Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who are your favorite & least favorite "key-bearing" characters (so far)?

Chuckles4lyfe

Your Favorite & Least Favorite "Key" Character   

48 users have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite "key" character?

• Coco Pommel & the Spool of Generosity
    • Spitfire & the Badge of Loyalty
    • Cheese Sandwich & the Rubber Chicken of Laughter
    • Seabreeze & the Flower of Kindness
    • Silver Shill & the Bit of Honesty
  2. 2. Who is your least favorite "key" character?

• Coco Pommel
    • Spitfire
    • Cheese Sandwich
    • Seabreeze
    • Silver Shill

Hey everyone, hope you're all having a fantastic day  :lol:!

This is a simple 2 question poll, who is your favorite and least favorite "key" character in the show so far? I only say so far now because Twilight still has yet to receive her key, and whose to say that a new character will be introduced to give it to her? I personally don't think that'll happen, but the show has surprised me in the past before.

My favorite key bearer is Cheese Sandwich. Do I even need to explain why he's my favorite at this point? He's the most developed of the bunch and I felt that he worked perfectly as a foil for Pinkie. He didn't feel shoehorned in, is probably one of the most memorable characters of season 4!

My least favorite key-bearer award goes to Silver Shill. Sorry any Shill fans out there, but I just found him so bland and uninteresting. He felt like a 2nd rate version of Coco Pommel imo, and his dialogue with AJ at the end of the episode was just worded so awkwardly. It didn't feel natural at all.

If there's anything positive I can say about Silver Shill, it's that he was voiced by Ian James Corrlet. He's Claire Corrlet's (Sweetie Belle VA) father and also happened to voice Goku of DBZ for the Ocean Dub. If the only thing I can compliment a character on is their voice actor, it probably means that they didn't leave that big of an impression on me.

So yeah, let me know your favorite and least favorite characters are :D  

• Brohoof 1

My favorite 'key' character so far easily goes to Cheese Sandwich, who is now one of my favorite ponies. My least favorite would probably be Seabreeze, if I had to pick one, he's just a 'meh' character to me. Silver Shill would be my second least favorite since he was also a 'meh' character, a 'meh' character with a nice voice.

Favorite to least favorite, I'd probably rate it as so:

1. Cheese Sandwich
  2. Coco Pommel 
  3. Spitfire
  4. Silver Shill
  5. Seabreeze
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

My list: 

1. Cheese Sandwich

2. Coco Pommel

3. Seabreeze

4. Spitfire (she would be last if she had no appearances prior)

5. Silver Shill

I don't dislike any of them though, which I suppose is good.

EDIT: I changed my list in a later post.

Edited by DryColt84
  • Brohoof 1

Seabreeze is a true MAN.

And Cheese Sandwich is cool, but there was a bit too much hype around him for my hipster tastes. If I had to order them because we're apparently doing that now:

1. Seabreeze

2. Coco Pommel

3. Spitfire

4. Silver Shill

5. Cheese Sandwich

• Brohoof 1

So far, I've liked all of the key-bearers, with the exception of Spitfire; I just like some more than others though. Cheese Sandwich is definitely my favorite, and one of my favorite characters in general. I really like Seabreeze for whatever reason, and Coco Pommel is nice too. Silver Shill was alright; I liked him, but I feel the previously mentioned ones were better.

And as for Spitfire; I really disliked her attitude in that episode, so, yeah.

1. Cheese Sandwich

2. Seabreeze

3. Coco Pommel

4. Silver Shill

5. Spitfire

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Seabreeze is a true MAN.

And Cheese Sandwich is cool, but there was a bit too much hype around him for my hipster tastes. If I had to order them because we're apparently doing that now:

1. Seabreeze

2. Coco Pommel

3. Spitfire

4. Silver Shill

5. Cheese Sandwich

A hipster watching MLP as it's becoming more mainstream? What will you do if it finally hits that status?

Edited by DryColt84
  • Brohoof 1

A hipster watching MLP as it's becoming more mainstream? What will you do if it finally hits that status?

lol no I'm not actually a hipster I just have random moments where my perception of a character is solely shaped by their popularity

• Brohoof 1

I know, I was trying to be humorous.....and failing........again.  >_>

l2troll nub

No but I did sort of figure that's what you were going for. I dunno, I can derp sometimes.

