Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The neighborhood of Burlingame

caddyalan

It's just over two weeks before the con starts. Unfortunately, I don't know much about the neighborhood around the hotel. Some things I'd like to know about the area before arriving at San Francisco Airport...

* Local food: I found a few nearby restaurants by checking maps of the area. I'm hoping to find food in the area that's easy to get to, and neither overpriced nor low-quality junk food.

* Relative safety: I know from attending other cons that it's unwise to show off expensive things when walking outside, especially after dark. But will I need to call a cab if it's late at night, and I need to get back to my hotel?

* Likewise, how easy is it to find a cab?

* Is there anything else notable about the hotel area?

Well, I lived in San Jose/Santa Clara before, and honestly, I don't know THAT much about Burlingame since I don't go there much.

One note is that you shouldn't leave near the afternoon or early evening; Highway 101 is usually congested at that time. 

Also, there's Stanford in Palo Alto. You should go see that. 

It's just over two weeks before the con starts. Unfortunately, I don't know much about the neighborhood around the hotel. Some things I'd like to know about the area before arriving at San Francisco Airport...

* Local food: I found a few nearby restaurants by checking maps of the area. I'm hoping to find food in the area that's easy to get to, and neither overpriced nor low-quality junk food.

* Relative safety: I know from attending other cons that it's unwise to show off expensive things when walking outside, especially after dark. But will I need to call a cab if it's late at night, and I need to get back to my hotel?

* Likewise, how easy is it to find a cab?

* Is there anything else notable about the hotel area?

The area is actually fairly quiet. Burlingame isn't much of a tourist area, but there are a lot of travelers at KSFO, so the food is decent and moderately priced.

As for getting a cab, it depends on the distance. Any more than 2 or three blocks, you should cab or use muni if it is late. The cabs in the Bay Area are mostly radio dispatched, so if you call the company, it should be fairly easy.

If by "notable about the hotel area" you mean attractions, then there is, of course San Francisco, and stuff like Ghiradeli, the USS Pampanito, Cable cars, GG bridge, USS Hornet, etc.

If that's not what you mean, then not really.

I'm not sure where you are staying but even though the area is technically Burlingame, it is right outside of San Francisco and right near the airport.  Mostly in that area are other airport hotels.  I have not been there late at night but it is pretty quiet there since it is all hotels and I don't think safety will be an issue. You can certainly ask the hotel if you are concerned but I think a lot of con attendees are staying at other hotels as well and will be walking outside too.

It's not threatening like walking in a city at night.  The only reason to be in that area is if you are flying somewhere or attending a convention.

And since these are airport hotels, I imagine the cabs are very accessible and that concierge can certainly get one for you if you need it.

San Francisco city is not far but can take a while to get to depending on traffic.  In that case a cab would probably get expensive if you wanted to go in and check it out.  So you might want to either share a cab with felllow con folks or find about more about public transportation.  But right around Burlingame there probably isn't going to be much going on unless you find a hotel in the area that has something going on.

I don't know if you looked at the schedule but it looks really full.  I don't think you are going to have much time to worry about it!

I hope that helps.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not sure where you are staying but even though the area is technically Burlingame, it is right outside of San Francisco and right near the airport.  Mostly in that area are other airport hotels.  I have not been there late at night but it is pretty quiet there since it is all hotels and I don't think safety will be an issue. You can certainly ask the hotel if you are concerned but I think a lot of con attendees are staying at other hotels as well and will be walking outside too.

It's not threatening like walking in a city at night.  The only reason to be in that area is if you are flying somewhere or attending a convention.

And since these are airport hotels, I imagine the cabs are very accessible and that concierge can certainly get one for you if you need it.

San Francisco city is not far but can take a while to get to depending on traffic.  In that case a cab would probably get expensive if you wanted to go in and check it out.  So you might want to either share a cab with felllow con folks or find about more about public transportation.  But right around Burlingame there probably isn't going to be much going on unless you find a hotel in the area that has something going on.

