Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should I Write a Post Apocalyptic Fanfics?

Irish Mist

Now, I've been planning on writing a Metro 2033/Roadside Picnic inspired fanfic for, oh say, a year now. I'm really passionate about it and I've been painstakingly trying to figure out the universe, characters, etc. But now the question I have is, would anyone even read it? 

I tend to see this big hype over everything Fallout Equestria related but do any other fics in the genre of post-apocalyptic get any recognition? I'm just worried that I've spent all this time for something that will only end up getting less than one-hundred readers and it's kind of starting to destroy my hopes of actually starting it. 

You write when you want to write. Not because you expect people to look at it. That's always a nice thing and if you do an amazing job to an extent you should expect viewers, but... If that's your main reason for writing, you shouldn't be.

(edited)

Hello . Just so you know, I have moved your thread to the Creative Resources section so that you can receive further feedback on your fan fiction question.

And while I am here, I will offer my thoughts on the matter. Simply because a basic premise, setting etc. has already been done before should be no reason to stop you from pursuing your own creative endeavors or ideas. Everyone holds their own interpretations and perspectives, which can help add further depth and imagination to a seemingly oversaturated genre (in this, post apocalyptic). There is always something different to explore and new ideas to be implemented; some may work while others may fail, but you will not know such answers until you try. This is how one begins to grow as an artist, by taking risks and being open to critique and constructive criticism.

In any case, I do wish you the best on your fan fiction and I hope that you will indeed move forward with your ideas. And do not worry about potential readers or lack thereof, as this will only discourage your progress. Write for yourself and the experience, as readers will surely follow. Take care.

Edited by SkyBound
  • Brohoof 1