Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming The Official Sonic the Hedgehog Thread

Adorkable

Both versions have a horrible imbalance of gameplay in general (75% werehog, Day sections are literally just going fast, Werehog sections are either loads of tricky platforming or loads of waves of enemies etc.) In both versions so it doesn't really matter.

Despite that Unleashed is overall okay, with the HD version edging out due to more content in general.

While I respect your opinion, friend, I do have to point out that the gameplay balance is more around 60% Werehog, and 40% Sonic.

I honestly believe this was intentional, doesn't it makes sense? If SEGA wants a player to try something new, obviously it's going to get the majority of the gameplay.

While still on the subject of Unleashed, I still would like to point out that I feel it has one of the best Stories we've had in a Sonic game in quite a while. ^^

My favorite Sonic game is Sonic Adventure 2: Battle on the Gamecube.

Top 5 Sonic Games:
5. Sonic Generations

4: Sonic Adventure

3: Sonic Unleashed

2: Sonic Colors

1: Sonic Adventure 2: Battle

Who's your favorite Sonic Character?: Shadow the Hedgehog. (He's such a badass!)

Top 5 Sonic Characters:

5: Silver

4: Tails

3: Knuckles

2: Sonic

1: Shadow

Favorite Sonic song: LIVE AND LEARN ALL THE WAY, BABY!

Favorite Sonic Cartoon: Sonic X

Thoughts on Sonic Boom: Looks interesting, I don't know why people are still bitching about the designs, come on people...

Favorite Voice for Sonic: Ryan Drummond, hands down.

Least favorite Sonic Character: Tie between Big the Cat and Cream the Rabbit. (Atleast in Sonic Advance 3 Cream is actually helpful.)

Least favorite Sonic voice actor: Roger Craig Smith (Don't get me wrong, he's great, but is slightly lower then Jason and Drummond.)

When did I become a Sonic Fan? Ever Since the Dreamcast games.

Least favorite Sonic game: Sonic Chronicles: Dark Brotherhood (NDS)

And lastly...

My first Sonic game: Sonic Adventure DX: Directors Cut (GameCube)

That said, I'm the biggest Sonic fan there is.

• Brohoof 1

My favorite Sonic game is Sonic Adventure 2: Battle on the Gamecube.

You know, I find it funny that people redundantly say "Sonic Adventure 2: Battle on the Gamecube. Sonic Adventure 2 is the original game. It was retitled Sonic Adventure 2: Battle when it was rereleased on Gamecube so when you append the "Battle" portion to it everyone should know you're talking about the Gamecube version. It's not necessary to specifically point that out.

But that's just me being nitpicky. :lol:

Thoughts on Sonic Boom: Looks interesting, I don't know why people are still bitching about the designs, come on people...

Because the new designs are obviously an indicator of the quality of the rest of the game. Because we can tell how the game will handle, the music we'll be offered, the world we'll be able to explore and the dialog we'll experience from all that blasted tape. Duh.

Obviously :lol: is obvious

Oh it is on. I think Adorkable and I could give you a run for your money for biggest Sonic fan. Adorkable knows his shit and I've loved everything Sonic way back to the Genesis days and including the cartoons and comics, though my knowledge base is much smaller since I haven't had the money to get everything Sonic in my lifetime. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

You know, I find it funny that people redundantly say "Sonic Adventure 2: Battle on the Gamecube. Sonic Adventure 2 is the original game. It was retitled Sonic Adventure 2: Battle when it was rereleased on Gamecube so when you append the "Battle" portion to it everyone should know you're talking about the Gamecube version. It's not necessary to specifically point that out.

But that's just me being nitpicky. :lol:

Because the new designs are obviously an indicator of the quality of the rest of the game. Because we can tell how the game will handle, the music we'll be offered, the world we'll be able to explore and the dialog we'll experience from all that blasted tape. Duh.

Obviously :lol: is obvious

Oh it is on. I think Adorkable and I could give you a run for your money for biggest Sonic fan. Adorkable knows his shit and I've loved everything Sonic way back to the Genesis days and including the cartoons and comics, though my knowledge base is much smaller since I haven't had the money to get everything Sonic in my lifetime. :lol:

Does he know that Sonic was voiced by Jaleel White in the SATAM cartoon?