I don't know if you looked at the schedule but it looks really full.  I don't think you are going to have much time to worry about it!

I hope that helps.

Burlingame isn't really threatening. Berkeley and Oakland has more crime issues, but overall the San Jose and San Francisco area is relatively calm. 

There's a BART station not far from Burlingame due north on El Camino Real, due south of the San Francisco International Airport. 

Sadly, I won't be going to BABScon since I don't live in the Bay Area anymore; currently living in the Orange County down south. 

Burlingame isn't really threatening. Berkeley and Oakland has more crime issues, but overall the San Jose and San Francisco area is relatively calm. 

There's a BART station not far from Burlingame due north on El Camino Real, due south of the San Francisco International Airport. 

Sadly, I won't be going to BABScon since I don't live in the Bay Area anymore; currently living in the Orange County down south. 

Southwest airlines is having a sale!  :-)

And I should clarify when I said I have not been there at night.  Actually I have been there at night but I was in my hotel room all evening.  It was very quiet in the area though.

Southwest airlines is having a sale!  :-)

And I should clarify when I said I have not been there at night.  Actually I have been there at night but I was in my hotel room all evening.  It was very quiet in the area though.

I'm 15, and while I do have spring break within two weeks, I can't just tell my parents to make a seven hour drive northward. 

Thanks for the replies. My main goals with this thread are 1) to find convenient and decent food near the con, and 2) to understand how much I should look for a cab if I'm leaving the con late at night. Hopefully I made that clear...

As far as I can tell, there should be some restaurants within a few minutes' walk which are neither terrible nor horribly overpriced. For instance, I know from attending Anime Central that it's counterproductive to walk three blocks' north just to go to an average McDonalds, since there's better food right next to the con site that's only slightly pricy. And yes, I have walked in some cities and unfamiliar neighborhoods after dark.

This will be the first time I'll be in San Francisco as an adult. I will have some time before/after Babscon to tour the city. Will be using trains, and either focus on sightseeing with Citypass, or take it easy and use a Muni passport to get to destinations.

So, is it true the area is a dry county?
There's a sports bar and a wine bar in the hotel, three liquor stores within a mile, and Babscon is having a party floor with alcohol.  If it's a dry county the police are doing a really bad job of enforcing it xD
  • Brohoof 1

where did you even hear that?

I actually did a double take when I was told about it at a meetup, since, as Simon had mentioned, there was supposed to be alcohol on the party floor.

If anyone wants a fancy, old-fashioned restaurant at which to eat, look up Iron Gate in Belmont. They're about 15-20 minutes away from the convention, and they serve French cuisine (flambé, soufflé, etc), though it can be pricey. Lunch runs around $25 per person, and dinner can be $40-$100 per person. An example of their food:

Took my father there for his birthday, we ordered:

pre-dinner cocktails

Caesar salad (prepared tableside)

Abalone almondine

Chateaubriand (sautéed tableside) - this serves 2-4 people

Grand Marnier soufflé

coffee

Tab was $200.

We went there for Father's Day as well, and we had:

Caesar salad

Veal saltimboca

Steak Diane

Tab was $100.

Edited by AstralTide

I went to the venue for another convention a while back. I don't remember seeing much. There's a cinema across the street and a restaurant within walking distance. I don't remember much else besides other hotels.

There's a sports bar and a wine bar in the hotel, three liquor stores within a mile, and Babscon is having a party floor with alcohol.  If it's a dry county the police are doing a really bad job of enforcing it xD

is the party Nieghham night? Is there going to be an age limit?!?!?!

is the party Nieghham night? Is there going to be an age limit?!?!?!

Nope.  Neighham Night is the concert which is open to everybody.  The party floor is a section of hotel rooms that are reserved for people who the con approved to throw a party and those are for the most part going to be 21 plus from what I have heard.