Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology XP support is ending... plans?

CMQuickfireTK

XP is ending!  

36 users have voted

1. 1. What will you do?

• Go to a *nix OS ( e.g. Linux, BSD, etc. )
    • Go Apple OS X
    • upgrade to Windows 7
    • sidegrade to Windows 8/8.1
    • Stick Wtih Windows XP

Considering how Windows XP support's demise is just around the corner ( April 8th ), what are your plans?

me myself, I've gone Linux, and haven't really looked back ( in fact my newly installed win7 install is ticking me off. lol ).

Edited by CMQuickfireTK
  • Brohoof 2

I moved off that archaic OS years ago, and every time I've had to deal with it since, I've not been able to fathom why people kept it. Vista was so much nicer, I never had any issues with it, and those "issues" were blown way out of proportion. 7 is just Vista rebadged, which is where I'm sitting right now. I'll probably wait for 9 before I upgrade again since M$ really botched 8 unless you have a touch screen, unless the update that's coming actually takes care of that.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

I moved off that archaic OS years ago, and every time I've had to deal with it since, I've not been able to fathom why people kept it. Vista was so much nicer, I never had any issues with it, and those "issues" were blown way out of proportion. 7 is just Vista rebadged, which is where I'm sitting right now. I'll probably wait for 9 before I upgrade again since M$ really botched 8 unless you have a touch screen, unless the update that's coming actually takes care of that.

I'm surprised you still have faith in Micro$oft! You think they won't actually mess up Windows 9?

Edited by CMQuickfireTK

Honestly aside from a few small differences you can operate Windows 8 in the exact same way as you can previous versions. They have the desktop section which acts like any other version of Windows. I rarely see the "touch screen" features. I have my desktop icons, taskbar, etc. The only thing missing is the start button in the corner. Now it's in the popup side window and just takes you to the tiles screen.

It's really not all that different, it just has a fancy coat of paint.

Edited by Discordian
  • Brohoof 1

Honestly aside from a few small differences you can operate Windows 8 in the exact same way as you can previous version. They have the desktop section which acts like any other version of Windows. I rarely see the "touch screen" features. I have my desktop icons, taskbar, etc. The only thing missing is the start button in the corner. Now it's in the popup side window and just takes you to the tiles screen.

To be honest, and I think many windows 7 users would agree, I shouldn't have to modify my install for functionality that was previously native in the previous OS.

I have Windows 8 and it is a really inefficient operating system. I am planning to switch to Linux. The only problem is Wolfram(I think) only runs on Windows, though I could probably emulate it using some Windows-programs emulation software for Linux(Wine).

tumblr_mhgwcdaPd91s4j0dco1_1280.png

Edited by BronyPony
  • Brohoof 2

Windows XP is on its last days of being alive?

Well, my families old computer which runs XP died, no way on getting it fixed soon.

All I have to stick with is my laptop with Windows 8.1.

Sure I'm going to miss it, but one thing I'll never forget, is the old 3D Pinball Space Cadet game. Glad I got it on Windows 8.1.

That's just what I like about XP.

But if I still had XP today, I may sidegrade to 8 or upgrade to ubuntu, depending on the specs.

• Brohoof 1

I stopped using that archaic OS years ago. I currently use Windows 8.1, which I find to be a wicked efficient OS and my main PC doesn't even have a touchscreen. I don't even use the Start screen anymore, I just hit Win+S and type in what I want to use to launch applications.

I'm so glad Windows XP is finally dying. That dinosaur OS should have died years ago, but noooooo, it didn't for some reason. And even when Microsoft finally pulls the plug there will still be people using it!

• Brohoof 2

Honestly aside from a few small differences you can operate Windows 8 in the exact same way as you can previous versions. They have the desktop section which acts like any other version of Windows. I rarely see the "touch screen" features. I have my desktop icons, taskbar, etc. The only thing missing is the start button in the corner. Now it's in the popup side window and just takes you to the tiles screen.

Eh, I've messed with it and did not find it that way. Way too much swapping back and forth in my usage.

I'm surprised you still have faith in Micro$oft! You think they won't actually mess up Windows 9?

