liked Westoplis of all songs.

Edited by MechanicalDoom

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

1) Sonic the Hedgehog 2

2) Sonic 3

3) Sonic Adventure

4) Sonic Adventure 2

5) Sonic Generations

Tails... Tails is OP

1) Tails

2) Sonic

3) Gamma

4) Robotnik

5) Charmy the FUCKING Bee

Sonic SATam

Thoughts on Sonic Boom?

TV show = Okay

Game = doesn't feel like a Sonic game

Ryan Drummond

Corey Bringas.

BIG THE CAT!

Roger Craig Smith

I've been playing Sonic nearly all my life. So yeah...

sonic labyrinth

and last...

Sonic Jam... I think...

How much you guys gonna pay me to fill that out?

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...

welp might as well post my thoughts on Sonic Boom since it's out now.

Honestly, I'm rather disappointed. The humor in the show's rather bland, and the episodes are rather boring and hard to get through :/

I played the Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal on 3DS in Best Buy, and it was just too slow-paced and boring for my tastes. Rise of Lyric, haven't played, but doesn't look good either.

Yeah Sonic Boom is sub-par at best. I mean, what the frack did they do to Knuckles?! He looks like he is on steroids, seriously!

As far as Sonic games go, they really have been nothing other disappointments lately. Nothing is really the same with the Sonic Series anymore. I've seen this Sonic series through and I think that Sonic has been already milked beyond it's worth. It's getting too mainstream. At least Mario still mixes things up a bit.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

1) Sonic the Hedgehog 2

2) Sonic 3

3) Sonic Adventure

4) Sonic Adventure 2

5) Sonic Generations

Tails... Tails is OP

1) Tails

2) Sonic

3) Gamma

4) Robotnik

5) Charmy the FUCKING Bee

Sonic SATam

Thoughts on Sonic Boom?

TV show = Okay

Game = doesn't feel like a Sonic game

Ryan Drummond

Corey Bringas.

BIG THE CAT!

Roger Craig Smith

I've been playing Sonic nearly all my life. So yeah...

sonic labyrinth

and last...

Sonic Jam... I think...

How much you guys gonna pay me to fill that out?

I say awesome! It's really hard to find anyone who still likes the old school. It's mostly new gen bullcrap anymore. I have to say you and I are similar in a lot of sectors there. Though my favorite character's list maybe a bit different but that's not exactly what matters. In anycase, I think when it comes to Sonic, we can only find solace in the Sonic games of the past when it was still a good series and not so crappy. I'm honestly almost on the verge of giving up on Sonic, truthfully.

• Brohoof 1

I've honestly found it harder to find people who like anything but the old ones.

As someone who has always liked new Sonic over old Sonic I find this dismaying.

My apologies if I made it sound that all new sonic stuff is a travesty. I'm just not a big fan of the new stuff. Sure it maybe fun but it's gotten too mainstream and bland, for me anyway. You'er entirely entitled to your opinion. I can at least respect your opinion because you're not in our face about it and spewing out non-sense, like most new gens do.

I've learned that when you're in the minority it's really not worth your time to try to convince others to agree with you.

I've also learned that trying to convince people to agree with you instead of accepting their opinions at face value is an even bigger waste of time.

Love what you love and take no guff from those that try to condemn you for it. Also don't condemn others for differences in opinion. :wub:

Sometimes you may notice that I do get a little uppity about certain things but I assure you I'm never trying to change anyone's opinions on something. If they happen to agree with me or change their minds by listening to what I have to say then that's cool though. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...