Does he know that Sonic's in development name was Mr. Needlemouse?

Does he know that Eggman was ones of the ideas Sega had when they were deciding who to make the new mascot of Sega to replace Alex Kidd?

He was never chosen, but they took his design and made him the antagonist of Sonic the Hedgehog 1.

Does he know that the idea of Sonic's character came from the fact that back then, Yuji Naka was trying to beat world 1-1 of Super Mario Bros. as fast as he could?

Does he know that Sonic was originally brown? And that Sonic's speed shoes were made specifically so they could withstand endless levels of friction? Does he know that the shoes were made by Dr. Eggman himself? (Before a lab accident had turned him into Dr. Eggman/Robotnik, he was known as Dr. Ivo Kintobor) He was the one who made Sonic's shoes, and he was good friends with Sonic before the accident.

(edited)

Does he know that Eggman was ones of the ideas Sega had when they were deciding who to make the new mascot of Sega to replace Alex Kidd?

He was never chosen, but they took his design and made him the antagonist of Sonic the Hedgehog 1.

Does he know that the idea of Sonic's character came from the fact that back then, Yuji Naka was trying to beat world 1-1 of Super Mario Bros. as fast as he could?

Does he know that Sonic was originally brown? And that Sonic's speed shoes were made specifically so they could withstand endless levels of friction? Does he know that the shoes were made by Dr. Eggman himself? (Before a lab accident had turned him into Dr. Eggman/Robotnik, he was known as Dr. Ivo Kintobor) He was the one who made Sonic's shoes, and he was good friends with Sonic before the accident.

Even I know most of that. Except that Sonic was originally brown. I remember the Kintobar thing but I thought that was the comics, not the games. As far as I know the games have never made any sort of reference to the Kintobar family, the fact that the Mobius from the comics is actually a post-apocalyptic world and that there are still humans with the genetics of the originals before the Days of Rage.

Adorkable reads Sonic wikis like crazy. Me? I just play/watch/read the material itself for the most part. :lol:

But one's knowledge of the series is not the only way to be a super fan. ;)

Edited by Discordian
  • Brohoof 1

Even I know most of that. Excep that Sonic was originally brown. I remember the Kintobar thing but I thought that was the comics, not the games. As far as I know the games have never made any sort of reference to the Kintobar family, the fact that the Mobius from the comics is actually a post-apocalyptic world and that there are still humans with the genetics of the originals before the Days of Rage.

Adorkable reads Sonic wikis like crazy. Me? I just play/watch/read the material itself for the most part. :lol:

But one's knowledge of the series is not the only way to be a super fan. ;)

Either way, it seems that the both of us share similar amounts of the knowledge of Sonic lore.

• Brohoof 1

Either way, it seems that the both of us share similar amounts of the knowledge of Sonic lore.

Indeed. Here's to Sonic super fans! :lol:

Anyone else think that SatAM should have lasted longer than it did?

It was supposed to. Obviously there was meant to be another season after the Doomsday Project was taken down. I think there may have been either fanworks or audiobooks or something of the last bit but not entirely sure.

But that's why I like the Archie comics more. They started out the same way but did everything way better than SatAM ever did and are still going to this day.

I never read the Fleetwood comic but I've seen a few other Sonic or Sonic-styled fan comics though. There's an entire webcomic site that has Sonic fan characters or fan comics everywhere. You may have heard of it.

But that's why I like the Archie comics more

Ya I collect the comics and really enjoy them and Im glad the staff works really hard at making the comics the best they can be. I onl wish Sega would utilize the characters more but I guess its for the best that they remain where they are   

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Ya I collect the comics and really enjoy them and Im glad the staff works really hard at making the comics the best they can be. I onl wish Sega would utilize the characters more but I guess its for the best that they remain where they are

There's only been three instances of the comics crossing over into the games. One made it into a released game, the other two did not.