Doesn't matter if I have faith in them or not really, it's the OS I pretty much will always go with for my main rig. I can't stand Linux, and OS X is only something I run on my laptops. I've been using Windows since 3.1, I can deal with skipping a version to see what transpires.

How I honestly feel about those still using XP? If you're using it, why don't you just let me borrow your rig and I'll install 3.1 for ya, I've got the floppy disks at the ready. M$ has been more then lenient with extending support this long, I wish they would have grown a pair and just done so years ago. And I wish software companies would move on as well, developing for it has got to be cutting into being able to make things better for 7 and 8. You don't see OS 9 still being supported, shoot most of the early versions of OS X are dead.  :fiery: *steps down from soapbox*

• Brohoof 2

I hate Micro$oft, but what am I gonna do? I would switch to Ubuntu, but I'm a gamer, and there are certain games I might play again (LoL, Hearthstone, Get Amped 2, etc)

Also, does anypony know if I can emulate all classic systems reliably on Linux? Specifically, I'm looking at MAME support.

• Brohoof 1

Doesn't matter if I have faith in them or not really, it's the OS I pretty much will always go with for my main rig. I can't stand Linux, and OS X is only something I run on my laptops. I've been using Windows since 3.1, I can deal with skipping a version to see what transpires.

It's funny because both are *nixes.

Eh, I've messed with it and did not find it that way. Way too much swapping back and forth in my usage.
 Windows key + S.

jogpC69.png

There, problem solved. No need to go to the Start screen anymore. Just type in what you want to launch and hit Enter.

• Brohoof 1

How I honestly feel about those still using XP? If you're using it, why don't you just let me borrow your rig and I'll install 3.1 for ya, I've got the floppy disks at the ready. M$ has been more then lenient with extending support this long, I wish they would have grown a pair and just done so years ago. And I wish software companies would move on as well, developing for it has got to be cutting into being able to make things better for 7 and 8. You don't see OS 9 still being supported, shoot most of the early versions of OS X are dead.  :fiery: *steps down from soapbox*

Linux has everlasting support.  B)

But I think software companies have mainly been developing for XP because the software for developing for it has been cheaper. Developing for higher-up operating systems costs money(which they want to avoid spending).

Coming from a developer, I can see why they do it. However, it is time to move on. Developers need to start using new development kits meant for the higher up operating systems. In my opinion, people should start using Linux instead of the crappy, expensive Windows operating systems. Heck, I think there are easy-to-use starter kits for Linux.

I hate Micro$oft, but what am I gonna do? I would switch to Ubuntu, but I'm a gamer, and there are certain games I might play again (LoL, Hearthstone, Get Amped 2, etc)

Also, does anypony know if I can emulate all classic systems reliably on Linux? Specifically, I'm looking at MAME support.

Use Wine. It allows you to emulate programs on Linux meant for Windows. It might limit some capabilities with games, but there are ways to fix those problems.

Edited by BronyPony
  • Brohoof 1

Windows key + S.

jogpC69.png

There, problem solved. No need to go to the Start screen anymore. Just type in what you want to launch and hit Enter.

Yea, just not the same. Call me stubborn and stuck in my ways, I've had my workflow setup pretty much since the Windows 95/98 days. I'll give it another shot when this next update hits and decide if I'll upgrade or wait for 9.

It's funny because both are *nixes.

That's true, but I prefer the polish of Apple's offering. I've toyed with Ubuntu and stuff, even using the "OS X" skin or whatever. Just didn't do it for me. Plus I just didn't like the added layer of compatibility getting things to run. Stuff like Adobe's Master Suite, Maya, 3DS Max, etc. all just install and run on OS X which is stuff I require.

I've installed Ubuntu on my old Dell mini 10v several times, trying out new version as they come along, and I always end up tossing OS X back on it.

Edited by The Mane-iac

But I think software companies have mainly been developing for XP because the software for developing for it has been cheaper. Developing for higher-up operating systems costs money(which they want to avoid spending).

Coming from a developer, I can see why they do it. However, it is time to move on. Developers need to start using new development kits meant for the higher up operating systems. In my opinion, people should start using Linux instead of the crappy, expensive Windows operating systems. Heck, I think there are easy-to-use starter kits for Linux.

