Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology XP support is ending... plans?

CMQuickfireTK

XP is ending!  

36 users have voted

1. 1. What will you do?

• Go to a *nix OS ( e.g. Linux, BSD, etc. )
    • Go Apple OS X
    • upgrade to Windows 7
    • sidegrade to Windows 8/8.1
    • Stick Wtih Windows XP

Oh man, I used to have one of those 6400's but it got killed in a lightning storm, wish I still had that thing. Loved the placement of the media buttons. I have a feeling 7 would run okay on it, it does run smoother than Vista, but it might not be worth it to you just to test the water. If you haven't already that is.

I'm probably going to try something like Ubuntu, to see if it works good on it. Trying to get Windows 7, would be a later idea.

Edited by pony12343

(edited)

i upgraded to windows 8 on my last labtop, my aunt however for some reason stubbernly refuses to upgrade 

I can understand, Windows 8 is a totally different beast than even 7. If she likes Windows XP so much she can go to ZorinOS, Linux version of windows ( in terms of looks at least ). lol

Edited by CMQuickfireTK

(edited)

Migrated to Win 7 64 bit and haven't looked back. 
its FAR more stable (surprisingly), and has better backwards compatibility. Games/programs I couldn't run on XP, now run like a breeze on 7... in the 64 bit enviro... as if it weren't there... Yeah I know it still only runs as a 32 bit program, but Vista 64 and XP 64 had SH*& compatibility for non-64 bit programs...

Edited by GrimCW

(edited)

Go down to the windchester, have a pint and wait for all of this to blow over.

Actually I'm gonna keep running this no longer activated install of Winblows 8.1 until finals are over and then I'm switching to Linux.

To answer this shortly, it can only run XP, or Vista, very poorly, I may add.

It's a Dell Inspiron 6400

It's running on a Centrino Duo

It has 2GB of RAM

It's fairly old also, and works very slowly.

Hard drive and Graphics are what's killing it. Win 7 runs decently enough on an HT Pentium 4 though I would also recommend some form of Linux. More specifically Linux Mint as you shouldn't have to muck about too much to have a running machine.

EDIT: Just be near a ethernet line if you decide to roll with Linux.

Edited by A Blithering Div
  • Brohoof 2

Actually I'm gonna keep running this no longer activated install of Winblows 8.1 until finals are over and then I'm switching to Linux.

EDIT: Just be near a ethernet line if you decide to roll with Linux.*

Good man!

*If you want to play it REALLY safe.

The correct response from current XP owners should have been this. Disconnect PC from internet, play Doom until the end of time.

Funny thing is, I was able to play doom on win7 lol

and still can in linux!

At least 60% of Eastern Europe will blow up in an enormous fireball

The thing is, people are too poor to shell out 400 $ for a halfway decent computer.

You could go second-hand but there's no guarantees to quality.

Also custom builds are sometimes more expensive than pre-builts

I have 7 on mine but it's been running like a pos lately

Phenom Toliman x3 2.31 GHz

Radeon 4350 POS edition 512MB DDR2

3GB ram

Funny thing is, I was able to play doom on win7 lol

and still can in linux!

Yea, I've played it on every computer I've owned since it was released. OS has never mattered. Even play it on my PSP, tablets, phones.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well, Chrome OS is always up to date! :derp: Yes, I'm being that guy...besides, Chrome OS is always up to date...but lacks support for so many things. I will soon install Ubuntu 13 once I install a larger SSD, as a 16GB SSD will not do for what I plan. :derp:

It is sad to see the OS I learned almost everything about computers on lose support though...like, I learned everything I knew on XP. While Linux is superior, you always have a soft spot for your first experiences with things. I will however, always keep a copy to show off when the time may come. And maybe one day I will install it for the nostalgia. :) I will miss you, XP.

Edited by Linux Distro

I wasn't able to afford 7 and all my computers came with XP default.  I'll probably try to find Windows 7 cheap somewhere.

Or... There is a cheaper option than that. depending on your interest and if you're the type that doesn't give up so easily.

Ahem NOOOOOO WHY XP!? VISTA WAS A HORRIBLE OFFENCE SEND THAT JUNK TO THE BOWLS OF TARDIS NOT XP! "That is my opinion"

Are you still living in 2007? This is 2014.

Or... There is a cheaper option than that. depending on your interest and if you're the type that doesn't give up so easily.

Are you still living in 2007? This is 2014.

I have used that junk of a os named Vista Xp is just as good as windows 7 performance wise windows 7 Linux learn coding for basic programs yeaaaah best thing ever I guess aside from that not switching to app os windows 8.

I have used that junk of a os named Vista Xp is just as good as windows 7 performance wise windows 7 Linux learn coding for basic programs yeaaaah best thing ever I guess aside from that not switching to app os windows 8.

whatever. Windows 8 isn't even the new vista, worse than that imo.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Thankfully Windows 8 isn't bad in the way windows ME was bad. The interface leaves much to be desired, but at least it doesn't crash on you every time you glance at it.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1

Thankfully Windows 8 isn't bad in the way windows ME was bad. The interface leaves much to be desired, but at least it doesn't crash on you every time you glance at it.

You have a point there mind if I ask what features we all will miss from xp my favorite was simple right click gif set as desktop with no need to install third party software to have the darn thing work.

(edited)

You have a point there mind if I ask what features we all will miss from xp my favorite was simple right click gif set as desktop with no need to install third party software to have the darn thing work.

I'm a linux guy so I don't really have a firm grasp of what was taken away from XP in terms of features. I only use the windows side of my machine for software development and ocasionally gaming. I've installed a third party start button because that was one feature that almost defined my workflow when I used Windows. That was my biggest issue; once you have one of these, Windows 8 is usable as a desktop OS. (But you basically turn it into windows 7)

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1