Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is there lots of misanthropes in this fandom?

Bendy

Are the majority or minority of Bronies misanthropes?  

39 users have voted

1. 1. Are the majority or minority of Bronies misanthropes?

• Minority.
    • Majority.
    • Not sure.

But misanthropy isn't a "side" or a philosophy, it's just an incredibly immature reaction to the world's problems.

That is your opinion it seems... But what is it you hope to gain? How is shaming people for having a stance you do not agree with going to help with anything?

I'm kinda curious to see where you are coming, that web of ideas that shape this sentiment. Care to debate me about it? There's already a thread about Misanthropy in the debate section. Let's hear exactly what you have to say about this reaction to the world's problems. All of it.

For some reason, if a human dies in a story, or sometimes even in real life, I feel very little empathy for them. But if a unnamed background pony so much as gets maimed in a story, a tiny part of me dies.

Crap, am I a misanthrope?

We must unite humanity! And instead turn our hatred to the filthy xenos that plagues our galaxy.

*picks up lasgun*

My most optimistic estimation is that 70%-85% members of the fandom are unclean.
unclean heretics that needs to be purged my lord?

Is it just me or does Rush start one of these *every day*?

Misanthropy is neither new nor uncommon in the prevailing age range here. Given that the show takes place in a world without humans, it kinda lends itself more to stories about the big bad world of people clashing with the world of ponies. Is it overdone in fanfic? Maybe. Maybe, just don't read them?

Really the continuing fascination with this is more bizarre.

I think it's a mix, really.  The misanthropes can just be louder because of the grass being greener on the other side.

Personally, I think that the pony world is a little bit better than the human world, but is by no means perfect.  Even ignoring the outright evil that exists in Equestria, ponies also have their share of jerks and bullies, just like humans. 

My philosophy is until we find out otherwise, all we have is each other. So I will do what's needed to build up others around me when needed, and try to turn this world into Equestria. Although if a portal to Equestria opened up and I had only a few seconds to jump through, I would jump through without hesitation.

What you mention here is probably the weakest point in misanthropy.   Humans are awful... compared to what? Is there some other sapient species out there we can compare ourselves to?   Trying to compare us to other non-sapient animals is a pointless apples to oranges comparison. Animals are incapable of being immoral, but only because no meaningful moral weight can be applied to what they do. They can't be good or bad, they can only act out their natures and follow their instinct.   The thing that is special about humans is that we can feel bad about what we do and reconsider our how our actions affect others.

Why yes, you right about that. "terrible" is a very general term, indeed. I wasn't even referencing to other animals, because I know how cruel nature is.

So let me refrace that standpoint a little. Humans have a lot of negative charactaristics, like hypocracy, discrimination and a sense of supiority. Every single human in this world is subject to these things, even if they don't want to admit it. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, because it is all part of our survival mechanism, but it also leads to a lot unnecessary conflict.

I love humans myself, because we also have a lot of great features. And not only that, but we NEED each other in order to survive and prosper ourselves. However, I can understand that people hate humans, especially when they have been a victim of humanities negative part a lot. 

• 7 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2014-03-30 at 1:41 PM, Bendy said:

Yeah, but then there's people that hate their own species so much, that they write stories about Ponies killing all Humans and that's a 'good thing' to them. Because all Humans are 'evil' apparently, and only way we can be saved is by being turned into a bunch of pastel Ponies. That right there is Reaper from Mass Effect logic.

Oh yeah it probably is far than just a Kid show anymore it very mature and evolve into a show for everyone

22 hours ago, phantompone1148 said:

What even is a misanthrope?

misanthrope
[ˈmis(ə)nˌTHrōp, ˈmiz(ə)nˌTHrōp]

NOUN
  1. a person who dislikes humankind and avoids human society.
    "Scrooge wasn't the mean-spirited misanthrope most of us believe him to be"
    synonyms:
    hater of mankind · cynic · skeptic · churl · grouch · grump · recluse · hermit · anchorite · hikikomori

there your answer to your Question

I'm not a fan of the human species as a whole. In sci-fi and fantasy I almost always sympathize with the aliens or mythological beings. If I actually met aliens I'm sure they would piss me off as a species as much as humans but I never will, that's the beauty of fiction.

So I can't speak for all bronies but probably quite a few feel the same.

• Brohoof 1

I'm here and in this fandom for less than a year, so take my answer with caution:

I wouldn't say the majority of the fandom are misanthropes, but certainly I think the majority of ppl in the fandom are disappointed in one or another way by people. At least this is the feeling I have for the most time when write with other MLP fans. This doesn't make one automatically a misanthropist. But yes I have also encountered some them too, but they seem in a minority.

I think that there are only a few misanthropes in the MLP fandom, and the same with any other fandom to be honest. There will always be X in Y fandom because in a large or even a small fandom, there is always someone doing something morally wrong and it has nothing to do with the fandom itself.