Use Wine. It allows you to emulate programs on Linux meant for Windows. It might limit some capabilities with games, but there are ways to fix those problems.

I used Wine before. Barely even works at all. You may not get the program up but if you have luck you can. Even if you use Steam you still get games like TF2.

Edited by soniccam1

Yea, just not the same. Call me stubborn and stuck in my ways, I've had my workflow setup pretty much since the Windows 95/98 days. I'll give it another shot when this next update hits and decide if I'll upgrade or wait for 9.
 I've been using the 95/98 days too and I had very little trouble adapting my workflow for Windows 8. I honestly feel like a lot of people are exaggerating how hard it is to learn the OS, because nearly everyone I've spoken to who uses the OS day-to-day loves Windows 8.
  • Brohoof 1

I've been using the 95/98 days too and I had very little trouble adapting my workflow for Windows 8. I honestly feel like a lot of people are exaggerating how hard it is to learn the OS, because nearly everyone I've spoken to who uses the OS day-to-day loves Windows 8.

It isn't just learning the OS. I encounter so many glitches with it. For example, I have WIFI problems where it won't detect the WIFI even though it is there. Also, the airplane mode is simply not needed.

I used Wine before. Barely even works at all. You may not get the program up but if you have luck you can. Even if you use Steam you still get games like TF2.

WINE is simply an example. I bet there are other programs.

One of the only reasons I've been loyal to Windows is because after I learned how to use it as a kid, it was always the same, more or less. But if they're going to continue to allow monkeys throwing feces at a dartboard to make design changes, I might just move on to something in a Linux flavor.

I got my Windows 8 machine last year, and I was immediately floored by the agonizing stupidity of the missing start button. Yeah first thing I did was put that back. Jesus .. fffffff ..

Next time ask a user or two before you approve something like that.

• Brohoof 1

I know about Wine, and also PlayOnLinux, but they mostly only focus on games that I don't even play. Although I believe that Wine or PlayOnLinux works with LoL, maybe Hearthstone also (I'm assuming that either they started working on it, or it has native Linux support)

• Brohoof 1

I kind of understand some of the Windows 8 frustrations, to be honest. I got used to it pretty easily, because I have a programmer's mind that can really categorize how things work now, but not a lot of it is very visually kept track of when so much depends on fullscreen applications.

But blaming Microsoft for not still supporting Windows XP is IDIOTIC. STOP IT. That product came out 12 years ago; not only is that longer than just about any company has ever been expected to support software, but security and hacking efforts on the internet have advanced in technology exponentially. Being able to "connect your computer via an RJ-45 cable through a router to the World Wide Web" was still something of a novelty back then. The operating system just wasn't designed for so many different ways people would exploit it.

This might finally put a dent in China's tendency to pirate all software, though. Apparently, that country is one of the main ones still using Windows XP, and that's ultimately going to change in a week or two when the first super-viruses hit. Rumor has it, hacking sites are saving all their massive tricks for the day that they know Microsoft will not patch them.

• Brohoof 2

I kind of understand some of the Windows 8 frustrations, to be honest. I got used to it pretty easily, because I have a programmer's mind that can really categorize how things work now, but not a lot of it is very visually kept track of when so much depends on fullscreen applications.

But blaming Microsoft for not still supporting Windows XP is IDIOTIC. STOP IT. That product came out 12 years ago; not only is that longer than just about any company has ever been expected to support software, but security and hacking efforts on the internet have advanced in technology exponentially. Being able to "connect your computer via an RJ-45 cable through a router to the World Wide Web" was still something of a novelty back then. The operating system just wasn't designed for so many different ways people would exploit it.

This might finally put a dent in China's tendency to pirate all software, though. Apparently, that country is one of the main ones still using Windows XP, and that's ultimately going to change in a week or two when the first super-viruses hit. Rumor has it, hacking sites are saving all their massive tricks for the day that they know Microsoft will not patch them.

Well its true, but think of this as this way. Anyone remember the PS2. It lost support two years ago, and it was going on for 12 years too, had pretty decent games that came along with it. But heres one more thing that is known for XP.

XP didn't had that many security features put into the system. That why theres so many viruses on XP.