Favorite - Cheese Sandwich no question

Least Favorite - It was either between Spitfire or Shill. I'm willing to throw Spitfire a bone both because she's an existing character and because she was shoddily written in a shoddily written episode. Shill though was just really dull, like his episode

• Brohoof 1

Cheese Sandwich was awesome. Not only was he the best keybearing character, "Pinkie Pride" was the best of the keybearing episodes. Weird Al has been one of my favorite singers since I was in high school and it was awesome to have him show up in MLP. 

My least favorite is a tough choice between Silver Shill and Seabreeze. Silver Shill was a very weak character, and his confession and redemption at the end of the episode was poorly done, I think. It sounded like the "I've learned something today" speeches at the end of South Park. Instead of discussing the need to be honest in a way that could be boiled down in show discussions to it's essentials, he basically came right out and gave us the "moral of the story" word-for-word, much like other cartoons with less depth do all the time. I enjoyed the episode, but not the character. As far as Seabreeze, I just found all of the Breezies annoying, and felt that the kindness key could have been done with existing animals or even other ponies, as Fluttershy was long overdue for an episode in which she overcomes some of her shyness to be kind to another pony instead of a bumblebee or whatever. 

1. Cheese Sandwich

2. Spitfire

3. Coco

4. Silver Shill

5. Seabreeze 

(The last two are interchangeable)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Who is your favorite "key" character?

Without question, Cheese Sandwich. Weird Al's guest appearance gave his character a ton of hype; he not only fulfilled it, but surpassed it. An amazing character with a ton of passion and heart, and a great foil without making him antagonistic. There's so much that makes Pinkie Pride the greatest key (and season-four episode, period) so far; Cheese Sandwich and his chemistry with Pinkie and the rest of Ponyville are major factors.

Who is your least favorite "key" character?

Spitfire for being an out-of-character jackass for no good reason and had to have the concept of loyalty rehashed to her face. I've ripped apart how sloppily written she was before, so I don't need to do it again.

I would've chosen Silver Shill, but it's better to be boring and in character than out of character.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 3

Well, in order, here are my favorites:

1. Coco Pommel

2. Cheese Sandwich

3. Seabreeze

4. Spitfire

5. Silver Shill

I personally thought Coco's story was the most touching - she quit her job and was ready to face a tough life on the streets of Manehattan, all in order to do the right thing for Rarity.  She put everything on the line, with no guarantee that she'd still have the means to support herself.  That is sacrifice, and the rainbow spool seems a truly fitting symbol of her connection to Rarity.  (And I was very happy with the resolution there - Rarity giving Coco her job.  Talk about a win-win!)

Great as Cheese Sandwich was, I felt the magnitude of his key wasn't quite as great as that of Coco's - he had a spare rubber chicken ready at hand, after all, and in the end, he simply left to continue doing his job somewhere else.  He would have gone on to continue planning parties in other towns no matter how things happened in Ponyville, so while this was a positive learning experience for both him and Pinkie Pie, it wasn't a big sacrifice for him to give her his rubber chicken.

Much as I disliked the Breezies episode, I thought Seabreeze's gift to Flutterbreezeshy was touching, both because he'd gone from being a colossal jerk to a kind and grateful creature, and because that particular flower was something Fluttershy was unlikely to find in Equestria.  While I'm sure it wasn't really much of a sacrifice for him, it was a kind gesture, and very fitting for the episode.

Spitfire's key came off as a bit disingenuous - she had just spent the episode lying to Rainbow Dash, subverting Soarin, and trying to sabotage the Ponyville team.  She was clearly the villain of this episode, so the only reasonable explanation for her behavior that I can think of is that she'd been "testing" Rainbow Dash's willingness to do the right thing as some sort of subtle entrance criteria.  But if that's what the writers had been going for, they did a terrible job conveying that.  I think the pin would have meant a helluva lot more coming from Soarin - after all, it was his honor Rainbow Dash ended up defending.

The only reason Silver Shill takes a lower spot than Spitfire was that I just didn't feel much of any connection to him whatsoever.  Spitfire might have been evil, but Shill was basically just a nobody - of course he was a hired plant for the Flim Flam Brothers, and of course he had his own struggle with doing the right thing.  But that was it.  The "key" he gave Applejack was the equivalent of a dollar bill.  Currency.  I get that he was excited for having made his first bit selling something - that's a big accomplishment for anyone in retail sales.  But surely he wasn't completely broke up to that point?  I just felt that the emotional value of the bit was completely lost on me, especially with the ham-fisted moral-bashing they were doing there.  So IMO, Shill ended up being the overall weakest character and having the weakest key - that whole thing really rubbed me the wrong way, honestly.