1. Sonic Spinball (Genesis). In the bonus rounds they have tubes that you have to break on a pinball machine with realistic physics rather than the Sonic Spinball physics. In the tubes is characters from the comics/SatAM cartoon. This is the only one that I know of that's made it into an actual game.

2. Amy Rose was originally supposed to be Princess Sally in Sonic CD but they changed it. I forget the reasons why.

3. Have you heard of Sonic Xtreme? An unreleased Sonic game that was supposed to be the original transition for Sonic into a fully 3D realm? Not like 3D blast which is just isometric. Well there were actually multiple concepts for this game before it was ultimately scrapped and Sonic Adventure came out. One of these concepts was a sidescroller based on the SatAM cartoon that was more of a stealth platforming game. It had multiple layers of the level you could move between to hide from the Swatbots. I remember seeing gameplay controlling Sally herself.

I, too, have wished they'd make at least one comic-based Sonic game. It's not likely to ever happen though. Except for some super fans the comics, the games and the cartoons all are their own little subfandoms within the Sonic fandom and don't interact much unless it's to look down on each other and the product they enjoy.

Note: I could be wrong about there only being three instances but if there are others they are likely not very well known. Someone else will have to fill in the gaps for me.

Edited by Discordian
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Least favorite Sonic voice actor: Roger Craig Smith (Don't get me wrong, he's great, but is slightly lower then Jason and Drummond.)

Least favorite Sonic game: Sonic Chronicles: Dark Brotherhood (NDS)

You're not fond of Roger either? Welcome to the club, friend. xD

Also, it's interesting that Sonic Chronicles is your least favorite Sonic. I didn't care for it either, but here's an interesting fact: In this game, Shadow actually admits that Sonic is faster than him. Did you know that? ^^

I completely agree with Discordian. We could certainly provide a great challenge to those who wish to have a battle of Sonic facts. ^^

Being 100% honest, I already knew all of this. In high school, I used to study the Sonic wiki just for fun when I got bored. ^^

Did you know that Dr. Eggman was originally going to be the hero of the Sonic series? And that his design was based off of Theodore Roosevelt in pajamas?

The whole "Sonic originally being brown", I believe, was from the "Sonic the Comic" comic series. I think Sonic used to be Eggman's pet hedgehog, but a freak accident turned him (Eggman) crazy, and Sonic blue and fast. ^^

Edited by Adorkable
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

You're not fond of Roger either? Welcome to the club, friend. xD

Also, it's interesting that Sonic Chronicles is your least favorite Sonic. I didn't care for it either, but here's an interesting fact: In this game, Shadow actually admits that Sonic is faster than him. Did you know that? ^^

I completely agree with Discordian. We could certainly provide a great challenge to those who wish to have a battle of Sonic facts. ^^

Being 100% honest, I already knew all of this. In high school, I used to study the Sonic wiki just for fun when I got bored. ^^

Did you know that Dr. Eggman was originally going to be the hero of the Sonic series? And that his design was based off of Theodore Roosevelt in pajamas?

The whole "Sonic originally being brown", I believe, was from the "Sonic the Comic" comic series. I think Sonic used to be Eggman's pet hedgehog, but a freak accident turned him crazy, and Sonic blue and fast. ^^

Actually, Shadow may very well be faster then Sonic... well, you know, if you apply physics.

I say this because of Shadow's hover shoes, he doesn't have to worry about friction, which makes him faster then Sonic (since they are both the same speed, and Sonic has to worry about friction while Shadow doesn't)

Edited by Shadowking58

Actually, Shadow may very well be faster then Sonic... well, you know, if you apply physics.

I say this because of Shadow's hover shoes, he doesn't have to worry about friction, which makes him faster then Sonic (since they are both the same speed, and Sonic has to worry about friction while Shadow doesn't)

Nope, Sonic is faster than Shadow. He (Shadow) even admitted it in the game. There was a scene where Sonic needed to chase down Shadow, and caught up to him with ease.

You would think after their race/fight in Sonic Adventure 2, they would be the same speed (well, I wouldn't). I've always heard the argument that Shadow is "cheating" because of his rocket shoes, but who are we to question the logic of SEGA? As long as Shadow has admitted that Sonic is faster than him, I have no concern. ^^

Nope, Sonic is faster than Shadow. He (Shadow) even admitted it in the game. There was a scene where Sonic needed to chase down Shadow, and caught up to him with ease.

