Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which of these axes would be the best to buy?

yeet

Okay, so basically we are going to be getting an axe (not pickaxe) and I don't know which one would be the best to get.
http://search.diy.com/search#w=Axe&asug=
That link should work. If anyone could help me then it would be great, any questions I will be happy to answer.

it will mainly be for pruning and some wood cutting, so i was looking more at the smaller axes, but i dont know if that would be better for what i would like to do.

Edited by Brechard

(edited)

Okay, well Ill check them ones out a bit then, they look quite good for chopping wood and such, but what I currently need from one is one that can prune stuff (if that's what it's called) and I was looking at their hatchet, but I'll check the bigger axes out as well.

not for personal defense, but if someone invades my house it will be quite useful.

im thinking about getting either the garant total control hatchet, and the spear & jackson 1.5lb hatchet.

Edited by Brechard

im tempted to get the 2.5lb one. it is 19" and doesnt seem to way a lot. i dont know if it would be any good for pruning or chopping some wood up.

If only for pruning and wood cutting then go for something cheap like the B&Q Axe soft grip handle. 

In case of zombies however, go for the tomahawk. Good luck.

EV-BK-UC2765_United_Cutlery_M48_Hawk_Axe

Edited by Fluttershyfan94
  • Brohoof 1

It depends largely on the use. For chopping wood, you'll definitely need something larger, such as the S&J 4.5, but for smaller branches and kindling, a hatchet will serve nicely. My family uses a Fiskars axe (2 actually), and they have been quite reliable so far, but the one on that site is too small for chopping fire wood or anything similar. I would recommend getting an axe and a hatchet rather than looking for something that does both jobs, but if that isn't an option, go with whatever you need most.

(edited)

okay, well i dont think it is an option, since we wont need any firewood till summer ill just get a hatchet for pruning, and chopping up some wood from a bench in our garden i destroyed today.

do you have the fiskar that is in that list?

Edited by Brechard

do you have the fiskar that is in that list?

Not the exact same, but a similar model, as well as an axe. Both do their respective jobs well, but the smaller simply isn't big enough for heavier work which requires more power, something to bear in mind. The handle is lightweight, hollow fiberglass (unless I mis-remember), but is still strong and in mint condition. The axe head has small scratches and dings, naturally, but the edge has held well and it has yet to see any corrosion. Like anything, if you take good care of it, it will take good care of you.

okay, well would you recommend that above them all for pruning and chopping from a bench? 
I don't have any experience with the other ones, so I can't say. Researching customer reviews is your best bet, preferably on sites not affiliated with the manufacturer or retailer. As for the bench, it depends on how salvageable you need the wood to be. With patience you could chop it apart and keep the planks more or less whole, even chop it into kindling, but if you just wanna smash the dang thing from here to next Tuesday, get an axe and go crazy buddy, just remember eye protection.  Edited by Frith is Magick

I don't think B&Q do battle axes.

Some of the ones I was looking at dont have any customer reviews on the website, and yes I just want to smash the shit outof the bench really, but we will probably use it for firewood so I'm just gonna chop it up. I'm gonna look at some more reviews online.

I think you should get both a long and short handled axe, the short axe allows you to make short controlled swings to chop at smaller stuff (small limbs and branches etc) and a long handled axe to make long hard swings on materials that need more inertia to get the job done.

With whatever you choose good luck! :lol:

Thanks, well I'm just gonna go there at the weekend and see what they have, no point in deciding to get one and then its out of stock.