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

Yeah Silver Shill was definitely the worst, but that's because he's an antagonist at first.

As for my favorite, I prefered Seabreeze over Cheese Sandwish and Coco Pommel.

Edited by BlobuIle

Cheese Sandwich was my favorite, because he had real connection with Pinkie, even before they properly meet each other. She changed his life years before the events in Pinkie Pride.

Least favorite? Spirfire. And it's a shame, because we knew her before Rainbow Falls and I LOVED her as a character. But not anymore, I guess. At the end I felt as if she didn't really learn anything and I hate fact, that they portrayed Wonderbolts as jerks. It wasn't necessary and Rainbow Falls was definitely the weakest key episode.

• Brohoof 1

My favorite is a bit of a tie between Cheese Sandwhich because he is a pony Weird Al and Seabreeze for his smart ass remarks and delightfully foul mouth. Least favorite is Spitfire for being so ridiculously out of character, I like Spitfire in all of her other appearances but like I said out of character.

I really don't have a "favorite" key-giving character.

Coco was adorable, but not that special.

SpitFire is badass, but she's a b*tch.

Cheese Sandwich was funny, but not that great.

SeaBreeze was definitely the voice of reason, but was utterly annoying.

Silver Shill just pissed me off for no particular reason. His design is hideous and he is annoying as hell.

Yes, I have an issue with each of them xD

However, my favorite keys are the bit, the thread, and the badge.

My favorite key bearing character so far is, Cheese Sandwich because not only was he a good foil to Pinkie Pie he was also a character that has a strong chemistry with Pinkie Pie.

Besides Spitfire being OOC in Rainbow Falls, I'm going with Silver Shill because he was only lying to help the Flim Flam Brothers and the key was questionable.

(edited)

I'm kinda torn between either Cheese Sandwich or Coco as my favorite key givers, but in the end I went with Coco because, while Cheese is a fun and interesting character he didn't really need to be reminded/taught about the Element of Laughter. Coco on the other hand was reminded about the power of Generosity after Suri had drilled in her head for so long that it was everypony for themselves.

For least favorite, Silver Shill didn't really stand out the much to me. He was just...there, not to mention that his moment of realization kinda came out of left field like his only purpose in the episode was to be a means with which AJ received her key and not as a character in his own right. Spitfire comes as a close second because her and Fleetfoot were nothing more than a pair of artificial antagonists. They only acted like total jerks because the script needed an antagonist and it kinda flew in the face of all of Spitfire's previous appearances. Come to think of it, Spitfire seems to have a different personality every time she appears: nice at first, then a drill sergeant and now a total egotistical and elitist jerk.

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 1

Coco Pommel, without a doubt.

Honestly; without her, Rarity would've stayed in Manehattan :( (From the show's standpoint, that is)

I would've DIED if Rarity left the show!! I would leave the fandom, no questions asked. She's what makes me a brony, anyway, to be honest :D 

Well, at least a dedicated one; if she wasn't in the show, my favorite pony would be Applejack, and I'd be a casual fella just leaving reviews on Saturdays and what not. It definitely wouldn't be as fun, that's for sure.

If she was written out of the show, though, I'd just leave, nothing else to it. I'd sign out of all the brony based sites I'm on and take most of my pony stuff and box it up, leaving out a singular Rarity plush.

So, Coco saved Rarity from leaving Ponyville, and for that, I love her the most out of all the key-bearers :D

On the other hoof, my least favorite is Silver Shill.

He pretty much took away from the episode, giving what is, without a doubt in my mind, the crappiest key out of them all so far. He had an annoying voice and an irritating personality to match, and had little to no impact on the episode past helping out the FlimFlam brothers and giving the key. He was a pretty useless character past that, which, was not the case for the other 4 key-bearers thus far; even Coco, who just had a couple of moments to herself, saved Rarity from leaving Manehattan, essentially.

What the hell did Silver Shill do?

He was also an irritating character with a poor design and horrid voice acting.

In short, he had little impact on the episode (none outside of his pre-determined roles) and had a boring personality with a poor character design and obnoxious voice acting :D

• Brohoof 3