You would think after their race/fight in Sonic Adventure 2, they would be the same speed (well, I wouldn't). I've always heard the argument that Shadow is "cheating" because of his rocket shoes, but who are we to question the logic of SEGA? As long as Shadow has admitted that Sonic is faster than him, I have no concern. ^^

But to be honest, I doubt Sega even remembers that now, lol

But to be honest, I doubt Sega even remembers that now, lol

Even if they don't, it's canon now. Hopefully future games don't develop loop holes from this. It's SEGA's responsibility to keep up with this kind of stuff.

• Brohoof 1

Even if they don't, it's canon now. Hopefully future games don't develop loop holes from this. It's SEGA's responsibility to keep up with this kind of stuff.

Shadow is still the most badassest character I know, though.

That's why he's my favorite.

Shadow is still the most badassest character I know, though.

That's why he's my favorite.

Assuming you enjoyed Shadow the Hedgehog?

• Brohoof 1

Yep, and Sonic 06, as well... Yeah, I said that

Shadow's story in Sonic 06 was amazing. I loved his White Acropolis level. Felt like a real secret agent mission.

On the note of Shadow...are the rocket shows something he can even take off or are they a part of his being? He's an artificial lifeform so it wouldn't surprise me if he was created with those as his actual feet.

Yep, and Sonic 06, as well... Yeah, I said that

Don't be ashamed, I loved Sonic '06. Yeah, it was a broken game, but I do my best to find enjoyment in every Sonic game.

Also, a little back story; when I was a kid, this was a few years after I became a Sonic fan ('02 or '03), Sonic '06 was the first new Sonic game that I knew about, one that hadn't come out before I found out about it. I was very hyped for this game. I can remember getting an Xbox 360 just to play it, and looking back on the original Xbox 360 box and seeing the little screenshot of Sonic running through Kingdom Valley, the mach speed part. This game looked beautiful. I really didn't know much about it until a few years later, that it was a failed attempt to reboot the series, or everyone hated it, even the fact that people raged over the Elise x Sonic business. i really didn't care, the "gamer" side of my mind was still developing, so I couldn't really tell a good game from a bad one. Overall, I loved this game. The story as interesting, and I got to play as Sonic, that was all that really mattered to me as a kid. I know for a fact that if I were to play it for the first time just now, I would be thinking differently. Sonic is Sonic, that's all I ask. ^^

He's an artificial lifeform so it wouldn't surprise me if he was created with those as his actual feet.

I'll have to look into that, although it wouldn't surprise me if they were actually just his shoes.

Don't be ashamed, I loved Sonic '06. Yeah, it was a broken game, but I do my best to find enjoyment in every Sonic game.

Also, a little back story; when I was a kid, this was a few years after I became a Sonic fan ('02 or '03), Sonic '06 was the first new Sonic game that I knew about, one that hadn't come out before I found out about it. I was very hyped for this game. I can remember getting an Xbox 360 just to play it, and looking back on the original Xbox 360 box and seeing the little screenshot of Sonic running through Kingdom Valley, the mach speed part. This game looked beautiful. I really didn't know much about it until a few years later, that it was a failed attempt to reboot the series, or everyone hated it, even the fact that people raged over the Elise x Sonic business. i really didn't care, the "gamer" side of my mind was still developing, so I couldn't really tell a good game from a bad one. Overall, I loved this game. The story as interesting, and I got to play as Sonic, that was all that really mattered to me as a kid. I know for a fact that if I were to play it for the first time just now, I would be thinking differently. Sonic is Sonic, that's all I ask. ^^

I'll have to look into that, although it wouldn't surprise me if they were actually just his shoes.

Sonic 06 was my first PS3 game. When I got my PS3 I went two weeks (between paychecks) with no games. First game I got was Sonic 06 knowing all the horror stories. Most of them did turn out to be true but my god did I love every second of that game otherwise. I would legit consider it the best Sonic game if it were complete.

Also, Shadowking made a good point about Shadow's shoes: He doesn't have to worry about friction. I think that's a duel-edged sword though. He also can't pick up the friction needed to really accelerate quickly so even if he would be better downhill he wouldn't be able to hit top speed nearly as fast as Sonic.

Where's a physics expert when you need one? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Woah, take it easy guys, it's so active in here. :P

I had a few thoughts & questions I came up with today at work, wanted to hear what you guys thought. Hopefully will bring back some discussion in this wonderful thread.

First off, after replaying Sonic Generations for the nth time recently, it turns out that the Sonic Storybook Series is actually canon. Isn't that interesting? I got a kick out of hearing Sonic mention the Secret Rings game. Although he didn't mention Black Knight, they're still in the same "world".

This was the best source I could find, but Sonic compares the world their in to being no stranger than rescuing genies in magic books.

I was surprised after hearing it again, since Secret Rings and Black Knight have been given their own series title (Sonic Storybook Series), I would think that it wouldn't have an effect on the current and confusing canon. But, it could have been to reference these games, just because it was an anniversary title. However this game is apart of canon, so it's been done.

However, it brings us to the next and frequently asked question, why is Crisis City in Sonic Generations? I've said before that it was because it was an anniversary title, but I'm not that sure as of now. Since the end of Sonic '06 basically erased its own story, Sonic running through the flames of Crisis City with car carrying tornadoes never happened. It's a confusing matter, but I think SEGA knows how confused Sonic's fans are. I've had the thought that SEGA perhaps put Crisis City in this game to somewhat "redeem" a little respect towards the game. It was, however, Sonic's port to HD.

Also, a question I feel has some discussion behind it, where exactly is Classic Sonic from in Sonic Generations?

Oh, also I'd like to share this. I don't know how known it was, but I remember watching this on TV and getting so hyped for it.

Edited by Adorkable
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

How have I just seen this ? Sonic was my childhood! I drew pictures of him all the time, played his games on my Game Gear and Mega Drive and watched this religiously :D

My favourite game was this :D

Edited by Guest

Woah, take it easy guys, it's so active in here. :P

I had a few thoughts & questions I came up with today at work, wanted to hear what you guys thought. Hopefully will bring back some discussion in this wonderful thread.

First off, after replaying Sonic Generations for the nth time recently, it turns out that the Sonic Storybook Series is actually canon. Isn't that interesting? I got a kick out of hearing Sonic mention the Secret Rings game. Although he didn't mention Black Knight, they're still in the same "world".

This was the best source I could find, but Sonic compares the world their in to being no stranger than rescuing genies in magic books.

I was surprised after hearing it again, since Secret Rings and Black Knight have been given their own series title (Sonic Storybook Series), I would think that it wouldn't have an effect on the current and confusing canon. But, it could have been to reference these games, just because it was an anniversary title. However this game is apart of canon, so it's been done.

However, it brings us to the next and frequently asked question, why is Crisis City in Sonic Generations? I've said before that it was because it was an anniversary title, but I'm not that sure as of now. Since the end of Sonic '06 basically erased its own story, Sonic running through the flames of Crisis City with car carrying tornadoes never happened. It's a confusing matter, but I think SEGA knows how confused Sonic's fans are. I've had the thought that SEGA perhaps put Crisis City in this game to somewhat "redeem" a little respect towards the game. It was, however, Sonic's port to HD.

Also, a question I feel has some discussion behind it, where exactly is Classic Sonic from in Sonic Generations?

Oh, also I'd like to share this. I don't know how known it was, but I remember watching this on TV and getting so hyped for it.

It is a funny thing seeing Crisis City after 06's ending.

After having supposedly erased the entire incident from existence it would have erased Silver's timeline as well. I guess it could be a branching paths thing like the Zelda timeline where Generations takes place in the universe where Silver still exists and other games take place after the erasure of Solaris and all that.

There's also the fact that the Time Eater could have eaten so thoroughly through the timespace continuum that he ripped it all back into existence somehow in the process.

I haven't played Lost World but did they ever explain how Eggman got out of the dimension between he was cast into at the end of Generations?

• Brohoof 1